Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 22 May 2001, 19:01 (Ref:95283)   #1
FoxM
Rookie

FoxM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 Engine and the Fuel

It's may be a stupid question, but i couldn't find how much fuel does a F1 engine uses per gallon... i mean, the consumption (?) of an F1 engine...

Another question... talking about the protection of the nature (always green) how good is the quality of the fuel? Which are the "technical" details of the F1 fuel?

Excuseme my english...

Ciao

FoxM.
Old 22 May 2001, 20:26 (Ref:95310)   #2
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the Forum FoxM!

We did a little digging around for an answer to this question a few months ago, and the general concensus was 'around' 3 to 4 miles per gallon.

This was arrived at by careful analysis of the circuit length, tank capacities, engine RPM, pit refuelling time length, and all those elements combined with a bloody good guess!

Hope it helps.
Old 23 May 2001, 07:12 (Ref:95431)   #3
desmo
Rookie

desmo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You might be suprised to learn that F1 fuels are remarkably similar to prosaic roadside pump unleaded. In fact an F1 engine will run quite happily on that, albeit with a slight dimunition in output. Honda discovered back in the 60s that once you spin a NA four stroke up past about 14K, detonation essentially ceases to be a problem.
Old 23 May 2001, 10:29 (Ref:95475)   #4
FoxM
Rookie

Thanks

Wow... so it's more or less the same than a ChampCar... that's cool... well i've heard somewhere in Monza that the F1 cars are a lot less contaminating than the road cars and that the fuel fits with the latest european regulations...

Well... anyway... now I have a question about the las reply... i'm not a thec-guy (but i'd like to) so... could you explain me, desmo, the last sentence of your post? "Honda discovered back in the 60s that once you spin a NA four stroke up past about 14K, detonation essentially ceases to be a problem."

What's this "NA four stroke"? and the "14k" are the RPM? Sorry, may be i'm a bit slow with this... or i don't know enough english... could be a language problem... could be...

Ciao

FoxM.
Old 23 May 2001, 17:59 (Ref:95614)   #5
desmo
Rookie

desmo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FoxM- please forgive my lapsing into jargon or shorthand. 14K = 14,000rpm, NA four stroke = naturally aspirated (un-super/turbocharged) spark ignition.
Old 23 May 2001, 18:36 (Ref:95637)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Champ cars use methanol for fuel. It is an alcohol based fuel. The F1 cars use a gasoline or petrol based fuel, of very high octance and other performance additives. The stuff smells like lacquer thinner at the track.
Never forget #99
Old 23 May 2001, 18:49 (Ref:95645)   #7
FoxM
Rookie

Thanks again

No, no... it's me who have to ask for excuses for my english... i wrote thec... what's that? sould be "tech" no? and it wasn't "las reply".. should be "last reply"... but anyway... it's cool that you helped me.. thanks a lot...

Ciao

FoxM.