Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 4 Mar 2016, 13:41 (Ref:3619892)   #1
James W
Rookie

England
Hove, East Sussex
James W should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Volunteering online via the BMMC Website

Does anyone know how long it takes before you are told if you are marshalling at an event?
I have done all my volunteering online via the BMMC Website.
I am a newbie trainee, so I have no idea of what to expect.
Thanks
Old 4 Mar 2016, 14:53 (Ref:3619917)   #2
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For almost all meetings if you've applied you've been accepted. But the first you'll hear is when the tickets turn up in the post and that's usually about a week before the event. For MSV circuits I'm told you don't even get anything in the post now, just an email with a ticket for you to print yourself.

The really big meetings like Goodwood and the GP are different but I guess you won't be doing many of those just yet.

Steve
Old 4 Mar 2016, 15:12 (Ref:3619925)   #3
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be safe to assume that you will have just successfully volunteered for every meeting you put your name down for with the exception of any Goodwood meetings or some Touring Car meetings. If you are not required for an event you volunteered for (EXTREMELY unlikely!) then someone will let you know. Put all the dates down in your diary / phone/ Outlook etc. and enjoy the days when they arrive!
Welcome to the crazy world!!!
Old 4 Mar 2016, 17:05 (Ref:3619952)   #4
Fubar Andy
Rookie

United Nations
North West
Fubar Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the events that you have applied/volunteered for can be viewed in your calendar.

This option is on the top right hand side of the volunteering page.

It should give you a list of all the ones you have opted to apply and which position for.

You normally get confirmation aka letter and tickets 10 days before the event, but as mentioned above any that you have volunteered for your pretty much accepted
Old 4 Mar 2016, 21:22 (Ref:3620006)   #5
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar Andy View Post
You normally get confirmation aka letter and tickets 10 days before the event, but as mentioned above any that you have volunteered for your pretty much accepted
I'd say 10 days is optimistic - I don't know many events this will be the case. If you've not got them by Tuesday before event, worth contacting chief marshal, or checking on this place for updates.
Old 6 Mar 2016, 17:57 (Ref:3620585)   #6
Colin Barnes
Rookie

Colin Barnes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to provide everyone with the official response...

Members using BMMC online volunteering system can assume they are accepted for each and every event except British GP and Goodwood events for which, as mentioned, there are selection procedures.

Events selected will appear in you personal calendar.

You will receive a system generated email reminder 7 days prior to the event.

Tickets will be posted to your home address by the organising club, typically 7-14 days before the event.

MSVR has announced a ticketless policy for 2016 initially for Brands, Oulton and Snetterton (Cadwell to follow). We understand members will receive an email with an e-ticket to print and there will be a facility show the email on your tablet/mobile at the circuit gate. We are waiting final instructions from MSVR.

If you have any specific requests, such as an upgrade assessment, please contact the Chief Marshal by email.

The BMMC volunteering system will shortly display a "HELP" button on the landing page and this should cover the most common questions raised.

I hope that helps your understanding of this system.

Colin Barnes
BMMC National Treasurer (& current caretaker of the volunteering ysyem)
Old 6 Mar 2016, 21:28 (Ref:3620674)   #7
Fubar Andy
Rookie

United Nations
North West
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
I'd say 10 days is optimistic - I don't know many events this will be the case. If you've not got them by Tuesday before event, worth contacting chief marshal, or checking on this place for updates.
Yeah, I think I was a generous there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Barnes View Post
MSVR has announced a ticketless policy for 2016 initially for Brands, Oulton and Snetterton (Cadwell to follow). We understand members will receive an email with an e-ticket to print and there will be a facility show the email on your tablet/mobile at the circuit gate. We are waiting final instructions from MSVR.

I genuinely like this plan!

I have two questions:

Do you also get a "guest ticket" (or two downloadable tickets) one for you and your guest?
My guest normally "rolls in" around 9-10am and I normally pass on the ticket a couple of days beforehand?

Secondly, I've noticed the other week I accidentally cancelled my attendance at the wrong event.
When I re-volunteered my application, the button on the list still remains "red" and showing "cancelled".
Even though my 2016 calendar shows that I'm attending the event, the button still says red and that I've cancelled that event. (see pic below)

Not sure if you are aware of that or if I need to do something to made the button turn green to confirm my volunteering application?

Old 7 Mar 2016, 16:29 (Ref:3620922)   #8
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Barnes View Post
Just to provide everyone with the official response...

Members using BMMC online volunteering system can assume they are accepted for each and every event except British GP and Goodwood events for which, as mentioned, there are selection procedures.

Colin Barnes
BMMC National Treasurer (& current caretaker of the volunteering ysyem)
Just for clarification

The statement is not correct and is an assumption which is both unreasonable and unrealistic.

BMMC Members are no different to any other marshal when it comes to volunteering and whether they are accepted for an event.

Using the BMMC Volunteering System doesn't provide any more chance of being accepted than any other means of volunteering.

Just because you have volunteered does not mean you have automatically been accepted not can you assume that you have been.

It is true that for the majority of meetings marshals who volunteer are accepted but in addition to the British GP and the Goodwood events there are occasions when other meetings need to manage the number of marshals which could result in some marshals not being selected. BTCC, Trucks, some others like American SpeedFest (Brands Hatch), have all had some restrictions on marshal numbers in the past.

So, while it is most likely that someone who has volunteered to marshal will be accepted, it is not an absolute given that you will be. For the majority of meetings it is reasonable for one to plan on the basis that they will be marshalling but be aware that there may be times when it turns out they are not required - for the very few "special" events where this is the case it is always sensible to be aware of the possibility that you might not be accepted and make your plans with this in mind.

The only point at which you know you are confirmed is when the details and means of entry for the event are confirmed to you by the Chief Marshal / Club official / marshal coordinator.

Dave

Last edited by deley; 7 Mar 2016 at 16:53.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 16:44 (Ref:3620929)   #9
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar Andy View Post

Do you also get a "guest ticket" (or two downloadable tickets) one for you and your guest?
My guest normally "rolls in" around 9-10am and I normally pass on the ticket a couple of days beforehand?
When the e-tickets were trialled (marshals and competitors) at Brands for an event towards the end of last year marshals had 2 tickets which could be downloaded and/or printed individually. So you would be able to give your guest a ticket.

Each ticket will only allow admission once, if multiple copies are made of the same ticket only the first ticket scanned in will be allowed entry. Subsequent scans (whether of the original or copies) will not be allowed entry.

Of course whether there are 1 or 2 tickets, as always, is down to what the organising club wants to provide.

Dave
Old 7 Mar 2016, 16:52 (Ref:3620931)   #10
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My advice is still to use Julian's site or the clubs own volunteering system such as the 750MC Christmas Card.

The BMMC website is just so un user friendly

Once you're on a Chief Marshals radar they'll find you.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 21:32 (Ref:3621025)   #11
James W
Rookie

England
Hove, East Sussex
James W should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to everyone for all the information. James W☺
Old 9 Mar 2016, 16:13 (Ref:3621590)   #12
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Once you're on a Chief Marshals radar they'll find you.
Absolutely!
Old 9 Mar 2016, 19:47 (Ref:3621643)   #13
GazJacobs
Rookie

United Kingdom
Black Country
GazJacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
My advice is still to use Julian's site or the clubs own volunteering system such as the 750MC Christmas Card.

I would really disagree with this statement. First I will admit that I've only been marshalling for a year. I have used the BMMC site for nearly all events I have marshalled or will marshal this year, whether that be club meetings, major events or hill climbs.

So far I have only encountered one problem & that was when the site was (I believe) first launched, Silverstone did not get my request to marshal the WEC last April, that was sorted by a quick call to the chief marshal.

As to the usability of site, I find it easier to have all the events on one page in front of me, rather than comparing several different forms.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 22:36 (Ref:3621714)   #14
Fubar Andy
Rookie

United Nations
North West
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazJacobs View Post
I would really disagree with this statement. First I will admit that I've only been marshalling for a year. I have used the BMMC site for nearly all events I have marshalled or will marshal this year, whether that be club meetings, major events or hill climbs.

As to the usability of site, I find it easier to have all the events on one page in front of me, rather than comparing several different forms.
I have to agree 100% with this.

I have had no issues navigating around the volunteering system or any user issues with the site. I've used my laptop, iPad and my phone to volunteer for events for the last 2/3 years!

Maybe its a "new skool" "old skool" thing where the newer generation are accustomed to such websites rather than faffing about with bits of paper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
One a genuine note, what makes the BMMC website "so un user friendly"?
Old 10 Mar 2016, 06:29 (Ref:3621771)   #15
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Apple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I my be classed as old school.
But I find volunteering on the BMMC site very easy.
I used it all of last year.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 13:49 (Ref:3621861)   #16
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do I arrange "Insurance Only" on the BMMC web site as I have volunteered direct with the organisers ?
Old 10 Mar 2016, 15:35 (Ref:3621885)   #17
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK ALLISON View Post
How do I arrange "Insurance Only" on the BMMC web site as I have volunteered direct with the organisers ?
I would assume that checking "volunteered with organising club" will take care of that.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 16:41 (Ref:3621905)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've used it the last two years for some of my volunteering (not everywhere I go is on it yet). I find it quick and very easy to use and had no problems with tickets coming through.

A definite thumbs up in my book.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 17:18 (Ref:3621916)   #19
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Having being asked this, apparently there is no actual need to "volunteer" with insurance only, it's purely for statistical reasons.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 18:23 (Ref:3621932)   #20
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Apple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is an option to just click on Volunteered with organising Club
Old 10 Mar 2016, 18:25 (Ref:3621933)   #21
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's fair to say it's 'work in progress' and we should all (including me remember that).

For my sins I'm a Computer Bod by trade so do understand. Honest.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 20:29 (Ref:3621958)   #22
Fubar Andy
Rookie

United Nations
North West
I got an MSVR e-mail today with two tickets attached as PDF's

Old 11 Mar 2016, 09:12 (Ref:3622081)   #23
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
I would assume that checking "volunteered with organising club" will take care of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
There is an option to just click on Volunteered with organising Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
Having being asked this, apparently there is no actual need to "volunteer" with insurance only, it's purely for statistical reasons.
I don't claim to have any real knowledge of insurance matters, but surely for insurance cover to be valid the insurer must be informed of the risk?

Maybe somebody who actually knows can clarify this? (Yes, I'm as guilty of speculating as anyone else!)
Old 11 Mar 2016, 13:37 (Ref:3622129)   #24
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So are we saying we automatically have insurance as a BMMC member for MSA licensed events ?
I understood that insurance cover was conditional on notification of dates and events in order to establish an audit trail in the event of a claim ?
Old 12 Mar 2016, 11:43 (Ref:3622320)   #25
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
So are we saying we automatically have insurance as a BMMC member for MSA licensed events ?
I understood that insurance cover was conditional on notification of dates and events in order to establish an audit trail in the event of a claim ?
I seem to recall this used to be answered on the old BMMC website to confirm it's the case - but it's also worth nothing that MSA insurance is similar in that:
Quote:
Blue book Appendix 2 - Para 15
All signed-on officials at events held under Permit or Certificate of Exemption, including set-up and dismantling. The signing-on of officials at events is extremely important in that one of the purposes of this is to identify a person as an official of the event and consequently establish the right to benefit under this personal accident policy. Cover for officials include travelling directly from home to an event and directly back home again from the event.
Therefore, is under MSA policy you're covered before you actually sign-on, it's safe to assume that BMMC insurance is similar.