Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 25 Dec 2019, 15:42 (Ref:3948537)   #2551
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Can you keep us updated on this book, please?
I searched for Andrew Cotton and his previous works, but couldn't find any besides a few Haynes workshop manuals and Porsche Motorsport yearbooks.
Old 25 Dec 2019, 17:09 (Ref:3948542)   #2552
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
The Le Mans 24 hours race by MIchael Cotton
Published 1989 by Patrick Stephens Ltd

Michael Cotton is a former Endurance Racing journalist from Motor Sport magazine and I believe was also sometime editor of Motoring News
Old 26 Dec 2019, 06:12 (Ref:3948576)   #2553
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
The Le Mans 24 hours race by MIchael Cotton
Published 1989 by Patrick Stephens Ltd

Michael Cotton is a former Endurance Racing journalist from Motor Sport magazine and I believe was also sometime editor of Motoring News
I have a copy of that book
Andrew Cotton, not so much.
Old 26 Dec 2019, 09:39 (Ref:3948586)   #2554
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
I have a copy of that book
Andrew Cotton, not so much.
Andrew is Michael's son.............Michael is enjoying a well deserved retirement.

Andrew is the editor of RaceCar Engineering and contributes to many other magazines around the world. He is recognised as one of the premier writers on the endurance sportscar scene.

He was commissioned by Stéphane Ratel to write this celebration of a quarter of a century of GT Racing

https://www.chaters.co.uk/prod/20248...s-of-gt-racing

I understand that there are several other books in the pipeline.

The Bentley book will be published in the Spring.

I will keep you appraised of the progress.
Old 26 Dec 2019, 11:37 (Ref:3948601)   #2555
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A slipcased Bentley approved book sounds like remortgage time to me........
Old 26 Dec 2019, 14:53 (Ref:3948612)   #2556
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
A slipcased Bentley approved book sounds like remortgage time to me........
I am confidant that it will be more affordable than some of the excellent volumes that have appeared this year.

I will keep this thread updated.
Old 28 Dec 2019, 18:48 (Ref:3948818)   #2557
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone else get anything Le Mans related for Christmas? I got socks, a set of 4 pairs in the colours of the factory Ford GT40s from 1966 from my son. Proves he was well brought up ☺☺ Sean
Old 30 Dec 2019, 16:39 (Ref:3949077)   #2558
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was sorted at Heeltread too... My sons both have Mazda, their girlfriends have Pink Pig and I have BMW and Senna.....
Old 30 Dec 2019, 16:39 (Ref:3949078)   #2559
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I also have the complete set of Shell's salt water racers.....
Old 31 Dec 2019, 10:00 (Ref:3949178)   #2560
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I also have the complete set of Shell's salt water racers.....
Those are really cool! I hope that we will see that campaign in Denmark as well
Old 31 Dec 2019, 10:40 (Ref:3949185)   #2561
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, four cars, loads of salt water batteries, two 'ordinary' batteries and two sets of track.....
Old 31 Dec 2019, 10:47 (Ref:3949188)   #2562
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yep, four cars, loads of salt water batteries, two 'ordinary' batteries and two sets of track.....
Sweet! The salt water batteries are cool, but are they truly only one-time-use?
Old 31 Dec 2019, 10:51 (Ref:3949190)   #2563
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
NO. You use them over and over again. Have to clean the contacts afterwards. They're a lot less powerful than the ordinary batteries, but that may be because I haven't got the salt/water ratio right yet!
Old 31 Dec 2019, 11:40 (Ref:3949196)   #2564
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
NO. You use them over and over again. Have to clean the contacts afterwards. They're a lot less powerful than the ordinary batteries, but that may be because I haven't got the salt/water ratio right yet!
Awesome! Just saw a video claiming that they are single use, so great to hear it is not the case.
Really hope to see them in Denmark then!
Old 31 Dec 2019, 13:28 (Ref:3949216)   #2565
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Wouldn't be a lot of point to them being single use. If you only bought one car you could only run it once! Actually twice, as you get two batteries with each car. But only running it once wouldn't be much of a 'green' achievement would it? (You also get a filling tube where the standard amounts of water and salt are enough to fill the cars about 50 times.....).
Old 17 Jan 2020, 10:21 (Ref:3952063)   #2566
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
If anyone finds themselves in Italy - https://musei.ferrari.com/en/maranel...ferrari-museum
Old 19 Mar 2020, 17:42 (Ref:3965582)   #2567
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well if you are looking for a le mans fix the programme on BBC4 last night "steve Macqueen the man and le mans" really good you must see it
Old 19 Mar 2020, 22:27 (Ref:3965658)   #2568
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah, I forgot to record it, so I have started watching it on iPlayer, interesting stuff
Old 31 Mar 2020, 15:17 (Ref:3967844)   #2569
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...-in-lmdh-class

some good news for a change
Old 31 Mar 2020, 20:12 (Ref:3967884)   #2570
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
It reminds me of that episode of Star Trek TNG, where the crew starts de-evolving to more primitive forms of life. You know, Porsche AG running spec Oreca 07 chassis with performance balanced glued-on 911 body panels, ~1MJ spec hybrid system and spec tires - such engineering de-evolution from 919 Hybrid, RS Spyder and 911 GT1

Last edited by Deleted; 31 Mar 2020 at 20:28.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 10:39 (Ref:3968188)   #2571
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I received some sad news last evening. A very good old friend died late on Tuesday night. Noone here (other than Bentley03, AllonFS or tonypowe knew him) but some will have heard me talk of my trips to Le Mans in years past with 'The Tourists'. Ian was the 'Chief Tourist' and I had known him for the best part of 40 years, originally in a professional capacity. He went down with cancer 4-5 years ago and sadly lost the battle on Tuesday. The only saving grace was that he died at home with his family. With everything else that's going on, I guess there will be no possibility of attending his funeral either....
Old 2 Apr 2020, 10:49 (Ref:3968193)   #2572
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
I received some sad news last evening. A very good old friend died late on Tuesday night. Noone here (other than Bentley03, AllonFS or tonypowe knew him) but some will have heard me talk of my trips to Le Mans in years past with 'The Tourists'. Ian was the 'Chief Tourist' and I had known him for the best part of 40 years, originally in a professional capacity. He went down with cancer 4-5 years ago and sadly lost the battle on Tuesday. The only saving grace was that he died at home with his family. With everything else that's going on, I guess there will be no possibility of attending his funeral either....
Sorry to hear Ayse. I know in Denmark an extra funeral will be offered once the situation is over, so more people are able to attend. I hope the same will be offered for you and all who knew him.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 11:55 (Ref:3968200)   #2573
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
What a lovely idea. Fingers crossed then....
Old 2 Apr 2020, 13:26 (Ref:3968216)   #2574
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I know the feeling. My brother-in-law is currently under the care of hospice, at the bitter end of his battle with cancer. I feel terrible that I cannot be there with my sister and my nephew, but they are all the way on the opposite coast, and they are sheltered in place. Besides the fact it wouldn't be a good idea to get a group of people together right now.

I do recall reading about the Tourists in your blog posts, and your friend Ian. I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 15:29 (Ref:3968242)   #2575
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Sorry to hear that news Andrew, suspect over the last 35 years i may have walked past him at le mans. please pass on the regards of all le mans regulars for a fellow fan of the great race.