Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 28 Oct 2003, 16:36 (Ref:765870)   #1
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Race Sim Recommendations?

I was looking through the screen shots thread and couldn't help but be amazed at some of the games you all have. Can any of you shed some light on what games these are and what I need to run them? I'm most interested in sportscars, specifically prototypes, and also F1. Some of those Group C shots were great. Also, any recommendations for PS2? I have two of the EA Sports F1 games, GT3 and LeMans 2000. Thanks for any help!
Old 28 Oct 2003, 16:54 (Ref:765888)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For me, Grand Prix Legends (GPL) is way out at the very top of the list. Nothing to beat it. Very hard to master, much intensely rewarding. Formula 1 1967-style. By Papyrus. Still available at bargain prices with 5 years worth of sensational downloads just waiting for you.

For Sports Cars, I still plump for Sports Car GT (SCGT). EA Sports (I think?). Still (IMO) a far better bet that the F12002 download derivatives.

I don't drive anything else.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 16:57 (Ref:765891)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry, forgot to say - for GPL you'll need a 1Ghz+ CPU plus a decent graphics card. Old Voodoos still work beautifully with this sim. I have a 2.2P4 and an elderly GeForce2, but GPL runs very sweetly. I've even run it on an old Celeron 333. There are options to reduce the graphics which mean that you lose much of the awesome eye-candy, but you still have the pleasure of the ultimate sim physics engine.

I'll now wait for my "mates" to chime in with their praise (we never let an opportunity to praise and plug GPL pass us by......).
Old 28 Oct 2003, 17:35 (Ref:765932)   #4
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
to bad GPL isn;t available for PS2 .. .. as the man asks

Ciao Marco
Old 28 Oct 2003, 18:15 (Ref:765992)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No recommendations for PS2.

Haven't got one.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 18:22 (Ref:766004)   #6
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i have a 1.4GHz and GeForce2. GPL does not run sweetly with all the brilliant addons. I only have 128 RAM though, so maybe that's why. Nevermind though, it's still a great sim and will run on virtually everything with original grafx.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 18:39 (Ref:766038)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I have 512 meg of RAM. One of the important things is to turn off other "background" applications, like AV asnd so on. Particularly daft and pointless stuff like screen savers (never use 'em ) and power-savers (some of which won't actually recognise that GPL (or whatever) is running. Also, if you get a new soundcard, don't buy an SB Live........

Last edited by Aysedasi; 28 Oct 2003 at 18:40.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 18:43 (Ref:766044)   #8
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the repsonses so far! In terms of hardware, I have a 1.3 ghz processor, loads of hard drive space and 512 mb RAM. Hopefully that's good enough. As for GPL and SCGT...where can I buy them? Are they still sold new?
Old 28 Oct 2003, 18:50 (Ref:766053)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Look at this thread for GPL purchasing info:

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=111178

You can of course download the demo to give it a try.

Not sure about SCGT though.....
Old 28 Oct 2003, 18:51 (Ref:766057)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Here for the GPL demo....

http://www.papy.com/downloads/gpldemo.exe
Old 28 Oct 2003, 18:51 (Ref:766058)   #11
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess that most of the sportscar shots were from the various F1-2002 mods. The best one to date is the SCR mod from rsdg.net with ALMS prototypes but you also have simbin's GTR2002 mod based on the FIA GT series, and its ferrari challenge. There is also a Le mans mod with all 50 cars available, and a 3 car mod based on so called Le Mans 93. There are many others available and in development, just have a look on racesimcentrals forums for alot of them.
Though to run them your likely to need a pretty fast PC.
And away from the F1-2002 appreciation society! you also have an a oldie, Sports Car GT if you can find it.

But as for the PS2, hmm I personally wouldnt bother. PC is the best
Old 28 Oct 2003, 18:54 (Ref:766062)   #12
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I have 512 meg of RAM. One of the important things is to turn off other "background" applications, like AV asnd so on. Particularly daft and pointless stuff like screen savers (never use 'em ) and power-savers (some of which won't actually recognise that GPL (or whatever) is running. Also, if you get a new soundcard, don't buy an SB Live........
I know the SB live thing already.

I usually have nothing running in the background, and i make sure of it. But i think that RAM is definitely somthing i'm lacking, and i'm looking into upgrading. Just can't afford it right now.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 19:27 (Ref:766101)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes, 128 is a little on the..... little side.

Funny isn't it. My first pc had 8 meg of RAM, and that was reckoned to be well specced at the time......
Old 29 Oct 2003, 02:13 (Ref:766418)   #14
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I did a search to find a place to buy a copy of GPL, and found some on Amazon. It says the maker is Sierra...is this the right game?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 03:21 (Ref:766447)   #15
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the PS2 I would stick with Lemans, GT3, and the like...if you have an Xbox get Pro race driver (the PS2 version is kinda crappy).

If you ever wanted to drive sedans on international circuits PRD is for you.

Oh yeah Total Immersion racing is good for PS2 and XBOX and cheap!!

It has TT-R, M3 for GT cars, Panoz, Mcclaren F1, Lister storm for GTS, Audi, Bentley, Panoz, Lister, Pilbeam, BMW for Proto...not to mention others...it has a mix of real and fake tracks (one of em is Sebring) all in all not too bad.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:10 (Ref:766905)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
I did a search to find a place to buy a copy of GPL, and found some on Amazon. It says the maker is Sierra...is this the right game?
That's the one. Made by Papyrus, marketed (I assume) by Sierra. Go for it.......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 29 Oct 2003 at 13:10.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 09:08 (Ref:768902)   #17
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
www.sold-out.co.uk

You'll find it there for £4.99 too.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 09:56 (Ref:768945)   #18
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
If you do get GPL jhansen, the best advice I can offer is to download Alison Hines generation 2 setups for the cars. The standard settings for the cars are not very friendly and for me, these (follow links from Racesim Central) made GPL playable and enjoyable. They will allow you to get into the game and begin to appreciate the amazing physics and realism. I now have a range of setups, (still a poor driver though, 2-5 seconds off negative on most tracks), but I think I might have lost interest without Alison's setups which allowed me to spend more time on the track than on the grass!
Old 31 Oct 2003, 10:04 (Ref:768950)   #19
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Alisons setups are very forgiving. i find them on the whole very understeery, but that's probably because i trail brake, and with her setups you're not supposed to.
Allon, if you use a wheel, you might find a bit more time if you now switched to RE1 setups, they're really good for getting into some of the more "agile" setups.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 12:33 (Ref:769090)   #20
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks pirenzo. Ayse sent me a huge number of setups, some of which suit me, others which don't. I'll certainly see if there are RE1 setups. I generally need something more agile than Alison's but not too twitchy. I had a couple of laps on the Ring last night, long time since I have played GPL and I was really tiptoeing around. Having said that my 'best' is still well above 9 minutes.

However for a beginner to GPL I would definitely recommend Alison's setups as a way in to the game.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 13:23 (Ref:769161)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by AllonFS
I'll certainly see if there are RE1 setups.

There will be Allon. I used the RE1s for a long time and still use them from time to time now.
Old 1 Nov 2003, 05:51 (Ref:769876)   #22
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to drive group C, the group C mod for F1 challenge is almost ready:

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=345

and for sportscars(WIP for F1 challenge, already available for F1 2002):

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/foru...s=&forumid=261
Old 3 Nov 2003, 06:31 (Ref:771234)   #23
Monza Bambino
Rookie

Monza Bambino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have GP4, the physics are great, game is very realistic as far as on track stuff goes, and has bucket load of options.
Including replay with fast forward and rewind, GOD mode{you can destroy the other cars and replay that, LOL}+ you can easily adjust gear ratio's, wing adjustments, and wet or dry race.

I'm very hard to impress with games, but this one is fine.

AMD 1800, GF4 440, 512R
Old 3 Nov 2003, 10:46 (Ref:771369)   #24
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets see, on my PC i have....

Grand Prix 4 (Best F1 sim by far, don't like the EA stuff)
Sportscar GT (classic fun with 97 season GT1 cars)
Grand Prix Legends (need i say any more?)
Nascar Racing 2003 (now this may seem like an odd ball, but it is fantastic, really realistic handling and I do advise anyone to give it a go, even if you don't like NASCAR. There is a demo on the papyrus homepage. BTW it is the game i play the most...)
Toca Race Drive (I hate the handling so its coming off...! I'm going to exchange it for the Xbox version soon)

Xbox (so may be some crossover for the PS2) wise i have
Colin McRae Rally 4 (best Rally Game, EVER!)
Total Imersion Racing (good GT fun, but arcady handling, and ignore the "apparently" advandced AI gimic)
Moto GP (best bike game ever, until moto GP 2 came out.... :P)
Project Gotham Racing (great game, but PGR2 looks and plays even better!)

BTW my Pc is running an AMD 2400XP+, with 512MB Ram, a 60GB hard drive, XP Pro, and a overclocked Geforce3Ti200. As Long as I'm sensible with the setttings, I can easily get good smooth games. I tend to like above 60FPS on any game I play.

Regards
Ed
Hope that helps a bit
Old 3 Nov 2003, 12:36 (Ref:771457)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Try Hard
I tend to like above 60FPS on any game I play.

Except GPL of course!