Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 9 Oct 2013, 23:35 (Ref:3315486)   #101
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been playing a lot of Game Stock Car recently, based on the Brazilian Stock Car series featuring some great little circuits in Brazil, most of which I would have never come across. I was inspired to design a short flowing track.

The full circuit (without chicanes) is 2.9km, whilst taking the shortcut cuts down the lap length to 2.1km.

**Story time** The track is in the process of being brought up to date safety-wise. For example, the pit entry and exit were recently redesigned. They were originally located on the pit straight itself, causing slow cars in dangerous spots. Likewise, tarmac and gravel runoffs are slowly being updated to meet acceptable safety standards.
Attached Thumbnails
26 overview.jpg   26 infield.png   26 pit entry.jpg  

26 pit exit.jpg  
Old 13 Oct 2013, 23:13 (Ref:3317469)   #102
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
First quick glance reminds me of Mondello park in Ireland...only Mondello has the extra loop
Old 14 Oct 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3317795)   #103
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're right about it looking like Mondello, only it looks a bit faster and not as back and forth. There is some nice flow with this one and it really fits the style of the old school, Brazilian tracks. I also love the amount of detail you have put into this one. Great Work!!
Old 12 Nov 2013, 21:26 (Ref:3330589)   #104
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Hey all, lots of activity here over the past few days and I thought I'd get in on the action.

This clockwise track is characterised by the two huge looping corners at the far east and west points. These are non-permanent parts of the circuit. The infield sections and connecting roads were added to the super-fast classic loop to promote better racing, as well to allow a shortened version of the circuit to be used at any time without the problems of closing the roads.

Full circuit (blue) 5.8km
Classic loop (green) 4.6km
National (red) 3.4km
Club (yellow) 2.4km
Attached Thumbnails
27 overview.png   27 configs.png   27 pit entry.jpg  

27 new.jpg  
Old 13 Nov 2013, 20:10 (Ref:3330984)   #105
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
^^ Nice track. Looks like a nice, fast club circuit. I'd make it all a bit smaller though, maybe cut the size down by a quarter. Therefore, your blue circuit would be 2.7 miles or so. Just the way the track is designed doesn't quite mesh with a full-length track of 3.0+ miles (or 4.8 km). Just my two cents...
Old 30 Dec 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3349024)   #106
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
I think I've finally cracked elevation change in sketchup. I've been experimenting for a while, the main issue is getting the barriers to follow the contours of the landscape.

This is a circuit that I originally posted in LuiggiSpeed's 1.5 mini circuit thread, but I felt that it lacked something, adding some up-and-down fixes this. Some of the gradients may be slightly steep, but I don't mind too much. It's my first circuit with elevation change and I got a bit excited...

The pit straight is level. the circuit slopes downwards through the first turn and continues down into a small dip before levelling out before the fast right hand kink. After the new turn 4-5 chicane the track slopes upwards all along the back straight, cresting just before turn 6.

The next section is a roller coaster ride, down, up then steeply down the looping turn 8. The crowd is close here, the walls closer. Then up and over the fast turn 9 and 10 before levelling off through turn 11. From here the track is flat until turn 1.

Let me know if you want to see any more images.

A late Merry Christmas and an early Happy New Year everyone
Attached Thumbnails
29 terrain.png   29 terrain pit exit.jpg   29 terrain hill.jpg  

29 terrain flipflop.png   29 terrain loop.jpg   29 terrain downhill.png  

Old 16 Feb 2014, 13:22 (Ref:3369043)   #107
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Nice compact club-type circuit. Originally intended to have the two parallel straights double as a drag strip, but I ran out of room. There is an optional chicane on the back straight for use in any of the configs.

I hope SpeedingTortoise doesn't mind, I've nabbed a new textures from his latest project for the armco barriers and the tyre walls. I feel these add an extra little detail and if I can continue to use them that would be great.

I wanna see more tracks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
31 plan.jpg   31 pit entry.jpg   31 turn 1.jpg  

31 chicane.jpg   31 configs.png  
Old 16 Feb 2014, 18:02 (Ref:3369105)   #108
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please continue to use the textures, I love the amount of detail you consistently make for your tracks. This looks like Zolder's small, fast cousin as the blot shape is quite similar. It looks perfect for touring cars and I would love to see stock cars try the 1.1km "oval". My only annoyance is the optional chicane as the straight it's on isn't long enough to need breaking up and the run off at the end could be extended to solve any safety problems. It just seems to be there to push the stands further back. But other than that this is another great, detailed track by you.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 18:59 (Ref:3369823)   #109
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another great one.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 20:57 (Ref:3369869)   #110
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like the concept of the chicane on the parallel straight immediately opposite the starting grid , not least as it give main grandstand spectators more than just half a second per lap of action.

There is one thing though that immediately jumps out. If running the Yellow and green circuits, there is a barrier that would have to be really shortened. As it currently stands it's a very very narrow point on the circuit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	SKG.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	42013
The right hand arrow shows where it should begin to curve, with the left hand arrow pointing out approx where it should meet the other barrier.

Actually taking another look, I'd amend your design slightly with the pit entry as well. the circuit width stays the same, but it's a larger and more inviting looking I think now...

Name:	SKG 2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	42014

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 18 Feb 2014 at 21:16.
Old 25 Feb 2014, 22:30 (Ref:3372205)   #111
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
I do like your solution, however the reason I pinched the barrier so close to the track on the exit was to minimise the risk of a car having issues into the braking zone at the end of the back straight spinning across into oncoming traffic.

The Nurburgring grand prix circuit comes to mind. Rather, the shortened circuit they use for DTM. As you can see, the barriers are just about as close here as they are in my design. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedingTortoise View Post
My only annoyance is the optional chicane as the straight it's on isn't long enough to need breaking up and the run off at the end could be extended to solve any safety problems. It just seems to be there to push the stands further back.
The main reason the chicane is there is to add a bit of spice to the two shorter (Green or Blue) circuits or maybe the tiny yellow circuit, if for any reason anyone would want to drive it!

Cheers for the feedback chaps.
Attached Thumbnails
a51172901dbf3f4a8a6a88b9548330e4.jpg  

Last edited by SKG; 25 Feb 2014 at 22:36.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 15:57 (Ref:3374430)   #112
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
A cool little club circuit with some space in the infield, the owners (me) decided that a dirt track should be added, then linked it to the road circuit. Unfortunately, they (I) realised that this configuration would get almost no use, since at 4.6km it's too long for rally-cross.

The owners (I) are (am) hoping that some sort of cool hyper-rally-cross-circuit racer/series thing is created soon so this little circuit can release it's full potential.

The two pit lanes are joined by the same paddock, saving space.
Attached Thumbnails
28 angle.jpg   28 plan.jpg   28 configs.jpg  

Old 3 Mar 2014, 17:11 (Ref:3374458)   #113
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
My first though on looking, the blue diagram caught my attention. The shape could easily be that of a circuit made from the perimeter roads of an old airfield. The yellow pit straight would be in line with on of the runways.

Rather belatedly here is the airfield configuration ... think Silverstone and Thruxton
Attached Thumbnails
skg1.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 5 Mar 2014 at 01:21.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 10:49 (Ref:3375301)   #114
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
The yellow circuit could be a UK venue for LORRS type series
Old 8 Mar 2014, 19:00 (Ref:3376501)   #115
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
I like this! Yeah, you're right, it does look like a perimeter circuit, especially with those runways added in. I'm not sure that with the current track lengths, long enough runways would be able to fit.

I'm not going to re-model now, but thanks for the idea, it gives me something to consider for future designs.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 12:28 (Ref:3376690)   #116
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Another figure-of-8 circuit!

The main circuit is 5.2km, including the recent addition of the new turn 6 at the end the the back straight (constructed after concerns were raised after a big accident at the old, fast turn 6, where the bridge into the paddock cuts into much needed runoff space).

The short circuit is 3.5km, hugging the edge of the paddock and missing off the figure of 8 section.
Attached Thumbnails
32 plan.png   32 angle.png   32 bridge detail.jpg  

32 pit entry.jpg   32 pit exit.jpg  
Old 23 Apr 2014, 07:28 (Ref:3397080)   #117
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
My first though on looking, the blue diagram caught my attention. The shape could easily be that of a circuit made from the perimeter roads of an old airfield. The yellow pit straight would be in line with on of the runways.

Rather belatedly here is the airfield configuration ... think Silverstone and Thruxton
I like this version a lot.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 18:45 (Ref:3416304)   #118
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Bit quiet here lately!

I've ticking along with a few more new designs. Anyone want to see/know more details?
Attached Thumbnails
33.png   34.png   35.png  

37.png  
Old 9 Jun 2014, 14:39 (Ref:3417584)   #119
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
1. the first thing that jumps out is scale, if the top straight is 1km long that would be about 500m back and would make the start finish only at 300-350m long. I'd maybe forget the hairpin or turn that into a Drag strip, and just have the main paddock loop with the top right and left hand sections, those scaled around the s/f being about 600m.

2. I don't really understand the pit complex in this one, why the bus-stop? The 90 right into the 90-90 chicane on the link road seems very slow would really break up any flow.

3. I like the idea of the option chicane at the bottom of the image, though I personally would have it profiled differently but that's to individual taste. Without knowing circuit lengths, I'd say that you didn't need the final infield section. I think that the entrance to it and the exit from it have the makings of a large chicane option rather than the hairpin.
Not sure why you need the kink onto the S/f I'd have though the curve around onto it would do fine, and you could still have the pit entry in the same place.

4. The short circuit has strong hints of Brands Hatch Indy to me - not necessarily a bad thing. I do however like the ideal that for bike races the penultimate corner can sweep further around forming esses with the final corner as the third element. Not sure how it would race in reality but I like the look of it. The return to he second straight could have a bit more to it, and the bottom straight, I'm not a fan of that bus-stop but I'm not sure what else I'd do without completely changing the layout.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 17:13 (Ref:3418237)   #120
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Shall we begin? :P

1. This was envisioned as a test track, providing a good mix of corners. It can be raced, but I wouldn't imagine the full straight being used, probably opting to take the hairpin halfway down, or short cut it completely. The straight is indeed long, 1.6km, and the pit straight is just over 400m, but bear in mind that the first kink would be flat out on the first lap.

2. I forgot to mention that these are all unfinished (are they ever finished?? ) and this was an experiment to see if I could squeeze in an optional chicane in the little runoff available. Would only be used on the short loop, and even then only if the race organisers deem it necessary. This is personally one of my favourite designs to date.

3. The optional chicane you mentioned is tight because I really wanted the cars to slow down (also aids in overtaking). That fast right is not only at the end of a long straight, but also at the bottom of a steep (ish) downhill slope. I totally agree with your opinion on the extra loop section. Although optional, it seems unnecessary, a more open chicane would probably be more appropriate.

4. It wasn't meant to be indy, honest! The shortcut wasn't originally there. When I added it later I saw it instantly! I'm glad you liked the final turn(s). Could you explain what you mean by "The return to he second straight could have a bit more to it" ?

Thanks for the feedback, as always. I'll have circuit lengths soon.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 18:48 (Ref:3418274)   #121
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKGThunder View Post
Shall we begin? :P

Could you explain what you mean by "The return to he second straight could have a bit more to it" ?
All I meant by that was, I'd personally would have included another corner to perhaps have an infield overtaking chance (depending on scale), as currently it looks to be a quick right onto the straight down to the hairpin in the bottom right corner.

A five second sketch...

Name:	skg-mod.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	42719
Old 10 Jun 2014, 19:02 (Ref:3418283)   #122
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
A five second sketch...
Attachment 42719
Perfectly adequate sketch! I like it.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 01:58 (Ref:3419020)   #123
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I very much like your latest batch of circuits, very organic yet scientific, nice ones!!!
Old 13 Jun 2014, 17:25 (Ref:3419998)   #124
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
I very much like your latest batch of circuits, very organic yet scientific, nice ones!!!
Thanks! What do you mean by "organic yet scientific"? I'm interested.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 04:13 (Ref:3422871)   #125
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKGThunder View Post
Thanks! What do you mean by "organic yet scientific"? I'm interested.
Some tracks are naturally following the terrain, or are built very irregular or aleatory, and some others are more purpose built, where the challenges are designed, I like I to call them "spaniard" tracks. As far as we as a little group of aficionados, have both camps here with bio being the champion of organic natural tracks and probably myself on the purpose built track, then all the others fall somewhere in between

Your tracks are very well designed I like them very much