Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 21 Feb 2015, 17:46 (Ref:3507409)   #1
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is the choice of new cars so rubbish?

I haven't posted on ten-tenths for a while, but I'm thinking about getting a new car, and I'm just flabbergasted at how dull and derivative all the new cars out there are, and I wondered if it was just me.

It seems to me that if you want an MPV or an executive saloon, you're laughing, but if you want something smaller or a little bit fun, you may as well go **** up a rope!

Currently I've got a convertible Mini, because 3 years ago I had the same problem, and settled on the Mini as at least having character (although the boot is rubbish, it drives like a tank, and for such a big car - yes, big - it has remarkably little storage space). Previously we had a convertible Smart, but the engines don't last much beyond 50,000mls, and the new shape Smarts are, in my view, pig ugly, boxy, and getting worse every year.

No-one seems to make an attractive, sporty, small car anymore, especially a convertible. Any thoughts?
Old 21 Feb 2015, 17:58 (Ref:3507411)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
GT86?
Old 21 Feb 2015, 22:07 (Ref:3507488)   #3
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fiesta or Focus ST? Or any of the other many hot hatches?

Alfa 4C?

Wait for the new MX5 later this year? Looks like a cracker, but won't be any better for boot space.

BMW 1/2M?

I'm not in the market, but I buy Top Gear magazine and it seems like a reasonable time for new cars at the moment, compared to 10 years ago. Quite a few powerful turbo engines out the, manufacturers using light weight, high strength materials to boost chassis rigidity while saving weight. Maybe have a flick through a few reviews and see if anything jumps out.
Old 22 Feb 2015, 13:22 (Ref:3507643)   #4
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps I should have specified 'affordable'. And in my book the Mini was *barely* affordable.

GT86 and 4C are lovely cars but out of my league! If money were no object, I'd get an RCZ or an F-type.

And this stuff about "lightweight, high strength" materials - if these are effective, why are so many new cars so much fatter than their older siblings? Ford Fiesta being a case in point - it became so huge they introduced the Ka as a new small car, and now, what do you know, the new Ka looks bigger than the old Fiesta!

But why no new Street Ka? And why aren't Daihatsu marketing the new Copen in Europe?

I quite like the idea of the Fiat 500, but (apart from the Ferrari association) I rented one on holiday, and the doors were so heavy I nearly lost my foot getting out of the car!

Perhaps I'm just getting old and grumpy.
Old 22 Feb 2015, 13:42 (Ref:3507646)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I have become quite disillusioned with everyday road cars. Take a look at any of the BTCC road car versions, virtually every one of them has the looks of a pig. Maybe the Audi is the only one which I think isn't too bad, but even the Audi isn't great.
Old 22 Feb 2015, 14:07 (Ref:3507652)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why is the choice of new cars so rubbish?

While I know what you mean, there is oddly more choice than ever due to the current method of platform sharing. Every conceivable version is made on a platform whether they are wanted or not.
Take the Mini as your example. And you bought one, a convertible, there is no hope for you

Having said that I do know what you mean. What grabs you as fun nowadays? Not a great deal.
They are all very big. The lightweight materials has had an impact, but it has only partially offset the size increase due to safety measures and customer demand. The cars are starting to stay the same size and the weight savings are benefiting fuel and performance.

I drove a Fiesta with the ecoboost engine and liked it. It was good fun. You're right it is now old Focus size. Indeed we drove it as a potential replacement for an old Focus.

What about a Panda, the thinking man's 500? Sorry, I sound like James May. Unless, of course you need the 500C

On the smart I drove a couple of prototypes of this at Daimler's test track. If you are driving in town it'll be a hoot, the turning circle of the new car is incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
GT86?
I went for this. Wow. I can fully recommend it. There are some good offers out there at the moment. For some reason it doesn't look like it is a big seller despite the reviews being so positive and correct! It does feel like it is a car built ten years ago, but as a drivers car it is spot on.

It seems the market doesn't care about driving, it cares about random niches, heavy toys and massive stupid wheels.
Not surprisingly you're in the minority.
However happy choosing, let us know what you go for.
Old 22 Feb 2015, 15:01 (Ref:3507665)   #7
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This sounds like a challenge. What's the realistic budget?
Old 22 Feb 2015, 23:15 (Ref:3507844)   #8
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I want a Fiesta ST soooooo bad.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 17:14 (Ref:3508072)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The GT86/BRZ is highly recommended. Loads of fun and it reminds you of the days when you had simple, uncomplicated sports cars. It is not a horsepower car which aggrieves some people, but to do that would jack the price up. It's just a great handling car that is fun to drive on twisty 2 lane roads.

These days I am often not pleased with what is out there. It seems these days the utility vehicles reign supreme and how good the "infotainment" system is seems to be most important.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 19:55 (Ref:3508118)   #10
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The concept of "Choice" seems most often to be presented only when the reality of "choice" is being quietly taken away.

I blame the press.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 20:24 (Ref:3508123)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i've driven a decent selection of the small diesel cars as hire cars over the past year or so. my favourite, oddly, has been the renault clio, closely followed by the peugeot 20-something. the clio was silly amounts of fun on mountain roads and comfortable on motorways, but the peugeot was slightly better on fuel. quite liked the ds3 as well and it was excellent on fuel, but that had terrible build quality, was massively uncomfortable and it took me days to figure out why it smelt of mango (built in air freshener). the fiat 500 is ok, but the interior looks like an avant garde petrol station toilet with all that plastic and if you have a heavy suitcase sliding around in the back it seriously affects handling.

i do agree though, new cars are rubbish, the visibility is naff because of the safety tests and they really are flippin' huge. i love audi's but lbr, the good ones are only affordable second hand.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 22:20 (Ref:3508174)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I normally use a 2014 VW Polo petrol when I'm in Spain, good MPG handles and goes well with no problems.
It depends what type of driving you normally do and on what type of surfaces as I often go on unmade roads so steel wheels and high profile tyres are what I need.
Personally I wouldn't go for a diesel as problems with DPFs and injection systems cost a fortune to repair ! although they can do a few more MPGs the price between the two fuels is too great to make any difference in running cost with new petrol powered cars size for size.
I suppose if you buy a new car with a decent warranty and can afford to change it when it's running out then that's the way to go

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 23 Feb 2015 at 22:44.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Feb 2015, 01:26 (Ref:3508216)   #13
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
New cars are expensive to build.

To be profitable, they need to sell millions of units.

To sell, manufacturers build vainilla cars. Resaonable but boring.

The larger a manufacturer becomes, the more they avoid risks.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 06:25 (Ref:3508268)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
have you been looking at a Korean car. They are bringing out some quirky vehicles with reasonable power and handling at affordable prices and long warrantys

But yes, the days of cheerful convertibles seems to have passed on the new car market
Old 26 Feb 2015, 00:57 (Ref:3509074)   #15
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I want a Fiesta ST soooooo bad.
Test drove one, they are not the great car they once were. Shame really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
The GT86/BRZ is highly recommended. Loads of fun and it reminds you of the days when you had simple, uncomplicated sports cars. It is not a horsepower car which aggrieves some people, but to do that would jack the price up. It's just a great handling car that is fun to drive on twisty 2 lane roads.
Have to agree, drove a few and they are brilliant sports cars. They are so much fun. Might have to ditch the new V8 and grab one of these mid-sized Toyotas.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 16:53 (Ref:3509320)   #16
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Test drove one, they are not the great car they once were. Shame really.
Y'all must have gotten a different Fiesta than we have because this is the first one we've gotten that wasn't a total crapbox. I think the ST is an epic little car.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 22:21 (Ref:3509427)   #17
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Y'all must have gotten a different Fiesta than we have because this is the first one we've gotten that wasn't a total crapbox. I think the ST is an epic little car.
Really wanted a car, went through looking at "crapboxes" and bought a pick up truck, manual rear wheel drive decent size engine and not full of unnecessary crap. Job done!

Last edited by wnut; 26 Feb 2015 at 22:35.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 23:17 (Ref:3509451)   #18
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peugeot seem to have hit upon the right formula (for their shareholders).

They realised there's no point going to the expense of making good cars anymore.

Instead they're saving a fortune by making irredeemably **** cars and selling them to people who won't notice.
Old 27 Feb 2015, 10:09 (Ref:3509588)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Have to agree, drove a few and they are brilliant sports cars. They are so much fun. Might have to ditch the new V8 and grab one of these mid-sized Toyotas.
The lack of grunt is annoying though. Maybe a trip to a tuner & weld a WRX-spec turbo on the side could be fun
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Feb 2015, 12:03 (Ref:3509627)   #20
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
They realised there's no point going to the expense of making good cars anymore.
Instead they're saving a fortune by making irredeemably **** cars and selling them to people who won't notice.
isn't this the case with 95% of French cars though?
Old 27 Feb 2015, 12:20 (Ref:3509633)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
isn't this the case with 95% of French cars though?
Wonder how much RBR agree with you, about engines anyway
Old 27 Feb 2015, 12:36 (Ref:3509640)   #22
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post

I would hardly describe the 208 and 2008 with asterisks.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 04:51 (Ref:3511006)   #23
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about the Twingo, assuming Renaultsport do a version?
Old 3 Mar 2015, 08:30 (Ref:3511051)   #24
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Has anyone driven a Hyundai Veloster?
Old 3 Mar 2015, 09:58 (Ref:3511079)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
When does the new Civic Type R turbo come out? Another year's wait down here