Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 Jul 2017, 09:29 (Ref:3749404)   #1
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Mark0994 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2018 TCR UK

http://tcr-series.com/index.php/news...ing-for-the-uk
TCR UK is a go
Old 7 Jul 2017, 09:57 (Ref:3749409)   #2
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0994 View Post
Be interested to see how this works. If they position it as somewhere between VW Racing Cup and BTCC then they could be onto a decent winner, but that would put them in direct competition with things like the Clio Cup, which already benefits from being on the TOCA package and all the things that come with that.

Would be good to see some of the talented guys without the massive BTCC budgets get a chance in it though, especially if it gets a decent media package, and comes with some other good Championships.

I shall watch with interest.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 09:58 (Ref:3749410)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Can it succeed where SCV8 and T1 failed? Personally it would be a good feeder to the BTCC, like a National Saloon Championship
Old 7 Jul 2017, 14:50 (Ref:3749446)   #4
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is going to be run by the BRSCC. Personally I think it would be a fine addition to the BGT/F3 package but the Minis and VWs are already there. I don't see how else it will get the attention it would want and need to succeed. BRDC F4 eventually had to hook up with BGT...
Old 7 Jul 2017, 15:36 (Ref:3749453)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
TCR won't replace VW Fun Cup.

For starter, TCR is front-wheel drive and the Fun Cup is rear-wheel drive. Also the power-to-weight ratio is very different.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 15:57 (Ref:3749454)   #6
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Neither of those things have any bearing on whether something will replace the other.

STCC in 2016 was Mid-engine, RWD, lightweight silhouette cars.

STCC in 2017 is TCR-spec.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 16:15 (Ref:3749456)   #7
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm, not really sure on this one. I like the TCR concept, but I'm undecided on whether or not it's the right time to be introduced in to the UK motorsport marketplace. It's not going to rival BTCC without a lot of investment and ground work being done. There are already a number if feeder series to BTCC that do a good job at a lower cost, with the jump from Clios or Minis up to BTCC seeming to be relatively easy provided you're a decent driver. We have a pretty good thing going here in the UK (IMO, of course), I would really hate to see it spoiled.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 16:23 (Ref:3749457)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
TCR won't replace VW Fun Cup.

For starter, TCR is front-wheel drive and the Fun Cup is rear-wheel drive. Also the power-to-weight ratio is very different.
I don't think anyone has mentioned VW Fun Cup. You may have seen mention of VW Racing Cup, which is a completely different thing.

Fun Cup is a multi-driver enduro series using space-frame Beetle lookalikes.
Racing cup is a UK series using Golfs, Scirrocos, etc - www.vwracingcup.co.uk

I'm expecting TCR UK to be pitched around the level of of the VW Racing Cup. I've seen many comments elsewhere from people saying it won't rival BTCC in terms of TV coverage and support - I don't think it's in any way attempting to be a BTCC replacement
Old 7 Jul 2017, 17:47 (Ref:3749467)   #9
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
Hmmmm, not really sure on this one. I like the TCR concept, but I'm undecided on whether or not it's the right time to be introduced in to the UK motorsport marketplace. It's not going to rival BTCC without a lot of investment and ground work being done. There are already a number if feeder series to BTCC that do a good job at a lower cost, with the jump from Clios or Minis up to BTCC seeming to be relatively easy provided you're a decent driver. We have a pretty good thing going here in the UK (IMO, of course), I would really hate to see it spoiled.
I agree and all it will do is harm series like Mini, VW, Clio cup etc.
it's not needed in this country
Old 7 Jul 2017, 18:36 (Ref:3749471)   #10
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I don't think it's in any way attempting to be a BTCC replacement
For the time being
Old 7 Jul 2017, 19:33 (Ref:3749476)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Not convinced there's need for this series but have to admit looking forward to see how this develops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Can it succeed where SCV8 and T1 failed? Personally it would be a good feeder to the BTCC, like a National Saloon Championship
In contrast to these series TCR cars exist already.
Less risky to invest in TCR because you can race the cars elsewhere.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 20:12 (Ref:3749484)   #12
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClarrpz View Post
For the time being
For what it's worth, I think that would be an absolute disaster. The last thing British motorsport needs is a power struggle at the top. We need to have a definitive ladder where everyone works together, there just isn't enough money to go messing around try to shoehorn a load of series in to one country. Sometimes, less is more.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 20:52 (Ref:3749493)   #13
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
For what it's worth, I think that would be an absolute disaster. The last thing British motorsport needs is a power struggle at the top. We need to have a definitive ladder where everyone works together, there just isn't enough money to go messing around try to shoehorn a load of series in to one country. Sometimes, less is more.
won't be a power struggle against BTCC at all, but it sure will be power struggle against Clio, Mini, VW cup etc.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 21:06 (Ref:3749497)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
From what i've seen of TCR it's very much BTCC level.

The cars look and sound the same for starters?

Surely there's only room for one of these on the calendar.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 21:07 (Ref:3749499)   #15
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Maybe fairer than BTCC??
Old 7 Jul 2017, 21:43 (Ref:3749504)   #16
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can see this being very much like the LMP3 Cup that MSVR launched this year.
Old 8 Jul 2017, 09:28 (Ref:3749561)   #17
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TCR Uk will not damage the Btcc in the short term but in future it could be a threat. I have read somewhere that the budget for a BTCC season is quite high. Is it true?
Old 8 Jul 2017, 18:37 (Ref:3749640)   #18
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looking forward to it. Can it come to Knockhill please? We don't even get British GT up here any more.
Old 8 Jul 2017, 18:49 (Ref:3749643)   #19
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Britain doesn't need this series. I'll still follow it though.
Old 8 Jul 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3749651)   #20
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I don't think anyone has mentioned VW Fun Cup. You may have seen mention of VW Racing Cup, which is a completely different thing.

Fun Cup is a multi-driver enduro series using space-frame Beetle lookalikes.
Racing cup is a UK series using Golfs, Scirrocos, etc -
Oops, sorry
Old 9 Jul 2017, 06:23 (Ref:3749706)   #21
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TCR exists as a world wide series with manufacturer support, with many cars available both new and second hand. Personally I think it's important the UK has a series that has that world wide commonality rather than the cul de sac that is BTCC.

I hope that it is successful.
Old 9 Jul 2017, 08:26 (Ref:3749711)   #22
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just thinking how many people current own a TCR spec car in the UK? Off the top of my head:

Stewart Lines (Leon)
Finlay Crocker (Civic)
Andrew Morrison (Leon)

Old 9 Jul 2017, 09:50 (Ref:3749724)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Purely from a looks point of view, I think TCR cars are more attractive than the NGTC cars the BTCC use. They have wheels that actually fit the arches, the rear wings are more elegant and the overall body kits don't look quite as plasticy.

The TCR cars also don't appear to roll around quite so much when cornering which has long been a pet hate of mine of the current BTCC cars.

I hope that a TCR series is a success.
Old 9 Jul 2017, 09:56 (Ref:3749725)   #24
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They do look nicer but I wish there were more saloons with proper boots. The A3 is the nicest one because of that IMO.
Old 9 Jul 2017, 14:45 (Ref:3749783)   #25
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
Just thinking how many people current own a TCR spec car in the UK? Off the top of my head:

Stewart Lines (Leon)
Finlay Crocker (Civic)
Andrew Morrison (Leon)

There are also a few British run TCR cars in the Creventic 24h series... not sure if any of those would be interested in doing sprint races at home, though.