Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2017, 19:07 (Ref:3721948)   #301
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't get the impression he's ready to quit F1. He's always come across as a professional, so I think he would be inclined too tough it out and either look to the Mercedes seat or possibly go back to Ferrari, depending on how the new car and Kimi perform. There's always IndyCar,
It's hard to say. My memory is short, so I am talking recent history and he seems to be "mostly professional" in that in general he says the right (aka scripted) things when talking to a reporter. Maybe not as good as a Button was. But in those scenarios in which you ARE doing the right thing and saying what your boss wants you to say, it also means your true feelings are hidden.

He seems to be more and more vocal about his displeasure these days. Time is running out for him to be in a competitive car that can bring him another WDC. But... I still don't see him bailing out mid-season unless that is part of him walking away from F1. There is no real benefit for him to bail mid-season and expect to remain in the sport. It just sends the wrong message to any future team and sponsor.

I believe the oldest drivers in F1 today are Kimi (37), Massa (36) and Alonso at (35 going on 36 in a few months). How much longer is his F1 career going to last?

Richard
Old 27 Mar 2017, 21:33 (Ref:3721978)   #302
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, I don't think they can compete.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 21:47 (Ref:3721982)   #303
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Interesting comment by Mark Webber who is pretty close to Alonso, suggesting that Fernando might not see out the year at McLaren...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...re-end-of-year
Some pressure applied from Mr Alonso's mate Potsie to see if *something* will give Honda the kick in the tail they need?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Mar 2017, 23:24 (Ref:3721999)   #304
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
It's hard to say. My memory is short, so I am talking recent history and he seems to be "mostly professional" in that in general he says the right (aka scripted) things when talking to a reporter. Maybe not as good as a Button was. But in those scenarios in which you ARE doing the right thing and saying what your boss wants you to say, it also means your true feelings are hidden.

He seems to be more and more vocal about his displeasure these days. Time is running out for him to be in a competitive car that can bring him another WDC. But... I still don't see him bailing out mid-season unless that is part of him walking away from F1. There is no real benefit for him to bail mid-season and expect to remain in the sport. It just sends the wrong message to any future team and sponsor.

I believe the oldest drivers in F1 today are Kimi (37), Massa (36) and Alonso at (35 going on 36 in a few months). How much longer is his F1 career going to last?

Richard
They all do the PR bit, though Lulu makes it pretty clear when he's unhappy; that's what I mean by being professional and he hasn't had to deal with a dog of a car for the last two years. Indeed, Button was the ultimate Gent.

True, not much time left for Alonso.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 07:48 (Ref:3722072)   #305
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Some pressure applied from Mr Alonso's mate Potsie to see if *something* will give Honda the kick in the tail they need?
I'm quite sure Alonso is using his good old mate Webber as a mouth-piece to say the more harsher things that Alonso cannot say publicly himself.......a bit like Bernie used Eddie Jordan in the same way......I really dont blame alonso, as Honda clearly are a bunco of space cadets who have no idea how F1 works, McLarens gripe about Hondas lack of understanding about deadlines is classic for me.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 14:16 (Ref:3722177)   #306
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Note to Honda - we need something like the NSX not the Jazz for F1. Okay?
Old 28 Mar 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3722184)   #307
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
I think the NSX was delayed quite a bit, while I suspect the Jazz/Fit was delivered on time. We probably need more Jazz than NSX!

Richard
Old 28 Mar 2017, 15:14 (Ref:3722187)   #308
godlameroso
Racer

godlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgodlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you catch them on a good year Hondas are great cars. They always have interesting little design flaws, like the C35 engines, and the original CVCC, and the 07MY s2000. But when they got it right, man great bullet proof well performing cars that are fun to drive, and have very nice engineering touches.

Who knows, it may be that they stumble onto a solution that shoves them up the grid, wouldn't it be something if they turn it around.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 15:33 (Ref:3722194)   #309
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by godlameroso View Post
If you catch them on a good year Hondas are great cars. They always have interesting little design flaws, like the C35 engines, and the original CVCC, and the 07MY s2000. But when they got it right, man great bullet proof well performing cars that are fun to drive, and have very nice engineering touches.

Who knows, it may be that they stumble onto a solution that shoves them up the grid, wouldn't it be something if they turn it around.
I hope they can turn it around. F1 needs another constructor/engine combination to challenge Mercedes and what looks like a resurgent Ferrari.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 21:57 (Ref:3722280)   #310
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
A Jazz has magic seats that lift out. Quite handy for Mr Alonso & Mr Van Doorne right now to have that option in their McLarens
Old 29 Mar 2017, 14:22 (Ref:3722429)   #311
godlameroso
Racer

godlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgodlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I've been hearing the engine is responsible for a 1.7 second deficit, and the rest is down to the chassis. Granted things are not so simple, because if your car has more power you put more energy in the tires and can make the fronts work better.(Alonso & Vandoorne complained of understeer)

If you have more power you don't have to fuel save as much, so again you can attack corners more aggressively as opposed to lift and coast which may take the brakes out of their window. At the same time the McLaren chassis like the Red Bull seems basic, nowhere near as developed as Mercedes or Ferrari.

I have a feeling that once the cars and power units start developing that the tide could very well swing in the other direction. Where perhaps Ferrari and Mercedes made cars so complex that it becomes difficult to develop them much further, where the other teams with more simple cars have bigger scope for development.
Old 30 Mar 2017, 06:26 (Ref:3722553)   #312
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Power and fuel come hand in hand, you don't have to save more fuel if you have more power.

Fuel flow is limited, engine efficiency makes the power diference. Sure, drivers must also save fuel because there is limited amount of fuel per race.
Old 30 Mar 2017, 18:57 (Ref:3722653)   #313
godlameroso
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
Power and fuel come hand in hand, you don't have to save more fuel if you have more power.

Fuel flow is limited, engine efficiency makes the power diference. Sure, drivers must also save fuel because there is limited amount of fuel per race.
Of course you're correct, there's also different levels of efficiency, what may be efficient for crank power may not be efficient for turbine recovery, and vice versa.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 20:06 (Ref:3722883)   #314
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A good background article by Ben Anderson of Autosport on Honda's woe's. It includes an interview with Honda's Yusuke Hasegawa.

http://classicplus.autosport.com/pre...494.1448115426

In it Hasegawa basically says that the source of the problem with the new engine is when it moved from a single cylinder prototype to 6 cylinder. It was at this stage that vibrations first appeared that are the source of the reliability problems. It seems that the new V6 first ran on the dyno at about Christmas. It was only when the engine made it into the car did they realize how bad the problems were.

As this new V6 is very different from the old one there would not seem to be any chance of using last years engine to solve the problems, for example the crank is lower and it now has a turbo/generator set up similar to Mercedes.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 22:25 (Ref:3722918)   #315
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah, that explains it, my old C90 cub was great, never thought of trying to turn it into a turbo V6 though!
Old 31 Mar 2017, 22:43 (Ref:3722919)   #316
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
Ah, that explains it, my old C90 cub was great, never thought of trying to turn it into a turbo V6 though!
It is my understanding that most of those involved in race engine design use single cylinder prototypes before moving on to multi cylinder versions.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 23:35 (Ref:3722927)   #317
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I think their may actually be some light at the end of this tunnel.

If Honda are committed enough to build a new engine to get around their problems, they should be committed enough to spend the money to sort their problems out, and the good news is now they can actually fix their mistakes.

Zak Brown apparently is relaxed! He is however sales and marketing speaking to media.

http://www.f1reader.com/news/brown-r...tivated-167341

Why McLaren should stick with Honda:

"My opinion, and it is an opinion held by many people within our organisation, is that you have no chance of winning the world championship if you are not receiving the best engines from whoever is manufacturing your engines." Ron Dennis

http://www.f1reader.com/news/why-mcl...a-power-167316

Must admit that I still think royally shafting Ron Dennis was a massive mistake that will continue to hurt McLaren though!

Last edited by wnut; 31 Mar 2017 at 23:44.
Old 1 Apr 2017, 04:08 (Ref:3722937)   #318
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't LMP 1 allow for the use of F1 spec power units?

If so, why the hell isnt a Dome running around with the Honda in it?
Old 1 Apr 2017, 07:19 (Ref:3722952)   #319
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Cadbury To McLaren?

Old 1 Apr 2017, 08:02 (Ref:3722960)   #320
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't hate it. In fact, it is a real shame about the date of the article, would be the livery of the year.
Old 1 Apr 2017, 08:52 (Ref:3722968)   #321
jwbuchanan
Rookie

jwbuchanan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is that the teapot manufacturer or fireguards?
Old 1 Apr 2017, 09:06 (Ref:3722972)   #322
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It will be Easter soon.
Old 1 Apr 2017, 11:37 (Ref:3722998)   #323
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Next there will be a cocktail sponsor in summer time
Old 1 Apr 2017, 11:44 (Ref:3723001)   #324
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
It will be Easter soon.
The Honda engine is a big goose egg so...
Old 1 Apr 2017, 17:50 (Ref:3723093)   #325
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Good April Fool....William Wonka head of confectionery!