Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 27 Aug 2013, 11:03 (Ref:3294659)   #1
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
What to get - Seat Exeo or VW Passat

Circumstances now mean I need an estate car (sorry, in the modern world that's a "sport tourer"), because I need a decent sized flat floor, and as far as I can make out, most hatchback rear seats don't fold absolutely flat. (Certainly not my present Golf).

For the sort of money I can find, I'm looking at a Seat Exeo 2.0Tdi 143 PS with lots of kit (not really important to me, but it helps resale), or a VW Passat 1.6 Tdi 105PS, the same motor as my Golf. The Exeo is no longer made AFAIK, and never was a big seller, but seems a bit of a bargain. The Passat is possibly the most boring car on the market, maybe even more than the Avensis, but you know what you're getting. I had a bad experience a few years ago with the first generation Leon, with 12 (yes, twelve) separate warranty problems in 2 years, and swore I'd never again take heed of motoring journalists who say "all the quality of a VW with a lower price".

But that Exeo is tempting - it's at a main dealer and would still have 2 years warranty left. Nice looker too. I know that the modern generation of VAG diesels are reported as having problems (I have extensive experience of the old 1.9Tdi units, and they're bullet-proof), but my present 1.6 unit has done 50k in 2 years with no bother. The PDF warning came on once, but I gave it a blast on the local ring-road at 2/3000 rpm in 3rd and 4th and it did the trick. I look after my motors, even if at times the body and interior are a bit shabby, unlike many drivers who think diesels look after themselves. Properly serviced, on schedule, and you should be OK.

I'd prefer not to go down the Mondeo route - any experiences out there of the Exeo or Passat ?
Old 27 Aug 2013, 13:02 (Ref:3294714)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Had an 09 Passat TDi170. Big flat floor, ok for kipping in, excellent lashing points for loads, 75k in 3 years and never missed a beat. Electric handbrake did my head in and took a lot of getting used to.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3294732)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
what kind of mileage are you planning to sell the chosen one on with in the future?
Old 27 Aug 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3294733)   #4
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Had an 09 Passat TDi170. Big flat floor, ok for kipping in, excellent lashing points for loads, 75k in 3 years and never missed a beat. Electric handbrake did my head in and took a lot of getting used to.
Thanks for the input. I had a Passat saloon as a loaner once and I agree about the handbrake. As you infer, you probably get used to it. The 170 would be the 2.0 litre engine, I guess, and that could be out of my price range in VW format.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 13:27 (Ref:3294737)   #5
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
what kind of mileage are you planning to sell the chosen one on with in the future?
I usually shift them after 3 years, by which time the mileage will have gone from 10k at purchase to around the 100k mark. Mixed mileage, some town work (the roads here are like the outer suburbs of Ulan Bator, and speed-bumps are prolific in addition), and some country work, cruising on Ulster B-roads at 60 mph. Interflora deliveries for the entire Ards peninsula.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 17:05 (Ref:3306279)   #6
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you considered a Skoda Octavia? I have one and adore mine. Comfy, not expensive to run, loads of boot space. I'd say they're very comparable to the Passat. (But better looking, IMO.)