Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 May 2017, 16:10 (Ref:3733885)   #26
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
'We may be able to get a small amount of extra performance by pushing the engine to its limits' - so currently not running at full potential?
Old 16 May 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3733905)   #27
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
Exactly, though we're not allowing for the scenario that Jason is still at the same level as last year and Cole has improved by a second this year.
Or maybe - Plato is down by 0.5s (the gap he admits he has to Sutton), and Cole is up 0.5s?

Whatever the situation, I get the impression that they still don't fully understand the pace differential. They're obviously in a tricky situation because they have to be positive about the car, and their chances of improving.
They are about to hit the RWD preferred tracks, and must see podiums as essential.
On the other hand, PMR now have a period of grace to continue development, before they should have strong showing late season.
TD, WSR and Speedworks will be hoping to consolidate their positions at the top, before everyone starts taking points from each other late on.
Old 16 May 2017, 18:20 (Ref:3733908)   #28
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh2uiwX19AU
Podium Prediction from Paul O'Neill
Old 16 May 2017, 21:56 (Ref:3733947)   #29
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It would be interesting to hear his explanation for why Price and Cole are performing to about the same level if their chassis' are fine?

If his car is off the pace due to a chassis fault (that can be fixed with a radical set-up) - then how much better could Sutton go with the same radical set-up, when Scott said the car is already 'handling extremely well but the straight line speed deficit is certainly curtailing the efforts from our drivers'?

Perhaps the argument for a CoG amendment is no longer relevant and the car is now on a par with others for weight distribution?
Because Cole has always been at the back and Price was average at best in Clios?
Old 16 May 2017, 22:47 (Ref:3733953)   #30
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
Because Cole has always been at the back
OBJECTION

Cole was at 2015 Silverstone on route for a podium with the Motorbase Focus but was rammed out of the way by a certain JP as a result he never ever came closer to a podium

I rest my case
Old 17 May 2017, 07:19 (Ref:3734000)   #31
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
If Cole was a second a lap slower than Plato last year, and the CoG has been changed for both cars, then shouldn't Cole still be a second a lap slower?
Only if you assume that Plato is lying about there being something wrong with his car after the crash at Brands.

He was the fastest of all the Subarus at Brands and half a second faster than Cole on that small circuit.
Old 17 May 2017, 07:22 (Ref:3734001)   #32
AdrianM
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
the series has demonstrated it could thrive without them so if they dissapear from the grid no big loss
I wouldn't say that. There are a lot of people on social media saying that this season is a bit flat with Plato at the back.

As an Ingram/Turkington fan I should be really enjoying this season but so far I'm not impressed with it. Too many red flags and there just doesn't seem too be an edge to it.
Old 17 May 2017, 08:53 (Ref:3734018)   #33
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
I wouldn't say that. There are a lot of people on social media saying that this season is a bit flat with Plato at the back.
Depends on how you define 'a lot'.
Old 17 May 2017, 08:55 (Ref:3734019)   #34
thlbtcc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
Perhaps Sutton, is going against 'team orders' and racing his heart out, because that's what he's paying to do! I know if I was paying for a seat I'd want to get my moneys worth!
Is he paying though...
Old 17 May 2017, 08:56 (Ref:3734020)   #35
thlbtcc
Veteran

No moaning here, just stepping up to an extremely competitive field. Classy move, Jackson - http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/mat-...t-oulton-park/
Old 17 May 2017, 11:21 (Ref:3734048)   #36
pagey318
Rookie

pagey318 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Article currently on Autosport stating TOCA will be investigating the boost calculations on the Ford and Subaru after spotting an anomaly with how the power is used. Both engines are built by Mountune and only they suffer with it. They can make any changes up to 30 minutes before usage so will be monitored all weekend by sounds of it
Old 17 May 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3734051)   #37
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
If Cole was a second a lap slower than Plato last year, and the CoG has been changed for both cars, then shouldn't Cole still be a second a lap slower?
He still was about that if you look at best lap charts.
JP vs JC

R5 - 1:11.471 vs 1:12.353
R6 - 1:21.250 vs 1:22.189
R7 - 1:17.971 vs 1:18.549
R8 - 1:19.556 vs 1:19.529
R9 - 1:18.045 vs 1:18.483

After his 'big jump forward', and solving the Subaru riddle - he's moved from being nearly 1s a lap quicker than Cole to 0.5s quicker!

At the same time, his delta to Sutton at R6 was 0.1s and at R9 was 0.5s.
I don't buy that it was a problem carried over from Brands, which has now been solved, because the numbers don't reflect that. He was still off Sutton's pace in sector 2 - so perhaps he should turn the engine up a bit?
Old 17 May 2017, 11:36 (Ref:3734052)   #38
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
OBJECTION

Cole was at 2015 Silverstone on route for a podium with the Motorbase Focus but was rammed out of the way by a certain JP as a result he never ever came closer to a podium

I rest my case
Oh of course! That explains why he hasn't ever exceeded 19th in the drivers' championship- it all makes sense now- it's all Plato's fault for that fateful day at Silverstone! He must have seen it coming because somehow it affected his results before that day too!

You, my friend, are a genius! Well done.
Old 17 May 2017, 14:01 (Ref:3734069)   #39
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagey318 View Post
Article currently on Autosport stating TOCA will be investigating the boost calculations on the Ford and Subaru after spotting an anomaly with how the power is used. Both engines are built by Mountune and only they suffer with it. They can make any changes up to 30 minutes before usage so will be monitored all weekend by sounds of it
Impressive from both Sutton and Cook to be running as high as they did whislt down on power, then?

Sutton VS Turks for pole?
Old 17 May 2017, 15:09 (Ref:3734076)   #40
thlbtcc
Veteran

My money is a strong showing from both Sutton and Jordan, RWD and less weight.
Old 17 May 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3734088)   #41
pagey318
Rookie

pagey318 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
My money is a strong showing from both Sutton and Jordan, RWD and less weight.
Good shout that!
Old 17 May 2017, 19:17 (Ref:3734128)   #42
one_day
Rookie

one_day should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagey318 View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do the drivers adjust the boost? can they do it from inside the car?
Old 17 May 2017, 20:06 (Ref:3734132)   #43
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_day View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do the drivers adjust the boost? can they do it from inside the car?
As I understand it, all teams use the same Garrett/Owen turbo unit which has a manually adjusted pressure control regulator attached to the compressor housing. This is adjusted to a set pressure for each car, and the setting is checked under scrutineering.
There is no option for drivers to make a change from within the car.
Old 18 May 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3734266)   #44
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.touringcartimes.com/2017/...n-park-points/

Sounds promising. Looks hopeful that 888, BMR and Motorbase will all be quicker this weekend - could be even closer and more competitive at the front!

Will be interesting to see if Ingram can hang on as the leader, certainly very impressive so far, though I think Turks will take over at the top within the next two rounds
Old 18 May 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3734301)   #45
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well he did well at Donny, before first that collision with his team mate, then throwing it off in R3
Old 18 May 2017, 17:38 (Ref:3734307)   #46
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Depending on how they assess performance, Motorbase could do very well out of this weekend. The RWD friendly nature might mask problems with the Subaru, but leave the Ford exposed as down on delivery of power.
Old 19 May 2017, 07:25 (Ref:3734403)   #47
one_day
Rookie

one_day should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
As I understand it, all teams use the same Garrett/Owen turbo unit which has a manually adjusted pressure control regulator attached to the compressor housing. This is adjusted to a set pressure for each car, and the setting is checked under scrutineering.
There is no option for drivers to make a change from within the car.
I was having a quick look round the net and found a picture of the WSR BMW steering wheel, they appear to have a rotary switch numbered 1-2-3-4, it is labelled "Map" would they not be able to have different maps all with different boost levels?
Old 19 May 2017, 07:59 (Ref:3734409)   #48
AdrianM
Racer

Quote:
I was having a quick look round the net and found a picture of the WSR BMW steering wheel, they appear to have a rotary switch numbered 1-2-3-4, it is labelled "Map" would they not be able to have different maps all with different boost levels?
Maybe but they would still have to comply with the maximum boost levels that TOCA gave them. I would think the maps would be more to do with start up, running under safety car, throttle pedal percentages for wet tracks etc.
Old 19 May 2017, 08:21 (Ref:3734413)   #49
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
If it looks like the dial in the picture below, you can see that it is (probably) for the power steering maps.

Old 19 May 2017, 08:56 (Ref:3734420)   #50
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
This is the wheel from Jordan's car.

It's the power steering map dial - just in a different position.

And you can see the position of the Civic dial in this video:
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t5...42780231_n.mp4

Last edited by crmalcolm; 19 May 2017 at 09:10.