Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 22 Jan 2004, 21:59 (Ref:847489)   #1
Sterling
Rookie

Sterling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Caterham 7 Enduro Championship A new style of racing for OZ

Hi all i thought i would set up a thread to get some feedback on a new series for Australia.
The Caterham Enduro Championship is a completely new format for racing at club level in OZ. It is based around the very successful one make Caterham Series in Europe and the UK, as well as the Radical format of long distance multi driver events. The cars will be very highly specified, fast and a lot of fun to drive. They will be sealed to stop development spending, with only some basic set up changes permitted. THe car package comes with 2 drivers suits and some spares. The car is so highly specified the only option is a Stack data logger.
This particular version of the Caterham, the Blackbird, has won it's class at the Nurburgring 24hrs first time out. THe chassis, with a different engine came 11th outright at the same event in 2002.
The weekend will see a total of 7 hours track time over a Saturday and Sunday(no need to take Friday off). 4 X 1/2 hour Practices and 4 X 15 min qualifying on Saturday. On Sunday there will be a 4 hour endurance race. This is a mandatory minimum 2 driver format. Driver changes will be mandatory during a ten minute window between 5mins to and 5 mins past the half hour.Refuelling will be carried out by our teams every hour.A team could run up to 4 drivers with each getting 1 hr 45 mins running per weekend. This would make the weekend all the more affordable. The idea is to put great quality racing, loads of track time and affordable racing back in the hands of the club racer.
THe car package is $60,000 inc GST for a fully built unpainted car. A 4 driver team? $15000 each.
The cars are also eligible for most of the road rallies.So once you've bought it, it won't just sit around the garage waiting for the next round. In fact i will be running our car in Targa again this year, after a rather eventful run last year.
THe series will be at state level to save on travel costs. Hopefully we will have series runnning in several states so competitors can then choose to run at circuits outside their home state if they wish, but nobody is forced into the expense of travel if they don't want to.

The basic reason for developing this eries was the lack of value for money racing at club level. Outside the Procar series and V8s the racer gets virtually no track time, and usually at great expense. We are not looking to compete with the high profile series such as Aussie Legends. our series is for the the begginner, club racer and those looking to have fun at a reasonable cost. We will be looking to gain as much media coverage as possible so sponsorship can be gained by our competitors, but the cost of racing is so low the money neeeded won't be much. We will also be providing a fairly attractive prize for the championship winners. Our current aim is a fully funded drive at the Bathurst 24 Hrs. Not confirmed yet but most of the way there.

What do you think?
Old 22 Jan 2004, 22:02 (Ref:847493)   #2
Sterling
Rookie

By the way if you feel chatting to me in person we will be at bothe the Brisabne (yokohama stand) and Melbourne (Caterham Cars stand) Motor Shows.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 22:28 (Ref:847524)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Australian circuits have expressed an interest in running the series?

How does this fit in with CAMS statement they won't allow any new categories into Oz sport for the foreseeable future?

Or are you contemplating running as an AASA accredited series?
Old 22 Jan 2004, 22:37 (Ref:847541)   #4
just a racer
Racer

just a racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh no, here we go, more CAMS bashing............
Same tune, different thread.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 23:02 (Ref:847564)   #5
RaceTime
Veteran

No - nothing to do with CAMS bashing - simple questions.

CAMS have already stated they will NOT authorise new categories (I have no argument one way or the other with that) - so my question is simply - if this is being brought in as a new category - it doesn't appear to be an extension of an existing category - then how will it be run?

The above message also says it is to be run as a state level category - again I have absolutely no problems with that. But the question then is - at what tracks?

So for anyone wanting to potentially run these cars - these are perfectly valid questions - particular, for some people like Barry Bray and Richard Catchlove (funny how these new first time posters keep springing up as well..) these are questions that should be asked, and answered, without fools claiming CAMS or AASA are being bashed.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 23:16 (Ref:847579)   #6
Sterling
Rookie

We have interest from Oran Park, Wakefield Park and Eastern Creek in NSW. This is going ton be our first State.

We have CAMS approval for state level championships and will work with who provides the best value and package. We have spoken to AASA in the first instance and are impressed by their attitude. It is my understanding at this stage we should be able to run either. However the whole situstion is a bit of a mess and who knows where it will end up by next year.

Re other states we have a great response from Queensland Raceway, today in fact, and Winton in Victoria.

I should point out we have no political agenda and are merely interested in running a fun value for money series for the competitors. They are our customers and will be the first in our thoughts in any decisions we make.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 23:22 (Ref:847588)   #7
RaceTime
Veteran

Sterling - I wasn't suggesting any agenda - simply wanted to clarify where you would fit the vehicles in given todays categories.

Any ideas when Wakefield may give the cars a run? Is it likely to be this year? Next 6 months etc?

Not surprised you have had a positive response from Oran Park, Wakefield, Winton and QR - although have to admit the Eastern Creek one surprised me given the only meetings they run, apart from National Championships, are State Championship meetings.

But - best of luck - and don't forget to get your media releases to me - racenews@racenews.com.au
Old 22 Jan 2004, 23:22 (Ref:847590)   #8
Sterling
Rookie

Race Time
Your questions are valid and important given the current situation in motor racing here. I ahve done my best to sift through the facts and rumours and found it to be a bit of a swamp.

I would like some of your thoughts on the concept, which is also very improtant.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 23:38 (Ref:847608)   #9
RaceTime
Veteran

I have no problem with series such as this - provided they are managed properly and that the competitors receive good, reliable service - there is no reason that they can't run and survive with other categories currently around.

One of the biggest bugbears for any competitor or group of copeetitors these days is finding a race car that they can reliably race and is competitive. But, just having a competitive car is also problematic eg it is no good having a car 5 seconds quicker than anyone else because crowds and promoters are soon going to get sick of seeing someone walk over the rest of the field.

The other hassle, with any field, is having the numbers. Again it is not going to enthuse the public, and especially the promoter, if only 6 to 10 cars keep turning up (this is one of the reasons behind the Touring Challenge Garry Willmington has started). You need at a minimum, 2/3 rd of a grid to be a solid, reliable new class. But, more importantly, they have to race and entertain - otherwise it becomes a wasted effort.

Wakefield Park will certainly give you a fair go if you come up with decent fields. As will Winton and Queensland Raceway.

Oran Park may be a bit harder because they, as a promoter, don;t run meetings - the only meetings they run are the V8's and Procar - and the support categories at those meetings are pre-determined. The other meetings are mainly run by NSWRRC - and these are State level race meetings which are all currenlt overbooked with categories (that should be the subject of another thread!)

Eastern Creek is in a similar boat - except the Creek promoters, the ARDC, run the STate Level rce meetings - again, these are overbooked with categories making it hard for any other category to fit in (they could drop the Alfa romeo series but, as it is a favourite of one of their directors, this would seem to be an unlikely happening).

So - from my perspective - your current likely tracks are QLD Raceway, Wakefield, Winton and, by association with Winton, Calder which could give you a 2 state series if you wanted to.

However - that then leads to the question of CAMS/AASA. CAMS takes a stern view (read 'pay me $$$') in relation to any series attempting to run in more than one state (look at the problems Paul Pickett has had over the years first with Daewoos and then MG's). So a serious consideration here has to be 'Run with CAMS or AASA'

Queensland Raceway has already made part of this decision for you - they will be running their events under AASA this year.

Wakefield run under both CAMS and their own permits (ie not AASA) - and the likelihood is that unless you are on the NSW State Series list (unlikely at this stage) you would be running at one of the Wakefield permitted events.

Winton runs (or has in the past) run both - but again, this year would most likely be AASA - and Calder definately AASA.

Oran Park - could be either - Eastern Creek would be CAMS only.

So - and you probably haven't looked at this way - you are likely to be a ground clearing category - the first to run under both CAMS and AASA

Hope this helps - and hope you see where I am coming from...
Old 23 Jan 2004, 00:04 (Ref:847645)   #10
Sterling
Rookie

I do see where you are coming from and understand your concerns. I hope the following gives some moren info
The reliability issue has been uppermost in our minds. We ahve devised a car around a proven product(24 hrs around the Nurburgring and to finish 11th outright is a credential any car would love to have) In fact we have been spending a lot of time on this issue and are very satisfied with the end product.
Close racing is somethig Caterhams are known for. They support the British GT and F3 Calendar as a training ground for GT drivers. The racing is unbelievably close and extraordinarily entertaining. Lead changes of up to 8 times on one lap are common.The lack of aerodynamics and the identical specification, as well as the relative ease to drive these cars make for the close racing.
The grids well thats up to us to ensure we have plenty of cars playing.
The cars are owned by the drivers and can be run by them, another team/ engineer, or we can run the car for the driver.
In reference to the meetings, we will have to be a stand alone weekend due to the track time we require. We are looking at running 3 support categories. These categories will also gain in the amount of track time they currently get. We plan to provide 2 30 min races each, pplus several practice sessions and qualifying.
We have spoken to Eastern Creek and they have been very supportive and helpful. They are aware of trhe format and know what we need. it doesn't seem to be a problem.
Our series will run individually in each state as it's own state championship. ie one in QLD one in NSW etc. Not one series crossing borders as such. this has been explained to CAMS and again no problem so far. Early days though.
So far it looks like we could be a ground breaking series as you say. We don't plan to tie ourselves down to any one organistaion as such. We will work for the best interests of the competitor. We have been aware this might be the case, although we didn't think we were the only ones.
THe whole series will be run to the same formula as the Caterham Superlight/ R400/ Eurocup championships in Europe, to the extent we are adopting their sporting and technical regs. These championships have beenone of the longest standing and most successful one make series in that part of the world. The formula is a proven product.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 00:17 (Ref:847654)   #11
RaceTime
Veteran

- sorry - you've just killed the category completely in one fell swoop - 8 lead changes in one lap? CAMS will NEVER permit that happen out here

Oops - sorry - I'll go back to my hole now

/kidding
Old 23 Jan 2004, 00:23 (Ref:847663)   #12
Trevor P
Racer

Trevor P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sterling
I imagine your cars would fit under the same classification as PRB's. If you want to be separate, you will need to convince, and possibly guarantee to, NSWRRC, ARDC, and Wakefield that you have enough vehicles. Six to ten is not enough. I imagine this could be a challenge with so many sucessful classes at the moment in NSW. Unless you are prepared to back up with big dollars (that won't go down well with all the other classes).
Are you a commercial operation? If so, how will you guarantee that if numbers are below some viable level, you will not withdraw your support. Every other commercial single make series has gone that way, and still do.
Why don't you just get together with the PRB's and have a "Clubman Challenge"? No shame in losing to another make every now and then.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 00:25 (Ref:847667)   #13
Trevor P
Racer

Sorry, I missed the bit about 8 lead changes in one lap. Which track will you be racing on? It couldn't be any in NSW if that's the case. I think you are demonstrating some degree of ignorance about moto racing if you think the lead can change 8 times in one lap. Even possibly the best class for lead changing, Formula Vee, does not do that.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 00:36 (Ref:847681)   #14
Hybrid
Racer

Hybrid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it sounds great and wish you the best of luck.
In terms of cost it looks good value for money. Are you looking for any support cats to offset the cost of the day. Are you looking at TV coverage ?
Old 23 Jan 2004, 00:38 (Ref:847683)   #15
Sterling
Rookie

It happens in the UK. I relise the circuits ar different here and the level of racing may take some time to reach this kind of competetineness, but it ahppens and could reach that level here.
We are in discussions with CAMS and the SCCA to have a class in the clubmans championship ofr our spec of cars. Regs have been submitted to CAMS and we should have a decision soon. This would however be in addition to our own series. We want to give our drivers as much opportunity to race their cars as possible, without having to change them.
To run in the clubamns series alone would defeat the purpose of the whole concept.
We are a commercial operation and have committed to the championship. The regs will be frozen for three years with only changes to the cars made due to safety and reliability.
We believe the concept is good enough to entice the numbers to join us, our aim is also to bring a lot of people, currnetly daunted by the cost and lack of track, in time, into racing. There are people wjo want to race but can't see the piont at the moment, we hope to provide the means by which they feel comfortsble to indulge their passion and sport.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 00:41 (Ref:847686)   #16
RaceTime
Veteran

Trevor P - he isn't kidding about the lead changes - Autosport often have rave write ups about them....
Old 23 Jan 2004, 00:47 (Ref:847690)   #17
Sterling
Rookie

Trevor P I know it seems a bit unrealistic from what i have seen here but it does happen.
I also do have quite a lot of experience. 2 Bathurst 24 hrs(1st in class 5th outright 2002 , several Nurburgring 24 hrs, British GTs, ADAC Cup in Germany and at least 5 years in various Caterham Championships in the UK, as well as one assault on the Nurburgring 24 hrs in Catereham Blackbird(not a very successful one i grant you). Plus various other club and higher races. I ahve been involved in races where the lead pack consisted of 8 cars and the lead changed constantly.
The championship was devised through my own experieince.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 00:48 (Ref:847692)   #18
Trevor P
Racer

Like any commercial operation, you are being as optimistic as possible, and that is understandable.
I am involved occasionally with another class which achieves many of your stated objectives (not all - but it achives other objectives that your class doesn't) at less price, but would not compete directly with Clubmans, or directly with your "buy and drive" concept.
I would reconsider about hwo you describe the cost of your concept - "good value" may be a better description rather than "don't be daunted by the cost.."
I won't comment further on your assertions about lead changes, but good luck is all I can now say (write).
Old 23 Jan 2004, 01:02 (Ref:847703)   #19
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sterling

I should point out we have no political agenda and are merely interested in running a fun value for money series for the competitors. They are our customers and will be the first in our thoughts in any decisions we make.
Motorsport without Politics, nuh won't happen.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 01:05 (Ref:847706)   #20
Sterling
Rookie

Trevor P the "daunted by the cost" comment was made to me by a number of people looking to race and some who have raced. Mostly they felt they weren't getting enough time on the track or able to race cars of a particular level of performance or specification without a huge outlay of time and money. Travelling some of the distances you have to in OZ with only a few 6, 8 or 10 lap races over a weekend can become very expensive on a dollar per lap basis. Add in the grief from the wife and it all becomes very hard.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 01:27 (Ref:847724)   #21
RaceTime
Veteran

Pffft - the wife should be on the team as wheel changer, windscreen cleane and team timekeeper...methink someone has their priorities wwrong if she isn't!
Old 23 Jan 2004, 02:18 (Ref:847757)   #22
Trevor P
Racer

I take it Mr Sterling that you are not in Australia?
You are not making this a question of cost, but of track time. You can get into many levels of motor racing at far less cost than $60,000 capital. My friends race six to eight race meetings a year at State level for about $5,000. Their car brand new is about $23,000.
If you want to race as much as you propose then yes the cost would be very daunting. I find $60,000 daunting.
And I still won't comment further about the eight lead changes per lap...
I don't mean ill - I think if you hire the circuit yourself for the weekend and run your own race meetings six or eight times per year you could well find enough people to fund ten to twenty cars.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 02:26 (Ref:847765)   #23
Sterling
Rookie

I am actually in Australia. The car package for what you recieve is actually very good value. Considering the series requires a minimum of 2 drivers the cost is now down to $30,000 with 3 1/2 hours track time. So the issue is valus for money in both specification, and track time.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 02:29 (Ref:847767)   #24
Trevor P
Racer

For the track time, then maybe. I agther that's 3 1/2 half hours each meeting, not just once?
Old 23 Jan 2004, 02:33 (Ref:847768)   #25
Sterling
Rookie

each meeting.
Can i ask which series you are associated with?