Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 11 May 2012, 19:58 (Ref:3072792)   #1
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
RiP Carroll Shelby

Sad news. Just missed the 50th anniversary celebrations of the Cobra as well, RiP Carroll.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T61tgNWSOX0
Old 11 May 2012, 20:52 (Ref:3072818)   #2
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, very sad.

RIP Carroll - Many thanks for the Cobra & GT350
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 11 May 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3072837)   #3
CGC Retro
Rookie

CGC Retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad day for the automotive world.

RiP Carroll Shelby
Old 11 May 2012, 22:37 (Ref:3072847)   #4
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When I was in 5th grade we had to dress up as who we thought was the most influential person in history. There were Caesars, Abe Lincolns, and even a Genghis Khan. I went as Carroll Shelby of course. Rest in Peace Mr. Shelby.

If you haven't tried his chili mix, I recommend it, and all the proceeds go to a great cause.
Old 11 May 2012, 23:41 (Ref:3072860)   #5
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
A man who's legacy and name will live on and, I hope, be remembered for generations to come. RIP Carroll
Old 11 May 2012, 23:54 (Ref:3072868)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Another legend goes to that scrap yard in the sky !
I didn't realise that he was one of the oldest heart transplant recipients .
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 May 2012, 23:59 (Ref:3072870)   #7
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
When I was in 5th grade we had to dress up as who we thought was the most influential person in history. There were Caesars, Abe Lincolns, and even a Genghis Khan. I went as Carroll Shelby of course. Rest in Peace Mr. Shelby.

If you haven't tried his chili mix, I recommend it, and all the proceeds go to a great cause.
Rock on, I bet your parents got a letter from the teacher

(I did a report on the Porsche 917 for composition, my teacher having told me I couldn't as it would not be possible. Hours at library going through magazine archives as this was pre-internet days.)

Agree on the chili mix too.
Old 12 May 2012, 01:06 (Ref:3072883)   #8
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RIP a sad day for motorsport and the loss of one of the greatest innovators & drivers we have seen
Old 12 May 2012, 02:08 (Ref:3072890)   #9
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
A man larger-than-life who had a grand long life. RIP.
Old 12 May 2012, 04:58 (Ref:3072907)   #10
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Rock on, I bet your parents got a letter from the teacher

(I did a report on the Porsche 917 for composition, my teacher having told me I couldn't as it would not be possible. Hours at library going through magazine archives as this was pre-internet days.)

Agree on the chili mix too.
Ha! Glad I'm not the only one with a problem.

I only remember getting some strange looks and having to do a lot of explaining. In many ways I was right though. To me he was the embodiment of the American dream (or the dream of anyone of making it big). A poor chicken farmer and part time dirt track racer catches the eye of Aston Martin. He was the second American to win at Le Mans but is forced to quit due to a bad heart. He then starts his own car company and is tasked by Ford to single-handedly take on the best the world has to offer and wins. I know some of the story is embellished, but it is the "John Henry" type character that I choose to remember.

I'm sure wherever he is tonight he is rightfully behind the wheel of one of his cars and getting up Enzo's craw.
Old 12 May 2012, 06:55 (Ref:3072923)   #11
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A sad loss, the 50th celebration at Watkins Glen in three weeks will take on a whole new meaning now. RIP Carroll Shelby.
Old 12 May 2012, 10:37 (Ref:3072972)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very sad loss indeed. One of the truly great figures in motorsport - and for me, as a sports car racing lover - a true legend.
Old 12 May 2012, 11:24 (Ref:3072988)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
All the words I could use have already been written, so I can only echo what has been said.

My condolences to the Shelby family.

R.I.P. Caroll
Old 12 May 2012, 13:36 (Ref:3073050)   #14
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Ha! Glad I'm not the only one with a problem.

I only remember getting some strange looks and having to do a lot of explaining. In many ways I was right though. To me he was the embodiment of the American dream (or the dream of anyone of making it big). A poor chicken farmer and part time dirt track racer catches the eye of Aston Martin. He was the second American to win at Le Mans but is forced to quit due to a bad heart. He then starts his own car company and is tasked by Ford to single-handedly take on the best the world has to offer and wins. I know some of the story is embellished, but it is the "John Henry" type character that I choose to remember.

I'm sure wherever he is tonight he is rightfully behind the wheel of one of his cars and getting up Enzo's craw.
Everyone on this forum has a problem

Shelby was America's Enzo, both starting as drivers and then going on to found and build eponymous cars, and battled each other for glory, interestingly neither ever raced, as drivers, their self-named cars.

Even a non-racing business student could find much of interest in these men's management, project leadership and brand creation styles.
Old 12 May 2012, 16:55 (Ref:3073107)   #15
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Reading The Cobra Story (way back when...) led to my interest in ABCs coverage of Le Mans in '65 which hooked me on sportscar racing. Thank you Carroll and Godspeed...

jimclark
Old 13 May 2012, 02:04 (Ref:3073414)   #16
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Pete Lyons on Shelby

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...#ixzz1uhzIISyM
Old 13 May 2012, 08:29 (Ref:3073494)   #17
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had the pleasure of meeting the great man when marshalling at the Goodwood Revival a few years ago. I stayed behind for the presentations & was heading for Alan Jones for an autograph when I saw a black stetson out of the corner of my eye. I abandoned Alan Jones & headed towards the Stetson. Mr Shelby kindly signed my programme, then noticing my orange overalls, grabbed my hand & shook it & said "Thank you young man for looking out for my cars". All could say was Thank you Mr Shelby but that's what we're here for. I never did get Alan Jones' autograph. Needless to say his autograph is my most treasured, more so than Schumacher's. And Carroll Shelby one of the nicest guys in motorsport (along with Bobby Rahal). He will be sorely missed. RIP to the end of an era & a great man.
Old 13 May 2012, 14:15 (Ref:3073697)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Too often these "tributes" end up as dour recitations of ones resume and a wish for one to rest in peace, rather than paying tribute to ones personality and how they lived.

It's been said he died of pneumonia but it appears instead he passed due to a motor boating accident.

http://jalopnik.com/5909688/the-prob...carroll-shelby

If not entirely true, certainly Shelby would approve of such a legend.

It was an interesting character who keep pushing along and like he said, he had many bombs in the marketplace that were unprofitable, but it only took a few hits to make his legacy live beyond his lifetime.
Old 13 May 2012, 15:16 (Ref:3073760)   #19
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Too often these "tributes" end up as dour recitations of ones resume and a wish for one to rest in peace, rather than paying tribute to ones personality and how they lived.
You are obviously refering to my post. Well I'm sorry for my dour post. It's not often you meet genuine people in motorsport. I'll have to refrain from paying tribute to people in future.
Old 13 May 2012, 15:33 (Ref:3073778)   #20
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I think it's nice (overused word) to read some tributes, particularly if the poster knew or has met the driver and has a personal and positive anecdote.
I must admit to not responding or contributing to tributes where I have met the person concerned and they were a total a****ole ........ but I guess that makes me a bad person?

Anyway, obviously not true in the case of Carroll
Old 13 May 2012, 18:39 (Ref:3073915)   #21
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebrown View Post
You are obviously refering to my post. Well I'm sorry for my dour post. It's not often you meet genuine people in motorsport. I'll have to refrain from paying tribute to people in future.

No I wasn't referring to your post at all, in fact didn't even read it until now. What I was referring to was some of the stock standard "tributes" posted in some of the media and blogs on the internet.
Old 15 May 2012, 20:31 (Ref:3074998)   #22
Andrew Rast
Rookie

Canada
Toronto
Andrew Rast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a sad day for motorsports fans. His legacy is incomparable. RIP Mr. Shelby. Your legacy will indeed live on!
"I'm not claiming divinity. I've never claimed purity of soul. I've never claimed to have the answers to life. I only put out songs and answer questions as honestly as I can... But I still believe in peace, love and understanding." - John Lennon