Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Apr 2003, 13:55 (Ref:554917)   #26
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
There is???????? Where????????
Old 1 Apr 2003, 14:19 (Ref:554933)   #27
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
uk, mallorca & florida...
paul.hickman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
In many ways I feel it would be good to include 'man management' in our training as observers and incident officers.
Stephen,

To be pc (before anyone else picks it up...) we should say 'people management' or as one of my law lecturers used to say "In law the term 'man' embraces woman'..."

All that said, I absolutely agree about its inclusion in training programmes. Let's get it on the national agenda...

Paul
Old 1 Apr 2003, 16:18 (Ref:555020)   #28
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Note Mr. Green in blue nomex undies at the back!

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 1 Apr 2003 at 16:19.
Old 1 Apr 2003, 19:20 (Ref:555186)   #29
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hehe! Thanx for the warning EP!!

Thanx also stephen, if i venture there, which is possible as brands is not far from home then I will let you know!
Old 1 Apr 2003, 20:08 (Ref:555237)   #30
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely effective communication is key to successful marshalling. Does careful application of people skills through the day not entice people back to try again? I've certainly had terrible experiences.. and not surprised that people aren't keen to return.

And then you must learn through the day also, I'm lucky enough to marshal with considerate and experienced (counted 278 years of marshalling on our post at Combe last week) fellow marshals and always come away having learnt that little bit more.

I'm a volunteer, I'm not there to be told / ordered what to do all day long, it needs to be handled properly by all those marshals at a senior level.

I think management of a post and communication skills of all marshals is a key issue, and those who are not used to managing people should be provided with support / training.

Or is that a bit over the top?
Old 1 Apr 2003, 20:32 (Ref:555268)   #31
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with u there!
Old 1 Apr 2003, 23:22 (Ref:555381)   #32
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When I first started flagging, I made a point of telling the observer or any other flag marshals I was relatively inexperienced and would be grateful for any comments of advice they could offer me during the day. As a result, I think I got reasonably good at it quite quickly. The same goes for any other discipline. Many people are wary of seeming to be critical of others who are volunteers for fear of putting them off, but if you invite comment from the start of the day you'll be amazed at how much feedback you get. And remember, ask lots of questions whenever you're at all unsure. We're all learning all the time, some of the best lessons I've learned are because a trainee asked me a question which made me think about the answer.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 20:06 (Ref:556398)   #33
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
When I first started flagging, I made a point of telling the observer or any other flag marshals I was relatively inexperienced and would be grateful for any comments of advice they could offer me during the day. As a result, I think I got reasonably good at it quite quickly. The same goes for any other discipline. Many people are wary of seeming to be critical of others who are volunteers for fear of putting them off, but if you invite comment from the start of the day you'll be amazed at how much feedback you get. And remember, ask lots of questions whenever you're at all unsure. We're all learning all the time, some of the best lessons I've learned are because a trainee asked me a question which made me think about the answer.
The only stupid question when starting out is........

The one you don't ask!!!!!

ALL of us were novices once and the best of us never forget that!!!

NO-ONE is an expert on their first day, but they may aspire to be so. Only one way to learn but it's in full view of the less-knowledgable!!!

Don't critisise what you've never done!!!