Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Oct 2017, 12:34 (Ref:3774848)   #401
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If only flies could speak our language...
Old 18 Oct 2017, 12:53 (Ref:3774856)   #402
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
So Gow and his Supercars counterpart -
James Warburton - swapping hemispheres?

Plato off after Carlos?

???
Old 18 Oct 2017, 13:01 (Ref:3774857)   #403
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
So Gow and his Supercars counterpart -
James Warburton - swapping hemispheres?
If Warburton was to end up in charge of the BTCC you can wave goodbye to free-to-air TV deals. The broadcast situation with the VASC is dire, all in the name of short term gains.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 13:31 (Ref:3774859)   #404
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well seeing how Gow refused to put the series on pay TV, it would be a wally who decides to put it on pay TV. The series has always thrived on FTA, that’s what has made it a success
Old 18 Oct 2017, 13:35 (Ref:3774860)   #405
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
If Warburton was to end up in charge of the BTCC you can wave goodbye to free-to-air TV deals. The broadcast situation with the VASC is dire, all in the name of short term gains.
I agree to an extent - free-to-air is awesome.

But the funding from Fox in Australia props up the teams to a large extent. It means, with only a very few exceptions, all drivers are paid a wage too. Plus, Bathurst is live on free-to-air and all rounds have highlights on free-to-air too. This means there is pay TV money for the teams, but also exposure to attract sponsors.

But anyway, different market, different scenario, much bigger audience and Warburton used to work at Fox pre-Supercars.

A deal is a deal, so ITV will be around for the next 4 years at least.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3774861)   #406
S griffin
Veteran

Well I can see ITV staying longer than that
Old 18 Oct 2017, 13:51 (Ref:3774863)   #407
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
But the funding from Fox in Australia props up the teams to a large extent.
Hence my mention of short-termism.

It appears that pay TV numbers for sport generally are falling in Australia as the economy goes through whatever bit of whichever cycle we're currently in globally, and that the marketing of "you can only watch it all live here" results in a lot of the potential younger audience shrugging their shoulders and turning to YouTube instead.

Each and every time the contract for practically any domestic motorsport series comes up for renewal, the pot gets smaller and the demands on the pot larger. TV numbers for the BTCC are already tiny in comparison to other sports - driving it behind a paywall might briefly give some teams a bit of hope, but it wouldn't last.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 15:00 (Ref:3774868)   #408
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm surprised nobody has added the rumour of a retirement, with Plato's bad knee operation, and his off key performances this year together and......
Old 18 Oct 2017, 15:07 (Ref:3774870)   #409
CM388
Racer

CM388 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3rd race at Snett will be double distance & double points. Sounds exciting, I wonder if pit stops will be necessary?

http://www.btcc.net/2017/10/18/speci...r-anniversary/
Old 18 Oct 2017, 15:09 (Ref:3774871)   #410
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM388 View Post
3rd race at Snett will be double distance & double points. Sounds exciting, I wonder if pit stops will be necessary?

Epic. Some fans have been crying out for a longer race for some time now. Consider this a toe in the water.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 15:19 (Ref:3774873)   #411
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprised they've got the fuel cell capacity to do double the distance. Mind you I suppose a maximum SC addition at Thruxton would probably use a lot in total.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 15:43 (Ref:3774875)   #412
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM388 View Post

Hmm... not making it also a two-driver race is a bit of a missed chance...
Old 18 Oct 2017, 16:47 (Ref:3774887)   #413
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to have a longer race but it's a shame that a race of that length is considered to be special instead of the norm.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 17:09 (Ref:3774893)   #414
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
What seems strange is that at the end of 2016, they decided to withdraw from other forms of motorsport to concentrate on BTCC alone.
I wonder if that was partly driven by the Aston GT3 cars they were using starting to get a little old. better to sell them at the end of 2016 and hope to get a decent price for them than to continue for another year with perhaps less success and see them depreciate further.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3774904)   #415
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea of the longer race at Snetterton - but I'm not a massive fan of the double points part of the idea.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 18:53 (Ref:3774916)   #416
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
If this is a toe in the water stepping stone back to the early 2000's sprint and (longer) feature race then that would well and truly be a good thing in my books.

Reverse grid the feature, mandate both tyre types in it - so pitstops - and let the teams run the car as long as they want on each tyre type. Some strategy in the mix...

Let the sprint be purely a quick dash, no tyre restrictions, no ballast, no gimmicks... fastest car/driver wins. Subject to not getting punted by some numpty!
Old 18 Oct 2017, 21:49 (Ref:3774932)   #417
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I bet BMW and Subaru are rubbing their hands with a longer race on the cards (unless a special hard tyre is mandated to be used).
Old 19 Oct 2017, 08:27 (Ref:3774984)   #418
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
If this is a toe in the water stepping stone back to the early 2000's sprint and (longer) feature race then that would well and truly be a good thing in my books.

Reverse grid the feature, mandate both tyre types in it - so pitstops - and let the teams run the car as long as they want on each tyre type. Some strategy in the mix...

Let the sprint be purely a quick dash, no tyre restrictions, no ballast, no gimmicks... fastest car/driver wins. Subject to not getting punted by some numpty!
Oh, it's all so exciting, but proper pitstops cost money $$$.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3775067)   #419
S griffin
Veteran

Although I'm not 100% keen on the idea of double points, it's nice to have a bit of a break from the norm and with base weights and qualifying, the longer race will be very interesting. I personally would have loved to see the return of the two driver race for that

However I hope we do not get compulsory pitstops anytime soon, it's the action on track that makes the BTCC great
Old 19 Oct 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3775075)   #420
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
However I hope we do not get compulsory pitstops anytime soon, it's the action on track that makes the BTCC great
Agreed. Pitstops have their place... well... actually, personally I don't see the value in them at all. I want to see places gained by drivers on track, not because someone else was 0.5 seconds faster with a wheelgun.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 09:34 (Ref:3776056)   #421
Ry44
Racer

Ry44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rule changes next year

http://www.btcc.net/2017/10/24/rule-...8-btcc-season/
Old 24 Oct 2017, 09:35 (Ref:3776057)   #422
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All seem very positive to me!

I'm a particular fan of the increased reverse draw and of course harsher penalties.
Good to see more drivers eligible for the JST too
Old 24 Oct 2017, 09:55 (Ref:3776062)   #423
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So that suggests that they are not expecting more than 1-2 rookies in 2018?
Good signs of consistency with line-ups.

I know boost changes are complained about - hopefully they start the season at the right levels to limit complaints next year.

Not sure I agree with a R2 winner having to start as far back as 12th, or someone finishing 12th and getting a pole. Seems a bit too much IMO.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 09:59 (Ref:3776064)   #424
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Not sure I agree with a R2 winner having to start as far back as 12th, or someone finishing 12th and getting a pole. Seems a bit too much IMO.
Can't be a bad thing to see some different drivers get a chance at the front of the grid. Also leads to more overtaking from those put back on the grid. Would rather they lessened ballast for this though
Old 24 Oct 2017, 10:30 (Ref:3776073)   #425
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'd rather they determined the race 3 grid by having two sessions or something on the Saturday, or by having just 1 practice session, then 3 mini quali sessions for the 3 races.