Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 6 Jun 2017, 13:54 (Ref:3739011)   #101
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have said all along that if someone with the money could come in and buy the rights form IMG they could achieve a lot.

Run a proper ERC, away from IMG at the tracks we all know and love, proper rallycross. But it would still struggle initially, what support classes would you use, would you still run joker laps, would IMG force you to not run at venues they run at, or with competitors they run with, so you couldn't have a round in Lydden where EKX wanted to test for instance as they wold not be allowed to.

That is a considerable amount of money for a championship that offers very little to its competitors and the series as a whole, other than car numbers. They have been totally outcast in most cases to nothing.

But I would expect nothing less from these ruthless mercenaries.

I would imagine a conglomerate of people could get it done, but that just buys you the rights to run the series, nothing else, and I bet they paid a tenth of that, if anything.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 13:56 (Ref:3739013)   #102
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's an interesting thought. I think that the WRX offering is great but that opinion is based on a healthy support series and action packed weekends. Take Loheac this year for example. Probably 100 cars there. So it's worth the 6 hour drive from and to Calais. If you take out ERX and leave WRX and RX2, I don't think I'd go. WRX need to tread very carefully here. I think they overestimate the lure of the big names and underestimate the weight fans give to the support series.
People might be jumping for joy that the ERX will split but they also need to think carefully as without the WRX circus, will you really get 30+ supercars, 35 s1600 that you do now? That wasn't the case before IMG so no guarantee that it will continue.

I think they need each other personally.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 15:18 (Ref:3739025)   #103
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMG probably just want to market WRX and make it into a big championship like DTM or WRC.

Perhaps the ERX can return to some old tracks if it gets sold and be like a "B" championship for international rallycross, kinda like WRC and IRC a few years ago.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 15:26 (Ref:3739026)   #104
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebby View Post
Could be hope after all for Lydden... http://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbu...ycross-126598/
This is interesting news if it comes off. If the Silverstone round isn't going to be part of the ERX Championship it does make me wonder just how much additional stuff there is going to be laid on to justify the ticket cost?

Back on topic for a moment, a few pictures from Lydden:

And a some Retros as well:

Few more here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...57681696573764

For anyone who is interested!
Old 6 Jun 2017, 17:23 (Ref:3739047)   #105
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I do not think they need each other whatsoever.

I have read in numerous places now that certain people are very wary of IMG and their policies surrounding WRX. Even some of the teams are a little concerned about the tracks, notably Solberg when asked about losing Lydden to Silverstone and the fact RX is a bit part there.

A revised ERC series would not need massive support, or crowds, the only reason it would need it is because these idiot want 2 million for the rights, a figure they KNOW is ridiculous but one that is theirs to make up any amount they want. They don't want to sell it because right now European cars are a commodity to them. They call all the shots, and like Lydden this year you got the worst support categories you could, plus a load of badly running old bangers from Britain to make up the numbers.

Right now teams are interested as in comparison with things like DTM WRX is cheap, hence a guy like Ekstrom can get backing from a manufacturer and make himself look massive here. In actuality his effort is far smaller than a DTM or WEC team, so he and his sponsors are getting a good deal for much less money then if they were racing in a bigger series.

ERC could easily work. My issue is that would IMG let it. I I think we all know the answer to that.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 17:32 (Ref:3739049)   #106
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The European Challenge hasn't been a success either... Both WRX and ERX are too small in numbers to make it worthwhile, but together they would be! The year Doran's RS 200 caught fire had a massive entry, totally worthwhile the trip from Rotterdam!
Old 6 Jun 2017, 19:59 (Ref:3739096)   #107
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just caught up with the Lydden World RX coverage on Sky Sports Mix (better than motorsport tv as in high definition). Where has the loose surface gone?

The aerial footage above the joker shows pretty much a tarmac/concrete racing line right round Chessons and Paddock Bend. Tyre smoke from the rough tells you it isn't a loose surface. Wonder why Lydden spent the money knowing they were losing the event to Silverstone? The joker was loose hence the dust.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 20:38 (Ref:3739103)   #108
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
The European Challenge hasn't been a success either... Both WRX and ERX are too small in numbers to make it worthwhile, but together they would be! The year Doran's RS 200 caught fire had a massive entry, totally worthwhile the trip from Rotterdam!
I think that championship was more of a opposing series with dissatisfaction towards IMG. Their motto for example was "Rallycross the way it should be" or something like that and their logic was beyond my understanding. Besides, the official ERC became ERX so it was quite doomed from the beginning.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3739314)   #109
rx4u
Rookie

UK-ROI
Portsmouth
rx4u should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebby View Post
Could be hope after all for Lydden... http://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbu...ycross-126598/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Now this is interesting! As at lydden recently there was talk of wrestling the Euro title away with a consortium with Munnich and Doran, could be good for lydden or was it just wishful thinking from a few people?
Old 7 Jun 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3739317)   #110
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
It would not surprise me at all. Munnich is a man to do it, he has money to burn. As does Pat.

And it is people like that who need to be at the forefront of doing this, take the ERC rights away from IMG and let's bring rallycross back to where it ought to be tracks, budgets and driver wise.

Though I can see the need for WRX and that fact it has taken off, it is taking rallycross to a level that is not really representative of the fans, teams that are doing it (most of them are still old people from the past) and the tracks are terrible.

So I hope this comes off, but it only will with people like Pat, Munnich as they have the money to back it.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3739456)   #111
rx4u
Rookie

UK-ROI
Portsmouth
rx4u should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
It would not surprise me at all. Munnich is a man to do it, he has money to burn. As does Pat.

And it is people like that who need to be at the forefront of doing this, take the ERC rights away from IMG and let's bring rallycross back to where it ought to be tracks, budgets and driver wise.

Though I can see the need for WRX and that fact it has taken off, it is taking rallycross to a level that is not really representative of the fans, teams that are doing it (most of them are still old people from the past) and the tracks are terrible.

So I hope this comes off, but it only will with people like Pat, Munnich as they have the money to back it.
Would seem like a dream pairing but rumour also has it that Estering is on the verge of loosing the historical venue. The start of the 2018 season will be interesting, RM may other ties.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 11:56 (Ref:3739458)   #112
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Let's be honest here, could you really see the need for two German venues? IMG are only honouring a contract and would never dream of buying Estering out, why would they do, but it will be dropped as soon as the contract is run.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3739990)   #113
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard Estering has a 3 year contract starting next year!
Old 11 Jun 2017, 05:57 (Ref:3740147)   #114
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallye-Magazin.de reports that there won't be a joint event of DTM and WRX next year presumably: https://www.rallye-magazin.de/rallyc...etrennte-wege/.
IMG is unhappy how ITR (organizer of DTM) treats them. The question now is if there will be a RX event (without DTM) at Hockenheim next year or if they stay at the Estering. At least there has been some construction work going on in the last few years. That doesn't make the circuit bigger, but for me it's a sign of hope.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 18:37 (Ref:3740313)   #115
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
When joining DTM you know from the start you play 2nd fiddle.

Hopefully Estering stays in the WRX.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 20:55 (Ref:3740343)   #116
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Of course you play second fiddle, it is a huge, properly manufacturer backed series, with bigger drivers and vastly more bigger budgets. it is THEIR date, THEIR track and they have been here a lot longer than you I am afraid and have a background of massive success, decent racing and about as much clout in racing as WEC or Indycar. DTM is a truly massive series in Germany and with the manufacturers, they will never allow themselves to be dictated to by IMG.

The cars involved are not built by private Hansen or Solberg teams with dealer backing, they are built by AMG, BMW and Audi factory tams at their motorsport premises. Drivers are paid by Audi or BMW, not a sponsor.

And it is in Germany!! What on earth do these cretins expect, to be top dog?

Yet in Britain were are now faced with a ridiculous event next year when rallycross is not the main draw.

Double standards IMG, you are showing your true colours, more and more and more.