Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Jun 2017, 19:29 (Ref:3739080)   #26
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
Curious move that. I'd need to know all the detail, but my initial thoughts are disappointment for Stewart and TPR/Maximum. They had given him a very competitive car, and he was battling very hard at the right end of the grid. Stewart's a great guy and so, if it's happened with his best wishes, then I wish Cook all the best. If he's been left high and dry, after rescuing Cook when he was out a drive then I'll be massively disappointed.

Car wise I'd far rather be in the Focus than the bent, old MG. In fact I'd rather be in the Focus than the non bent MG!

Wonder if the deal was less of a stretch financially for Cook? RCIB and MG presumably subsidise things a bit, and probably more than Stewart can. Just a thought.

Would be good to see Lloyd in the Focus now. That would suit him I reckon.
It seems like a very quick move for Cook, given that one of his personal sponsors only tweeted this yesterday:

https://twitter.com/OrionGas/status/871705203267035142

'Anyone fancies the action close up @Croft_Circuit 10th/11th Jun #BTCC @cooksport @DunlopBTCC #GOTeamGreen tickets: http://croftcircuit.co.uk/racing/btcc '
Old 6 Jun 2017, 19:42 (Ref:3739087)   #27
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There has to be an incentive - perhaps a foot in the door at BMR...

...no man has ever deliberately jeopardised himself, unless he is a fool. I hope this works out for Cook.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 19:43 (Ref:3739088)   #28
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neil Hudson tweeted this: "Think the driver shuffles in the BTCC have only just started"

Who else?
Old 6 Jun 2017, 19:45 (Ref:3739089)   #29
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Neil Hudson tweeted this: "Think the driver shuffles in the BTCC have only just started"

Who else?
Well there's a vacancy at Maximum now, in a car that can certainly score some fine results. I can imagine there are a fair few interested drivers...
Old 6 Jun 2017, 20:36 (Ref:3739102)   #30
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
I can imagine there are a fair few interested drivers...
who are already on the grid or outside of it ?
Old 6 Jun 2017, 21:20 (Ref:3739108)   #31
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Both I would think. Do we think Maximum will feel TOCA wrath if they cannot sort a driver for Saturday?

I hope not.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 05:59 (Ref:3739151)   #32
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So it seems the options on the table for BMR to put Plato into a good Subaru have not been taken, and I am not aware that the test went ahead with Sutton's car.

So does that mean Plato is still in the damaged Subaru - and no further forward in understanding how to run at the front.

If that is the case, it seems strange to run at the two best suited for RWD tracks knowing that you won't be at the sharp end!
Old 7 Jun 2017, 07:46 (Ref:3739178)   #33
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
So it seems the options on the table for BMR to put Plato into a good Subaru have not been taken, and I am not aware that the test went ahead with Sutton's car.

So does that mean Plato is still in the damaged Subaru - and no further forward in understanding how to run at the front.

If that is the case, it seems strange to run at the two best suited for RWD tracks knowing that you won't be at the sharp end!
Who knows?! I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Warren's shed to work out what's going on over there, in less than a year they've gone from running 8 cars (effectively, if you count their assistance to BKR), 5 of which seemed competitive by the end of the year (Plato, Turkington, Cook, Sutton, Taylor-Smith) to running 6 cars and taking 11 rounds to see a win with the rest of the cars ending up wrecked or way down the order.

I know teams can have bad years, but to have so many cars doing so badly just doesn't sit right. There's clearly budget and management issues on both sides of the shed (hopefully now that 888's been fully BMR'fied with Nico Ferrari taking over at the top, they can settle down and get some work done) and the worry is that we lose the manufacturer support and potentially cars from the grid.

I know a few seasons ago the entry list was over subscribed and there were at least 2-4 entrants waiting in the wings, but this year I got the impression that wasn't the case and seeing how desperate some teams have been this year to put bums on seats I fear that if we start losing cars they may be gone for good!
Old 7 Jun 2017, 08:27 (Ref:3739182)   #34
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I too am finding the whole BMR/888 thing confusing, and would really like to know why Josh Cook (who I think is a future star & appears to be a nice guy) has jumped out of the apparently competitive Focus, back into what appears to be a very lacklustre MG.
To be fair, I don't really understand the whole MG thing anyway. As a brand (they're not really a company) MG are selling less & less vehicles in the UK and as far as I'm aware, the MG6 isn't even a current model.
Isn't the MG 'works' deal supposed to finish at the end of this year? If it does, for reasons I've explained above I can't see MG renewing with another model, which leaves '888' (or that small corner of the BMR shed) without a works deal, and so no apparent super-deal continuity for Cook as there will be absolutely no mileage in running the old, bent MG shells any longer.
Then there's the BMR-Subaru conundrum. Loads of big talk, bluff & bravado last year, and although they've been thrown a curve ball with this 'Centre of Gravity' equalisation thing, and apparently suffered a boost reduction, apart from Ash Sutton, they are not only nowhere to be seen, but they also don't appear to be trying that hard to rectify the situation. (Apparently Plato was supposed to be back to back testing his & Sutton's cars last week, but didn't for whatever reason). This can't be very appealing to Subaru which I would think that long-term wouldn't encourage another manufacturer to get involved with the team if/when MG/Subaru decide to call it a day.
Obviously I'm completely on the outside looking in and don't know anything about what's going on behind the scenes, but it's not looking very good to me, but I suppose we will all be much the wiser in a few months time...
Old 7 Jun 2017, 11:56 (Ref:3739215)   #35
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I feel this is a brave move by Cook. Getting out of a car that was doing miles better and going to his old team to help them. I hope he does well for them, they need it. So who will be at Maximum? Who was the driver that tested for them pre-season?
Old 7 Jun 2017, 12:19 (Ref:3739240)   #36
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it isn't Lines in at Maximum - nice guy, I'm sure, but not really cut out for driving in the BTCC.

It'll be good to see Lloyd at Maximum, who would seem to be getting a better deal than Cook.

Maybe Dan Welch - good connection with the team from last year, and not doing much this year? It'd be great to finally see him in a competitive car...

Either that or someone racing with Maximum or Parker from another series?
Old 7 Jun 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3739278)   #37
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=VIVA GT;3739182]I too am finding the whole BMR/888 thing confusing, and would really like to know why Josh Cook (who I think is a future star & appears to be a nice guy) has jumped out of the apparently competitive Focus, back into what appears to be a very lacklustre MG.
To be fair, I don't really understand the whole MG thing anyway. As a brand (they're not really a company) MG are selling less & less vehicles in the UK and as far as I'm aware, the MG6 isn't even a current model.
Isn't the MG 'works' deal supposed to finish at the end of this year? If it does, for reasons I've explained above I can't see MG renewing with another model, which leaves '888' (or that small corner of the BMR shed) without a works deal, and so no apparent super-deal continuity for Cook as there will be absolutely no mileage in running the old, bent MG shells any longer.QUOTE]

Two MG's (Chassis V2012-C-0510-001 888-MG-001 & V2012-C-0510-002 888-MG-002) are owned by Lee Mowle. I think the MG chassis No.3 is owned by 888 so MG have no involvement with the team other than branding.

Unlike BMR where chassis C-009-04-BMR-039-01 & C-009-04-BMR-039-02 are owned by Liberty Leasing PLC & Chassis C-009-04-BMR-039-03 is owned by Subaru (UK) Ltd. I don't know who owns chassis BMR-039-04. So Subaru have a vested interest in Team BMR.

Last edited by mark_l; 7 Jun 2017 at 15:51.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 15:51 (Ref:3739282)   #38
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
I hope it isn't Lines in at Maximum - nice guy, I'm sure, but not really cut out for driving in the BTCC.

It'll be good to see Lloyd at Maximum, who would seem to be getting a better deal than Cook.

Maybe Dan Welch - good connection with the team from last year, and not doing much this year? It'd be great to finally see him in a competitive car...

Either that or someone racing with Maximum or Parker from another series?
Whoever takes the seat at Maximum/Parker they would have to remain for the rest of the year as only 1 driver change per season is allowed according to TBL regs.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3739284)   #39
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I too am finding the whole BMR/888 thing confusing, and would really like to know why Josh Cook (who I think is a future star & appears to be a nice guy) has jumped out of the apparently competitive Focus, back into what appears to be a very lacklustre MG.
Isn't the MG 'works' deal supposed to finish at the end of this year? If it does, for reasons I've explained above I can't see MG renewing with another model, which leaves '888' (or that small corner of the BMR shed) without a works deal, and so no apparent super-deal continuity for Cook as there will be absolutely no mileage in running the old, bent MG shells any longer.

Both MG's (Chassis V2012-C-0510-001 888-MG-001 & V2012-C-0510-002 888-MG-002) are owned by Lee Mowle. I think the MG chassis No.3 is owned by 888 so MG have no involvement with the team other than branding.

Unlike BMR where chassis C-009-04-BMR-039-01 & C-009-04-BMR-039-02 are owned by Liberty Leasing PLC & Chassis C-009-04-BMR-039-03 is owned by Subaru (UK) Ltd. I don't know who owns chassis BMR-039-04. So Subaru have a vested interest in Team BMR.
I don't doubt your claim that two of the Subarus are leased, but why would a leasing company want to lease a vehicle that is to be used for motor sport, and would therefore be likely to be uninsured against damage? That seems to be pretty poor collateral, unless there is a lien on other assets.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 16:08 (Ref:3739286)   #40
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Racecars can be insured, it just costs a bit more.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 16:10 (Ref:3739287)   #41
mark_l
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I don't doubt your claim that two of the Subarus are leased, but why would a leasing company want to lease a vehicle that is to be used for motor sport, and would therefore be likely to be uninsured against damage? That seems to be pretty poor collateral, unless there is a lien on other assets.
There are several series where the cars are all leased, usually with the leasing company as series sponsor.

If the car is damaged then the team/driver have to repair the damage, non of the cost is footed by the owner. That would be a condition of the lease.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 16:19 (Ref:3739289)   #42
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I can definitely see Welch taking the seat at Maximum. But would it be Force Majure, considering Cook left to join another team?
Old 7 Jun 2017, 16:24 (Ref:3739291)   #43
mark_l
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I can definitely see Welch taking the seat at Maximum. But would it be Force Majure, considering Cook left to join another team?
Does Dan have a 2017 competition licence of the correct grade? I am just saying this as so many people on here have put drivers names up as replacements for Cook without even knowing if the driver has the correct licence to compete in BTCC.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 19:12 (Ref:3739332)   #44
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Does Dan have a 2017 competition licence of the correct grade? I am just saying this as so many people on here have put drivers names up as replacements for Cook without even knowing if the driver has the correct licence to compete in BTCC.
It's only a grade C international license that is required. It's only one step up from the National A and loads of people have them. I don't bother as it costs more than a National A and I don't need it.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 19:22 (Ref:3739333)   #45
mark_l
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
It's only a grade C international license that is required. It's only one step up from the National A and loads of people have them. I don't bother as it costs more than a National A and I don't need it.
It may only be an Int C that is needed, but first you have to apply for it. How many of the drivers reckoned to be in with a shout of the Maximum Motorsport seat are actually racing this year, and have therefore got the licence.

Maybe Dan hasn't bother apply for a licence as he saw no chance of competing, with being too bust running the Porsche. Same goes for many other drivers.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 20:57 (Ref:3739350)   #46
Suriwong
Rookie

Suriwong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a one step back two steps forward for Cook. I think MG had a really strong marketing position with Cook and Sutton last season, and with the bad start to this season they could have been losing sponsorship deals. With Sutton being out of question due to being under BRM management, MG wanted to get a talented driver back in their car. With a guaranteed drive until the end of 2018 with a car he has a proven track record in and the support of MG, I think he might have made the right decision.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 20:58 (Ref:3739351)   #47
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It may only be an Int C that is needed, but first you have to apply for it. How many of the drivers reckoned to be in with a shout of the Maximum Motorsport seat are actually racing this year, and have therefore got the licence.

Maybe Dan hasn't bother apply for a licence as he saw no chance of competing, with being too bust running the Porsche. Same goes for many other drivers.
MSA can turn them round easily in time.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 21:13 (Ref:3739356)   #48
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well someone was shaking down the Maximum Motorsport Focus today! So does that mean a driver is in place & just not announced yet!

As for driver swaps, how about AWE switching from AmD to Maximum, very close links with Mr Lines?!?
Old 7 Jun 2017, 21:33 (Ref:3739363)   #49
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
Well someone was shaking down the Maximum Motorsport Focus today! So does that mean a driver is in place & just not announced yet!

As for driver swaps, how about AWE switching from AmD to Maximum, very close links with Mr Lines?!?
I was thinking along those lines too today. But looking at AMD social media, they are still preparing his car which is still stickered up with his name, number and sponsors on.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 21:34 (Ref:3739364)   #50
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Given the licence is only £200, any serious driver will hold it.