Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Feb 2016, 04:46 (Ref:3617869)   #51
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
Still more exciting then GT racing
Lol........nice try.
Old 26 Feb 2016, 23:37 (Ref:3618133)   #52
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Bowe has a habit of subtly talking up the efforts of current and past employers.

Not sure exactly how to read into his insights here?
Old 26 Feb 2016, 23:38 (Ref:3618134)   #53
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well the main points are factual so you don't need to read into them at all.
Old 27 Feb 2016, 04:23 (Ref:3618165)   #54
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Mr Bowe has a habit of subtly talking up the efforts of current and past employers.

Not sure exactly how to read into his insights here?
Yeah it's a puff piece by the v8sc PR department to try and defend the v8 brand. Bowe as an employee of v8sc falls into line.
Old 27 Feb 2016, 04:43 (Ref:3618166)   #55
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Yeah it's a puff piece by the v8sc PR department to try and defend the v8 brand. Bowe as an employee of v8sc falls into line.
Gee, not very nice DRT, are you really sure of your facts here?
Old 27 Feb 2016, 05:08 (Ref:3618167)   #56
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Gee, not very nice DRT, are you really sure of your facts here?
Facts? Meh, any other point of view goes against the predetermined agenda.
Old 27 Feb 2016, 05:24 (Ref:3618168)   #57
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Facts? Meh, any other point of view goes against the predetermined agenda.
Thanks for reminding me dsg, I know that JB does a hell of a job for his sponsors which is why they keep backing him, but to write his opinion off is such a way fails to recognise the contribution he makes to the sport we all love.
Old 27 Feb 2016, 11:38 (Ref:3618217)   #58
Beages
Rookie

Beages should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
You bag him because he is supporting V8 Supercars. End of story.
Old 27 Feb 2016, 23:33 (Ref:3618320)   #59
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Disappointed with the JB bashing.If you think he is a V8SA synchophant you have very short memories.He was highly critical of V8SA's "greed"(his words not mine) on Facebook last year after the Phillip Island TCM fiasco.He genuinely really likes V8 racing regardless of commercial considerations.
I agree with him that GT3 will never be able to take over as Australia's professional tin top category(I hesitate to say touring car because they are really sports cars).Where I disagree with him is the long term(5 years +) future of the existing structure.A big part of the current fan base is rusted on to a type of car that is past history.There is no Australian automotive industry to support racing.Despite the playing with numbers that V8SA do and is parroted here crowds at most events have been significantly falling and viewing numbers at the non FTA live rounds have crashed and this is hurting teams retaining and chasing sponsors.
I can see a future where the sport returns to a pre 1997 structure because that is all that will be sustainable for most stakeholders.
Old 27 Feb 2016, 23:44 (Ref:3618324)   #60
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple fact is GT3 cars are closer to the touring car foundations of what V8 Supercars cashes in on than they are.
Old 28 Feb 2016, 00:08 (Ref:3618327)   #61
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
.A big part of the current fan base is rusted on to a type of car that is past history.There is no Australian automotive industry to support racing.Despite the playing with numbers that V8SA do and is parroted here crowds at most events have been significantly falling and viewing numbers at the non FTA live rounds have crashed and this is hurting teams retaining and chasing sponsors.
I can see a future where the sport returns to a pre 1997 structure because that is all that will be sustainable for most stakeholders.
That is a very good summation of the problem Alan.
There just doesn't seem to be any research as to what proportion of the fan base is attracted by which feature of V8SC racing, and more importantly what is required to attract new young fans.
a) Let's arbitrarily divide up the existing fan base 3 ways.
The event, spectacle, excitement crowd who are there purely for an entertaining exciting day out. Not really affected by the type of cars, team or driver loyalty etc. so long as it is close, preferably loud and supported by plenty of hoopla and promotion. No particular loyalty to motorsport, would go to any sports event that provides a good show.
b) The driver, team or marque loyalty crowd. These are the parity at all costs people provide their driver, team or marque has just a little advantage. Tend, like soccer crowds, to be vocal and dedicated. Will probably be last to stop turning up.
c) The car or motorsport crowd who are interested in the technical challenge, while enjoying close racing they want to see both car, team engineers and driver given the ability to demonstrate their relevant superiority. We have just about parity checked or BOP'd these fans out of any further interest in V8SC and risk doing so with GT3.
JB sums up the good things about V8SC pretty well but I think he ignores the fact that many of us have reached the stage that we think that the racing, while close, is being "Paritied" and manipulated to the stage where it is just another circus with no real "motorsport" content.
And at my age I'm not going to get into how we attract the new generation of teenagers to our events, and onto our screens, without some very imaginative and creative new engineering and technical breakthroughs.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 02:23 (Ref:3619467)   #62
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How much does it cost for you to have a complete spare GT3-R in your truck?

http://autoaction.com.au/clipsals-ca...04021419653102

The guys going racing in GT-land obviously not short of a quid.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 03:23 (Ref:3619476)   #63
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post

As soon as I saw this comment I just knew deep down that it had to be that car/driver.
Andrew should be top of the pops as he has had so many hits over the last few years--it is lucky that he has a frequent user card with Porsche Spare Parts. Must be getting a fair discount now because of the regular purchases.
I had seen some glimpses of an improved driver last year with some great results with his young protégé Brad Shiels.
Now there is a young driver with a huge talent and a very suitable demeanour and he must be absolutely biting his tongue at the moment.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 01:51 (Ref:3619746)   #64
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah young Brad is all class. Dealt with him and his family a lot in sports sedans and I can't speak highly enough of them
Old 9 Mar 2016, 02:46 (Ref:3621410)   #65
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Andrew is a very successful businessman. There is a running joke around the traps I frequent that IMAK stands for I Make A Killing; doubly funny when you know how he makes his money.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 05:22 (Ref:3621426)   #66
old fart
Racer

Australia
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Andrew is a very successful businessman. There is a running joke around the traps I frequent that IMAK stands for I Make A Killing; doubly funny when you know how he makes his money.
Guess the import price of meat and other foods has just risen for our friends in PNG.
Andrew has worked very hard through all sorts of political and logistical issues to now have a highly successful meat and food distribution operation.
It's a pity he has not had the same degree of success overall in his motor sport activities despite having some exceptional vehicles.

I saw Brad doing driver coaching at the v8Race drivedays immediately after the 12 hour and talking to some of those he coached as well as a couple of 'mature age' coaches I know there is high regard for his ability and maturity. Let's hope he doesn't end up in Supercars.
I can see him heading off o/s some time down the track to further his career.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 23:24 (Ref:3621723)   #67
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
Guess the import price of meat and other foods has just risen for our friends in PNG.
Andrew has worked very hard through all sorts of political and logistical issues to now have a highly successful meat and food distribution operation.
It's a pity he has not had the same degree of success overall in his motor sport activities despite having some exceptional vehicles.

I saw Brad doing driver coaching at the v8Race drivedays immediately after the 12 hour and talking to some of those he coached as well as a couple of 'mature age' coaches I know there is high regard for his ability and maturity. Let's hope he doesn't end up in Supercars.
I can see him heading off o/s some time down the track to further his career.
Why is there an aversion to accepting driving a V8Supercar as a career choice?

A full time professional, paid drive in your home country in the top level category in that market sounds pretty sweet to me..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Mar 2016, 00:17 (Ref:3621731)   #68
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Look at Scott Pye, Marcos Ambrose, Jason Bright, Craig Lowndes, even Russell Ingall.

They had a go overseas, not everybody can make a go of it - plenty of time to have a V8Supercar career.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 02:39 (Ref:3621748)   #69
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

A full time professional, paid drive in your home country in the top level category in that market sounds pretty sweet to me..
No doubt its a sweet gig but it's like saying Adam Scott is content to be the best golfer in Australia and will only be playing here. If the kid has talent, I'd hope he'd at least try and crack the world stage somewhere, as Mixer says, nothing wrong with coming back to V8 Supercars if/when it didn't work out.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 08:05 (Ref:3621785)   #70
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Look at Scott Pye, Marcos Ambrose, Jason Bright, Craig Lowndes, even Russell Ingall.

They had a go overseas, not everybody can make a go of it - plenty of time to have a V8Supercar career.
You can add James Courtney and the Davison brothers to that list, too.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 08:07 (Ref:3621786)   #71
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
You can add James Courtney and the Davison brothers to that list, too.
Yeah duh forgot the guy who really did nearly make it to f1 until that suspension failure...
Old 10 Mar 2016, 08:50 (Ref:3621795)   #72
old fart
Racer

Australia
Quote:

Your emphasis GTR Magic.
My emphasis in respect of Brad was his versatility and the fact that he should go oversees to hone his skills in the numerous series that really provide weekly bum in seat time amongst other top talent from around the globe - you never know we may have a future world champion in the making.
Whether or not he ends up in Supercars is a matter of choice but exposure to numerous types and classes of vehicles can only be of benefit.
To be awarded the Colin Bond Trophy for the most versatile driver in NSW in 2016 indicates that he has the potential to do great things.