Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Jul 2017, 09:44 (Ref:3753491)   #26
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Thing is with Plato is that he's never finished outside the top ten in the championship, so therefore it's probably a bit of a shock for all that midway through the season he's only 16th(?) with just one podium, and no wins. We've never had this situation before
Old 22 Jul 2017, 15:19 (Ref:3753536)   #27
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Thing is with Plato is that he's never finished outside the top ten in the championship, so therefore it's probably a bit of a shock for all that midway through the season he's only 16th(?) with just one podium, and no wins. We've never had this situation before
Until last year he'd never finished outside the top five.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 22:59 (Ref:3753652)   #28
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Plato's results going downhill, one thing comes to my mind - isn't it the right moment for Jason to call time on his BTCC career? He's almost 50, has achieved a huge success in the series and I start doubting whether he will be capable of returning to winning ways.
You can say what you want, he's indeed a controversial racer but is undoubtedly one of the legends of BTCC and I bet it would be a good moment to farewell racing career now than after another one, two or three disappointing seasons.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 08:09 (Ref:3753698)   #29
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I have no doubt whatsoever that he would be on the podium every race with a car that he had confidence in. Whatever the reasons for that lack of confidence I don't think he's suddenly become a worse drive than the majority of the grid.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 09:20 (Ref:3753709)   #30
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
But he's not the only great driver on the grid, he's not the be all and end all and while he has added to the series on occasion, it's not just as simple as he needs a good car, the competition is a lot higher this season
Old 23 Jul 2017, 21:47 (Ref:3753829)   #31
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I think that it's the combination of both things. Of course, his car and his feeling in the car leave a lot to be desired, with better car he would be able to fight for podiums and even victories. But on the other hand I believe that he's not as competitive as, say, 2-3 years ago. With 'better car' he would probably be as high as top 6-8 of the championship.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 07:43 (Ref:3753887)   #32
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
As drivers get older, they always lose a few tenths I am not particularly directing this at JP, but it's just a fact. They lose that last half a second and also the consistency to deliver it over a season.

This is not a criticism, just AD coupled with the increased responsibilities that come with age whereas the exuberance, pure confidence and lack of fear from young drivers is marks them out. I will lave the words on this to Dindo Capello on retiring from LMP1 at Le Mans at 48 years of age.

"Sometimes age is age - you cannot change it. When you fight for tenths of a second, everything should be perfect, and if this is my last Le Mans, one of the reasons is age. It would be nice to be perfect until you are 70 or so - unfortunately it doesn't work like that."
Old 24 Jul 2017, 08:46 (Ref:3753905)   #33
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JP will win at Knockhill and we'll all call it a revival.

If he ever (when) retires from racing, I still hope he and his marketing team perhaps run a team or help to secure deals for other teams and drivers, as over the years that has been a huge asset to the BTCC.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 09:48 (Ref:3753912)   #34
Matt K
Veteran

That's what I feel - after retiring, JP should stay involved in BTCC, having a managerial role in some team or something like that
Old 24 Jul 2017, 13:42 (Ref:3753945)   #35
thesmackdown
Rookie

thesmackdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not the same calls for Matt Neal to retire? He is older.

Just because JP is in a slump, doesn't mean he is over the hill.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 14:26 (Ref:3753955)   #36
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
I agree here. Last years poor by JP standards was simply due to not having a competitive car until Oulton.

This year I think the same; the difference being last year all the Subarus were uncompetitive to start (not knowing how to get the best out of them) whereas thus year the car was wrecked on the first weekend. With no budget to right it.

I think JP and Matt have good years left in them...
Old 24 Jul 2017, 14:27 (Ref:3753956)   #37
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmackdown View Post
Why not the same calls for Matt Neal to retire? He is older.
Because Neal is still getting the results that suit his position in a team that are working in a united effort to try and win teams and drivers titles?

Plato can only see results from his own individual perspective and is not interested in seeing a teammate take any honours?
Old 24 Jul 2017, 15:55 (Ref:3753977)   #38
AdrianM
Racer

Quote:
“Ash is really very, very, very tasty. He’s got a brilliant career ahead of him. He’s got natural ability and he’s a racer, he’s fast and he’s a nice lad,” said Plato, who aims to use the mid-season break to once and for all sort out his own car.

“He could possibly win it this year and I will do everything I can to help him achieve that. He’s a real star of the future. He’s found his sweet spot and he’s enjoying it and driving brilliantly. Everything’s rolling for him at the moment, it’s just a shame I’m in a bit of a pickle because I want to be up there with him.

“He’s got his car really sorted. He’s at one with it, making little tiny changes and we are not in that place because we can’t get the car working.”
Yep, really sounds like someone who is only interested himself and not his team mate.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3753982)   #39
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Yep, really sounds like someone who is only interested himself and not his team mate.
It's just lucky that whoever wrote that has clear enough handwriting for JP to read it!
Old 24 Jul 2017, 16:36 (Ref:3753985)   #40
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
Not sure, that's a big question mark. I suspect the car was a write-off, but perhaps they are able to build-up another from a space chassis or something?

Either way, testing with Rory Butcher suggests to me that he may get some race mileage too.
It certainly was, we cut the side out of it to extricate Luke!
Old 24 Jul 2017, 16:50 (Ref:3753990)   #41
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
It's just lucky that whoever wrote that has clear enough handwriting for JP to read it!
It's a good job he managed to throw in a few comments about himself at the end of sentences! Otherwise you'd have been fooled into thinking it wasn't all about JP for a change.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3754049)   #42
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Taking nothing away from Ash, he raced at the sharp end of the grid. Everybody’s got relatively good corner speed and there’s a rhythm and a momentum to the race. If you’re near the back it all stops in the corners and our performance is all in the corners.

“He drove a great race one and then had the benefit of that better grid position and the softer tyres. But unless we fix our power, then it’s possible Ash will have a weekend like mine.”

There's a difference between sounding interested in your teammates success for the sake of positive column inches, and genuinely believing it and showing it on the track. Ask AT-S or Turks how much he works as a teammate.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 20:26 (Ref:3754073)   #43
AdrianM
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
There's a difference between sounding interested in your teammates success for the sake of positive column inches, and genuinely believing it and showing it on the track. Ask AT-S or Turks how much he works as a teammate.
Don't think AT-S is an example of how a team mate should behave.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 00:08 (Ref:3754119)   #44
thesmackdown
Rookie

Quote:
Because Neal is still getting the results that suit his position in a team that are working in a united effort to try and win teams and drivers titles?
That is exactly my point, it has nothing to do with age and likely everything to do with the car.

It might just be that JP can't adjust to RWD.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 05:43 (Ref:3754161)   #45
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Don't think AT-S is an example of how a team mate should behave.
Maybe not, but something led him to feel he had to provide no support to Plato?
Old 25 Jul 2017, 05:49 (Ref:3754162)   #46
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmackdown View Post
That is exactly my point, it has nothing to do with age and likely everything to do with the car.

It might just be that JP can't adjust to RWD.
It might just be that people's perceptions of Plato's attitude, coupled with his current results, are also leading to the calls for him to depart?
Old 25 Jul 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3754186)   #47
S griffin
Veteran

I think people are more trying to prove the point that the racing hasn't suffered by him not being at the front
Old 25 Jul 2017, 12:43 (Ref:3754228)   #48
thesmackdown
Rookie

Quote:
It might just be that people's perceptions of Plato's attitude, coupled with his current results, are also leading to the calls for him to depart?
I get that, but I still think he and Matt Neal are important to the series. I know JP is a binary character - you love him or hate him. I think he still has a championship title in him. I think Neal could also, although I am not a fan of his for similar reasons that were mentioned about Plato.

Great drivers have some ego problems that's what gives them the fire to be the best.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 13:13 (Ref:3754243)   #49
S griffin
Veteran

Yes, but with Plato it got so boring after a while, he became like Jose Mourinho, always had to make up some ridiculous excuses after a while
Old 25 Jul 2017, 18:33 (Ref:3754338)   #50
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Mark0994 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Luke Davenport’s Ford Focus was written off in the accident at Croft that has ruled him out for the remainder of the season, with the team now working to build up a new car that is set to join the grid at Knockhill next month."
Will they still use old Focus, or will they built new car based on 2014 restyle?