Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 16 Feb 2016, 02:04 (Ref:3615012)   #2926
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
(Is it just me that would be OK with that?)
Nope, my sort of "dream series" would be an IMSA GT series with GTLM as the top class and GS cars (rewind a few years before the Z/28).

That would be kinda of a step towards that at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
I still think they should introduce P3 into CTSCC
Might be a case for that now with the series failing and everything, but I'd much rather see them get the GS class back on track and attendance up again than have them introduce prototypes where they don't need to be.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 02:05 (Ref:3615013)   #2927
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well Daytona is the only "roval" on the schedule now since they got rid of the Indy roadcourse, if that would qualify, and the Kansas PC race a couple years ago. I don't think they're looking to add any to the schedule because it looks bad on TV.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 05:52 (Ref:3615031)   #2928
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Talladega road course!
Old 16 Feb 2016, 14:51 (Ref:3615119)   #2929
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
New Hampshire has the best layout, but you can run that without using either of the oval corners. Homestead is the same way, but Grand-Am never ran the full road course layout without NASCAR turn 3 and 4.
New Hampshire's layout suckkkkkkkkkkkssssssssss to race on though. The transitions from the outfield back in are awful.

Plus I think the Homestead roval was made better with the addition of NASCAR 3 and 4, otherwise it was just a track with a whole mess of slow corners.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 14:54 (Ref:3615122)   #2930
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Was it the Charlotte roval back in the early days of the ALMS where the cars were almost beaching on the transition from road course to oval? Dreadful spectacle.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 16:08 (Ref:3615134)   #2931
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The best was when PWC ran Charlotte several years ago, and they just ran around the oval and went through a couple chicanes the organizers had created by laying a few giant truck tires on the track. Did I say the best? I meant the opposite of that.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 16:16 (Ref:3615135)   #2932
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Was it the Charlotte roval back in the early days of the ALMS where the cars were almost beaching on the transition from road course to oval? Dreadful spectacle.
http://www.doubledeclutch.com/wp-con...te_jb_0082.jpg

Might be Texas you're thinking of. Easy mistake to make given the circuits are basically identical.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 16:19 (Ref:3615137)   #2933
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
New Hampshire has the best layout, but you can run that without using either of the oval corners. Homestead is the same way, but Grand-Am never ran the full road course layout without NASCAR turn 3 and 4.
I think New Hampshires road course is a really fun layout. Not for pro racing..but... it could be fun for club stuff.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 16 Feb 2016, 16:27 (Ref:3615141)   #2934
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
I think New Hampshires road course is a really fun layout. Not for pro racing..but... it could be fun for club stuff.
We've run there. It's not fun and is a car killer.

Great for small things like Legends cars and bikes, but not for full size cars.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 17:14 (Ref:3615158)   #2935
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
http://www.doubledeclutch.com/wp-con...te_jb_0082.jpg

Might be Texas you're thinking of. Easy mistake to make given the circuits are basically identical.
The URL for that photo suggests Charlotte in 2000, when Audi reverted to the R8R while the R8s were prepped for Le Mans. Either way, pretty lame. I don't really like rovals, and Daytona only gets a pass because of its history.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 17:30 (Ref:3615162)   #2936
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Put me in the camp who thinks that ALL rovals are garbage! Yes, even Daytona.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 18:21 (Ref:3615186)   #2937
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
New Hampshire's layout suckkkkkkkkkkkssssssssss to race on though. The transitions from the outfield back in are awful.

Plus I think the Homestead roval was made better with the addition of NASCAR 3 and 4, otherwise it was just a track with a whole mess of slow corners.
NHMS is really narrow on the outside portion, but I like the layout. I guess it's more for bikes.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 18:23 (Ref:3615187)   #2938
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best roval ever was the Charlotte PWC layout. They ran with the NASCAR weekend so the infield was full. Instead, they turned into the 1st corner of the road course, then right on to pit lane, then back out on to the oval. There was a chicane on the back straight, and that was it.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 19:34 (Ref:3615215)   #2939
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Best roval ever was the Charlotte PWC layout. They ran with the NASCAR weekend so the infield was full. Instead, they turned into the 1st corner of the road course, then right on to pit lane, then back out on to the oval. There was a chicane on the back straight, and that was it.
That's my holy grail of PWC races to get uploaded onto Youtube.

It was so absurd it was fantastic. The chicane on the back being made out of huge-ass tractor tires was the best.

Upshot, LOOK AT THE CROWD. Granted, they stayed after All-Star qualifying, but still.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 19:36 (Ref:3615217)   #2940
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Put me in the camp who thinks that ALL rovals are garbage! Yes, even Daytona.

Do you also consider Montlhery in France and 1950's-60's Monza as garbage tracks?
Old 16 Feb 2016, 20:00 (Ref:3615231)   #2941
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Texas world and Pocono could be interesting.

I've seen Texas World and it's really unusual, with a good bulk of the track on the outside of the oval.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 20:07 (Ref:3615234)   #2942
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Texas World is as good as Dead.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 20:17 (Ref:3615238)   #2943
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
We've run there. It's not fun and is a car killer.

Great for small things like Legends cars and bikes, but not for full size cars.
I've also run there. But, that was a time or two ago. I enjoyed it for SM. HDPE would be rough. I think the AMA ran there once in their dying light, but, I'm not much into that world.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 16 Feb 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3615249)   #2944
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Texas World is as good as Dead.
So is COTA
Old 16 Feb 2016, 21:23 (Ref:3615259)   #2945
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd rather even have them running on actual oval with some crap special handicap aero and NASCAR restrictor plates, than another stupid little roval no-one gives crap about. At least oneoff oval event would be somerhing special to write home about.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 21:27 (Ref:3615261)   #2946
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I'd rather even have them running on actual oval with some crap special handicap aero and NASCAR restrictor plates, than another stupid little roval no-one gives crap about. At least oneoff oval event would be somerhing special to write home about.
I've always thought a one-off race on the NHMS oval would have been fun with the current crop of cars. One mile flat oval, tighter corners and longer straights than Milwaukee, with less banking, iirc. P2 would have advantage through turns, while the torque of the DP would do well on the straights.

Idk, it'd be fun, might try it in iRacing.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 21:31 (Ref:3615263)   #2947
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Non-championship exhibition to test the waters first...
Old 16 Feb 2016, 21:54 (Ref:3615271)   #2948
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Well P2 and the DPs are going to give way to to the DPi eventually so BoP should be easier.

I say Phoenix rather then New Hampshire or Milwaukee because IMSA doesn't have a presence in the southwest and well Road America, lime rock and the Glen take car of those other area.

I see IMSA as sort of a anti-NASCAR series despite it well being owned by NASCAR now. You know, road course racing series that embraces tech, multiple classes. And of course having the cars be revelant. Because the cars ARE the stars.

But like how NASCAR run on two road courses despite it being an oval series, perhaps IMSA can have 1 oval. Could be interesting, might be a lot tired problem thought
Old 16 Feb 2016, 22:02 (Ref:3615276)   #2949
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Do you also consider Montlhery in France and 1950's-60's Monza as garbage tracks?
I'm not familiar with Montlhery. As for Monza I will just say that I am happy that it is the way that it is now. Look, I'm never going to say that it doesn't take any skill to drive in circles, or that there is no redeeming qualities in it (It's just not my cup of tea). Thing for me is that we have so, so many amazing natural terrain road courses throughout the world and especially in North America that driving sports cars on anything but is just a complete wasted opportunity. Honestly I'm not even a fan of Belle Isle or Long Beach.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 22:40 (Ref:3615291)   #2950
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
That's my holy grail of PWC races to get uploaded onto Youtube.

It was so absurd it was fantastic. The chicane on the back being made out of huge-ass tractor tires was the best.

Upshot, LOOK AT THE CROWD. Granted, they stayed after All-Star qualifying, but still.
Totally forgot they ran that before the all-star q-ing. That was good stuff and have to check it out.

Quote:
I've always thought a one-off race on the NHMS oval would have been fun with the current crop of cars. One mile flat oval, tighter corners and longer straights than Milwaukee, with less banking, iirc. P2 would have advantage through turns, while the torque of the DP would do well on the straights.

Idk, it'd be fun, might try it in iRacing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
I've only seen AMA or some bikes on the NHMS track. It was actually decent and goes outside the main part of the speedway, iirc. But yeah, either a bike track or club circuit.