Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Jul 2015, 15:48 (Ref:3558996)   #1
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSCC Croft Nostalgia W'end 8/9th Aug 2015

What has become an annual event at Croft is not far off. Just found out that one of the flying displays (Sunday only I think) will be the Vulcan bomber.
Old 16 Jul 2015, 17:07 (Ref:3559012)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
What has become an annual event at Croft is not far off. Just found out that one of the flying displays (Sunday only I think) will be the Vulcan bomber.
Really enjoyed my visit there first year it was held, despite my Delta breaking it's rear suspension! (My fault anyway...) Unfortunately clashes again with OldTimer at Nurburgring, but would be back like a shot if nothing doing across the channel....

Old 16 Jul 2015, 19:34 (Ref:3559037)   #3
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Hoping to call in as will be just up the road at the Imp Club National weekend at Darlington.....
Old 17 Jul 2015, 07:55 (Ref:3559125)   #4
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been planning this trip for ages, really looking forward to visiting the only circuit in the uk that I've not ticked off my list! HSCC + the memorabilia displays on land and in the air, should be good weekend Just need the weather to be kindly
Old 17 Jul 2015, 08:39 (Ref:3559132)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Just found out that one of the flying displays (Sunday only I think) will be the Vulcan bomber.
Are you sure? Vulcan to the Sky's website shows no activity that weekend. The Vulcan is doing a flypast at the Tees Valley Airport air display on August 29th.

The website only shows confirmed dates, so of course it's still possible that a flight that weekend may be planned but not yet definite.
Old 17 Jul 2015, 09:17 (Ref:3559135)   #6
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Are you sure? .....
As sure as I can be:

http://www.croftcircuit.co.uk/news/4...nostalgia-2015

One high-speed and two low-speed flypasts weather permitting it says.
Old 17 Jul 2015, 09:40 (Ref:3559139)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
As sure as I can be:

http://www.croftcircuit.co.uk/news/4...nostalgia-2015

One high-speed and two low-speed flypasts weather permitting it says.
Looks good! Odd that Vulcan to the Sky's website doesn't show it - in fact they seem to be missing the best part of a month mid-season!

I just hope that there will be a break in racing during the flypasts!
Old 21 Jul 2015, 13:48 (Ref:3560021)   #8
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post

I just hope that there will be a break in racing during the flypasts!
Remember being at Cadwell for a VSCC meeting one time when a Lancaster came over a did a few passes.....obviously having a nosy whilst en-route elsewhere......the racing got ignored for a few minutes, I'm afraid....
Old 21 Jul 2015, 14:00 (Ref:3560024)   #9
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
On the Sunday at Croft (where racing isn't normally permitted until after 12-noon due to noise restrictions) in the last couple of years for the Nostalgia meeting they've been allowed to race from the morning - with races alternating with track parades. So it goes in the order of - race, track parade (e.g. WWII military vehicles), race, track parade (e.g. classic cars) and so on - I think it takes advantage of a noise exemption; it's the only meeting of the year they do in that way.

It can be a bit disruptive for some (e.g. the marshals don't get the opportunity to have a look around the displays, cars etc on the morning) but it seems to work generally well for spectators to see a mix of 'action'. So it may well be that they time the Vulcan for one of these gaps in between races - easier said than done of course!
Old 21 Jul 2015, 21:05 (Ref:3560126)   #10
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I've been planning this trip for ages, really looking forward to visiting the only circuit in the uk that I've not ticked off my list! HSCC + the memorabilia displays on land and in the air, should be good weekend Just need the weather to be kindly
The weather can be quite Spa like. All part of the fun really!
Old 21 Jul 2015, 22:19 (Ref:3560138)   #11
Cookie2000
Rookie

England
England
Cookie2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
The weather can be quite Spa like. All part of the fun really!
Was it two, or three years ago, when the track was literally a "spa"? Even the local farmer with his water pump and bowser wasn't able to clear the swimming pool at the first corner!
Old 21 Jul 2015, 22:23 (Ref:3560140)   #12
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
If the Vulcan does do a low level pass and then takes off, that'll solve Croft's noise problem.....everything else will seem very quiet in comparison
Old 22 Jul 2015, 03:31 (Ref:3560175)   #13
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie2000 View Post
Was it two, or three years ago, when the track was literally a "spa"? Even the local farmer with his water pump and bowser wasn't able to clear the swimming pool at the first corner!
Yep.

But they seemed to know almost to the minute how long it was going to take to clear and for the track to become viable again.

That was a really great weekend with all the weather changes one might expect. No snow or hail though as far as I can recall.
Old 22 Jul 2015, 05:29 (Ref:3560186)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
If the Vulcan does do a low level pass and then takes off
Takes off? Are they going to land the thing at Croft? Not sure the little grass strip is long or wide enough.....

Old 22 Jul 2015, 07:54 (Ref:3560207)   #15
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it does it could also solve the water problem! Do they still use those jet engine blow driers at Santa Pod that they had in the 80's?
Old 22 Jul 2015, 10:00 (Ref:3560218)   #16
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Takes off? Are they going to land the thing at Croft? Not sure the little grass strip is long or wide enough.....

The extension paddock (or whatever it's called) is one of the old runways - a landing might be a little bit messy, though, & a take-off doubtful . . .
Old 22 Jul 2015, 12:00 (Ref:3560235)   #17
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Ah - loose wording......"has the throttles yanked open" might have been better Whatever - its gloriously loud!
Old 3 Aug 2015, 14:57 (Ref:3563523)   #18
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been trying to find a timetable for the weekend but neither the HSCC or Croft seem to have any information. As I'm making the long trek from Sussex I'll have to leave reasonably early on Sunday for work the next day, just wondering what events I'm likely to miss leaving at 3pm.
If any other ten tenthers are going I'd love to meet up as I shall be on my own since my colleague has had to cry off at the last minute! Accommodation already booked and paid for so I'm in for a long drive!
Old 3 Aug 2015, 16:17 (Ref:3563534)   #19
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Vulcan's scheduled for 15:00 - I wouldn't leave before that..

Here's the provisional timetable http://1drv.ms/1IAFAjQ

I'll be around the Historic FF2000 area for a lot of the time (ancient Talbot motorhome, blue EZ-Up). You'd be very welcome to share a beer with us, justracing.

Last edited by Alan Morgan; 3 Aug 2015 at 16:23.
Old 3 Aug 2015, 16:27 (Ref:3563535)   #20
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
The Vulcan's scheduled for 15:00 - I wouldn't leave before that..

Here's the provisional timetable http://1drv.ms/1IAFAjQ

I'll be around the Historic FF2000 area for a lot of the time (ancient Talbot motorhome, blue EZ-Up). You'd be very welcome to share a beer with us, justracing.
Many thanks, I'll look out for you Used to live in your part of the woods many years back, apprenticed at BAC, Weybridge.
Old 3 Aug 2015, 16:28 (Ref:3563536)   #21
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to work there as well, in the mould loft. Probably a bit later as it was BAe then.
Old 3 Aug 2015, 16:32 (Ref:3563538)   #22
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
I used to work there as well, in the mould loft. Probably a bit later as it was BAe then.
It was Vickers Armstrong when I started! - 1964
Old 3 Aug 2015, 16:33 (Ref:3563539)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I'll be around the Historic FF2000 area for a lot of the time (ancient Talbot motorhome, blue EZ-Up).
The Talbot must surely be regarded as a classic, now, Alan?

Have a fun and safe weekend everyone. I'm heading to the other event, and will certainly be disappointed to miss the Vulcan!

Old 3 Aug 2015, 16:55 (Ref:3563542)   #24
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
I'll be there, thankfully not time-keeping this year so a 'free man'. Even entered via the classic car display / parade so taking my '69 MGB - always amused by the reaction from the 'old brigade' that I had the nerve to get it re-sprayed with metallic paint! Well at least it's British Racing Green metallic.
Old 3 Aug 2015, 18:09 (Ref:3563549)   #25
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chigley will be lurking - on the bank!