Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 Aug 2002, 14:55 (Ref:359154)   #16
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Remember when Jody did it and was hiding under his towel for ages before the squat thrusts?
Turned out he was looking for a racing driver's typical 'unfair advantage' and had smeared some form of lubricant over the soles of his trainers to assist with quicker thrusts! If TGF or the like were to do it today, the trainers and lubricant would probably have been developed in the race factory for this one event!

Last edited by Andrew Kitson; 16 Aug 2002 at 14:56.
Old 17 Aug 2002, 11:40 (Ref:359661)   #17
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
James as I remember him. Hard charging in his F2 March - Oulton 1971.
Attached Thumbnails
jamesf2.jpg  
Old 25 Aug 2002, 22:27 (Ref:365720)   #18
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another great thread!

I love listening to Murray and James doing the F1 commentary, a unique pairing who thouroughly entertained those lucky enough to be able to experience it. His image and his antics can always bring a smile to my face and I still remember the shock when my Mum told me he'd died of a heart attack. F1 commentary would never be the same again.
Old 29 Aug 2002, 15:06 (Ref:368272)   #19
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite his clobbering of my beloved David Morgan, Hunt was and remains one of my heroes. I remember a mate of mine seeking autographs in the paddock at the Croft international in 1971. Hunt willingly signed the autograph, but my mates reaction was "Oh - I thought you were Andy Sutcliffe". James said "Who's he?".
Old 29 Aug 2002, 15:30 (Ref:368285)   #20
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is Dave Morgan?! (and Andy Sutcliffe!)

Hunts commentary was priceless, Murray would do his usual thing and James would throw in the odd comment when he felt like it, made me crack up.
Old 29 Aug 2002, 15:51 (Ref:368294)   #21
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
A shame really that in today's world James would not be "corporate enough" to be considered "marketable."

Wasn't he also world champion in handball or something as well after his retirement from F1?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 29 Aug 2002, 15:58 (Ref:368299)   #22
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Education time. Dave Morgan was of the same era as Mr Hunt. In the 1 litre F3 days, he had a reputation as a hard charger and being the only driver to get any
decent results in the March 703. People like a certain Mr Walkinshaw failed miserably in that particular car. In one particularly lurid race at Crystal Palace, Morgan tried just a bit too hard and caused an almighty accident involving James H, who promptly ran accross the track and thumped Morgan. He later went on to win the first F2 race he entered, in a converted F3 Brabham. This was against stiff opposition including the likes of Lauda and Peterson. Andy Sutcliffe was of more or less the same time: he bacame works F3 driver for GRD and won one of the championships in, I think, 1972. Not quite sure what happened to him after that.
Old 29 Aug 2002, 16:40 (Ref:368344)   #23
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Dave Morgan was a very good driver and became a very well respected race engineer. Andy Sutcliffe too was very quick and went on to F5000 with the 'Thursday's' March team.
I recall that Dave was working for the Lamborghini f1 team in 91. He could always be spotted smoking his pipe - hanging from his mouth even in the high octane atmosphere of the F1 pit lane. One of the drivers, Van der Poele I think it was, complained about the size of the cockpit saying the other teams cars were different. 'One way to sort this out' said Dave who promptly marched into the Ferrari garage, tape measure in hand and started to take measurements. The Ferrari mechanics quickly man-handled him out! That caused a bit of a storm.
I saw many of his races including his famous win at Mallory in the F2 Brabham against most of the top guys of the day.
His brother Richard was also very quick in FF and F.Atlantic. Here is a pic I have found of Dave in his 1972 F2 March at Crystal Palace.
Attached Thumbnails
dmorg.jpg  
Old 29 Aug 2002, 16:45 (Ref:368350)   #24
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I notice from 'Autosport' - James Hunt would have been 55 years old today, 29th August. Makes you realise just how young he was when he sadly passed away.
Old 29 Aug 2002, 18:51 (Ref:368477)   #25
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But the young devil did lead life to the full, one of his must equal 3 of ours. Every night was party night. Birds, booze at night and race cars during the day.

Tell me again, how do I sell my soul.

SL
Old 11 Sep 2002, 10:58 (Ref:377817)   #26
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trust me, James is not forgotten..I will never forget him diving into the flames to pull Ronnie Peterson out.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 11:04 (Ref:377820)   #27
strad
Veteran

Attached Thumbnails
ronniemonza78.jpg  
Old 11 Sep 2002, 11:12 (Ref:377826)   #28
strad
Veteran

Here's to ya James.......
Attached Thumbnails
jhunt.jpg  
Old 18 Sep 2002, 00:34 (Ref:382942)   #29
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
are there any good Biographys on Hunt? can anyone who could keep up with him remember anything of the party years!
Although not terribly well edited, anyone would enjoy "James Hunt Against All Odds" by Eoin Young and James Hunt. It is primarily a race by race description of the incredible 1976 season. Probably one of the most dramatic F1 seasons ever! It also has excellent photos, including a series showing a young Hunt flipping his Formula Ford.

Even in death, Hunt was controversial. A Japanese newswire picked up the announcement of Hunt's death. However, the mention of Sean Connery, Hunt's friend and "James Bond" actor, got mistranslated into "James Bond has died" rather than "James Hunt has died". For several days, the Japanese thought Sean Connery was dead!

Not to mention Paul McCartney!

Last edited by Neil C; 18 Sep 2002 at 00:35.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 07:39 (Ref:383094)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK I won't mention Paul McCartney.

I've got that book.