Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Feb 2018, 17:54 (Ref:3803654)   #2726
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
Not a fan of the new aero on the Hard vw cc looks a mess surely aero should be all about smooth lines and not jagged lines like on them side skirts?
Sometimes jagged edges are exactly what's required. Aerodynamics isn't all about smooth flows, sometimes you need chaotic disrupted air to make the air separate from some component and reduce drag (or rejoin another flow). Fluid dynamics is a bizarre science sometimes.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 18:17 (Ref:3803655)   #2727
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Sometimes jagged edges are exactly what's required. Aerodynamics isn't all about smooth flows, sometimes you need chaotic disrupted air to make the air separate from some component and reduce drag (or rejoin another flow). Fluid dynamics is a bizarre science sometimes.
A good read on the subject can be found here.

One point made in the article - 'I would say the most misunderstood thing about aero for the general public is that people think there is one perfect shape and we [aerodynamicists] know what it is, so they are always asking you to tell them. The truth is, there is no good solution that isn’t a custom one and even defining what is better is circumstantial.'

An example of 'good' aero (for a certain situation)..
Old 24 Feb 2018, 22:32 (Ref:3803701)   #2728
HopAlong
Racer

HopAlong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How likely could it have been that when they thought Jackson was going to TD, they signed another driver. The deal fell though and MJ had had no seat to go back to. If it is the scenario we all think it is its a shame. We all know if Button, Alonso or any big star driver had come along with good backing, however unrealistic that may be, Jackson would have been moved aside.

As unlikely as it would be, I'd like to see Cominni in one of those Team Shredded Wheat with Gallagher but not with Duo Ford Focus RSeseses.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 10:25 (Ref:3803767)   #2729
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Will we get an overseas driver in the BTCC? Unlike the super touring, they are as rare as hen's teeth these days, but who knows?
Old 25 Feb 2018, 10:36 (Ref:3803770)   #2730
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Will we get an overseas driver in the BTCC? Unlike the super touring, they are as rare as hen's teeth these days, but who knows?

The overseas drivers were linked to manufacturer works teams, who paid their drivers. There are no true manufacturer works teams in the BTCC, only teams supported by UK importers, so I doubt you’ll see many overseas drivers in the future. The days of Schnitzer, Alfa Corse, Bigazzi entering the championship are long gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 Feb 2018, 10:51 (Ref:3803771)   #2731
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dan Cammish off to test in Spain but with what version of the Civic?
Old 25 Feb 2018, 11:21 (Ref:3803774)   #2732
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Strange how the lower formulae are full of overseas drivers (single seaters certainly).
Old 25 Feb 2018, 12:07 (Ref:3803783)   #2733
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
The overseas drivers were linked to manufacturer works teams, who paid their drivers.
There was at least 4 independent drivers in the BTCC Super Touring years from overseas.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 12:35 (Ref:3803788)   #2734
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
There was at least 4 independent drivers in the BTCC Super Touring years from overseas.
There were a few Swede's and Norwegians I remember from the era being privateers, Pegun Andersson, Netten Lindgren, Tommy Rustad.
But I think he means the real mega stars of the series such as Winklehock, Tarquini, Biela etc who were winning titles from the off who were there because of manufacturer input.

In recent years we have done ok tho, Menu and Giovanardi made comebacks, Robb Holland has had a few goes at the series and Strandberg stood in for a race.
I can sort of see the appeal of having international drivers but when there are so many strong British contenders each year im just happy to see a close and competitive grid
Old 25 Feb 2018, 13:24 (Ref:3803796)   #2735
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Strange how the lower formulae are full of overseas drivers (single seaters certainly).
Best way for them to get experience.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 13:52 (Ref:3803806)   #2736
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DW4qzJBX...jpg&name=large

Shredded Wheat sponsorship now on Tordoff's car
Old 25 Feb 2018, 13:59 (Ref:3803808)   #2737
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Dan Cammish off to test in Spain but with what version of the Civic?
Last years car (only one of two went to Norlin) I understand is missing from the workshop again... bear in mind my source previously said both cars had gone off to new owners. I suspect one or both where off on a jig somewhere being checked over/ worked on when he observed them as gone.

Seperate source is still telling me the new motors aren't finished - and could well turn into a Subaru! (not literally - I mean not turning a wheel 'til the last minute).
Old 25 Feb 2018, 14:10 (Ref:3803812)   #2738
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when it came to team names the late Tim Bevan in the seat cupra cup had it nailed... WAAP racing, (wing and a prayer)
Old 25 Feb 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3803814)   #2739
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DW4qzJBX...jpg&name=large

Shredded Wheat sponsorship now on Tordoff's car
And no name/number yet on the third car...
Old 25 Feb 2018, 14:51 (Ref:3803816)   #2740
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
There were a few Swede's and Norwegians I remember from the era being privateers, Pegun Andersson, Netten Lindgren, Tommy Rustad.

But I think he means the real mega stars of the series such as Winklehock, Tarquini, Biela etc who were winning titles from the off who were there because of manufacturer input.

In recent years we have done ok tho, Menu and Giovanardi made comebacks, Robb Holland has had a few goes at the series and Strandberg stood in for a race.

I can sort of see the appeal of having international drivers but when there are so many strong British contenders each year im just happy to see a close and competitive grid

And there was also Moen, Brustadt(is that how you spell it) and the Aussie Charlie Cox, plus a few more who competed in the non championship races
Old 25 Feb 2018, 15:29 (Ref:3803821)   #2741
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And there was also Moen, Brustadt(is that how you spell it) and the Aussie Charlie Cox, plus a few more who competed in the non championship races
wow few names there i had forgotten! Charlie Cox I remember destroying his Mondeo possibly at Thruxton and next time i heard the name i think he was commentating on Moto Gp!

Yes a few in the TOCA shoot out, seem to remember Klaus Zwart, who is still a fairly accomplished racer now in one as a private entry

Going to have to dig out some old season reviews from the 90s now
Old 25 Feb 2018, 15:30 (Ref:3803823)   #2742
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
And no name/number yet on the third car...
This will open up the "is there a 3rd car" again now
thats a good spot tho on the Tordoff car

Last edited by btccbloke; 25 Feb 2018 at 15:49.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 16:24 (Ref:3803826)   #2743
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
wow few names there i had forgotten! Charlie Cox I remember destroying his Mondeo possibly at Thruxton and next time i heard the name i think he was commentating on Moto Gp!
Yes it was Thruxton in 95. Cox returned later in the season with a 5dr Mondeo. His hope was tha Schubel would get their 4wd works cars competitive in Germany and allow him to take advantage of that homologation. Unfortunately for both parties, it never happened.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 17:10 (Ref:3803830)   #2744
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Last years car (only one of two went to Norlin) I understand is missing from the workshop again... bear in mind my source previously said both cars had gone off to new owners. I suspect one or both where off on a jig somewhere being checked over/ worked on when he observed them as gone.

Seperate source is still telling me the new motors aren't finished - and could well turn into a Subaru! (not literally - I mean not turning a wheel 'til the last minute).
So where did the other Norlin car come from?

There’s only ever been 7, one was scrapped leaving 6 (Eurotech, after Croft last year)

Matt Simpson took his from Dynamics to Eurotech
Eurotech had 2 already
If Norlin only had one from Dynamics, that accounts for 4, leaving two floating around somewhere.

But... Norlin have two, there’s nowhere else they would have come from other than Dynamics.

That still leaves one car missing, presumably either Norlin or Eurotech bought t as a spare or Dynamics have kept it for if/when someone else needs it.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3803831)   #2745
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post

There’s only ever been 7, one was scrapped leaving 6 (Eurotech, after Croft last year)

Eurotech had 2 already
If Norlin only had one from Dynamics, that accounts for 4, leaving two floating around somewhere.

But... Norlin have two, there’s nowhere else they would have come from other than Dynamics.

That still leaves one car missing, presumably either Norlin or Eurotech bought t as a spare or Dynamics have kept it for if/when someone else needs it.
Dont Dynamics still have the Andy Neate car from his 1 race in 2016
Old 25 Feb 2018, 17:30 (Ref:3803832)   #2746
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post

Eurotech had 2 already

BTC Norlin have chassis #2 and #7
Old 25 Feb 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3803836)   #2747
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Well from the video eurotech put on Twitter you catch the Halfords car at the end and they've taken last year's car by the looks of it which seems a bit odd spending all that money to go out there and test if they've built or are building a new one

It can't just be to let cammish get a go in a fwd car as it would have made more sense to stay in the UK
Old 25 Feb 2018, 18:08 (Ref:3803838)   #2748
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
It can't just be to let cammish get a go in a fwd car as it would have made more sense to stay in the UK
Not with the cold and snow we are supposed to be getting for t he next few weeks or so.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 18:16 (Ref:3803841)   #2749
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Probably works out massively cheaper to test where they are rather than the UK not to mention the more predictable weather.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 18:31 (Ref:3803844)   #2750
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, was there an official announcement from Dynamics that they are entering a new Civic?