Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 4 Feb 2017, 17:16 (Ref:3709429)   #426
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
In 3 weeks time !!! I applied for my licence when I went to Spain at the beginning of December to make sure that I actually got it, it was waiting when I came back and I noticed it had the omission, not that it particularly bothers me as I don't really need to go out collecting scrap anymore
Do you still keep your towing categories, B E or are you down to a B only?
Old 4 Feb 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3709434)   #427
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned it's a "no contest" I have been most ways over the years and now with all the new roads I would head down the Mediterranean highway and cut across from Valencia just like you say.
If I happen to be about at the time I might meet up and mechanic for you !
Thanks, that was my preferred route! The AP7 is all toll'd, from what I can see?

Bit of a challenge but 2 cars at Ricard, then I'm racing at AIA w/end after. It's do-able, as long as costs are OK for all.....
Old 4 Feb 2017, 17:30 (Ref:3709436)   #428
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Do you still keep your towing categories, B E or are you down to a B only?
Yes B E until I renew it in three years, by that time I'll probably be in some old fogies home with Eric !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Feb 2017, 17:44 (Ref:3709443)   #429
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The thing is with age and driving is who decides on what and when people should and shouldn't do. As most of us know certain people of "any age" shouldn't get behind the wheel of "anything" on the road.
I know that we all think we are perfect drivers while others are dangerous and a liability, maybe we can discuss it and I'm sure there will be some controversy !!!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Feb 2017, 17:49 (Ref:3709446)   #430
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Thanks, that was my preferred route! The AP7 is all toll'd, from what I can see?

Bit of a challenge but 2 cars at Ricard, then I'm racing at AIA w/end after. It's do-able, as long as costs are OK for all.....
Yes it is tolled and although there isn't much in the mileage it's quicker, depends what you want ?
Old 4 Feb 2017, 17:56 (Ref:3709449)   #431
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes B E until I renew it in three years, by that time I'll probably be in some old fogies home with Eric !!!!
Oh you poor sod!
Old 4 Feb 2017, 18:00 (Ref:3709452)   #432
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Yes it is tolled and although there isn't much in the mileage it's quicker, depends what you want ?
Tolls not a problem, but Spain doesn't have an online calculator like France!

Watching a Lancaster engine change on pbs. Just like old cars- engines are not the same so lots of parts have to be swapped as well! (It's the Canadian Lanc so has Packard Merlin....)
Old 4 Feb 2017, 18:16 (Ref:3709460)   #433
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The thing is with age and driving is who decides on what and when people should and shouldn't do. As most of us know certain people of "any age" shouldn't get behind the wheel of "anything" on the road.
I know that we all think we are perfect drivers while others are dangerous and a liability, maybe we can discuss it and I'm sure there will be some controversy !!!!!
Maybe everyone should have a medical after a certain age, or at least eye sight tests.
The mother in law was still driving even after she'd had a few blackouts but kept quiet about them and it only came to light after she'd manage to demolish a post and end up in hospital. Even then she refused to stop driving until one of her sons notified the DVLA and they eventually revoked her licence. Apparently doctors can't dob you in to the DVLA
Old 4 Feb 2017, 18:43 (Ref:3709473)   #434
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Apparently doctors can't dob you in to the DVLA
Actually, medical professions have a legal requirement to notify the DVLA if they believe that a patient shouldn't be driving, and are supposed to advise the patient of that requirement.

I know it was 14 years ago, but I was present when my father's doctor told him that if he didn't stop driving voluntarily, then she would have had no option but to request the DVLA to revoke his licence. He also had blackouts, and his depth perception (depth of vision) was absolutely cr*p!
Old 4 Feb 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3709478)   #435
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Maybe everyone should have a medical after a certain age, or at least eye sight tests.
The mother in law was still driving even after she'd had a few blackouts but kept quiet about them and it only came to light after she'd manage to demolish a post and end up in hospital. Even then she refused to stop driving until one of her sons notified the DVLA and they eventually revoked her licence. Apparently doctors can't dob you in to the DVLA
Very difficult and very hard. My Dad was physically capable of driving but dementia meant he sometimes couldn't remember where he was going. That almost became a standing joke, but then he had a very slight fender bender, came home and by then had forgotten all about it. Luckily the 3rd party was very understanding..... We had to eventually get his doctor to write a letter for us to give to the DVLA. Not a nice thing to have to do.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 19:05 (Ref:3709494)   #436
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Actually, medical professions have a legal requirement to notify the DVLA if they believe that a patient shouldn't be driving, and are supposed to advise the patient of that requirement.
MiLs doctor didn't want to know and said he wasn't allowed to contact the DVLA (patient confidentiality and all that), sounds like he might have been a bit lazy
Old 4 Feb 2017, 19:11 (Ref:3709512)   #437
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Not a nice thing to have to do.
Had the same horrible thing to do with mother. I forced her to see things like they were but on the nice way of course because of her strong character and because she was a really safe and fast driver. We went to the parking lot and I was standing saying nothing just waiting for her to explain how and why the 2 front wings and three of the 4 doors of her car were damaged. Took long and hard to stand minutes. Hated doing this.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 19:12 (Ref:3709514)   #438
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
MiLs doctor didn't want to know and said he wasn't allowed to contact the DVLA (patient confidentiality and all that), sounds like he might have been a bit lazy
Yep! Had a quick look on the DVLA website, and it states quite clearly that medicos have to inform them if they believe a patient's licence should be revoked. I believe that they can actually advise the DVLA if it should be permanent or a temporary stoppage.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 19:17 (Ref:3709521)   #439
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Gordon, did you have have a look to your spanish licence? In principle if it was issued before year '79 you are allowed to drive a camping car whatever it weights. So, a heavy truck later converted and homologated as camping car is concerned. Well, thats what we have here along with a new "permis remorque" B 96 easier to obtain than BE or EB down here.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 21:00 (Ref:3709656)   #440
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Gordon, did you have have a look to your spanish licence? In principle if it was issued before year '79 you are allowed to drive a camping car whatever it weights. So, a heavy truck later converted and homologated as camping car is concerned. Well, thats what we have here along with a new "permis remorque" B 96 easier to obtain than BE or EB down here.
Gerard I don't have a Spanish licence only my British one that I have had since 1964 and it does still have B E.
Old 5 Feb 2017, 02:48 (Ref:3709882)   #441
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Interesting isn't it that as far as I know 'driving licence ages' haven't changed much. Whereas successive Governments tell us that pensionable age needs to keep increasing as people are living longer and those in their 60s & 70s etc are medically 'younger' than in years gone by. The argument seems to work one way but not the other?

I should add of course that none of this yet applies to me as I'm a lot younger than most people on here.
There does indeed seem to be a lot of what is generally known as "disconnect" in Government thinking.

I suppose the phrase "Government thinking" is a disconnect in itself. In fact more like an oxymoron.
Old 5 Feb 2017, 07:53 (Ref:3710058)   #442
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gordon, sorry for my misunderstanding. What they call down here "code 79" is in fact automatic. Some of my blokes have it stamped on their licence but never bothered to understand the meaning. But OK, converting a truck to an homologated CC may be not worth.
Old 5 Feb 2017, 09:11 (Ref:3710074)   #443
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Interesting isn't it that as far as I know 'driving licence ages' haven't changed much. Whereas successive Governments tell us that pensionable age needs to keep increasing as people are living longer and those in their 60s & 70s etc are medically 'younger' than in years gone by. The argument seems to work one way but not the other?

I should add of course that none of this yet applies to me as I'm a lot younger than most people on here.
I don't think we are medically younger, the medics can keep us alive longer now but we still physically go downhill at the same rate now as in the past. As for working longer, I find the medical I have every five years gets tougher and tougher. I noticed on the last one I had in October there's more questions about mental health head injuries and blacking out which is no doubt due to the arse who killed the people in Glasgow.
Old 5 Feb 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3710088)   #444
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I don't think we are medically younger, the medics can keep us alive longer now but we still physically go downhill at the same rate now as in the past. As for working longer, I find the medical I have every five years gets tougher and tougher. I noticed on the last one I had in October there's more questions about mental health head injuries and blacking out which is no doubt due to the arse who killed the people in Glasgow.
It's a pity that similar impositions do not seem to be required for politicians and, perhaps, doctors in some instances.

I suppose politicians are "tested" at elections every few years but I'm not sure that really counts towards competence.

I would also suggest similar tests for Civil Servants but I have a suspicion that most of them are quit adept at vacating the work pool without vacating their career and pension at any sign of illness or stress.

Just what kind of work are older people expected to do when economics forces everyone to work longer even though some will not be considered capable of doing whatever they have been doing for their working lives yet it is likely that the majority of them (us in effect) are not realistically in a position to re-train for anything else?

One can see why autonomous vehicles seem so attractive to regulators - at least in theory. Just so long as they are not asked to consider the less predictable social consequences and restructuring required they will no doubt be delighted with the potential controls being offered to them.
Old 5 Feb 2017, 10:51 (Ref:3710089)   #445
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Groan! Where's Bauble when you need him?
Old 5 Feb 2017, 14:04 (Ref:3710126)   #446
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Groan! Where's Bauble when you need him?

I'm sure they're not doing it on purpose Bob!
Old 5 Feb 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3710129)   #447
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Another interesting avatar, Mike!
Old 5 Feb 2017, 14:50 (Ref:3710134)   #448
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Course they are, rotten lot.
Old 5 Feb 2017, 14:54 (Ref:3710137)   #449
bauble
Veteran

England
A friend of mine once pointed out that grass grew slower during Formula 3 races, so why are so many on this forum racing the cars.? Why not just paint them and watch it dry, save a lot of money and concern about length of hoses etc.

Naturally this theory did not apply in the 1950's.
Old 5 Feb 2017, 15:45 (Ref:3710155)   #450
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting viewpoint. Think about British F3 in 1978. Warwick, Serra, De Angelis and Piquet. All became great Formula one drivers and all competed against each other. I watched a lot of it and paint drying was a long way from the truth.
Closed Thread