Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Apr 2012, 17:46 (Ref:3065034)   #26
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First of the day a couple of years ago, marshal drives his car into the Druids gravel trap at Oulton on the way to post in the morning.

Many years ago, when the assembly area at Donington was indoors (seriously. It was extremely noisy and fume filled. Not sure H & S wallahs would allow that now) a F Opel Lotus takes its rear wheel off by clipping the door. Driver sits there insisting "my mechanic fix" as I try to explain, "For you the race is over".
Old 24 Apr 2012, 17:50 (Ref:3065037)   #27
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Nice to hear of Sytner putting himself in the gravel....
Clobbered Gary Ayles IIRC along Bottom Straight.

There was the day at Donington Esses when we twice had rollers on green flag laps (the link being Mr Bloxham had just arrived both times). One of the Rover 216s and then an Astra (I think) in a prodsaloon race. Driver of the car behind the Astra didn't move so I went to find out why. He was crying with laughter and unable to see properly through the moisture: "That was going to be his first race".
Old 24 Apr 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3065047)   #28
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the Astra. Can't recall the driver's name but I think it was white with coloured stars all over it. Must have been at least ten years ago.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 18:32 (Ref:3065074)   #29
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSCC at Donington.

Cars released from pitlane for practice. Less than 5 seconds later Red Flag called.

Recovery was still driving up the circuit, ie WD, towards Redgate!

A few hearts were tested.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 20:32 (Ref:3065128)   #30
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
I remember the Astra. Can't recall the driver's name but I think it was white with coloured stars all over it. Must have been at least ten years ago.
That's the one.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 21:02 (Ref:3065148)   #31
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
chrisjt1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Not a racer, but had a marshal have an accident on the road to the circuit, basically clipped a van, van went off the road and got a flat, marshals car had a lot of front end damage.

Phones the B&B where the rescue crew and unit were overnighting and basically the unit attended along with a few other marshals that had been passing, jacked the van up, changed his tyre, pushed marshals car off down a side road, swept up the glass/debris and then back to the circuit in time for sign-on.

The look on the van drivers face, when this lot "descended" and basically cleaned up the whole scene in a highly organized manner, was priceless.
This is absolutely fantastic! Was there any flag marshals on hand to wave a yellow flag to passing motorists?!? (and presumably a green flag after the event). Maybe we should propose to the government that we take over the signals on the motorway, or maybe not...
Old 24 Apr 2012, 22:37 (Ref:3065188)   #32
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Nice to hear of Sytner putting himself in the gravel....
Sadly Clive, I think that (as usual) Mr S came out of this incident rather better off than the other car (which I think he effectively T-Boned)!
Old 24 Apr 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3065189)   #33
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
That sounds like Graham Millwards road saloon car...
Old 25 Apr 2012, 07:59 (Ref:3065263)   #34
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
ls that the car that also barrell rolled several time exiting the Old Hairpin at Donington several years ago? The more it rolled, the higher & faster it went! Luckily he was unhurt, but it was a heart stopping moment!
Old 25 Apr 2012, 08:07 (Ref:3065266)   #35
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driving my road car at Silverstone closing the circuit after the lunch break I came into Becketts and found oil, after a couple of 360's I returned to Race Control with my face as red as my car
Old 25 Apr 2012, 10:07 (Ref:3065284)   #36
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
I've seen a few race cars actually drive to the circuit (a Lotus Elise passed me on the road to Silverstone a couple of weekends ago, I later saw it race). I wonder if any of these have crashed en-route? Having an off before even reaching the circuit would be impressive/downright stupid!
I remember a Lancia Fulvia at the Birkett Relay a couple of years ago that had been driven to the circuit and had been rear ended by a van on the M1 if iirc it still raced
Old 25 Apr 2012, 10:11 (Ref:3065286)   #37
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjt1985 View Post
This is absolutely fantastic! Was there any flag marshals on hand to wave a yellow flag to passing motorists?!? (and presumably a green flag after the event).
Not far off it..... EvilPumpkin was directing traffic around the incident.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 10:56 (Ref:3065306)   #38
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A few years ago. Forget the event, might have been the BTCC (Oulton Park) or the Gold Cup.

Lady in Porsche Carrera spins at Druids on the formation lap. Spins again in exactly the same place on the next green flag lap. Spins again in exactly the same place on the first racing lap.

Funny that that was, the funniest part was the 16 point turn she had to do each time to get going again (due to the very narrow steering lock).

Rumours that a display hoarding announcing World of Leather Autumn Sale was visible from Druids-in are, sadly, unfounded.

Last edited by numbersix; 25 Apr 2012 at 11:00. Reason: Punctuation
Old 25 Apr 2012, 11:13 (Ref:3065316)   #39
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
A few years ago. Forget the event, might have been the BTCC (Oulton Park) or the Gold Cup.
Your advancing years appear to be affecting your memory!

It was the Gold Cup, your first day as Post Chief.

Quote:
Lady in Porsche Carrera spins at Druids on the formation lap. Spins again in exactly the same place on the next green flag lap. Spins again in exactly the same place on the first racing lap.
She gave us a very friendly wave in response to our applause on the cooling-down lap.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 11:20 (Ref:3065319)   #40
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many figures Dave?
Old 25 Apr 2012, 11:59 (Ref:3065340)   #41
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Your advancing years appear to be affecting your memory!

Who are you? Have we met before?
Old 25 Apr 2012, 12:49 (Ref:3065369)   #42
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Can't remember. A google of the 216 series that was racing on the same bill suggests 1991, middle of the Esses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyceswan View Post
ls that the car that also barrell rolled several time exiting the Old Hairpin at Donington several years ago? The more it rolled, the higher & faster it went! Luckily he was unhurt, but it was a heart stopping moment!
I remember a Sierra Cosworth doing that. Went off on the inside and hit the gravel sideways. Driver's response when I got to it parked on top of the wall at the exit of the Old Hairpin was "Where am I?". I started the usual checks for a bang to the head and he said "I'm not hurt, I know I was at Donington when it started, I just wondered if I was still there by the time it finished!".

However that doesn't count towards the thread since it was at least a couple of laps in.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 12:56 (Ref:3065376)   #43
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Not a racer, but had a marshal have an accident on the road to the circuit, basically clipped a van, van went off the road and got a flat, marshals car had a lot of front end damage.

Phones the B&B where the rescue crew and unit were overnighting and basically the unit attended along with a few other marshals that had been passing, jacked the van up, changed his tyre, pushed marshals car off down a side road, swept up the glass/debris and then back to the circuit in time for sign-on.

The look on the van drivers face, when this lot "descended" and basically cleaned up the whole scene in a highly organized manner, was priceless.
You see, I have often thought that there should be groups of marshals lurking underneath motorway bridges for just this reason. Incident, deal with it, clear it up under localised traffic caution and re-open the road quickly. Far better than the several hours whilst measurements are taken to determine who was at fault, and the obligatory H&S two-lane closure, despite the incident being on the hard shoulder.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 20:53 (Ref:3065571)   #44
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
chrisjt1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
You see, I have often thought that there should be groups of marshals lurking underneath motorway bridges for just this reason. Incident, deal with it, clear it up under localised traffic caution and re-open the road quickly. Far better than the several hours whilst measurements are taken to determine who was at fault, and the obligatory H&S two-lane closure, despite the incident being on the hard shoulder.
I 100% agree. In my other job (claims handler) I read many police reports and they are as useful as a wet paper towel! The best information we ever get is who the other person was and who they are insured by! The rest really is just speculation based on what both drivers said at the scene (which we have anyway). Clear the road and get going again!!!

Other point would be to put a PC at each bridge who will write a proper account to go to each insurance company!

Last edited by chrisjt1985; 25 Apr 2012 at 20:54. Reason: New thought!
Old 25 Apr 2012, 21:37 (Ref:3065583)   #45
Paul999
Rookie

England
Bucks
Paul999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if its bad form to mention yourself - but I fell off on the first corner of my first flying lap of my fist ever race... Lesson well learnt about not letting someone else torque wheel nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4acwTj4shA
Old 25 Apr 2012, 22:19 (Ref:3065605)   #46
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul999 View Post
Not sure if its bad form to mention yourself - but I fell off on the first corner of my first flying lap of my fist ever race... Lesson well learnt about not letting someone else torque wheel nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4acwTj4shA
dopnt worry matey, not a race but the marshals trackday at oulton a few years ago i had the dubious honour of being called to race control first. very first two laps out span each lap at druids.
i was complaining saying there was oil, the old excuse, but i had gone in the 2nd lap nearly 20mph slower and still snapped. the clerk was stating i was the only car off so it must have been a lack of talent, as we were discussing this calls comin in and another four or 5 cars. my answer was well at least i kept my car off mr palmers grass!! not a happy looking clerk, good job he was a mate.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 22:21 (Ref:3065607)   #47
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can i just add a thanks to everyone for posting on this topic. this was another famous slightly drunk monkey idea, had a few and posted them on here but not back fired yet. i wake up in the morning and think, oh god why did i post that, but then every one joins in. remember one about the pork pie theory the other year, was dreading lookin on here for all the bad comments only to find it had turned into a 10 page discussion. so again to all, thankyou.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 23:01 (Ref:3065627)   #48
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
You see, I have often thought that there should be groups of marshals lurking underneath motorway bridges for just this reason.
An excellent idea. A good way of keeping the unemployed off the streets.

No, that doesn't work, does it?!
Old 25 Apr 2012, 23:12 (Ref:3065630)   #49
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
How many figures Dave?
Fingers?
Old 26 Apr 2012, 06:55 (Ref:3065671)   #50
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Fingers?
Indeedy, dyslexia rules k.o.