Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Feb 2015, 01:34 (Ref:3507243)   #51
Somatosis
Rookie

Australia
Somatosis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
That comment just makes no sense. Rick Kelly and Shane van Gisbergen were two of the quickest drivers last year.

The beauty of the 2014 race for me was local experts in unfamiliar cars teamed/against international drivers who were experts with the car but didn't know the nooks and crannies of Bathurst. Gotz v Lowdnes was the perfect version of this.

Would love to see that element return next year, here's hoping V8SCs don't mess it up again.
I agree entirely, it would be a real shame to lose the local flavour. On one hand I'm hoping the event keeps growing as fast as it feels it is, on the other hand it could easily become too homogenised in trying to be a Spa 24.

Can't wait for my 5th visit ('90, '94, '14, '15 so far). I'm hoping the '16 version has:
  • The Giz
  • A money tree to enable speedy clearance of 'cutting victims' and some shade for the punters
  • Manthey or a TUSCC team
  • Camping at the top of the mountain
  • Dempsey/Bana/Webber
  • The same brilliant organisation, access to competitors and atmosphere
  • Some way of having more dark running without losing the magic of the start ???????
  • A well enough behaved baby (and wife!) to allow me to keep attending
Old 21 Feb 2015, 01:53 (Ref:3507248)   #52
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Couldn't care less about anyone from the V8SC circus showing up. Lowndes is about the only guy worth a drive, but the rest I just see as taking valuable positions that I would rather see world class GT3 drivers in. Give me the likes of Winkelhock (whose opening stint this year was sheer brilliance), Vanthoor, Mies, Ortelli, Mucke, Vilander, Gavin, all the Bentley and Nismo boys, over the overrated taxi drivers any day.
This discussion will be done to death over the next 12 months, however it's a passionate topic with many. I'm split with my thoughts as I love the idea of a local team(s) with a Lowndes, SVG etc taking on some of the worlds best GT drivers. I would love to see if the likes of JW, McLaughlin and Frosty could be competitive.
On the flip side, we probably wouldn't have seen Estre, Latif, Chiyo etc if the local V8SC guys were available.
If the event becomes a GT3 only event, then there will be plenty of room for both. As I've said previously, i wouldn't be surprised if we see 8-10 V8SC main gamers entered next year.
And if there were no V8SC main gamers entered, what genuine motor sports fan wouldn't be happy with seeing more of the worlds best GT drivers ?

Last edited by Reload; 21 Feb 2015 at 02:13.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 13:55 (Ref:3507346)   #53
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
People can ask for the removal of the slower classes, but I can't get behind that; I definitely feel they have their place, just like the N24.

The argument that really makes no sense to me is the one where people are expecting the same level of GT3 growth, which I personally can't see continuing.

20-30 GT3s is about the par for an absolute top line enduro, and I don't see that number going beyond that, relying on the Porsche and Invitational classes for the rest of the field. Nurburgring and Dubai have both settled around that mark, and only Spa (in the heart of GT country) gets more than that, but that's partly due to the BES championship.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 20:31 (Ref:3507465)   #54
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somatosis View Post
  • Camping at the top of the mountain
Anything but this.

Those that are requesting this have not put enough thought into the consequences of what this will mean for the event so I will spell it out....
- Camping up top will mean that only those who are camping up there will be able to drive their cars to the top of the mountain due to parking / space capacity. Everyone else will be left to wait and pay for the bus service.
- These sites will bring out far too many of the October regulars of which the event is not about.
- More marquees and roped off areas preventing other spectators who journey up the top for just a couple of hours having somewhere to sit and actually be able to view.

It will destroy the relaxed spectator flexibility that is a major differentiator between this and the October meeting. They have ample camping they can open up down the bottom outside of hell corner which hopefully will continue. If you don't like camping there, book your sites earlier to be behind the pits.

Pretty sure the event promoters understand this so hopefully we are in safe hands. They have a track record of making the right decisions for the 12hr to date.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 21:52 (Ref:3507484)   #55
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort View Post
Anything but this.

Those that are requesting this have not put enough thought into the consequences of what this will mean for the event so I will spell it out....
- Camping up top will mean that only those who are camping up there will be able to drive their cars to the top of the mountain due to parking / space capacity. Everyone else will be left to wait and pay for the bus service.
- These sites will bring out far too many of the October regulars of which the event is not about.
- More marquees and roped off areas preventing other spectators who journey up the top for just a couple of hours having somewhere to sit and actually be able to view.

It will destroy the relaxed spectator flexibility that is a major differentiator between this and the October meeting. They have ample camping they can open up down the bottom outside of hell corner which hopefully will continue. If you don't like camping there, book your sites earlier to be behind the pits.

Pretty sure the event promoters understand this so hopefully we are in safe hands. They have a track record of making the right decisions for the 12hr to date.
+1
Old 21 Feb 2015, 22:37 (Ref:3507496)   #56
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Presumes firstly that ErebusGT are coming back to the B12.. and if they do... what kind of car might they run.. and will that impact the driver choice...
Did you hear Betty talk during this years 12 hour? She will be back in whatever car. I would still be surprised if they go away from the Mercedes product
Old 21 Feb 2015, 23:13 (Ref:3507504)   #57
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Anything but this.

Well said, couldn't agree more.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 23:46 (Ref:3507512)   #58
Somatosis
Rookie

Australia
Somatosis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Anything but this.
There were enough marquees left up overnight to take up all the prime space anyway. As for roped off areas, I could never understand this whenever I went to the 1000.

Anyway, I can't disagree with your points, especially about retaining the relaxed feel and you're right, my 'request' didn't consider the longer term risks - thanks for articulating this so clearly.

How about this then:
a separate queue at the access road gate for those who'd like to see the start from the top and already have tickets

We left the campsite at 5.20am and missed the first 3 laps due to the traffic.

I love camping in the paddock and frankly prefer it, the only downside being people who leave their vocal chords cranked up and filthy until 2am - but you'll get that anywhere....

Last edited by Somatosis; 21 Feb 2015 at 23:48. Reason: messed up the quote syntax
Old 22 Feb 2015, 00:40 (Ref:3507524)   #59
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ah yes the can't have those vb drinks at our event. /Chardonnay set
Old 22 Feb 2015, 00:43 (Ref:3507525)   #60
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
2016 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 Hour: 4-7 February

Quote:
Anything but this.

Couldn't agree more with you, some very valid points raised. Personally I don't think people should be able to leave marquees etc up overnight. Spectator space up the top should not be monopolized by a few who don't spare much thought for others enjoyment. I'd be all for banning marquees outright but I do realise there's not much shade up top so I can see why they'd be of benefit. Maybe they should limit the space taken up by these marquees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somatosis View Post

We left the campsite at 5.20am and missed the first 3 laps due to the traffic.

Wow. I remember leaving the campsite in 2014 45mins before the start and was up the top in ten minutes cause there wasn't much traffic. I had plenty of time to find a good spot and get settled in before the race started.

I'm quite keen to go next year after missing this year but it's stuff like this that makes me have second thoughts.
Old 22 Feb 2015, 02:24 (Ref:3507540)   #61
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Anything but this.

Pretty much totally agree with this.

Regarding pulling down the marques, don't agree with this. If you've made the effort to get up there early and paid for the full weekend, there should be some benefit for this. Also imagine the shitfight Sunday morning if everyone had to rush to try and get the best spot and setup there margues etc before race start. Wouldn't be a pretty sight lol.

I was up the top Sunday afternoon only for a couple of hours with my son, we pretty much walked from Reid Park all the way down to Forests and back, and the marques weren't really a big issue. No we couldn't get to the fence at Skyline but this was pretty much the only section. I wouldn't like to see the marques right up against the fence anywhere else though. At Skyline you could still easily see the track over the top as you're walking along. Everywhere else they should be (and mostly were) on the top of the ridge.
Old 22 Feb 2015, 03:16 (Ref:3507552)   #62
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane001 View Post
Pretty much totally agree with this.

Regarding pulling down the marques, don't agree with this. If you've made the effort to get up there early and paid for the full weekend, there should be some benefit for this. Also imagine the shitfight Sunday morning if everyone had to rush to try and get the best spot and setup there margues etc before race start. Wouldn't be a pretty sight lol.

I was up the top Sunday afternoon only for a couple of hours with my son, we pretty much walked from Reid Park all the way down to Forests and back, and the marques weren't really a big issue. No we couldn't get to the fence at Skyline but this was pretty much the only section. I wouldn't like to see the marques right up against the fence anywhere else though. At Skyline you could still easily see the track over the top as you're walking along. Everywhere else they should be (and mostly were) on the top of the ridge.
I had my marquee set up from 7.00 on Friday morning until the last lap on Sunday, however it was on the ridge between Reid Park and McP so it wasn't on the fence line and it was in the open and not taking up a valuable shaded area.
Does my memory serve me correctly in remembering that last year there were two lanes that were set up for cars to get up top at the check point, where as this year there was only 1 ?
Old 22 Feb 2015, 04:34 (Ref:3507570)   #63
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What people put up marquees at the 12 hour. how rude

Would never happen at the 1000km race. Much more sophisticated and caring of other supporters

Will leave marquees for the self important bogans at the 12 hour race to do

Last edited by peckstar; 22 Feb 2015 at 04:44.
Old 22 Feb 2015, 04:41 (Ref:3507571)   #64
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Opening up camping at the top would also see a hefty rise in camping costs as a whole, and probably a rise in ticket prices too.
Old 22 Feb 2015, 10:03 (Ref:3507621)   #65
Rookie

1961 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Only 349 days to go!!!
My prediction is that Class D will disappear. The Daytona Coupe and the 42 BMW will be allowed into the invitation class. Production cars to have their own race, maybe a 3 hr either on the Saturday afternoon or at the Easter festival.
Improved Prods and FFords were great, maybe the Production car race could replace the Radicals which haven't really gathered my attention either year.
Class racing must stay at this race.
GT3-only Spa showed us why the V8 Supercar Bathurst 1000-style one-class racing is not the way to go.
And we got to the top of mountain about 8am and found room on the fence at Skyline so I have no problem with people putting up their tents the night before.
Old 22 Feb 2015, 22:59 (Ref:3507839)   #66
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be staying at home if they decide to allow camping at the top of the mountain.

We left the paddock at 5am on Sunday morning and only got to McPhillamy about 10 minutes to the race start.
Old 22 Feb 2015, 23:56 (Ref:3507858)   #67
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR View Post
I'll be staying at home if they decide to allow camping at the top of the mountain.

We left the paddock at 5am on Sunday morning and only got to McPhillamy about 10 minutes to the race start.
yeah think ill be doing the same...like many have said it will only entice the bogan kind to come
Old 23 Feb 2015, 00:04 (Ref:3507862)   #68
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
I dont get how opening camping at the top will enourage a certain type of people, there is already camping down the bottom, whats going to change?

and those people are already fencing off big areas for themselves?

if its bogans that fence areas off then the bogans are already there and by their own admission they are on this forum
Old 23 Feb 2015, 00:12 (Ref:3507866)   #69
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
For me, it'll be the end of the freedoms we currently enjoy up there. That may come anyway as a result of the increase in popularity, but at a slower rate than if they open it up to camping.

Nothing to do with bogans.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 00:39 (Ref:3507876)   #70
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
For me, it'll be the end of the freedoms we currently enjoy up there. That may come anyway as a result of the increase in popularity, but at a slower rate than if they open it up to camping.
Its an interesting predicament. Do we want the event to grow and thus attract better quality fields but bigger crowds and as a result of a reduction in access at the track

Or do we want to have lots of access but will mean the event stagnates and the field diminishes in quality
Old 23 Feb 2015, 00:42 (Ref:3507878)   #71
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
One change i want to see for next year for the tv package is i want them to fix how long it takes to scroll through the positions on the track.

Was watching NASCAR this morning (live on Fox but with ad breaks) and they were scrolling through the field in groups of 8, although sometimes they kept the top 4 and the next row of four was scrolling of positions 4 at a time.

Much better idea for large fields
Old 23 Feb 2015, 00:54 (Ref:3507881)   #72
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Its an interesting predicament. Do we want the event to grow and thus attract better quality fields but bigger crowds and as a result of a reduction in access at the track

Or do we want to have lots of access but will mean the event stagnates and the field diminishes in quality
Personally I think they've already hit the sweet spot. A full grid, some world class teams, cars and drivers, and a crowd size that has a good atmosphere but still allows the freedoms to move around and get decent access to the pits and spectating areas.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 00:56 (Ref:3507882)   #73
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Personally I think they've already hit the sweet spot. A full grid, some world class teams, cars and drivers, and a crowd size that has a good atmosphere but still allows the freedoms to move around and get decent access to the pits and spectating areas.
But its not going to stay at that level. Its going to change.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 01:27 (Ref:3507893)   #74
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
And when those changes mean I can't enjoy the event, I will stay at home and enjoy it from the comfort of my lounge.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 09:26 (Ref:3507978)   #75
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Remember that next years race will, at this stage, only allow 2014 models to participate, NOT 2015 cars... So, the new Mercedes, the new Ferrari 488, AC Cobra etc if it happens etc, will NOT be there.

The 2014 Ferrari looks exactly the same as 2013, it just has interior detail changes, switchgear and accessories etc.

2017 will be the first time we see a 488 in B12.