Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Mar 2006, 13:15 (Ref:1547964)   #1
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Memories of the Birmingham Superprix

Hello, I have just registered in this forum because I am an avid fan of the Birmingham Superprix so I am hoping to find more information from you. In the past few years, I have been collecting and researching information relating anything about the Birmingham Superprix.

I have used the search function and PMed some members here but one person suggested to me that I should set up a thread to get more response from you guys about what you know about or your experiences of attending the Birmingham Superprix.

A little snippet of information here:

Quote:
In 1985, the Birmingham City Council passed the Birmingham Road Race Bill, which allowed the Birmingham Superprix for Formula 3000 cars to be held on a circuit of closed streets near the city centre for two days during the August Bank Holiday. Previously, all motor racing on the public streets of mainland Britain had been outlawed (unless specifically allowed for in private legislation).

The first Superprix was held in 1986 and was subjected to torrential rain. After extensive delays, this first race was run to a reduced distance. Over the next few years, races featured numerous accidents and the excessive noise over the course of the weekend proved to be unpopular with some members of the local community. The races were also commercially unsuccessful, so for 1991 plans were proposed for the race to be organised privately on an extended 3-mile circuit. However, these plans were never implemented and the race was dropped from the calendar. At present, the Birmingham circuit remains the only street course to have been established on the British mainland.
I took some photos of the old street track and put them up in this website.

I got a lot of photos and even video footage from 1985-1990. So if anyone need their memory jogged up, let me know so I can post a relevant photo! So hopefully you can share your experiences in this thread.

Thanks
Old 14 Mar 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1549079)   #2
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there in '86. Unfortunately I was 6 and all I can remember was the rain absolutely persisting it down. I think we barely hung around until my Dad sold the tickets and we scarpered!

So I can't help that much other than to say that I can remember how wet I was 20 years later!

Oh, and of course, welcome to the forum!
Old 14 Mar 2006, 14:48 (Ref:1549080)   #3
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Hi bigears,
I wasn't there, but I have just bought the book "Motor Racing Circuits in England, then & now", by Peter Swinger, which contains a couple of pages about the Birmingham Super Prix. I'm not sure if copyright rules will allow me to publish the article on this forum but, if you want, I'm sure we can find some other way of getting it to you.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 15:23 (Ref:1548062)   #4
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there in 1986 as I was so proud that Brum had managed to pull it off. So I got a place in the main grandstand, settled back and ... got drenched.

Every now and then something grey flew past in the spray. I guess it was a racing car but I couldn't be sure.

What a miserable experience after all that effort.

I kept going year after year and it was, of course, excellent after that. My old college, Matthew Boulton, had a great view.

Allen
Old 14 Mar 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1549081)   #5
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I was the Observer in 1990 on the elevated marshal's post in the middle of the dual carriageway pretty much in the centre of the first of the Peter Barwell Hill photos. I remember being supplied, through the wire fence, with tea (and nothing else!) by some 'interesting' young ladies from the flats on the left of picture. We gathered they were in the 'personal services' industry and were pretty hacked off that the race was not bringing in the expected increase in business!
I believe, without looking it up, that the race was won by Eric Van de Poel but Im sure somebody will jump in and tell me I'm wrong.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1549082)   #6
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i raced in the modsaloon race in the 1987 event, the circuit was still being finished when we got there,there was i believe a problem with a gas main. We practised in the morning, we not did race until very late in the afternoon/early evening, the support race paddock was in the veg. market and the only place we could see race cars was from a multi-story car park. i do remember that because the circuit was anti - clockwise that it felt difficult to learn lines etc. i nearly rolled my car when i was caught out by very steep camber on a roundabout.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 17:18 (Ref:1549083)   #7
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man
Hi bigears,
I wasn't there, but I have just bought the book "Motor Racing Circuits in England, then & now", by Peter Swinger, which contains a couple of pages about the Birmingham Super Prix. I'm not sure if copyright rules will allow me to publish the article on this forum but, if you want, I'm sure we can find some other way of getting it to you.
Unfortunately Peter Swinger died about 3 1/2 years ago (incidentally one of the nicest people in racing I ever met). I could put you in touch with his widow if it was a case of getting permission to quote anything from the book.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1549084)   #8
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
I was the Observer in 1990 on the elevated marshal's post in the middle of the dual carriageway pretty much in the centre of the first of the Peter Barwell Hill photos. I remember being supplied, through the wire fence, with tea (and nothing else!) by some 'interesting' young ladies from the flats on the left of picture. We gathered they were in the 'personal services' industry and were pretty hacked off that the race was not bringing in the expected increase in business!
I believe, without looking it up, that the race was won by Eric Van de Poel but Im sure somebody will jump in and tell me I'm wrong.
Hi Johngee,
thanks for the info' about Peter Swinger, never met the man, but the book is great.
You're absolutely right , Eric van de Poele did win in a Cosworth Reynard 90D and second was Andrea Chiesa in a Mugen powered Lola T90/50.
You're right again, I did look it up!
Old 14 Mar 2006, 17:55 (Ref:1548193)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Bigears, the whole weekend was absolute heaven for me!

I went with the old man and or mates every year because we lived half an hour away. Plus, F3000 was my main interest in the sport. The noise reverberated back off the tall buildings, it was amazing. I used to wander around the closed streets insude the circuit looking for a new vantage point. You could nip down side roads and find a forecourt of a business premises behind the catchfencing but with plenty of room to view the cars.

It was also weird seeing future stars standing around the service area od Bristol Street Motors, quite surreal!!

1986, the inaugual year was indeed terribly wet and we all felt sorry for the orgainsers because of having finally got it all arranged and up and running, the weather threatened to kill it off!

1987 was a good event, a 'demonstration drive' by Stefano Modena who looked every bit a future WDC at that point, shame he didn't cut the mustard in F1. Race also memorable for Roberto Moreno's drive to 2nd from the back and also a good battle between Andy Wallace and one or two others.

In 1988 loads of silly stoppages caused by idiot drivers theatened things a bit leading to cancellation of BTCC race which was a shame as it was a big crowd puller at the event.
Moreno did the business though romping away with Martini and Donnelly also impressing.

1989 main race was a great scrap (as mentioned in Marco Apicella thread) between him and Jean Alesi.

I had a photo blown up to poster size on my wall for years of Eric Bernard's Lola coming out of the Bristol Street pit lane - even with a relatively modest 135ml lens you could zoom in on the drivers crash hat. Trouble was that you'd go deaf momentarily as the guys would invariably blip the throttle to put some rubber down as they exited the pit lane!! The late Stephane Proulx was one particular ear offender!!!

1990m the final year was for me the best race for action. Eric Van De Poele won but Apicella was long gone until he broke down. Drive of the race was from Fabrizio Barbazza in the Crypton Leyton House. He qualified about 3 rows from the back in a really awkward car but flew through the field on a mission until he came upon one Eddie Irvine who decided to edge over on him under braking a the end of the return leg of Belgrave Middleway causing Barbazza to vault him and very nearly ended up down in the underpass! Ruined the race really as god knows where he'd have finished, easily second i'd imagine as Frentzen binned it bit later pushing too hard.

I was devastated when the event stopped, as it was touch and go for a while if it would continue into 1991.

Councillors said it was a huge money loss but I remember a massive crowd for that final year so it must have been a pretty good tourist attraction.

Hope that gives you a taster of what it was like for a local F3000 mad teenager!

Last edited by chunterer; 2 Nov 2007 at 09:30.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1549085)   #10
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[mod]Sorry, can't allow links to another forum, even though it's clearly an innocent direction[/mod]
Old 14 Mar 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1548878)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Bigears your website pictures don't load, have you set it up correctly.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 20:41 (Ref:1548917)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I painted a picture of it for Mark Blundell after the '89 race. Shows him in his Middlebridge 'Cadbury' Reynard leading Irvine and Apicella.
http://www.andrewkitson.com/pages/f3000birm.htm
Old 14 Mar 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1549086)   #13
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You may be interested in this Link to some pictures taken the week before the First event.

http://www.marshalspost.com/gallery/80.html

I marshalled all 5 and thoroughly enjoyed every one.

R's Jim
Old 14 Mar 2006, 21:40 (Ref:1548958)   #14
Tim 27
Racer

England
March,Cambs
Tim 27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like Chunterer, F3000 (along with FF1600) was always my favourite Formula.
Unfortunately I only made it to Birmingham for the 1990 race.
In no particular order, here are some of my memories from that weekend:
Walking the course on Saturday and being blown away by the noise and how close you could get to the cars at full speed.(Especially next to the mosque)!
Sleeping in my car in a concrete car park!
Russ Swift practising his act in the same car park!
The brilliant atmosphere in Pizza Hut on the Saturday night!

Your pictures certainly brought back some memories Big Ears.
In one of them I can see the grass bank I sat on all of Sunday at the hairpin.
Stephane Proulx ( who sadly many years later died of an AIDS related illness), went straight on during the race, and with an enormous thump managed to shift about six layers of tyres back by about six feet!
From my vantage point I could see a huge TV screen, so keeping track of the races was easy. Mind you, my vantage point was nowhere near as good as many of the locals hanging off their balconies in their high rise flats! From there I also witnessed Van Der Poele's victory donuts.( He would have been banned and fined today)!

Although not a Touring Car fan, I remember the BTCC and TVR Tuscan races were quite entralling.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember watching the Belgian GP highlights in a hotel foyer after the meeting? Phillipe Streiff and Jonathan Palmer having a big shunt in their Tyrrells on the first lap?

All in all, a fantastic weekend, only spoilt by the fact I had missed the previous four!
Old 14 Mar 2006, 21:45 (Ref:1548963)   #15
Tim 27
Racer

England
March,Cambs
Tim 27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two other Brum incidents have just sprung to mind: David Hunt's engine going clean through an office brick wall, and Russell Spence refusing to exit his car as it was being craned to safety!
Old 14 Mar 2006, 22:14 (Ref:1549087)   #16
flags
Racer

Wales
aberdare.south wales
flags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was at the test day in 1986 spectating...i marshalled the last 2 years..1989/90.i luv'd it !!! i always refer to the birmingham superprix as 'MONACO OF THE MIDLANDS'.i only wish they could do it all over again..my name would be first on the volunteering list !!!!byron matthews
Old 14 Mar 2006, 22:29 (Ref:1549088)   #17
Whitestar
Rookie

England
England
Whitestar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also did the last 2 years first year on the straight by the Mosque and the second at the last corner onto Bristol Street. In 89 all I can remember the bass beat coming from the local pub over the race engines. In 90 two fires on car 5 TVR when he hit the armco in practice and the race. Also the flag marshals with singed legs from the RS500 touring cars as they came onto Bristol Street. Great fun had by all.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 22:32 (Ref:1549089)   #18
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Bigears.

I was present at ALL the Birmingham Super Prix - and I have the badges to prove it!

Brian Jones was the main commentator in a wooden shed on top of the porta-cabins at Bristol Street Motors where the "pits" (haha) were located. I was his lap-charter and 'gopher'.

The first year it rained a bit (!!!!) and you had to see the sparks that came off the monitors - no windows in the shed you see. I still have the mildewed lapchart for the only race to take place.
The next year it was warm (!!) and we roasted - because now we had windows.

But mainly I remember the evenings in the Hotel after the Races - well actually I don't!!

But don't care.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 00:21 (Ref:1549065)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Councillors said it was a huge money loss but i remember a massive crowd for that final year so it must have been a pretty good tourist attraction.
This may be apocryphal, but I believe it lost money because an offer to underwrite the race by Marlboro was turned down, and minor sponsorship from an anti-smoking group taken instead. Fair enough as a political decision, but you can't blame the race for losing money as a result.

I went to every one, and what a fantastic event it was. It was before I started marshalling circuits, so I was a spectator and managed to see the whole circuit over the years. I used to watch parctice and qualifying from the grandstand on the right hander after the Middleway as it was free, and that gave you a good view all the way up the straight and back, most of the way to the left hand kink before Ferodo, and across into the chicane round the roundabout. Race day was varied. I watched two from the hairpin, one from the first corner and two from Ferodo, including the shunt and boxing match between Sytner and Cleland after Frank 'assisted' John's entry speed into the hairpin. I also remember Derek Higgins guest drive in the CRX ending in a shower of tyres all over the circuit after the car got away from him in the fast left.

Donnely went well in a car that was half white and half yellow after it was apparently totalled when he abandoned it on the exit of the first corner. That race was won by Alesi, I think.

vna der Poele was masterful the year he won, simply keeping Apicella in sight. The car was clearly smoking from early on, and obviously getting worse, and I'm sure he just sat back and waited for it to go pop before striding away into the distance.

Some of the support races were pretty good too. CRXs were good value. Mike Jordan's Porsche Turbo was terrifying and fantastic in equal measure, and all those Sierra Cosworths...
Old 15 Mar 2006, 00:33 (Ref:1549090)   #20
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
I am overwhelmed with information there! I am so jealous that you all went there (I was only 3 years ago when Hurricane Charley hit the BSP track )

I decided to post some photos to get your tastebuds going!

(Except I've deleted every one because they all breach copyright laws - Just giving credit to Autosport, Encyclopedias, and a 'certain Belgian friend', isn't sufficient, I'm afraid, you need written permission, and I'm betting you don't have that! - JT)

Hopefully this will help more members to post in here!

Keep posting those excellent stories (or maybe some photos? ) chaps!

Last edited by John Turner; 15 Mar 2006 at 07:36. Reason: Please don't just post images that you don't own - see FAQs
Old 15 Mar 2006, 00:46 (Ref:1549091)   #21
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The big bump was going into the Halfords Hairpin where there was a major step over the camber in the road surface just at the braking point. Many of the F3000s were briefly airborne over it, and Jean-Denis Delatraz's rear suspension failed on landing on the first lap (1989?). They added a tyre barrier to the inside to force the cars away from the worst part, but this sadly ruined the overtaking opportunity. It also got demolished several times as TVRs and Fiestas seemed to be attracted to it.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 00:49 (Ref:1549077)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Waaay! I got the colours right! Not bad for 15 years ago.

Actually, I'm going to merge this thread and the marshals one, but I'll leave a redirect over there. Better to have all the tales in one place.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 01:12 (Ref:1549099)   #23
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
No problem, thank you for sorting this out.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 07:53 (Ref:1549241)   #24
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have two friends who race dat the first one I think. One of them (who shares my car in the long distance races) was in the tin top race although it didnt happen due to the rain. By coincidence on his way to racing Gp C he spent a season in F3000. Another co incidence is that we were chatting about that race at lunch on Sunday!
The other mate ran in the Thundersports race and I think took a class win. Both said it was a great event.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 07:53 (Ref:1549243)   #25
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Like Jim i also marshalled all five but the best one for me has to be the first one.

I was in a fire tender ( Transit pick-up with big fire bottles strapped to the back)
in the pit-lane and spent all sunday and monday laughing and joking with James Hunt.

I could tell you some stories about him but the mods wouldn't print them.