Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 25 Nov 2015, 10:51 (Ref:3593213)   #26
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Of course

Silverstone I can't stand the current circuit; after years of standing by the track pressed up to the fence between Abbey and Bridge, to go there and not be able to do that just makes me wish I hadn't bothered. I went in 2012 and 2013, to the WEC and BES, but not been since (focused on more rallying/N24/Spa 24).

I caught bits of the race this year, but the track was still lacking. It's similar to MotoGP in that regard, where there's good racing but I struggle to have enthusiasm for a lot of the circuits when it feels like they've forgotten to add the scenery.

I would have liked to watch the Nurburgring round, and hope I get to next year. Was away on holiday this year though. I have enjoyed Interlagos in previous years too, great circuit and I hope, but doubt very much, it returns.

Shanghai and COTA I feel the same as 'new' Silverstone about, I could not motivate myself to watch six hours from there. I fear Mexico City will join this list but I'll give it a chance.

Bahrain I quite like the circuit, but after the 2011/2012 government suppression and the FIA continuing as usual and pretending nothing happened, I have no interest in supporting their propaganda machine (yes, I know the same can be said about China and all sorts of other arguments, but that's how I feel about it - I don't judge anyone for watching it, just a personal 'protest').

The WEC don't help themselves with this ridiculous paywall that doesn't even include archiving content.

To be honest, I don't care about the championship, just a few races. They could have had me caring about the championship, but then we'll get into the whole Sebring/PLM/ILMC debate again.
Old 25 Nov 2015, 11:57 (Ref:3593221)   #27
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

I thought Mexico looked ok during the GP. The stadium bit is ridiculous of course, especially if you consider what it replaced. And, as mentioned elsewhere, there will be some crazy top speeds and some strange turbo vs atmo performance differences (unless unique BoP is forced on the teams for this race ).
Old 25 Nov 2015, 12:13 (Ref:3593227)   #28
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Of course

Silverstone I can't stand the current circuit; after years of standing by the track pressed up to the fence between Abbey and Bridge, to go there and not be able to do that just makes me wish I hadn't bothered. I went in 2012 and 2013, to the WEC and BES, but not been since (focused on more rallying/N24/Spa 24).

I caught bits of the race this year, but the track was still lacking. It's similar to MotoGP in that regard, where there's good racing but I struggle to have enthusiasm for a lot of the circuits when it feels like they've forgotten to add the scenery.

I would have liked to watch the Nurburgring round, and hope I get to next year. Was away on holiday this year though. I have enjoyed Interlagos in previous years too, great circuit and I hope, but doubt very much, it returns.

Shanghai and COTA I feel the same as 'new' Silverstone about, I could not motivate myself to watch six hours from there. I fear Mexico City will join this list but I'll give it a chance.

Bahrain I quite like the circuit, but after the 2011/2012 government suppression and the FIA continuing as usual and pretending nothing happened, I have no interest in supporting their propaganda machine (yes, I know the same can be said about China and all sorts of other arguments, but that's how I feel about it - I don't judge anyone for watching it, just a personal 'protest').

The WEC don't help themselves with this ridiculous paywall that doesn't even include archiving content.

To be honest, I don't care about the championship, just a few races. They could have had me caring about the championship, but then we'll get into the whole Sebring/PLM/ILMC debate again.
Can't argue with any of that! Whilst I will still watch the Tilke circuits, you're not wrong in your opinions here.

Mexico City is fine except the mess of the stadium section. It's not as nice as the old Mexico City but I expected worse. What does annoy me is the old final corner is still there, and used during NASCAR Mexico meetings. So it can be run. They just chose to run the awful stadium. I'd even settle for a bloody chicane on the back straight before the final corner to get rid of the stadium.
Old 25 Nov 2015, 12:22 (Ref:3593228)   #29
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Can't argue with any of that! Whilst I will still watch the Tilke circuits, you're not wrong in your opinions here.

Mexico City is fine except the mess of the stadium section. It's not as nice as the old Mexico City but I expected worse. What does annoy me is the old final corner is still there, and used during NASCAR Mexico meetings. So it can be run. They just chose to run the awful stadium. I'd even settle for a bloody chicane on the back straight before the final corner to get rid of the stadium.
It is there, but it hasn't been used for the fastest cars around that track since Champ Car was there for the last time, they were the first to run through the stadium. And the simple reason why it can't be used is - no run-off, and exactly zero possibility of creating more run-off there. There is a retaining wall behind the fencing/barrier around the Peraltada, and beyond that retaining wall is a major public road.
Old 25 Nov 2015, 12:46 (Ref:3593231)   #30
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
It is there, but it hasn't been used for the fastest cars around that track since Champ Car was there for the last time, they were the first to run through the stadium. And the simple reason why it can't be used is - no run-off, and exactly zero possibility of creating more run-off there. There is a retaining wall behind the fencing/barrier around the Peraltada, and beyond that retaining wall is a major public road.
There is room between the wall and the main road for 25 meters of run off at its shortest point, and almost 100m at the longest point. If they wanted to adapt it, they could fit a fair bit in there. You could get it pretty close to Monzas run off (check Google maps - it's only about 20 metres difference throughout. But there are a lot of buildings in there that would need to go first.

However the NASCAR Mexico series runs there, and NASCAR ran Nationwide there. So there have been 200mph cars running there.

I just feel the entire section has been badly managed. They could've used that section if they really wanted to, but instead they built the stadium section out of traffic cones in the 2000s and stuck with that.
Old 25 Nov 2015, 13:10 (Ref:3593233)   #31
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old Silverstone was great. Old (non butchered) Spa was AMAZING.

Now Silverstone has been renovated from happy daycare center to some sterile featurless hospital room that you need to visit to have your testicles tested for cancer. Spa is the girl you knew in high school and had crush on, but has had 87 different cosmetic surgeries since then and now you rather date your pet rabbit than her. But I guess you can at least still phone to the girl without feeling too uneasy, unlike with the clinic.

If they weren't pre LM practice rounds they'd be worthless to me. Well unless this was still ILMC and ELMS was integrated to the world series to make the races events by themselves.

Last edited by Deleted; 25 Nov 2015 at 13:17.
Old 25 Nov 2015, 15:57 (Ref:3593268)   #32
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
OK, to state the obvious, why would the WEC go to a non-F1/non-Grade 1 track? The WEC’s business model is pretty clear: aside from Le Mans, the series wants to race at the same circuits as F1, as a means of suggesting that they’re top-rate, just like F1.
Old 25 Nov 2015, 16:26 (Ref:3593274)   #33
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I refuse to sign a paper that says you need to mimick the concepts of more popular to become respected yourself. And that you need to compare yourself to those others instead of doing your own creative thing. And that the it's the masses you should target yourself to, when concept is ill fated for such.

But I'm sure that's exactly what has been carved into the stone.

Last edited by Deleted; 25 Nov 2015 at 16:33.
Old 5 Dec 2015, 08:38 (Ref:3595641)   #34
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MSV targeting pre-LM24 WEC round

Chiana pick an alternative circuit in each country were the WEC visits can't be lower than grade 2. Spa can be switched with another eu circuit.
Old 5 Dec 2015, 11:59 (Ref:3595664)   #35
Deleted
Veteran

But Mexico doesn't have any alternative either, it would have to be from Latin America in general.

Nor does Bahrain so it'd have to be other Middle Eastern country, or general Asia

And even non-F1 tracks wouldn't really fix everything if you still had all in 6h format, and some market zones absent or not as strongly represented as should. In any calendar, I think US should have 2 races minimum. Then there's question of Kyalami of course.

Last edited by Deleted; 5 Dec 2015 at 12:09.
Old 5 Dec 2015, 12:15 (Ref:3595666)   #36
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...and the new Kyalami is beginning to look very good! Work is progressing very nicely.
Old 5 Dec 2015, 12:23 (Ref:3595667)   #37
Deleted
Veteran

Yes it is.

I would also be perfectly fine with both Silverstone and Spa 6 Hours if they had in integrated ELMS grids in them again. Even partially (LMP2+3) to meet the maximum capacity. Would be very happy about having those two then.

If there weren't any changes to proceduals, I think Nurburgring GP Track is the only one I'd retain by itself bar Le Mans. Clearly Nordschleife is impossibility (other than for GTs that is) but it's good enough replacement in crucial market zone with good crowds, and the track isn't totally wrecked yet.
Old 6 Dec 2015, 06:34 (Ref:3595832)   #38
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not wrecked but it was never good in the first place

I was shocked with Mexico's track. I knew I couldn't expect the current layout to be evenly remotely on par with the old great one, but boy...... It's easily the worst track on the entire F1 calendar, and that's a not small "accomplisment" with the likes of Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, China, CGV(beautiful surroundings, horrible layout) and Sochi.

Despite being mostly comprised of dull slow corners, even these other tracks have one or two nice corners. Mexico's best corner is still quite subpar, imho.

The track I would most like to be included in the calendar, from Latin America, is Argentina's Potrero de los Funes. Will NEVER happen, though. John Dagys has a nice onboard on his youtube account: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GLyF3TUJM

I'm not the only one to dream, though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7ey1UjnWw8

Middle Eastern-wise, Losail is a fantastic track, a complete opposite of Bahrain and Abu Dhabi. Not only the layout is much better but it's full of grass and gravel too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uaruZ9k8Xg
Incredible how MotoGP has much better tracks than F1, btw(Losail, Muggelo, Sachsenring, Brno....)

I would assume Qatar has the money to host a WEC race, it's just likely that Bahrain can afford a lot more(plus, of course, the F1 connection)

I like Silverstone and Spa very much and the only Euro place I would replace is Nurburgring with Muggelo(also never happening). I know WEC needs a German track but I'm not fond of any, Sachsenring apart(but that's a bike's layout. Wouldn't work for WEC). My option for Muggelo is purely based on layout.

I know Fuji won't be replaced due to Toyota but, in Japan, I prefer any other track(possible exception of Okayama).

I would also like China replaced with either Sepang or Buriram, as Asia's round.

To post a final dream, WEC would be FANTASTIC in Turkey. It's just a shame where the track is located and that motorsport is non-existent in that part of the world

Of course, YorkshireLad asked Chiana, so sorry for getting in the way
Old 6 Dec 2015, 06:48 (Ref:3595836)   #39
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
MotoGP is awesome to watch at Losail, would love to see WEC under lights there
Old 6 Dec 2015, 07:04 (Ref:3595838)   #40
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
For America Id choose Road America and Sebring. Prefer RA because the elevation and scenery. In the mid-east I think Dubai looks slightly better (not to be confused with Abu Dhabi Yas Marina). Keep Spa the Ring and obviously Le Mans. Not sure how to replace Silverstone, but I wish theyd run Imola like the elms. In Japan I like Fuji and its a lot better than it gets credit for, but I would prefer Kyushu/Autopolis first, Suzuka second and then Fuji. China is fine imo. Latin America would be Potrero de los Funes above all. What a track location, the layout aint bad either minus a chicane or two.

In the future I hope they add Australia. They have plenty of tracks, but not sure on the grade 1 status.
Old 6 Dec 2015, 11:07 (Ref:3595881)   #41
Deleted
Veteran

Kyalami 9 Hours
Portrero de los Funes 6 Hours
Laon 6 Hours
Le Mans 24 Hours
Donington Park 6 Hours
Nurburgring 6 Hours
Road America 500 Miles
Road Atlanta 500 Miles
Zhuhai 6 Hours
Fuji 12 Hours

South Africa takes Bahrain, Argentina Mexico, and (second) France Belgium. Second USA finally added.

Zhuhai is "alright" but I still like it much better than rest of the blandness in China. And I don't like Fuji as a track at all, but I would be fine with it if were made something more special like above. Otherwise, SUGO or Okayama or Autopolis.

In preferable scenario European rounds would be integrated with ELMS, and Asian with ASLMS. I would also prefer 1000km over 6 hours, but I'm willing to compromise on that.

I could consider switching this Laon thing for Imola too, if the profile is more lackluster than expected. Also admittely Italian market is important

Anyway it's still not my dream calendar still, as that would not only include Sebring12 & PLM but also Adelaide, and some other removal-changes. But those are too unrealistic even for this

Last edited by Deleted; 6 Dec 2015 at 11:25.
Old 6 Dec 2015, 13:21 (Ref:3595898)   #42
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am OK with the current circuits - just want a 10 round season. Would move the calendar around. Silverstone in the summer months for better weather. Austin in the spring - don't want to compete against football in the fall.
Old 6 Dec 2015, 17:37 (Ref:3595930)   #43
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looks like SRO will get to South Africa before the ACO. I really hope all that investment in Kyalami is rewarded.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/1...re-agenda.html
Old 6 Dec 2015, 19:24 (Ref:3595945)   #44
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Looks like SRO will get to South Africa before the ACO. I really hope all that investment in Kyalami is rewarded.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/1...re-agenda.html

I'm not really sure that's a good thing for their local series.... The Sepang 12 hours had entries in the mid-30s a few years ago, but is down to just 26 for this year, now being run under the SRO umbrella.
Old 5 May 2016, 19:37 (Ref:3638922)   #45
Deleted
Veteran

New article from last month
http://www.msv.com/media/4733770/jol...ure-130416.pdf

Four racing events per year planned (whenever that may theoretically be), otherwise track day stuff and such.