Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 10 Jun 2008, 12:07 (Ref:2224730)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Desperate Ayse - An Error 99 - Just Before Le Mans!!!

I can't believe it. Sorting out my camera gear this morning. Charged up all the batteries. Everything ready. Needed a photo of something for Ebay - zilch - ERROR 99. Thought nothing of it and changed the CF card. No use. Tried all of my CF cards - 7 in all. No change. Changed batteries three times. Did the disconnect everything and wait 20 minutes. Nothing. Cleaned the contacts. Still nothing. It does it with all my batteries, all my CF cards, both of my lenses and thiose of a friend, and also without a lens. Shutter sits up fully on sensor clean.

Sounds like I'm stuffed, yeah? Its a 10D by the way, well out of warranty.

I'm lucky, as I always borrow a friends EOS flash and wide angle lens for Le Mans. He's away so his wife gave me his whole camera bag, so I guess I can use his D30 too! On which my lenses work fine and all the CF cards work too.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 10 Jun 2008 at 12:15.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 14:30 (Ref:2224848)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I should have added that, interestingly, when I try and take a shot, it is recording onto the CF card. I'm certain this isn't any kind of shutter problem, nor is it a CF card problem - it seems to be something at the conclusion of the 'recording' process that is failing. I even tried updating the firmware, hope springs eternal....... No such bloody luck.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 14:37 (Ref:2224862)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Seriously bad timing

I'm afraid I don't have any helpful advice, however, taking my info from the "IT Book Of Useful Techinques":

1) Turn it off and on again.
2) Hit it.
3) Stare at it blankly then try again in the vain hope it's fixed itself.
4) Throw it against the wall in a fit of rage.
5) Break down and cry.
6) Swap it with someone elses and hope they don't notice.

At least you can take your friends camera so you're not totally high and dry.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 15:30 (Ref:2224921)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have a 10D and I get that with one of my lens'. Can't cure it, I just don't know what it is.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2224984)   #5
Mike Savage Photography
Rookie

England
Strood, Rochester
Mike Savage Photography should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have had a similar thing and turned out to be a fault with my lens. Was told it can also be a issue with the contacts between lens and body.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 19:10 (Ref:2225083)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thanks anyway guys - I'm 100% certain that this isn;t a lens issue - I've cleaned all the contacts - several times, my lenses work on my pal's D30 and I still get the error even with no lens attached and no CF card installed....

As to Bert's suggestions, I've done all except 4 and 6...........
Old 10 Jun 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2225094)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Ayse. I have only just picked up on this thread.
My nephew has run a camera repair workshop for the last 25 + years and does most of the work for the big camera shops.
I will email him tonight and ask him to give me any ideas, but I would think he would tell me tomorrow when he has access to the relevant CD manual.
Obviously to late for Le Mans but will PM you anyway.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 10 Jun 2008, 20:50 (Ref:2225167)   #8
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had that problem and in my case it WAS the lens (a sigma wide angle) used different lenses and all was fine. I cleaned the contacts and everything but it still would not work...now binned!
Old 10 Jun 2008, 21:09 (Ref:2225185)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
My local LCE has a couple of nice looking 20Ds for sale SH - noyt a lot more than the one 10D they have. I'm tempted to nip into town and buy one of them tomorrow......

And thanks Gordon, I much appreciate any advice - the silly thing is that I still feel there is something really stupid with it that I can't figure out - you know, press one button or something and, hey presto! But I've been trying anything I could think of (or find on the internet) all day without success. Soooooooooooooooo frustrating!
Old 10 Jun 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2225212)   #10
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some canons have the main battery and then a small cell hidden. Does the 10D?
Old 10 Jun 2008, 21:28 (Ref:2225213)   #11
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
ERROR 99 is Canon's catch-all error message, basically means that an error occurred but the camera say specifically what caused that error. In other words it could be anything.

That said, almost every time I've seen it mentioned it's been a lens related issue - either the lens firmware or contacts. If you get the same error with different lenses then I'd guess it was a problem with the contacts on the body.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 22:08 (Ref:2225243)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
[quote=redshoes]ERROR 99 is Canon's catch-all error message, basically means that an error occurred but the camera say specifically what caused that error. In other words it could be anything.

quote]

A bit like a management light on the dashboard
Maybe they use a code reader ?

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 10 Jun 2008 at 22:11.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Jun 2008, 02:17 (Ref:2225353)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mine is definitely the lens. A sigma 150-400. All others work fine.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 06:38 (Ref:2225425)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
But all my lenses work fine on another camera and I still get the problem with no lens attached....... I've checked the back-up battery and even updated the firmware......

Anyhow, my darling wife has just handed me a wodge of cash to go and buy another camera this morning.....
Old 11 Jun 2008, 06:46 (Ref:2225427)   #15
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Anyhow, my darling wife has just handed me a wodge of cash to go and buy another camera this morning.....
Blimey Has she got any sisters !
Old 11 Jun 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2225484)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
But all my lenses work fine on another camera and I still get the problem with no lens attached....... I've checked the back-up battery and even updated the firmware......
Yep,

Mine does too. And the other lenses work on my D10. But not the one that gives the error (anymore).
Old 11 Jun 2008, 09:05 (Ref:2225519)   #17
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Are you going to make it stretch to a 40D Ayse?

Seems a shame to get a 20d as it's already 2 models out of date and with no warranty.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 10:13 (Ref:2225575)   #18
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had error 99 a couple of times on my 10D.

First time it was the lens contacts and easily fixed.

Second time it was a damaged shutter blade not closing down properly - and a bit more expensive to fix.

Given the age and lack of warranty on the 10D a new body would certainly seem to be the best solution if you can do it.

Last edited by neil_davidson2; 11 Jun 2008 at 10:22.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2225682)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
In order to be fair to my missus, I was determined to spend the said wodge as reasonably as I could and in the end I got a very good deal on a used 10D. I know you'll think that's daft, but until now my 10D has served me brilliantly and I don't need anything more than it offers me. I've got 6 months warranty and they reduced the price twice for me, so..... No chance of upgrading to a 40D - who knows, perhaps Chriostmas.... At least I have a camera of my own for Le Mans, thank goodness.

And back to the lenses Peter, none of them will work on the old camera. I don't personally think it is a lens issue. They told me in the shop that it would cost me a least £100 but there would be no cheap diagnosis - they'd look at it, fix it and charge me whatever it cost. They told me to expect double that....... Which makes it economically unviable. Anyone have contacts with Canon.......?

Last edited by Aysedasi; 11 Jun 2008 at 12:13.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 12:37 (Ref:2225702)   #20
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have found if you have a battery grip fitted to remove that as well as the lens and batteries and then put it all back together again and this usually fixes any error 99's I have had.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 16:50 (Ref:2225917)   #21
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Aysedasi. From the horses mouth I am reliably informed that it is a shutter "related" problem and yes they can extract a code like your car ecu, the 99 is as said just showing an "error".
My nephew said that its probably a "phase switch" gone on the blink but its all got to come to pieces to fix it. Not a very cost effective job but I will PM you with an estimate that you might be interested in.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2225962)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
PM sent Gordon - many thanks.

No grip Mark.........
Old 11 Jun 2008, 21:50 (Ref:2226385)   #23
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
It depends on exactly how he threatened her I guess...

Mine told me to buy my first DSLR. £1250 it was.
But then she was expecting, and wanted sprog shots done!
Old 1 May 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2872532)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've resurrected this thread because I've got that damned Error 99 back again on my trusty 10D.

Same sort of thing, the shutter process is clearly not working properly. But it only happens on my 100-300. With my smaller zoom (and with no lens at all), everything is fine. Which to me souhds like a communication problem with the bigger lens. I've cleaned the contacts - including with the recommended pencil eraser - but no luck.

My son has my spare 10D body so when he next comes home, I'll try the lens on that and see what happens. The lens has worked perfectly since I got it a year or more ago and I've no idea where this Error 99 has come from this time. First shot today - it failed. Strangely it works fine on Programme mode......
Old 2 May 2011, 05:50 (Ref:2872725)   #25
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you tried removing the backup battery (button cell) and leaving it for a minute...? Granted you'll need to reset the time and date but it might just help a bit

Good luck

Phil