Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 May 2017, 16:03 (Ref:3733636)   #1
pagey318
Rookie

pagey318 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rounds 10, 11, 12 - Oulton Park

Oulton Park this weekend...

What do we think will happen? Will the BMW dominate at what is normally kind to RWD? Will Subaru begin their fight back as we approach RWD friendly circuits? Will Tom Ingram continue his good form and mature drives to extend or maintain his title push? Will Honda be in the mix?!
Old 15 May 2017, 17:48 (Ref:3733647)   #2
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagey318 View Post
Oulton Park this weekend...

What do we think will happen? Will the BMW dominate at what is normally kind to RWD? Will Subaru begin their fight back as we approach RWD friendly circuits? Will Tom Ingram continue his good form and mature drives to extend or maintain his title push? Will Honda be in the mix?!
Mixed messages from Plato in the latest blog. We found a problem with the chassis - or it was a radical setup change that fixed the front end?

The car has a great CoG due to the boxer engine - or it was only a perceived advantage due to lack of ballast.
It still seems to me that they are unsure why Plato is off Sutton's place, and they want more boost from TOCA to compensate.

Will Honda go well, Neal hopes so with little ballast going into the weekend.

Who will take the most points, I wouldn't be surprised to see a BMW podium shutout in R2.
Old 15 May 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3733653)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Jordan needs to get his mojo back, he seemed to have lost it after a good season opener at Brands. Plato needs a good weekend too, can't make many more excuses and Motorbase need to have a clean weekend
Old 15 May 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3733654)   #4
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully the MGs will do better too, and another strong circuit for the VWs which dissapointed at Thruxton. It would be great to see Mat Jackson get a few top tens though I can't remember the Focus having strong form at Oulton compared to other teams.
Old 15 May 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3733658)   #5
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there another question that needs answering, will we safety get past this round without a visit from the red flag? we seen 4 of them this year plus will the weather play a part
Old 15 May 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3733666)   #6
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Hopefully the MGs will do better too, and another strong circuit for the VWs which dissapointed at Thruxton. It would be great to see Mat Jackson get a few top tens though I can't remember the Focus having strong form at Oulton compared to other teams.
If 888 or Motorbase have another poor weekend, you wonder where they go next. Both teams should be putting in podium results.
Old 15 May 2017, 19:49 (Ref:3733687)   #7
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First time visit to Oulton Park this weekend for me, some free tickets helping make up my mind to travel. Heading down from Newcastle and in two minds whether or not to drive down on the Saturday and camp at the track or just drive down on Sunday morning. What's it like for traffic etc on race day? I'm guessing busy as I think it's the busiest weekend of the year BTCC wise. Also looking at Google maps it looks like there are 3 separate entrances to the circuit, any tips on which one is best for a quick exit? Really looking forward to it, haven't been down since 1996! Sorry if this has been asked before, have tried to look through other threads but couldn't find much info.
Old 15 May 2017, 22:46 (Ref:3733708)   #8
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
First time visit to Oulton Park this weekend for me, some free tickets helping make up my mind to travel. Heading down from Newcastle and in two minds whether or not to drive down on the Saturday and camp at the track or just drive down on Sunday morning. What's it like for traffic etc on race day? I'm guessing busy as I think it's the busiest weekend of the year BTCC wise. Also looking at Google maps it looks like there are 3 separate entrances to the circuit, any tips on which one is best for a quick exit? Really looking forward to it, haven't been down since 1996! Sorry if this has been asked before, have tried to look through other threads but couldn't find much info.
Traffic will be very bad in the morning, it's quite rural and the roads aren't the best access wise. Also it tends to draw huge crowds which exacerbate the problem. I wouldn't worry about exit/entry choice, you likely won't get one as there tends to be police/stewards directing people on race day.
Old 16 May 2017, 07:13 (Ref:3733757)   #9
5five
Rookie

5five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC Race 3 is before the last race of the day at Oulton. Last year, if you parked on the infield part of the track via the main entrance, we were stuck in a queue you couldn't get out until all the racing of the day had finished, as cars were being directed out via the track.
Old 16 May 2017, 07:22 (Ref:3733760)   #10
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Mixed messages from Plato in the latest blog. We found a problem with the chassis - or it was a radical setup change that fixed the front end?

The car has a great CoG due to the boxer engine - or it was only a perceived advantage due to lack of ballast.
It still seems to me that they are unsure why Plato is off Sutton's place, and they want more boost from TOCA to compensate.

Will Honda go well, Neal hopes so with little ballast going into the weekend.

Who will take the most points, I wouldn't be surprised to see a BMW podium shutout in R2.
A very interesting read indeed.

"We found a problem at Thruxton with the chassis which was a carry over from the shunt at Brands Hatch. It’s a big problem but a very small thing to find. I now know why there’s a 0.5 second gap between me and Ash."

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/blog/20...ru-riddle.html
Old 16 May 2017, 07:50 (Ref:3733766)   #11
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
A very interesting read indeed.

"We found a problem at Thruxton with the chassis which was a carry over from the shunt at Brands Hatch. It’s a big problem but a very small thing to find. I now know why there’s a 0.5 second gap between me and Ash."

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/blog/20...ru-riddle.html
Would that problem with the chassis be the Jason Plato shaped bit in the driver's seat?

That said, it can't be as Price and Cole's chassis dont have the same part fitted

But in all seriousness, If Plato is playing some sort of long game, he's leaving it too late into the series to claw his way back unless the Subaru dominates again like it did last year. If we have a post-Thruxton repeat of 2016 then I'm sure TOCA would step in sooner to level things out again (though they do like having Plato in with a shout of the title going into Brands so who knows!).
Old 16 May 2017, 08:10 (Ref:3733775)   #12
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think he's playing a game, because otherwise Sutton is ruining it.

However it's pretty easy to poke holes in that blog post. They claim the CoG adjustment ruined their car, but then he says they were fastest through S1, which is where the CoG would hurt the most. Also says that Sutton was gaining round the bends too. So this CoG clearly didn't hurt the car as much as claimed, since it still handles fine. And are all cars meant to be equal? Or have different strengths and weaknesses? Because the Subaru appears to have most of its strength in the corners. What exactly is the problem with that?

It's also not that terrible in a straight line to get a decent position at Thruxton.

All just smoke and mirrors, but the mirror is broken and the wind is blowing the smoke away. The car isn't that bad, the CoG didn't kill it, the straight line speed is not a game changer. It appears they did have a problem with the chassis, so we'll see if that makes a difference at Oulton. Realistically, he should be up with Sutton.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 16 May 2017 at 08:24.
Old 16 May 2017, 08:30 (Ref:3733779)   #13
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Well, I admit that I've never been a Plato fan (I always think it's a good idea to get your 'understatement of the day' out of the way early), but I do admire the sense in the idea of using time in the races for testing. (Of course, it could have been his engineer that suggested it). Where he was at Thruxton there was no chance of salvaging any kind of result, so at least they made use of being there...
Old 16 May 2017, 08:39 (Ref:3733781)   #14
Urinal2001
Rookie

Chile
Urinal2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
Oulton is one of the best campsites in the BTCC calender imo. I can recommend staying over on that basis.
Old 16 May 2017, 09:58 (Ref:3733809)   #15
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
Would that problem with the chassis be the Jason Plato shaped bit in the driver's seat?

That said, it can't be as Price and Cole's chassis dont have the same part fitted
It would be interesting to hear his explanation for why Price and Cole are performing to about the same level if their chassis' are fine?

If his car is off the pace due to a chassis fault (that can be fixed with a radical set-up) - then how much better could Sutton go with the same radical set-up, when Scott said the car is already 'handling extremely well but the straight line speed deficit is certainly curtailing the efforts from our drivers'?

Perhaps the argument for a CoG amendment is no longer relevant and the car is now on a par with others for weight distribution?
Old 16 May 2017, 10:36 (Ref:3733819)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Weather looks very "mixed" for the whole UK over the week and into the weekend...

Could be another cool and wet one at Oulton.
Old 16 May 2017, 11:33 (Ref:3733831)   #17
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cole was nowhere near Plato and Turkington for most of last season so that's comparing apples and pears. Plato hasn't suddenly gone from being one of the best drivers in BTCC to an also ran in the off season.

They're saying the CoG ruined the car as it was and they're still working out how to set it up from there.

The straight line speed deficit is real and was obvious from the Thruxton onboards and the speed trap. In a series like the BTCC it shouldn't be possible for the car in front to pull a gap on the car behind in a straight line.

It's going to be really interesting to see what happens at Oulton. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Plato and Sutton qualifying in the top 6.
Old 16 May 2017, 12:08 (Ref:3733839)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Cole was nowhere near Plato and Turkington for most of last season so that's comparing apples and pears. Plato hasn't suddenly gone from being one of the best drivers in BTCC to an also ran in the off season.

They're saying the CoG ruined the car as it was and they're still working out how to set it up from there.
If Cole was a second a lap slower than Plato last year, and the CoG has been changed for both cars, then shouldn't Cole still be a second a lap slower?
Old 16 May 2017, 12:13 (Ref:3733842)   #19
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
If Cole was a second a lap slower than Plato last year, and the CoG has been changed for both cars, then shouldn't Cole still be a second a lap slower?
Exactly.
Old 16 May 2017, 12:50 (Ref:3733848)   #20
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I don't think he's playing a game, because otherwise Sutton is ruining it.
Perhaps Sutton, is going against 'team orders' and racing his heart out, because that's what he's paying to do! I know if I was paying for a seat I'd want to get my moneys worth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It would be interesting to hear his explanation for why Price and Cole are performing to about the same level if their chassis' are fine?

If his car is off the pace due to a chassis fault (that can be fixed with a radical set-up) - then how much better could Sutton go with the same radical set-up, when Scott said the car is already 'handling extremely well but the straight line speed deficit is certainly curtailing the efforts from our drivers'?

Perhaps the argument for a CoG amendment is no longer relevant and the car is now on a par with others for weight distribution?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Exactly, though we're not allowing for the scenario that Jason is still at the same level as last year and Cole has improved by a second this year.
Old 16 May 2017, 13:14 (Ref:3733854)   #21
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Well, I admit that I've never been a Plato fan (I always think it's a good idea to get your 'understatement of the day' out of the way early), but I do admire the sense in the idea of using time in the races for testing. (Of course, it could have been his engineer that suggested it). Where he was at Thruxton there was no chance of salvaging any kind of result, so at least they made use of being there...
It would have made even more sense to run your tests on the actual test days at Thruxton......
Old 16 May 2017, 13:56 (Ref:3733862)   #22
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It is still a mystery why they didn't test at Thruxton, considering they didn't race there last season
Old 16 May 2017, 14:11 (Ref:3733870)   #23
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the series has demonstrated it could thrive without them so if they dissapear from the grid no big loss
Old 16 May 2017, 14:13 (Ref:3733871)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
the series has demonstrated it could thrive without them so if they dissapear from the grid no big loss

Exactly. When the racing is as good as it always, you don't tend to notice who's not there
Old 16 May 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3733876)   #25
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
It would have made even more sense to run your tests on the actual test days at Thruxton......
I agree, but they didn't, so at least the 'race day' wasn't a totally wasted exercise.