Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 22 Nov 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1467174)   #26
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what's all the fixation with speed? A1gp is about close, exciting racing and you don't need to be doing 220mph to have that. Just look at the Legends Championship, XR Challenge and the North West Formula Fords. Hardly the quickest cars around but damnit they don't half know how to entertain you.

Currently A1gp is the best racing i've seen on TV in years, and i hope it stays that way
Old 22 Nov 2005, 09:35 (Ref:1467198)   #27
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
what's all the fixation with speed? A1gp is about close, exciting racing and you don't need to be doing 220mph to have that. Just look at the Legends Championship, XR Challenge and the North West Formula Fords. Hardly the quickest cars around but damnit they don't half know how to entertain you.

Currently A1gp is the best racing i've seen on TV in years, and i hope it stays that way
Have to agree with that. They may not be the fastest things on earth but do they need to be? Its good to see A1 GP cars being drivin' to the limits and its producing a fantastic spectacle IMO. I think the last round in Malaysia proved that, some of the battles in those races were mega and breathtaking to watch. IMO F1 is the pinnacle of Single Seater racing and should remain that way in terms of both speed and technology. It doesnt mean to say that other race series cant be as exciting to watch. A1 GP seems to be looked down upon at the moment, i think people should accept it for what it is.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1467200)   #28
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The A1GP cars are FAST

It's just that F1 speeds are insane!

A1 provides great entertainment
Old 22 Nov 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1467312)   #29
Quartermiler
Rookie

England
Quartermiler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep...I see where you're coming from. And as I said, A1 is awesome racing and I wouldn't want to see that change. Long may it last.

There is also no doubt that there is great racing in some lower classes.

As for looking down on the series, I'm not sure I personally look down on it as such, but it is being used as a trainer series by many, so I'm not sure how it could still be thought of as the World Cup?

The top drivers and quickest single seaters are still at F1,Indy/Champ and possibly now Grand Prix Masters.

I'm not sure why more powerful cars should spoil the show either, although it might on the lesser circuits, where overtaking may be impossible in very quick cars.

A World Cup suggests the cream of the sport in cars and drivers to me, it's a big banner to live upto.....more power would at least bridge the speed gap to the senior classes.

It will be interesting to see where the development of the series goes. In the meantime..I think it is a welcome addition to the motorsprt calendar.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1467376)   #30
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think it will only become a 'cream of the crop' series if the franchise owners put those drivers in their cars. However, I don't think the series has been diminished by that so far and the principle of a world cup still has a lot going for it I believe.

I think we need to see how the series progresses after its initial year.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1467516)   #31
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermiler
The top drivers and quickest single seaters are still at F1,Indy/Champ and possibly now Grand Prix Masters.
Is that right though? Let's be honest - F1, IRL and CCWS all have their share of paying drivers, who therefore are presumably not the best, otherwise they'd be there without their big wedge of cash. Does A1GP have any paying drivers that anyone knows of?
Old 22 Nov 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1467536)   #32
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Id also disagree that champ cars has better drivers than that of say GP2 or A1 GP. Sure they have Justin Wilson and Sebastian Bourdais, they dont however have drivers like Lewis Hamilton, Heikki Kovalinen, Alexandre Premat, Tomas Enge, Ralph Firman, and Nelson Piquet JR. All of whom IMO would do exceptionally well in Champ cars or the IRL. F1 obviously has the cream of the worlds drivers, at least 15 of them anyway, the back markers however are a differnt story.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1470334)   #33
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imo guys like tracy, bourdais, damatta, wilson, vasser, tagliani, junky and servia have proven to be (very) capable guys. "youngsters" like rhr, allmendinger, dominguez, bremer and glock have proven to be capable to run with them. Imo cc has a decent field with (unfortunately) not enough cars and a bunch of field fillers.

GP2 has some excellent talent, but it's just that: talent. Kovaleinen, piquet jr, premat and rosberg are great drivers, but they haven't proven themself in the topleagues (f1, cart, irl). Anyone remember Jan Magnussen (god in F3), Bernoldi (runner up in F3), or ricardo Rosset (runner up in F3000!), who all were good to great in junior formula's but failed to impress in F1. I do think that the GP2 field is full of talent and is the best in gp2/f3000 in years (since the montoya/heidfeld era).

A1gp has (had) some guys with experience in the topseries, like verstappen, enge, scheckter, herta, etc. coupled with young talent like premat, piquet and jani. However, there are also a lot of totally unknown drivers with basically no cv. Imo this is the main disadvantage of the country-system: a lot of drivers no one has heard of and no place for guys like kanaan, barrichello, tracy, etc. since their country's place has already been taken.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1470337)   #34
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But the great thing is it gives these "guys no-one has heard of" the chance to measure themselves on the international stage, which can only serve to develop motorsport in their countries
Old 26 Nov 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1470654)   #35
Roninho
Racer

No offence kicking back, but why should i care if racing develops in lebanon or china?

I wanna see the best (available) drivers compete with each other. And if that includes drivers from pakistan or russia: fine by me. But now we are seeing drivers lose 5 to 9 seconds over 2 laps in qualifying, in equal cars! Imo way to much.
Old 26 Nov 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1470758)   #36
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninho
No offence kicking back, but why should i care if racing develops in lebanon or china?

You don't have to, but that's one of the points of this series.

If you don't like it, don't watch it.
Old 26 Nov 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1470776)   #37
Roninho
Racer

Geeh, solves a lot of discussions. Don't like it, don't watch it.
Great point K-B.

The fact that i don't care for some chinese kid running seconds of pace because a1gp want's to develop racing over there, really does not mean i don't like a1gp or should not watch it.
I also would have like to see champcar race on more ovals, F1 to have lower costs to compete and have more participants in motogp. But that does not mean i don't watch this anymore.

I think it's great that there is another raceserie providing opportunities for drivers and fans, especially since it is in a race-free period and is providing good races. It would just have been even better imo if the cars were faster and there were more competive drivers, even if that goes against what A1gp wants to achieve.

You can disagree with that, and that's great since that is what a forum is all about. But when the reaction is: "don't watch it if you don't like it", imo your really missing the point.
Old 26 Nov 2005, 15:37 (Ref:1470791)   #38
armchair racer
Racer

England
Suburbia
armchair racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninho
Geeh, solves a lot of discussions. Don't like it, don't watch it.
Great point K-B.

The fact that i don't care for some chinese kid running seconds of pace because a1gp want's to develop racing over there, really does not mean i don't like a1gp or should not watch it.
I also would have like to see champcar race on more ovals, F1 to have lower costs to compete and have more participants in motogp. But that does not mean i don't watch this anymore.

I think it's great that there is another raceserie providing opportunities for drivers and fans, especially since it is in a race-free period and is providing good races. It would just have been even better imo if the cars were faster and there were more competive drivers, even if that goes against what A1gp wants to achieve.

You can disagree with that, and that's great since that is what a forum is all about. But when the reaction is: "don't watch it if you don't like it", imo your really missing the point.
would like to second that !! opinions are what this forum , and every other forum, are about, like me saying that, to me , a world cup of motorsport should go faster than f3 cars
Old 26 Nov 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1470887)   #39
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
They are several seconds a lap faster than an F3 car.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 02:35 (Ref:1471082)   #40
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
why should i care if racing develops in lebanon or china?
.ummm..because if motorsport develops in China it will be a new and very large source of finance, both from Chinese companies and western firms wanting to increase their presence there, plus will add an extra dimension to world motorsport in terms of venues and participants. The Football World Cup is huge and tremendously exciting because it is a global event, would you prefer motorsport to remain European and American (Nth and Sth) based?

Football will always be the world's #1 sport (in my lifetime anyway), but I love motorsport so want it to always be #2, but for that it needs to be global.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 14:01 (Ref:1471337)   #41
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Net-Ranger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair racer
as a matter of interest , does anybody know how the times of a1gp compared to last years time of cart at brands hatch???cheers
Well, answering this until march when the race at Monterrey take place we will have that weekend the comparison against a Champcar

Champcars Vs F1 are around 6-7 seconds of pace from the better F1, and around 2-3 seconds from the worst F1 car, the data comes from Montreal race
Old 27 Nov 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1471401)   #42
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair racer
since sennas crash all they want to do is slow down the cars and put them on unsuitable tracks ( monaco ) and change the best tracks ( hockenhiem) and put the senna s in ......
Agree about Hockenheim and the dull, overly safe modern tracks, but I'm pretty sure Monaco was around before Senna's crash