Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Feb 2013, 17:11 (Ref:3205913)   #776
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Lots of questions on the subject of customer cars.
Indeed!

Quote:
Where would the cut off point be between those that are works teams and those that are customer teams?

Which teams are "low-end" teams?

Why would, for example, Williams want to spend many millions on their own car when it's possible to have a 'competitive' car for a fraction of their budget?
It's their choice and budget to decide. I'm fine with 5 constructors, but 7 would be better for the long term.

Quote:
could customer cars be upgraded or modified in any way?
Cost control is key. Check LMP2 and GT3 to see what works and what doesn't.

Quote:
Would customer cars be regulated so that it would not be possible for them to compete on equal terms with works cars?

Would there be enough competitive works cars to sell on to customer teams?
My proposal is that customer cars would be slower indeed. I propose a two-class F1, like MotoGP, with an expanded grid of 26-30 cars.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 17:15 (Ref:3205914)   #777
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
My proposal is that customer cars would be slower indeed. I propose a two-class F1, like MotoGP, with an expanded grid of 26-30 cars.
That's the last thing I'd want to see.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 17:35 (Ref:3205921)   #778
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I would not care for that idea ...
Old 16 Feb 2013, 22:17 (Ref:3205991)   #779
somebodysb2
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
somebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsomebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
MotoGP is a three class series.
Factory Honda v. Factory Yamaha
Factory Ducati v. Satellite D/H/Y
Claiming Rule Teams

Only difference between this and F1 is that MotoGP Class #2 will never be able to show everyone up like how Sauber/Williams did.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 23:58 (Ref:3206025)   #780
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There's an article in Autosport about Alguersuari and his lack of a drive this year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105588
There was an article in Motor Sport last year (written by Nigel Roebuck I think) making the case that if Alguersuari was worth his salt as a racing driver, he would have been competing in something after he lost his drive with Toro Rosso. I have to agree, and I admire Bruno Senna and Timo Glock for grasping the opportunity to continue racing this year.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 00:26 (Ref:3206029)   #781
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
That's the last thing I'd want to see.
But in the 1950s-1960s it was very common in F1. It seems that is a lot of distortion in our minds. That thing that every team should build their car is quite recently, it was coined in 1982.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 01:34 (Ref:3206048)   #782
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
But in the 1950s-1960s it was very common in F1. It seems that is a lot of distortion in our minds. That thing that every team should build their car is quite recently, it was coined in 1982.
The rule that everone had to build their own car was another Ferrari International Assisstance rule. If you can buy the leading chassis and fit your own engine to it, then constructors of inferior chassis are pushed down the order and out of the revenue. i.e. If five teams are running 10 RBR chassis then McLaren, Ferrari and Williams would probably not be in the points.

There would also be no need to pay stupendous prices to sponsor a front running car, you could just buy a competitive car and run it. The manufacturers would also be pitted against one another when it came to supplying competitive cars at a price.

c.f. Porsche supplying customer cars in endurance racing.

F1 is about maintaining the status quo, look what a raw deal the new teams get.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 08:45 (Ref:3206083)   #783
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The rule that everone had to build their own car was another Ferrari International Assisstance rule. If you can buy the leading chassis and fit your own engine to it, then constructors of inferior chassis are pushed down the order and out of the revenue. i.e. If five teams are running 10 RBR chassis then McLaren, Ferrari and Williams would probably not be in the points.

Do you seriously think this would happen?
Old 17 Feb 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3206132)   #784
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Do you seriously think this would happen?
No, I don't think it will happen, simply because F1's controlling interests will not allow it to happen.
Unregulated, I certainly believe it is possible. cf. Porsche.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 10:20 (Ref:3206144)   #785
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I would not care for that idea ...
If the second half of the grid is cheaper, it means two things. One, there can be more teams, so more drivers get to race in F1. Second, good drivers will have more chances to drive even if they don't bring sponsorship, because there are more cars and they get cheaper.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 10:43 (Ref:3206157)   #786
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No, I don't think it will happen, simply because F1's controlling interests will not allow it to happen.
Unregulated, I certainly believe it is possible. cf. Porsche.
Wait a second, I think I now read your comment in proper context. Your saying Ferrari/Mclaren/Williams would head towards the rear if Red Bull built 10 other current model cars. F1 turning into what I knew as CART. I was thinking of customer cars being year old models.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 10:49 (Ref:3206161)   #787
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Wait a second, I think I now read your comment in proper context. Your saying Ferrari/Mclaren/Williams would head towards the rear if Red Bull built 10 other current model cars. F1 turning into what I knew as CART. I was thinking of customer cars being year old models.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 10:51 (Ref:3206164)   #788
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why not allow the smaller teams, or teams looking to enter F1, lease cars from the establishment?

This would significantly reduce the cost of "joining in" and help ensure a competitive grid.It would also allow the major teams to off-set some cost and protect the ownership of their technology.

If a smaller team then decided to make their own car (like Tyrrell did) at some point in the future, then fine.

This would also sort out the Playboy teams from the long term serious.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3206207)   #789
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm not against having customer cars per se but I'm against the idea of customer cars being slower and having a two-class F1 grid, which I thought was what NaBUru38 was proposing in his post #776.

If you look back the F1 World Championship as we know it, it started in 1950. 1982 was 32 years later and 2013 is 31 years since 1982, so for nearly the second half of the F1 World Championship era, teams have been building their own chassis and it seems to have worked fairly well up to now and don't forget that for 1952 and '53 Formula 2 rules were briefly adopted.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 14:25 (Ref:3206212)   #790
RobbieD90
Rookie

United Kingdom
RobbieD90 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If the second half of the grid is cheaper, it means two things. One, there can be more teams, so more drivers get to race in F1. Second, good drivers will have more chances to drive even if they don't bring sponsorship, because there are more cars and they get cheaper.
is this not what GP2 is?
Old 17 Feb 2013, 21:59 (Ref:3206371)   #791
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
If you look back the F1 World Championship as we know it, it started in 1950. 1982 was 32 years later and 2013 is 31 years since 1982, so for nearly the second half of the F1 World Championship era, teams have been building their own chassis and it seems to have worked fairly well up to now and don't forget that for 1952 and '53 Formula 2 rules were briefly adopted.
Since 1996 we have the problem of grids that scarcely have got more than 20 cars, not much before, since 1992 backwards, we had a grid of 30+ cars...
Old 17 Feb 2013, 22:40 (Ref:3206398)   #792
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Since 1996 we have the problem of grids that scarcely have got more than 20 cars, not much before, since 1992 backwards, we had a grid of 30+ cars...
By the same token grids in the 1950s were not that dissimilar to current levels (notwithstanding the Indy 500).
Old 18 Feb 2013, 00:53 (Ref:3206473)   #793
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieD90 View Post
is this not what GP2 is?
WIth the difference that GP2 doesn't have an F1 logo or F1-size viewers. This means that teams get much less money from sponsors. So they can't hire the best drivers so easily, they need decent sponsors. Which leads to pay drivers again.

My point is: with the current budgets required to qualify within the 107%, you can't expect to have 20 non-pay drivers.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 09:05 (Ref:3206618)   #794
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Martin Whitmarsh has said,in typical McLaren gibberish,that 7 out of the 11 teams are in financial trouble and just about hanging on.

With a whole raft of changes coming next year, this will very likely push a few over the edge.

I firmly believe the next Concorde Agreement MUST gives the teams a larger slice of the cake and leased/purchased cars should be allowed.

As I've said before, we could have less than a dozen cars on the grid otherwise.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 11:19 (Ref:3206665)   #795
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
7 out of 11 are in trouble, yet none of the teams supported the drastic cost-cutting measures that were planned a couple of years ago, when the 3 new teams signed up.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 12:57 (Ref:3206679)   #796
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
That's surely down to the change in the economic climate. Back in early '90s motorsport was awash with money, particularly money from tobacco and teams, sponsors were spending hand over fist. The same happened in CART and it became unsustainable.

Now nearly some 20 years later, we've had the banking crisis, tobacco money has long gone and teams and sponsors can't spend excessively like they once did, hence the smaller grids.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 13:17 (Ref:3206690)   #797
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
That's surely down to the change in the economic climate. Back in early '90s motorsport was awash with money, particularly money from tobacco and teams, sponsors were spending hand over fist. The same happened in CART and it became unsustainable.

Now nearly some 20 years later, we've had the banking crisis, tobacco money has long gone and teams and sponsors can't spend excessively like they once did, hence the smaller grids.
If the the teams could sit down and agree a budget cap of between 50 and 100 million would leave the sport sustainable in the long term but what is the chance of that happening? Nill.

F1 generates (FOM) about £800 million each year. The teams get about 60% so in round figures £480 million divided by 12 teams is £40 million each. With a budget cap of say £70 million then the teams only need to find 30 for each season.

If they were to get 90% of the gross fiqure leaving Bernie with the rest for admin etc. then the teams could have £60 million each. I imagine many back of the grid teams would survive comfortably on that amount.

Last edited by wolfhound; 18 Feb 2013 at 13:31.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 23:22 (Ref:3206958)   #798
wnut
Veteran

Quote:

Crisis, what crisis!

http://www.pitpass.com/48404-2012-fi...rraris-history
Old 20 Feb 2013, 15:14 (Ref:3207953)   #799
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
The banking crisis back in 2008, which is still affecting the majority of Western economies.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 17:15 (Ref:3207995)   #800
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just proves that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer even at times of crisis. Ferraris are at a record selling level in the UK and the Conservatives want to cut benefits.