Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:07 (Ref:3744734)   #7851
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Cheer up Sypderman, it may not have been the dominating performance of previous years but to come from the back of the grid to win while your rivals all falter is a magnificent achievement.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:24 (Ref:3744764)   #7852
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Porsche did it. Who would have thought.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:43 (Ref:3744786)   #7853
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Porsche did it. Who would have thought.

For me, I didn't even know what to think. The way all of the Toyotas tumbled out of the race, and the way the #1 Porsche fell out. This year's race played with everything I thought I knew and understood about endurance racing. My only takeaway is that I know nothing
Old 18 Jun 2017, 13:47 (Ref:3744789)   #7854
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Congratulations Porsche. That was soooooooooo hard!
Old 18 Jun 2017, 15:08 (Ref:3744829)   #7855
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Today it was won by the one who had the least problems in LMP1, so well done Porsche #2, commiserations to everyone else
Old 18 Jun 2017, 16:09 (Ref:3744867)   #7856
kaivo
Racer

Estonia
kaivo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche #2 is good example, never give up
Old 18 Jun 2017, 22:07 (Ref:3745000)   #7857
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I do think that after this, Toyota and Porsche would be wise to invest in some testing at Sebring. Testing there in the heat and humidity on a nasty, bumpy track was influential in Audi and Peugeot's success over the years. If you're going to break something, it'll happen at Sebring, and better there in a test than at LM during race week.

We also have to remember, though it was a tire test, some examples of LMP2s tested at Sebring, and that along with the 12 Hour IMSA race probably gave the likes of Oreca, Onroak and Dallara valuable feed back on what they needed to do to get the durability for LM.

I do think that what Audi and Peugeot were doing with their 30 hour tests there over the years needs to be looked at by Toyota and Porsche. Especially given that if a competent team ran a decent LMP1 privateer car on the LM grid this year, we might not have had a LMP1 factory team car win this year.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 22:14 (Ref:3745006)   #7858
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Congrats to Porsche. Them changing the front mgu faster than Toyota paid off. That's what won them this race. Amazing that every hybrid car faced issues though. I bet that changes next year.
Old 18 Jun 2017, 22:50 (Ref:3745019)   #7859
Coldasice
Rookie

Canada
Coldasice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Huge congratulations to Porsche for the win. The grandmasters of endurance racing did it again.

What I find most impressive is this. The 919 was fast, easily serviceable, and had air conditioning.

The TS050 was fast, poorly serviceable, and had no air conditioning. Toyota claims that adding AC would result in an overweight car.

Porsche fans, can anyone confirm if the 919 is overweight, or under the weight limit?
Old 19 Jun 2017, 05:31 (Ref:3745068)   #7860
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that Porsche had a flawless LM in 2015, fielding three cars in one of the fastest races in the history, but then they had big problems in 2016/2017.
But winning Le Mans is on their DNA, that's what matters. They won again. Well deserved.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 08:13 (Ref:3745106)   #7861
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Any idea on when we might see the sprint spec 919 other than Nurburgring and what it might be like? There's no excuse to not run that kit now, since LM's out of the way, and even though they have a 36 point lead in the manufacturers' championship now, that's not an unassailable lead with 2/3 of the season to go. They have every excuse to put the screws to Toyota to challenge for the title.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 09:30 (Ref:3745125)   #7862
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And they really should do it to keep the rest of season interesting enough to watch.
As for Le Mans, and idea why the Porsches lost so much time under the slow zones?
Even their GT cars seemed to be affected.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 13:42 (Ref:3745221)   #7863
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Congratulations to Porsche. A win ?* la 1977. Good job.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 18:06 (Ref:3745283)   #7864
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Motorsport Total saying Porsche maybe considering F1 engine supply. I'll post the link later. So sad to hear this. Hopefully they decide against it.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 19:22 (Ref:3745328)   #7865
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Motorsport Total saying Porsche maybe considering F1 engine supply. I'll post the link later. So sad to hear this. Hopefully they decide against it.
There's been a few stories about them and Toyota being in attendance at F1's future rules meetings for the engines (in 2020 I believe).
Old 19 Jun 2017, 23:38 (Ref:3745379)   #7866
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldasice View Post
Huge congratulations to Porsche for the win. The grandmasters of endurance racing did it again.

What I find most impressive is this. The 919 was fast, easily serviceable, and had air conditioning.

The TS050 was fast, poorly serviceable, and had no air conditioning. Toyota claims that adding AC would result in an overweight car.

Porsche fans, can anyone confirm if the 919 is overweight, or under the weight limit?
The birds in my ear say the 919 is close to, if not at, minimum weight since 2015, while Toyota has struggled to get below a short ton.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 17:25 (Ref:3745557)   #7867
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Nice to see Hartley showing commiserations to Toyota, but that's Le Mans, very human
Old 21 Jun 2017, 01:58 (Ref:3745645)   #7868
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/n...-17061901.html

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36699.html

Quote:
That is the claim of Germany's Auto Bild, saying Porsche has accepted an invitation to attend the next meeting to discuss F1's post-2020 engine rules.

"We now know the (Le Mans) regulations for 2020," said Porsche's Le Mans chief Fritz Enzinger.

"In the next weeks Peugeot should decide whether they come or not. But even if they do, we have to consider whether we want to go another two or three years in Le Mans.

"At the moment, I cannot assess that," he added.
Funny that they're so openly referring to Peugeot. Building up pressure? Seidl did this too.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 02:09 (Ref:3745648)   #7869
Scorchess
Racer

Scorchess has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The announcement of the 2020 LMP1 rules also spoke of 'other manufacturers' attending, seperately mentioned from Peugeot who were referenced by name. Don't underestimate the power of just turning up and seeing what you can influence.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 04:05 (Ref:3745662)   #7870
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
The only four that have been named so far as having something to do with the 2020 regs are Audi (early stages pre-WEC withdraw), Porsche, Toyota and Peugeot. There are others though who haven't been named as of yet.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 05:40 (Ref:3745671)   #7871
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
The only four that have been named so far as having something to do with the 2020 regs are Audi (early stages pre-WEC withdraw), Porsche, Toyota and Peugeot. There are others though who haven't been named as of yet.
There's some hearsay about that Nissan may've been party to the talks. Considering the position they find themselves in after acquiring MMC, the plug-in rules seem to play to their favor.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 06:53 (Ref:3745685)   #7872
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
The birds in my ear say the 919 is close to, if not at, minimum weight since 2015, while Toyota has struggled to get below a short ton.
Toyota said they were at the minimum weight since 2014. I think the dropped air-con is a thing that they do to save weight because it's not needed. They seem to be ok on the cockpit temperatures. I don't think either of them are overweight. Maybe they are close to it and have a little ballast but not an ideal amount for weight distribution? That's about all I can imagine.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 23:58 (Ref:3745887)   #7873
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Toyota said they were at the minimum weight since 2014. I think the dropped air-con is a thing that they do to save weight because it's not needed. They seem to be ok on the cockpit temperatures. I don't think either of them are overweight. Maybe they are close to it and have a little ballast but not an ideal amount for weight distribution? That's about all I can imagine.
I wonder how the turbo V6 compares to the old N/A V8 as well on the scales. Any word from Cologne?
Old 27 Jun 2017, 11:55 (Ref:3747265)   #7874
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
It looks like the end is near : http://www.motorsport-total.com/wec/...reiche-gruende
Old 27 Jun 2017, 13:35 (Ref:3747298)   #7875
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If P1 crumbles, and you are the ACO, what do you do (or what do you think they will do)?

Also, if Porsche pulls out of the WEC (and no one else enters), does the series fold overnight based on the FIA manufacturer requirements?