crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 3 new teams' drivers

Place your bets now...

US F1
Scott Speed - Only F1-experienced American available to lead.
Danica Patrick - They'll go for the PR, and she'll go for the money. Much as I think there are others that would do a better job, her results so far this year are admittedly decent enough to merit a drive.
Jonathan Summerton (test) - One of the more promising US youngsters out there. Has done a good job for A1 Team USA.

Campos
Giorgio Pantano - Used to race for them, plus they'll need someone with experience to lead the team.
Romain Grosjean - He'll be in high demand, best to keep him on-board.
Vitaly Petrov (test) - Grosjean's GP2 wingman.

Manor
Lucas Di Grassi - Plenty of experience as Renault tester.
Paul di Resta - Alumni, plus the British thing might count in his favour.
Roberto Merhi (test) - Manor's current leading F3 light, showing lots of potential.

Bruno Senna is another candidate, and I'm sure there will be one or two of the current grid find their way into one of these teams (eg. Trulli?).
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 12 Jun 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2481206)   #2
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Grosjean and Petrov are driving for Addax, not Campos. 2 separate entities now. However, Vitaly has had links with the team for a while so he's a fair shout. I'd say Pantano would be looking good for that too. Maybe Adrian Valles if they're desperate for a Spaniard, although he has quite close ties to Epsilon. De la Rosa and Sergio Perez (through Telmex) have been linked as well, although that may have just been a forum troll. Can't really see Pedro wanting to give up his McLaren testing role, although he has stated his desire to race again even at his ancient age

For US F1, Speed and Allemendinger seem pretty settled in NASCAR and Danica is known to be considering heading for it. NASCAR money is too high to entice drivers away from there to F1, so you'd have to look elsewhere for a young American. I'd say Andretti and Rahal are probably going to be fighting over a seat as they have driven an F1 car before, have the PR names and are reasonably talented. But the team are known to be looking for a veteran - Rubens has been mentioned but that was before he re-signed for Brawn

As for Manor, I think di Grassi is a good shout and Sam Bird has F1 testing experience. Oliver Jarvis is also a past employee, but I think Di Resta is unlikely because of his Mercedes ties. Could be just about anyone. But I will say that John Booth has a good eye for talent, having spotted Raikkonen and Hamilton and taken them to massive victories in Formula Renault

But it's very early to start talking about drivers. The driver market is completely frozen due to the political situation. If FOTA were to break away it would blow the driver market wide open - it could double the number of seats available at the "top" level (F1 and FOTA series)
Old 12 Jun 2009, 19:43 (Ref:2481214)   #3
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Grosjean and Petrov are driving for Addax, not Campos. 2 separate entities now.
I'm not completely convinced that Addax and Campos are two entirely separate entities.
At least they seem to be connected as Red Bull Racing was connected to Arden International.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 19:44 (Ref:2481217)   #4
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, in that case, why did Addax deny entering F1?
Old 12 Jun 2009, 20:02 (Ref:2481230)   #5
Adri_tifosi
Veteran

Spain
Jerez
Adri_tifosi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
I'm not completely convinced that Addax and Campos are two entirely separate entities.
At least they seem to be connected as Red Bull Racing was connected to Arden International.
According the websites , they are based at the same workshop.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 20:04 (Ref:2481232)   #6
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
For Campos it was mentioned in the Mexican papers a month ago that in fact Perez and De la Rosa were mentioned as drivers for the squad. As for USF1 I can see J Villeneuve and Scott Speed or Summerton. Manor I see DiResta and Petrov
Old 12 Jun 2009, 20:47 (Ref:2481253)   #7
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see Scott Speed contemplating a return to F1 as I think his sights are firmly on NASCAR these days. Jonathan Summerton is probably a likely candidate for one seat, however, the logical solution is that an experienced driver takes the other seat, if only for a seasons basis. Giorgio Pantano could be a candidate for Campos on the same basis. As for Manor, it wouldn't surprise me if Paul di Resta was one of the drivers. Rubens Barrichello could be a candidate for one of these teams as could Jarno Trulli if they aren't retained by their current employers.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 21:08 (Ref:2481259)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
USF1 are in a difficult position because they have tried to set themselves up as some kind of national team (a concept that should be left to A1GP).

Scott Speed might not want to come back. Danica would be a great press release generator - but after three races for the wrong reasons, she would be a chicane on wheels. IndyCars are about as advanced as a rather large stick these days.

Jonathon Summerton could be a good bet, having driven for A1 USA, and their other drivers could do well.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 21:25 (Ref:2481269)   #9
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
You're all forgetting one little very important thing - Summerton is a very mediocre driver. And he has no PR value

It has to be Andretti or Rahal unless they can lure
Old 12 Jun 2009, 21:57 (Ref:2481287)   #10
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with Andretti is that he has relatively poor road course form, compared to Summerton. Rahal is a somewhat better bet in that regard. Agreed with you on most other stuff though.
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 12 Jun 2009, 22:36 (Ref:2481299)   #11
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Andretti has poor road course form? His only IRL win has come on a road course. He won 3 times on road courses in the IPS and also simultaneously did Star Mazda. He's also driven sports cars and has been very impressive. His A1 form wasn't brilliant but he still got a podium, and they were new tracks to him in a new car he'd never driven before with a team that had never been in A1 before
Old 12 Jun 2009, 23:53 (Ref:2481320)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Poor USF1...promise of a decent car and no one to drive the bloody thing!
Old 13 Jun 2009, 04:24 (Ref:2481372)   #13
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Originally Peter Windsor wanted one expirienced driver and one American. Now he seems to want two Americans. He stated flatly that USGP would be on the 2010 grid with two American drivers on his Monaco gridwalk. From what I can tell Scott Speed has no interest in returning to F1. Everyone's talking about Danica and how horrible she'd be. I think she's more likely to be in NASCAR. If she did get the F1 seat she may not be as bad as many people think. She very good in the European junior formulas. Kyle Busch expressed mild interest, but has no immediate plans for leaving NASCAR.

I think it will come down to Andretti, Rahal and Summerton. At this point anyone else is a darkhorse.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 05:17 (Ref:2481377)   #14
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Why would FIA grant Andretti Rahal Patrick a license. Forget it they don't qualify. They are ******s period. Speed has a least a license and has some experience on the Grand Prix tracks and actually held his own with Luizzi. Summerton is a good peddler and has beaten quite a strong field in A1GP including BF3 champion. USF1 are in a bit of a pickle as there aren't any good American drivers around to choose.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 08:27 (Ref:2481422)   #15
Albeckinho
Racer

Albeckinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let me tell you some facts. These new teams won't survive without at least one of the drivers bringing 15-20 million euros. Vitaly Petrov reportedly has 50 million euros to make the jump to F1. So, it's paydrivers again.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 09:12 (Ref:2481435)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Graham Rahal is the best US driver currently in IRL who would realistically consider Formula One, although he's had a few too many incidents this season. Maybe they would settle for a driver with big US name recognition such as Bourdais or Doornbos?

If I were de la Rosa I'd give Campos a shot. It's his chance to really lead a team forward.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 10:40 (Ref:2481483)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albeckinho View Post
Let me tell you some facts. These new teams won't survive without at least one of the drivers bringing 15-20 million euros. Vitaly Petrov reportedly has 50 million euros to make the jump to F1. So, it's paydrivers again.
The whole point of the budget cap is to cut costs far enough so as teams would not require the dubious assistance of such things as 'pay drivers'.

And this "Vitaly Petrov"....who is he,and where'd he get 50 million euros from!
Old 13 Jun 2009, 10:49 (Ref:2481486)   #18
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey each driver brings with them 20 million then abracadabra the drivers have financed the team! No wonder they had all these want to Be's try to enter teams for next year.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2481531)   #19
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forget American drivers, they have never done anything wothy in F1. JV would be a good idea.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2481533)   #20
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer View Post
Forget American drivers, they have never done anything wothy in F1.
Phil Hill, Masten Gregory, Harry Schell, Richie Ginther, Dan Gurney, Mario Andretti, Peter Revson and Eddie Cheever would like to disagree

There have been more US drivers in the F1 World Championship than from any other country
Old 13 Jun 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2481536)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Phil Hill, Masten Gregory, Harry Schell, Richie Ginther, Dan Gurney, Mario Andretti, Peter Revson and Eddie Cheever would like to disagree

There have been more US drivers in the F1 World Championship than from any other country
Agreed. It seems that history only goes so far back for some.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 13:12 (Ref:2481584)   #22
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
USFI? JV all the way. Danica is ready to go all the way.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 13:40 (Ref:2481644)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Danica is ready to go all the way.
I've heard this too!
Old 13 Jun 2009, 14:08 (Ref:2481718)   #24
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Danica is ready to go all the way.
I like your way of thinking... Albeit wishful

Selby
Old 13 Jun 2009, 14:36 (Ref:2481751)   #25
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This is a family forum chaps...