JamesV8Fan
Rookie

Spain
Puigcerdà (Pyrenees)
JamesV8Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
66 points to 60.
Yeah you're right Perez totally destroyed him...
That's because of the poor performance from Pérez in the last races, after he announced his agreement with Mclaren. In my opinion, Kobayashi is not that driver who shone in Brazil few years ago.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 12:28 (Ref:3180058)   #602
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
The other thing with Chilton? Pastor Maldonado had mostly poor results in junior racing, but was capable in the right situation. Now he's a Grand Prix winner. I think Maldonado was always better than Chilton, and Marussia's obviously not the right situation. Just saying that, some of these guys who aren't "the best" can turn out okay. Not that I expect that.
this here. i, like many, have strong thoughts (mostly jealous ones, if i'm honest) against those who are lucky enough to have both unconditional support AND substantial wealth to back up their dreams and ambitions. but that's his lot in life, and i'm sure with it comes different pressures and expectations. so let's not judge too harshly. after all, his fortunate existance is paying for a fair number of others to live, feed their families and keep a roof over their heads.

i think everyone was muttering darkly under their breath about charles pic being out of his depth, and he isn't. aside from the obvious awkwardness, let's wait and see what happens.

THEN bring out the "i told you so's"
Old 19 Dec 2012, 23:33 (Ref:3180199)   #603
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Chilton didn't disgrace himself in F3 though I suppose. That category is usually a fairly good indicator of basic skills at least?

However, Pic is a class above him whatever the case, a front-runner in everything he did on the road to F1 so the comparison there isn't a fair one!

Problem as I see it is no-one is telling some of these drivers if they're not top line potential before they reach F1?

20 odd years ago some pretty well known drivers either had backing withdrawn, or basically retired so that they didn't embarrass themselves in F1.

Things have changed!
Old 20 Dec 2012, 01:55 (Ref:3180229)   #604
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JamesV8Fan - you're trying to use a driver's poor performance to explain why he 'destroyed' someone else?

That doesn't really make sense.
Perez got 6 more points, maybe if he hadn't have been awful in the last races it would have been more, but he was and it isn't.
No destruction there.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 02:18 (Ref:3180236)   #605
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't believe that 2012 is not gone and only two seats are to be confirmed for next year...
Old 20 Dec 2012, 12:25 (Ref:3180390)   #606
JamesV8Fan
Rookie

Spain
Puigcerdà (Pyrenees)
JamesV8Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
JamesV8Fan - you're trying to use a driver's poor performance to explain why he 'destroyed' someone else?

Perez got 6 more points, maybe if he hadn't have been awful in the last races it would have been more, but he was and it isn't.
No destruction there.
Maybe I was exagerating a bit :P However, I think that Koba is not that fast. We, the audience, enjoy watching his moves but, in my opinion, Kobayashi has not shown what he was supposed to. Let's wait for Guitierrez's debut and we will be able to compare.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 22:45 (Ref:3180597)   #607
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:

No destruction there.
There was a pretty yawning chasm in class between the two drivers though.

The points don't tell the full story. How many times di Checo get a podium or look like it was on compared to Kamui?

The last few races were poor for Perez but he'd already proved his worth.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 22:49 (Ref:3180599)   #608
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The last few races were poor for Perez but he'd already proved his worth.
When a driver drops off like this, I get worried and wonder what his worth is!

Racers race, pure and simple!
Old 20 Dec 2012, 23:00 (Ref:3180604)   #609
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
When a driver drops off like this, I get worried and wonder what his worth is!

Racers race, pure and simple!
Results weren't there but pace wise he was. Texas, came through strongly in race but strategy didn't work. Japan very quick but for accident, same in India.

Couple of rash moves but nothing to worry about, bit of impetuosity?

Kamui, Spa qualy and Suzuka podium aside just didn't deliver the same speed of consistency overall. Shame as I think he's good enough to be in F1 but not at any cost.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 23:38 (Ref:3180619)   #610
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Look at Kobys strategies. The team did him no favors. You could arguably say Perez was favored because his backing. They needed that money. Thats why Koby got the boot. He doesnt have the richest man in the world's giant checkbook behind him.
Old 21 Dec 2012, 07:33 (Ref:3180702)   #611
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

You could also venture that this backing helped run both drivers!

I don't think he got duff strategies, I mean there were several races where it didn't work for either driver yet Perez seemed to be able to persevere a little better with the hand he was dealt while poor Kamui languised.
Old 27 Dec 2012, 20:15 (Ref:3182284)   #612
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey folks,

Just two comments from me here: Get Kimi back in a McLaren, and Mitch Evans is coming through the single seater ranks. A typical laid back Kiwi: Just get the job done, no fuss, no stress. This guy is electric. Ripped them all to shreds in F3 this year. Next Kiwi F1 champion since Denny in '67.
McLaren lost the chance to get Scott Dixon who went to IRL and had alot of success and been at the pointy end for years. They better not let Mitch slip through their fingers.

If I was McLaren MD:
2013-2014: Kimi/Jenson (Keep Jense til he retires because he is brilliant)
2015-: Kimi/Mitch (Kimi no.1 driver)

Sorry not too concerned about the other teams. Have a great New Years all and a prosperous 2013.
Old 27 Dec 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3182313)   #613
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thought it was Williams who were fussed about Dixon, not Mclaren?
Old 28 Dec 2012, 00:30 (Ref:3182336)   #614
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mitch Evans looks like a talent, but has an awful long way to go before he is F1 material. The way he bumbled to the GP3 (not F3) title hardly constituted "ripping them to shreds" - in fact he was massively fortunate to be crowned champion in the end. I was rooting for him, but cringed as he shot himself in the foot.

He needs a solid couple of years in GP2 before he can think about anything else, and at the moment I don't believe he is affiliated to any team. Sure, Webber is his mentor but he wouldn't want to get sucked into the Red Bull talent vacuum with da Costa seemingly the next big thing.
Old 28 Dec 2012, 04:04 (Ref:3182349)   #615
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren is too regimented for Kimi.
Old 28 Dec 2012, 07:53 (Ref:3182370)   #616
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Too many PR days. That partly did it for Hamilton.

It's a shame to see Kobayashi out of a drive when the clumsy and not-that-quick Senna looks like getting another ride, but such is F1 life of course.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 01:33 (Ref:3182853)   #617
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post

It's a shame to see Kobayashi out of a drive when the clumsy and not-that-quick Senna looks like getting another ride, but such is F1 life of course.
Not quite the original is he

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xwZCqHpX7Q
Senna original F1 tests in 1983.

When will we get someone else with talent like Ayrton?
Old 30 Dec 2012, 12:18 (Ref:3182939)   #618
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post

Did Senna get a seat ???
Old 30 Dec 2012, 12:30 (Ref:3182941)   #619
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd read (maybe in this thread) that he was close to securing the other Caterham seat. It's between him and Petrov from what I saw, but only Caterham and the drivers probably know.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 19:30 (Ref:3183933)   #620
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/0...-is-ruled-out/

No Buemi or Alguersuari in at Force India then. I'm rather underwhelmed by Bianchi. I just don't see great accomplishment in his career so far to make him a good pick for an F1 team. Then again, who would have recommended Kobayashi for a seat based on his GP2 and he turned out to be worthy?

I don't see Sutil as all that good either - nothing more than good anyway (from what I've noticed).

Of course it's about more than driving though.

Last edited by Born Racer; 2 Jan 2013 at 19:35.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 20:22 (Ref:3183948)   #621
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think Force India's best choice is Sutil.. They have worked with him before and they know what they are going to get..

Just my two cents worth..
Old 2 Jan 2013, 21:01 (Ref:3183958)   #622
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Sutil is a known quantity but didn't set the world on fire. Bianchi might turn out to be very good, or might not - but teams are often tempted by the promise of the unknown.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 21:28 (Ref:3183959)   #623
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a Sutil - Bianchi seat share, with Jules conveniently doing any races that Adrian cannot because of what happened in China '11
Old 2 Jan 2013, 21:46 (Ref:3183961)   #624
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I think Force India's best choice is Sutil.. They have worked with him before and they know what they are going to get..
Sutil has a conviction in Germany and is going to have trouble moving around the EU, and possibly to China, the US and Australia on character grounds, I'm not sure he's going to get a seat.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 22:24 (Ref:3183978)   #625
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Sutil has a conviction in Germany and is going to have trouble moving around the EU
There are bagger all effective borders in the EU... Just drive from one to the next, except the UK.