Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 5 Feb 2017, 16:01 (Ref:3710159)   #451
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Another interesting avatar, Mike!
Yes, thanks. It's my 1951 SCCON badge, but not so easy to read when pic that small! Maybe I'll annoy booble by posting a bigger shot......
Old 5 Feb 2017, 16:27 (Ref:3710163)   #452
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Here .......
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 5 Feb 2017, 16:31 (Ref:3710164)   #453
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Here .......
Nice. Don't think I've ever seen one before. Does SCCON still exist? I remember following their rally one year, about 1973. Prince Michael of Kent was taking part. Starting point was Pointer Motor Co on Aylsham Road, from whom I bought two cars.
Old 5 Feb 2017, 16:39 (Ref:3710166)   #454
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
A friend of mine once pointed out that grass grew slower during Formula 3 races, so why are so many on this forum racing the cars.? Why not just paint them and watch it dry, save a lot of money and concern about length of hoses etc.

Naturally this theory did not apply in the 1950's.
Thought the 'so many on this forum' (Delta, Colin & Compte come to mind) race Formula Junior cars, not F3....... Or have I missed something?
Old 5 Feb 2017, 16:48 (Ref:3710168)   #455
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Nice. Don't think I've ever seen one before. Does SCCON still exist? I remember following their rally one year, about 1973. Prince Michael of Kent was taking part. Starting point was Pointer Motor Co on Aylsham Road, from whom I bought two cars.
Of course, I'm still a member. That reference to PMCo brings back memories, it was the usual start venue for a lot of rallies! Fiat dealer, and Lancia? Could have been the 'Midsummer Stages' stage rally you were following......

SCCON still do the usual 12 car night events, PCTs, auto tests etc., and co-operate with other E Anglian clubs on marshalling.

Old 5 Feb 2017, 16:57 (Ref:3710170)   #456
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Of course, I'm still a member. That reference to PMCo brings back memories, it was the usual start venue for a lot of rallies! Fiat dealer, and Lancia? Could have been the 'Midsummer Stages' stage rally you were following......

SCCON still do the usual 12 car night events, PCTs, auto tests etc., and co-operate with other E Anglian clubs on marshalling.

Yes, it was Midsummer Stages. Stages were at places like Norfolk Show ground, Snetterton (rallycross course, I think).

PMC were Fiat, Lancia & Reliant. They were owned by the Mecca Group & as such flogged-off their company cars. I can remember a very rough Audi 100 that I was loaned as a courtesy car! I bought first a Fiat 124S & then a Lancia Beta from them. Although I bought them two years apart the registration numbers were only two cars apart.

PMC was also significant for having a restaurant in the showroom.
Old 5 Feb 2017, 16:59 (Ref:3710171)   #457
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Naturally this theory did not apply in the 1950's.
But you did already have lawn mowers, Le Bauble ?
Old 5 Feb 2017, 17:01 (Ref:3710174)   #458
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Interesting viewpoint. Think about British F3 in 1978. Warwick, Serra, De Angelis and Piquet. All became great Formula one drivers and all competed against each other. I watched a lot of it and paint drying was a long way from the truth.
When you got past the RT3 into the era of the "wing-like" F3 cars it was.very boring. So much down force compared to power, the guys barely bothered to lift. Sati had a corner apex speed at Camp Corner (Castle Combe) of over 105mph.

*Sigh* I should have said "the corner before the start line, its real name will only excite Bauble to innuendo

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 5 Feb 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3710184)   #459
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is more like it, shoes of and relaxing, as it should be.

Mike FJ's are just not worth a mentio.... and Mon Ami Gerard, when Formula 3 featured 500ccc cars the racing was well worth watching and bred many top class drivers, Moss, Collins, Lewis-Evans et al. (more French or is it Latin?).

Lawn mowers were pushed not driven then.

Max! What are you suggesting? That I have a smutty sense of humour?

Peter, I watched many of the F3 races of that era, and can not recall a single thing about them ... I must have been asleep.

Please no more trips down memory lane by the expatriate John, there does not appear to be a single place in Norfolk that does not generate ever more recollections of his early, rural existence. I wonder did he ever leave the county prior to being transported to Europe?

They say the first corner at Combe, did not leave a racer much room
When the surface was damp, it would act like a ramp,
Two throttle blips would cause a shake of the hips,
And that why said it was Camp.

Ooh! You are naughty, but I like it.
Old 5 Feb 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3710199)   #460
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yes, it was Midsummer Stages. Stages were at places like Norfolk Show ground, Snetterton (rallycross course, I think).

PMC was also significant for having a restaurant in the showroom.
Norfolk was pretty rubbish for stages! Think I did the rally 5 times over two spells- in Avenger Tiger, Mexico and Clubman S when young, Sunbeam ti and 205 GTi later in life. Last result was best- seemed to go quite well in pugs......

Pointer- Don't forget the Mecca Ballroom was there as well!
Old 5 Feb 2017, 20:45 (Ref:3710239)   #461
SamBinfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ludwigsburg, DE
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apologies if this is misplaced or against the rules, but would anyone have any interest in a set of Dunlop 4.50M-13s and 5.25M-13s? The series they were bought for no longer runs them, and they've been sat taking up space in the unit for two years.
Old 6 Feb 2017, 07:02 (Ref:3710388)   #462
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Bob, mon ami, aucun problème avec ton français, il est parfait, tu peux continuer ainsi.
Pour le latin, may be you've better drop dead, cause you wont find a proper translation for carburetor or dizzy! And please note that some Briggs@Stratton engines can't stand to be over revved, I once broke a conrod!
Old 6 Feb 2017, 12:17 (Ref:3710466)   #463
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBinfield View Post
Apologies if this is misplaced or against the rules, but would anyone have any interest in a set of Dunlop 4.50M-13s and 5.25M-13s? The series they were bought for no longer runs them, and they've been sat taking up space in the unit for two years.
Think you're safe Sam. Sadly no use to me either! Presume unused?
Old 6 Feb 2017, 12:47 (Ref:3710472)   #464
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Keeping to lighter news , I seem to remember one of the new President's promises was to 'tear up' the Kyoto Agreement on climate change. According to a UK mag, he is also getting involved in future US vehicle emissions regulations. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) pushed out a finalised plan just before he took office requiring car manufacturers to achieve some very demanding fuel economy improvements and CO2 reductions by 2025. Now it is suggested by the new administration that the EPA are going to have control of CO2 reduction taken from them, perhaps with encouragement from the US manufacturers?

It is also said that California state could lose it's independence on emissions limits, which are far stricter than any other state. Most of the growth in low and zero EV production / sales can be put down to the their CARB requirements.

If it happens, sounds like a win for manufacturers, a lose for the general population....
Old 6 Feb 2017, 12:53 (Ref:3710475)   #465
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Oh Yes, and congratulations to HM Queen Elizabeth II on the 65th anniversary of her becoming Queen.
Old 6 Feb 2017, 15:11 (Ref:3710501)   #466
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Keeping to lighter news , I seem to remember one of the new President's promises was to 'tear up' the Kyoto Agreement on climate change. According to a UK mag, he is also getting involved in future US vehicle emissions regulations. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) pushed out a finalised plan just before he took office requiring car manufacturers to achieve some very demanding fuel economy improvements and CO2 reductions by 2025. Now it is suggested by the new administration that the EPA are going to have control of CO2 reduction taken from them, perhaps with encouragement from the US manufacturers?

It is also said that California state could lose it's independence on emissions limits, which are far stricter than any other state. Most of the growth in low and zero EV production / sales can be put down to the their CARB requirements.

If it happens, sounds like a win for manufacturers, a lose for the general population....
Perhaps VW could slip Mr President a few bob to get rid of the stupid woman in California who caused all their problems. Might be cheaper than dealing with the compensation culture brigade!!
Old 6 Feb 2017, 17:12 (Ref:3710516)   #467
SamBinfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ludwigsburg, DE
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Think you're safe Sam. Sadly no use to me either! Presume unused?
Virtually unused as they were only run in the wet on a HFF1600 in HSCC Classic Racing Cars.
Old 6 Feb 2017, 17:42 (Ref:3710522)   #468
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Think I did the rally 5 times over two spells- in Avenger Tiger, Mexico and Clubman S when young, Sunbeam ti and 205 GTi later in life.
Bet you didn't keep the Sunbeam Mike … Dont think about having a look to their nowadays market price ! Same thing happens with some Grp1, we have a pair of Vauxhalls Magnum down here. Better to keep them warm than any bank account could produce …
Old 6 Feb 2017, 17:57 (Ref:3710524)   #469
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Bet you didn't keep the Sunbeam Mike … Dont think about having a look to their nowadays market price ! Same thing happens with some Grp1, we have a pair of Vauxhalls Magnum down here. Better to keep them warm than any bank account could produce …
The Sunbeam was pretty rubbish! And a 'shed', if you understand the meaning in this context.....

I liked the Magnum and Firenza, but was not a Vauxhall person!

I see there is a UK preparer now building 'brand new' GpA 205s for rallying. Apparently they are now historic......
Old 6 Feb 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3710532)   #470
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Gerard, I saw an ex Blydenstein DTV Firenza racing at Croix about three years ago. Could it have been yours?
Old 7 Feb 2017, 05:27 (Ref:3710615)   #471
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John, at Croix its possible but not a Firenza. The 2 Vauxhalls in France are under their Magnum form but honestly apart the front end (droop snoot type is that correct?) its difficult to spot the differences.
One has an Arvor livery (white / orange and some blue, french sponsor sun glasses maker in the '70), the other has a Castrol paint scheme (body light grey, castor stripes). Both RHD and full grp1 appendix. The Arvor one was raced by several amateurs in the Production championship (lets say grp 1,5, kind of BTCC) such like Jean Claude Lagniez or Gabreau. Not sure about its past in England. The Castrol one is probably a re creation but was bought in England.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 09:15 (Ref:3710651)   #472
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The Sunbeam was pretty rubbish! And a 'shed', if you understand the meaning in this context.....

I liked the Magnum and Firenza, but was not a Vauxhall person!

I see there is a UK preparer now building 'brand new' GpA 205s for rallying. Apparently they are now historic......
Apart from Mike's comment I like the way this thread is going...
Old 7 Feb 2017, 09:39 (Ref:3710657)   #473
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
John, at Croix its possible but not a Firenza. The 2 Vauxhalls in France are under their Magnum form but honestly apart the front end (droop snoot type is that correct?) its difficult to spot the differences.
One has an Arvor livery (white / orange and some blue, french sponsor sun glasses maker in the '70), the other has a Castrol paint scheme (body light grey, castor stripes). Both RHD and full grp1 appendix. The Arvor one was raced by several amateurs in the Production championship (lets say grp 1,5, kind of BTCC) such like Jean Claude Lagniez or Gabreau. Not sure about its past in England. The Castrol one is probably a re creation but was bought in England.
Gerard, I have seen both those cars, & you are correct, they are Magnum's. The Castrol/DTV car aroused my interest as I remember them well from the Group 1 days in England. I tried to research it on the internet & it appears to have originally been prepared for rallying (I may be wrong) & to have passed through auction a few years ago.

Being RHD I'm also curious about the origins of the Arvor car. I think I read somewhere that it now has an engine that has done many km's in a Bedford CF van. That amused me, as in my early days at Lotus the 2-litre engine was being developed for the Elite/Éclat & one test engine was fitted to our works CF van, which spent a hard life day in, day out collecting parts from suppliers. Highly unlikely but would have been fun if that one had found its way into the Magnum!

Two other engines were fitted to HC Viva's that knocked-up a high mileage on the Lotus test track at Hethel. When their job was done, the blue car had the original Vauxhall engine re-fitted & sold, whilst the metallic green one was supposed to be personal transport for Colin Chapman, but he allegedly took one look at the salmon pink interior & said "no thanks".

It was duly re-united with its original Vauxhall 1800 engine & became a pool car where it was extremely popular & much preferred to the alternative Mk3 Cortina's.

There you go VIVA GT - one for you too!
Old 7 Feb 2017, 10:40 (Ref:3710664)   #474
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps I should change my monicker to AstraMk5.
Old 7 Feb 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3710665)   #475
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John quite right again. As to engines origins, I've been told that the Capri 3 litre had been genuinely designed as a diesel engine (hence the hollow pistons and Héron's type heads) to be used in Fire Dpt Transit's (performance wise it shows!).
We did the 1976 24 hrs of Spa with a Bertone Grp1. When rain invited itself in the Sunday morning then started a total mess on the track. Everyone, including all works teams staff, went to the pits' wall to applause as deserved a guy playing with its Vauxhall: Gerry Marshall himself ! Unbelievable. He was driving absolutely sideways in the straight each lap he achieved crossing the deep puddles. What a souvenir. Nobody could match him on the wet. He was on another planet, really. 1976 was a special edition, the last to welcome Grp 1, Grp 1 B and Grp 2 as far as I can remember. With our private and very much damaged Alfa we had to fight against Vernaeve, Guy Pirenne, René Metge sharing a Dolly. We never spoke to each others during this race but I met Guy Pirenne spannering our 911 almost 30 years later during VdeV series races! Little planet isn't it?
Closed Thread