Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Jul 2017, 13:58 (Ref:3753339)   #76
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It wouldnt surprise me at all if Alan Gow was actually very nervous about a UK TCR championship. Whilst the TCR organisers I dare say have no open desire to compete with the BTCC, I dare say its on their agenda, not that they would admit it of course.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 14:39 (Ref:3753347)   #77
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the btcc is nearly 60 years old, each year has millions in the uk watching on TV with a big ITV deal, hundreds of thousands a year attending the races and full grids, so i bet he doesnt care a thing about tcr. lol.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 14:55 (Ref:3753348)   #78
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
the btcc is nearly 60 years old, each year has millions in the uk watching on TV with a big ITV deal, hundreds of thousands a year attending the races and full grids, so i bet he doesnt care a thing about tcr. lol.
Does the average person watch a particular motorsport for the teams/cars or do they watch because they like a particular driver?

TCR might not be a threat at the moment but as more and more drivers struggle to get a BTCC budget who knows what might happen.

I'd be very, very surprised if he's as dismissive of TCR as you seem to think.

I'd dispute the figures of millions watching as well unless you're counting the same people over and over for each race. I know in the media package they quote millions but it's an odd way they get to that figure if you look at the notes. To me it's more like 300k watching which is still a cracking figure.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 15:07 (Ref:3753351)   #79
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Does the average person watch a particular motorsport for the teams/cars or do they watch because they like a particular driver?

TCR might not be a threat at the moment but as more and more drivers struggle to get a BTCC budget who knows what might happen.

I'd be very, very surprised if he's as dismissive of TCR as you seem to think.

I'd dispute the figures of millions watching as well unless you're counting the same people over and over for each race. I know in the media package they quote millions but it's an odd way they get to that figure if you look at the notes. To me it's more like 300k watching which is still a cracking figure.
fact is that nobody watches any other national (four wheel) racing series in any numbers in the uk other than btcc. doesnt matter what it is and doesnt matter what car it is. many series have come and go to try and get a big folllowing and theyve all failed big time. its like australia. nobody watches anything than the supercars series because they are the big established series with big tv and spectator numbers.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 15:24 (Ref:3753357)   #80
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
It wouldnt surprise me at all if Alan Gow was actually very nervous about a UK TCR championship. Whilst the TCR organisers I dare say have no open desire to compete with the BTCC, I dare say its on their agenda, not that they would admit it of course.
Unless you have manufacturer support (and the associated kudos and credibility) like Renault do or SEAT has done, it is very difficult to get a new championship off the ground, let alone established.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 09:50 (Ref:3753495)   #81
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
BTCC went downhill in 00-01, yet plenty stayed loyal and bringing back Gow was the right thing to do. I don't know how I could cope without it, been around longer than other series
Old 22 Jul 2017, 15:22 (Ref:3753537)   #82
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
BTCC went downhill in 00-01, yet plenty stayed loyal and bringing back Gow was the right thing to do. I don't know how I could cope without it, been around longer than other series
it started downhill starting with 99 actually but that applied to nearly every super tourer championship

the only exception was the swedish STCC who continued to have big grids and manufacturer support
Old 24 Jul 2017, 08:39 (Ref:3753901)   #83
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Yep, 1999 was a weak year, and the less said about 2000 the better.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3753975)   #84
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
1999 grids were ok, it was when they had to add in the production class in 2000 to boost numbers when things went bad. Shame, but it just got too costly for everyone.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3753995)   #85
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
First bulletin from TCR UK went out this week. All races will be live streamed, although I had assumed that would be the case as it seems to be pretty standard for most TCR series.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 19:34 (Ref:3754045)   #86
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Let 'em race at like, Castle Combe and Cadwell.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 06:57 (Ref:3754170)   #87
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Let 'em race at like, Castle Combe and Cadwell.
Knockhill please! We don't get enough series up here. I'd love to see some GT3 and GT4.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 07:34 (Ref:3754176)   #88
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
My prediction for the schedule:
Oulton Park
Rockingham
Snetterton 300
Silverstone GP
Donington Park GP
Brands Hatch GP
Old 25 Jul 2017, 13:58 (Ref:3754257)   #89
BMWM3DTM
Rookie

BMWM3DTM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd certainly make the effort to visit a TCR UK race if it went to a circuit not on the BTCC Calendar. Anglesey and Pembrey were on the BTEC calendar, perhaps they'd be suitable... Cadwell would be nice, and I might even be persuaded into a trip to Mondello!
Old 25 Jul 2017, 16:24 (Ref:3754288)   #90
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I'd go see a race. The last non-BTCC "big touring car" event I went to was Superstars V8 at Donington back in maybe 2013-4.

I enjoyed the DTM at Donington too back in around 2003 or 2004, shame that it vanished and went to Brands Hatch.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 16:38 (Ref:3754293)   #91
BMWM3DTM
Rookie

BMWM3DTM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'd go see a race. The last non-BTCC "big touring car" event I went to was Superstars V8 at Donington back in maybe 2013-4.

I enjoyed the DTM at Donington too back in around 2003 or 2004, shame that it vanished and went to Brands Hatch.
It's a shame they only did the Indy loop at Brands. I went in 2013 and it was a great day though. I also went to see the V8 SuperStars, and the WTCC at Donnington in the earlier 2010's... much as I love the BTCC, it's a shame we don't see so many other series' here anymore.

The TCR cars in the TCES 24hr race at Silverstone don't impress me that much, but then I think it's a terrible venue for touring cars anyway.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 17:10 (Ref:3754301)   #92
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
They were May 2012 and August 2013, and very good events they were too!
Old 27 Jul 2017, 07:27 (Ref:3754618)   #93
S griffin
Veteran

Shame the WTCC stopped coming over here too
Old 27 Jul 2017, 07:52 (Ref:3754627)   #94
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Shame the WTCC stopped coming over here too
Yeah, the WTCC/FIA GT1 events at Donington used to be great! Along with the DTM and ELM's. and al just a couple of hours down the road. Seems now that all the international stuff only ever gets as far north as Silverstone (yawn).

As great as the BTCC is, it's nice to have some variety in the year (its a shame the whole BTEC thing fell on it's face as that would have been a good tin-topped alternative).

If TCR Uk is to suceed, it needs to pull in a big grid. anything less than 20 or so cars is going to seem pretty weak and I can imagine they'll get strung out quite a bit on a longer circuit.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3754749)   #95
JoshFiles
Rookie

JoshFiles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClarrpz View Post
Trust me I have accurate data. If you want exact numbers TCR is roughly 2.9% slower (last season at least). So far this season TCR is 3.7% slower but at the moment that's very inaccurate
Could i ask where you get these figures from?

There were a number of BTCC cars and a couple of TCR cars at a private test in spain pre season this year. 4 top BTCC teams were there, and 1 TCR team. Of the 5 days test, in the end a TCR car posted the quickest lap time by 0.2s over the fastest BTCC car on the soft compound dunlop. So I would say the TCR cars are every bit as fast as the lighter (1280kg with most TCR cars are over 1300kg (HONDA is 1315kg)) and more powerful (TCR 350hp btcc 380hp) btcc cars.

Maybe I am biased as I race them, but having driven cars of both formulae I also prefer the way a TCR performs.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 15:56 (Ref:3754750)   #96
JoshFiles
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
As a spectator, trackside, the extra noise of the BTCC vs the quiet TCR cars (where the brake squeal is the loudest sound) makes a big difference to the spectacle.
TCR cars in the UK run quiet exhaust systems to meet noise regs.

In Europe they are 118db. Trust me you hear them!
Old 27 Jul 2017, 15:57 (Ref:3754751)   #97
JoshFiles
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Welcome on Ten Tenths.
Are you considering TCR UK for next season?
Thank you! Never say never.........
Old 27 Jul 2017, 16:45 (Ref:3754773)   #98
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshFiles View Post
TCR cars in the UK run quiet exhaust systems to meet noise regs.

In Europe they are 118db. Trust me you hear them!
Good lord.

We had a few of the RS3 cars in competition over here for Pirelli World Challenge, and they didn't seem that loud.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3754792)   #99
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshFiles View Post
Could i ask where you get these figures from?

There were a number of BTCC cars and a couple of TCR cars at a private test in spain pre season this year. 4 top BTCC teams were there, and 1 TCR team. Of the 5 days test, in the end a TCR car posted the quickest lap time by 0.2s over the fastest BTCC car on the soft compound dunlop. So I would say the TCR cars are every bit as fast as the lighter (1280kg with most TCR cars are over 1300kg (HONDA is 1315kg)) and more powerful (TCR 350hp btcc 380hp) btcc cars.

Maybe I am biased as I race them, but having driven cars of both formulae I also prefer the way a TCR performs.
Last few seasons I've collected about 40 different championships (41 this year) speeds and lap times. I've worked out each series' relative speed to F1 that year using about 500+ data points. I can create a google docs and give you the link if you want to see it. I don't have the raw data from the past 2 seasons but I do have their percentage difference to F1. I use poles and fastest laps. I know that driver speeds and track conditions can vary a lot but it's the best I can do.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 18:26 (Ref:3754810)   #100
JoshFiles
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Good lord.

We had a few of the RS3 cars in competition over here for Pirelli World Challenge, and they didn't seem that loud.
The RS3 in pirelli world challenge have to run the DSG gearbox to compete within those regs.

Once you add the sequential with blip, it sounds just like a BTCC car. The Honda I believe is also the loudest as well. The Seats and Golfs are also louder than the Audi due to their exhaust system (twin as oppose to single)