Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Jun 2017, 08:35 (Ref:3738969)   #1
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC 2017 - Rounds 13, 14, 15 - Croft

So, who will replace Lloyd?

What's Hunter Abbott doing this year? Might be a good choice if funding / clashes allow. Either that or Menu?

Another traditionally strong RWD circuit so could be Collard VS Turks VS Sutton this weekend!
Old 6 Jun 2017, 08:51 (Ref:3738973)   #2
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hunter Abbott is doing well in the Blancpain Asia GT and he's racing in VLN too

Mark Hynes two year ago...

"It's definitely something I want to [come] back to," Hynes added. "That car's not on the list at the minute but I definitely want to be back in the BTCC soon.

"To be honest, it will probably be 2016 but I don't know yet. I definitely want to be back, I really enjoyed the whole experience last year."

What he's doing these days?
Surely MG need a driver with a bit of budget...
Old 6 Jun 2017, 10:27 (Ref:3738980)   #3
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I shall be in attendance, and therefore Rob Collard will win. I've been at a stupidly high percentage of the rounds he's tasted victory at considering I only get to a couple of events a year.

Can't wait for it, been counting down the days in my diary for far too long!

Hopefully we get three clean races, without a red flag and hefty accident damage. Although if that happens I'll jump on a pig and fly back north.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 10:51 (Ref:3738986)   #4
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
I shall be in attendance, and therefore Rob Collard will win. I've been at a stupidly high percentage of the rounds he's tasted victory at considering I only get to a couple of events a year.

Can't wait for it, been counting down the days in my diary for far too long!

Hopefully we get three clean races, without a red flag and hefty accident damage. Although if that happens I'll jump on a pig and fly back north.
Have a great time, Croft is such a good venue to spectate at.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 11:12 (Ref:3738987)   #5
chrism15
Rookie

chrism15 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody know of places to camp nearby?
Old 6 Jun 2017, 12:16 (Ref:3738997)   #6
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read somewhere (can't recall where exactly unfortunetely) that probably MG will be left with one car at Croft.
It's a huge shame that Lloyd is left without a drive. It was not Lloyd who was struggling but MG on the whole is far from their past form. I think Lloyd could be fighting for very good results in a better machinery. It's sad to see him go but hopefully he'll return soon.

Wonder how Plato will go at Croft and did test in a Ash's car really make a difference.

Hopefully that will be a great weekend for Turkington as he needs good points now.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 12:40 (Ref:3738999)   #7
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
From Inside BTCC

Quote:
So it was a bit of a surprise to see Dan Lloyd departing Triple Eight - and the surprises aren't over yet... #BTCC
Be nice to see Tim Harvey back behind the wheel
Old 6 Jun 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3739008)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Reading between the lines a little, Lloyds' departure is not directly related to a sudden lack of funds (on his side) but lack of confidence in the team. Ian Harrison's departure last month feels like just part of a lot of back office politics, not just within 888 but within the entire BMR 'empire'.

I think it's enviable that 888 will lose a TBL. Any replacement driver will need to be in for the remainder of the season and I can't honestly see there being anyone with an available budget at such short notice, and one that is willing to step into a far from ideal situation.

This might be a bit of an off-the-wall left-field suggestion, but try this for size.

Josh Price gets moved sideways from BMR to 888, and BMR reduce down to 3 cars. As some of the funding comes from BMR Academy anyhow it's less of a hard sell to Price. On the face of it BMR take the hit and lose a TBL rather than 888, but as it's all under Warren Scott's ownership that's largely a moot point. Scott/BMR/888 have been overspending anyhow and would probably welcome the chance to downsize - wasn't there a suggestion from Scott before the start of the season that they might only run 3 Subarus this year anyhow. The side benefit is that it now means Plato can replace his damaged car with the undamaged one previously used by Price. The team don't have the budget to build Plato a new car, and no amount of set-up changes was ever going to fix a bend chassis, so getting Price's car puts Plato back in the game.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 13:48 (Ref:3739010)   #9
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Reading between the lines a little, Lloyds' departure is not directly related to a sudden lack of funds (on his side) but lack of confidence in the team. Ian Harrison's departure last month feels like just part of a lot of back office politics, not just within 888 but within the entire BMR 'empire'.

I think it's enviable that 888 will lose a TBL. Any replacement driver will need to be in for the remainder of the season and I can't honestly see there being anyone with an available budget at such short notice, and one that is willing to step into a far from ideal situation.

This might be a bit of an off-the-wall left-field suggestion, but try this for size.

Josh Price gets moved sideways from BMR to 888, and BMR reduce down to 3 cars. As some of the funding comes from BMR Academy anyhow it's less of a hard sell to Price. On the face of it BMR take the hit and lose a TBL rather than 888, but as it's all under Warren Scott's ownership that's largely a moot point. Scott/BMR/888 have been overspending anyhow and would probably welcome the chance to downsize - wasn't there a suggestion from Scott before the start of the season that they might only run 3 Subarus this year anyhow. The side benefit is that it now means Plato can replace his damaged car with the undamaged one previously used by Price. The team don't have the budget to build Plato a new car, and no amount of set-up changes was ever going to fix a bend chassis, so getting Price's car puts Plato back in the game.
A very good suggestion. Isn't Price's car the Turkington machine from last year too? Less damage and more successful than Plato's car!

I suspect Dan Lloyd wasn't best pleased about Harrison leaving and being replaced by his team mate's "best mate" among other issues. Strange that there's been no more news on the Harrison departure other than one story.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 14:39 (Ref:3739019)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I can see Menu in this car at such short notice for this weekend, before they find a full time replacement during the summer break
Old 6 Jun 2017, 14:40 (Ref:3739020)   #11
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
A very good suggestion. Isn't Price's car the Turkington machine from last year too? Less damage and more successful than Plato's car!

I suspect Dan Lloyd wasn't best pleased about Harrison leaving and being replaced by his team mate's "best mate" among other issues. Strange that there's been no more news on the Harrison departure other than one story.
This is all very interesting/intriguing. I'm beginning to think that the wheels are starting to come off the whole BMR/888 thing (hopefully not literally). After all the high profile hype & bruhahha last year it's been suspiciously quiet and low profile this year.
has Warren Scott finally realised that the best way to make a small fortune out of motorsport is to start off with a big fortune initially and therefore had a sudden loss of interest? I think there is more going on behind the scenes and strongly agree for all the reasons stated that moving a Subaru driver into the now vacant MG would serve a double purpose in instantly filling the MG vacancy, plus free up a theoretically undamaged Subaru so that Mr Plato can show us what a superstar driver he really is by winning every race from now on and taking the Championship!
Old 6 Jun 2017, 14:44 (Ref:3739021)   #12
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Whatever happened to Jack Clarke? Seems to crop up every silly season but haven't heard anything else about him since 2014 - wasn't he a development driver for Honda at some point or did I dream that?

If 888 or BMR did lose a TBL, would any other team take it and expand over the summer break like Eurotech last season?
Old 6 Jun 2017, 15:05 (Ref:3739023)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I can see Menu in this car at such short notice for this weekend, before they find a full time replacement during the summer break
Not sure that would be allowed. Teams are only allowed one change of driver per season. Only excpetion is if TOCA consider Lloyd standing down as force majeure, which I doubt they will.

Menu wouldn't have any sponsorship of his own, so it would need to be paid for by Scott. If not force majeure, then Menu would need to remain for the rest of the year, and don't see Scott wanting to commit to funding that.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 17:08 (Ref:3739042)   #14
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cook to MG
https://www.motorsport.com/btcc/news...f-2017-915003/
Old 6 Jun 2017, 17:13 (Ref:3739043)   #15
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
.......!
Old 6 Jun 2017, 17:15 (Ref:3739044)   #16
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
As much as I would love him to do well I think the Focus was the better choice - does that mean Lines is back at Maximum?
Old 6 Jun 2017, 17:22 (Ref:3739046)   #17
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Maybe Lloyd in the Ford?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 6 Jun 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3739048)   #18
ExplodeTheApex
Racer

United Kingdom
ExplodeTheApex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really like Cook but I really think that's the wrong decision - less competitive car, 888 seemingly self-destructing and a little bit of a kick in the teeth perhaps to Stewart Lines.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 17:34 (Ref:3739050)   #19
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Maybe Lloyd in the Ford?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
i was thinking the same...
Old 6 Jun 2017, 17:39 (Ref:3739051)   #20
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lost a tiny bit of respect for Josh tonight.
Lets hope hes not out of a job the end of the year no one will pick him up this time.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3739052)   #21
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good move by MG, very bad news indeed for Maximum.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 18:00 (Ref:3739058)   #22
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A mistake in my eyes, the Ford has been really competitive so far, even beating the Motorbase cars on several occasions. The MG isn't working consistently this year for whatever reason and now it's a bent wreck.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 18:02 (Ref:3739059)   #23
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
Curious move that. I'd need to know all the detail, but my initial thoughts are disappointment for Stewart and TPR/Maximum. They had given him a very competitive car, and he was battling very hard at the right end of the grid. Stewart's a great guy and so, if it's happened with his best wishes, then I wish Cook all the best. If he's been left high and dry, after rescuing Cook when he was out a drive then I'll be massively disappointed.

Car wise I'd far rather be in the Focus than the bent, old MG. In fact I'd rather be in the Focus than the non bent MG!

Wonder if the deal was less of a stretch financially for Cook? RCIB and MG presumably subsidise things a bit, and probably more than Stewart can. Just a thought.

Would be good to see Lloyd in the Focus now. That would suit him I reckon.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 18:55 (Ref:3739073)   #24
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Now I did not see that coming. I don't see much sense in it either:

For Cook - he's ran better in the Focus than the MG has run.

For 888 - he didn't get the seat as he didn't have the budget they wanted.

Maybe 888 are now desperate. Maybe Lloyd literally said bye bye in the last day or two. But even so, if you're Cook a car you can get a result in or a bent wreck that's toward the back of the pack?

Having said that, if Cookie pulls results out of the bag it will prove he really is a massive massive talent.

I hope that Stewart Lines hasn't been shafted.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 19:07 (Ref:3739077)   #25
redshoes
Veteran

Feels like a real backwards step for Cook. He was getting some good results in the Focus, even outscoring Motorbase, the team who original built the car.