Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 16 Jun 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1330470)   #1
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richmond not on ABC or ESPN!?

I noticed that the US coverage of the next round at Richmond is not even going to be on ESPN, but on ESPN 2! This will be the third different channel in as many races and is, quite frankly, totally counter-productive.

The series organisers really need to be working harder towards establishing a greater degree of continuity in TV coverage for the series. I am not familiar with the ins and outs of the agreement but this situation is undermining the progress made in recent months.

At this stage, post-Indy, the order of the day should be consistency and continuity (e.g. all remaining races on one specific channel - period) above any attempts to channel hop for increased exposure. Those people who tuned back in for the 500 or Texas needed to know then that every other race this season could be found on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 (delete as applicable). Clearly that will not be the case.

Thoughts and comments folks? Especially for those watching through ABC/ESPN/ESPN2...
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1330613)   #2
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For once, I'm in full agreement with you jock!

How is it that simple fans like us seem to know whats wrong with this series, but the powers that be, the guys that get paid the big bucks, just can't figure it out? It's a no-brainer, that ABC should be televising these races to cash in, and keep the momentum going from the Indy 500. I mean pre-empt the reality TV summer reruns already! Take a shot and actually try and build this sport up!

There are far more couch potato channel surfers scanning ABC on any given day, than they are ESPN2, and action packed races like Texas, and Richmond surely have the ability to get some of them watching.

It is maddening isn't it?

Danica Patrick
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1330656)   #3
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a thought, but maybe getting a full network contract with ABC is no simple matter?

Perhaps the problem is easy to diagnose, but the solution may not be equally easy.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 17:49 (Ref:1330661)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Just a thought, but maybe getting a full network contract with ABC is no simple matter?

Perhaps the problem is easy to diagnose, but the solution may not be equally easy.
The IRL/ABC contract is 1007 pages long, and there are alot of inticacies to it, but if you look on page 310, paragraph 7, part A, of sub text II, it states very clearly that ABC can...

Just kidding. I'm sure it is much more complicated than we know, but you just have to think there is some flexibility written into it to capitalise on something like the Indy 500...

Danica Patrick
Old 16 Jun 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1330742)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
No broadcast whatsoever in Canada.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1331133)   #6
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen

Quite right.

I agree that the IRL needs network coverage more than ABC/ESPN needs to give it. However I do not believe that it is simply a case of the networks having all the cards and the IRL possessing nothing with which it can leverage a deal.

I believe myself and GP Racer are of the opinion that the IRL itself needs to do more to encourage/cajole the TV networks into agreeing deals that are more beneficial for the series. I know from experience that there are many things championship/event organisers & promoters can do in the way of "sweetners" for TV coverage - one of the most effective is where the entire production costs are incurred by the organiser, within pre-defined parameters, leaving the network to be just that...a network distributing the product. The advantage is the minimal financial outlay incumbent upon the network. For the IRL, the burden of these costs should not be damaging and the additional control over output, combined with guaranteed coverage would be hugely beneficial.

IMHO the networks in the US (and the IRL itself) do not view the championship as irrelevant enough to be tossed from channel to channel as if it were merely a "filler". Perhaps the IRL management need to reappraise their own valuation of the series as a TV product.
It is certainly of significant enough value to at least demand a structured and continuous TV deal with a network, if not perhaps quite in a position to target major networks (e.g. ABC). It is probably unlikely that much can be done for the rest of the 2005 season, but the IRL management must at least take something from the negative aspects of the US TV coverage to date.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 22:58 (Ref:1331163)   #7
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe ABC/Espn Its a pretty good deal, as ESPN and ESPN2 are both pretty much basic cable.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 23:21 (Ref:1331169)   #8
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
These TV listings say it's live on TSN.

Ted
Old 17 Jun 2005, 06:22 (Ref:1331276)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I stand corrected, Ted.
I thought the race was this weekend.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1331531)   #10
IronLion
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
IronLion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy

wow thats rough, we even get all the races here in Australia. most of the time live with a reply later that night.

We only have 1 espn channel here though all the irl races are shown on it for the whole season. So for us there isnt any changing of channels week in and week out.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 15:06 (Ref:1331604)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IronLion - that's been corrected - it is available in Canada.

Here in the UK, Sky Sports show every race.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1331694)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2 in 3 races are live.