Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jul 2017, 17:11 (Ref:3753378)   #126
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
This whole circuit grades thing amuses me. What grade is Monaco? What grade is Singapore or Baku? Not many 10 acre tarmac run off zones on any of those tracks... Why do the street circuits get a free pass, but the road courses have to be butchered to "fit F1"?
Old 21 Jul 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3753383)   #127
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
This whole circuit grades thing amuses me. What grade is Monaco? What grade is Singapore or Baku? Not many 10 acre tarmac run off zones on any of those tracks... Why do the street circuits get a free pass, but the road courses have to be butchered to "fit F1"?
That's a good question and one I've asked my self many a time. A US GP at Laguna Seca or Road America would be amazing but it will never happen because the tracks don't meet F1's 'criteria', so what's so special about F1?
Old 22 Jul 2017, 12:50 (Ref:3753514)   #128
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
A US GP West at Laguna would be fantastic. Imagine an F1 car through the corkscrew.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 14:38 (Ref:3753533)   #129
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well Charlie Whiting did visit the circuit recently and did mention that it might be able to host a GP, IIRC
Old 22 Jul 2017, 18:51 (Ref:3753566)   #130
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Laguna isn't big enough and is too dangerous in the current format.

That Virgina int'l raceway looks modern and interesting but isnt it in the middle of nowhere?

Whatever happened to Heartland Park or Road Atlanta?

Jerez must be another grade 1 or 2 circuit?
Old 22 Jul 2017, 22:25 (Ref:3753651)   #131
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The latest list of FIA circuit grading is to be found at http://www.fia.com/circuit-safety

Jerez currently is grade 1 while, Road Atlanta is grade 2, as is Road America. Laguna does not feature.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 23:34 (Ref:3753656)   #132
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Marc Gené took a Ferrari round Laguna; why is it too dangerous?
Old 23 Jul 2017, 04:25 (Ref:3753684)   #133
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Laguna isn't big enough and is too dangerous in the current format.

That Virgina int'l raceway looks modern and interesting but isnt it in the middle of nowhere?

Whatever happened to Heartland Park or Road Atlanta?

Jerez must be another grade 1 or 2 circuit?
Is Laguna Seca too dangerous? IMSA race there. The paddock looks big enough.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 09:25 (Ref:3753711)   #134
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Personally the tracks long enough and the run off is enough too, but it's up to the FIA what they deem fit
Old 23 Jul 2017, 10:14 (Ref:3753718)   #135
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
i like Laguna but just can't see F1 racing on it. Being honest I'm not sure it would give that good a race.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3753730)   #136
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Laguna is a great track to watch on telly but not a great track for a GP saying that A1 Ring is there and we all know why it is.

It is a track that is hard to pass at aswell.

The paddock is not very big, there are no garages, and when MotoGP went there they could not take the Moto2 and 3 teams as there was nowhere to put them as AMA raced there that weekend for some pathetic reason.
Old 30 Jul 2017, 02:05 (Ref:3755758)   #137
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Laguna is a great track to watch on telly but not a great track for a GP saying that A1 Ring is there and we all know why it is.

It is a track that is hard to pass at aswell.

The paddock is not very big, there are no garages, and when MotoGP went there they could not take the Moto2 and 3 teams as there was nowhere to put them as AMA raced there that weekend for some pathetic reason.
The paddock is maybe a little smaller, than the old paddock at Silverstone and bigger than the current F1 paddock. In the late '90s CART would show up with a field of 25+ cars. Either way it was just an example. Road America would be great, too but it will never happen.
Old 11 Apr 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3814865)   #138
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Has there been any news on the future of Silverstone as an F1 venue? At the present moment there is no deal for a race beyond 2018?
Old 11 Apr 2018, 13:32 (Ref:3814868)   #139
S griffin
Veteran

I hope they have found something, we can’t afford to lose the British GP
Old 11 Apr 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3814869)   #140
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I hope they have found something, we can’t afford to lose the British GP
Not now both the French and German GPs are back on the calendar. F1 needs that nucleus of European races and the British GP is very much part of it.
Old 11 Apr 2018, 14:07 (Ref:3814877)   #141
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i seem to recall last year something along the lines of Liberty taking a bit of a hard stance against Silverstone by refusing to renegotiate their contract early.

or maybe it was that Silverstone didnt want to sign an extension and accept the escalating fees the BE era extension option required?

i cant remember exactly but is there talk (again) of Silverstone being dropped?
Old 11 Apr 2018, 14:30 (Ref:3814882)   #142
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Silverstone had a get out clause in their contract with FOM that had to be exercised prior to the commencement of the 2017 weekend in July. They, at best, can only just break even, but most years they lose money.

Silverstone duly exercised the clause last year because they obviously cannot afford the escalator clause, but you are right in saying that, publicly at least, Liberty said that they would not re-negotiate the contract before the get-out clause had been executed.

And since then, it would appear, both sides have been silent. I am sure that now the season is under way that the matter will rise to the surface once more, certainly as we near what could possibly be the final ever British GP. However, I expect sensible heads to come together before then.
Old 11 Apr 2018, 14:37 (Ref:3814885)   #143
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At the time I thought that taking the exit clause was just having an option to renegotiate a sweeter deal with Liberty rather than take the Bernie escalator factor lying down. I still see it as that and believe as Mike says that common sense will prevail and Silverstone will remain on the calendar. Liberty are well aware of the importance of a British GP to the future of F1 and the industry that surrounds it.
Old 11 Apr 2018, 21:13 (Ref:3814931)   #144
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
And since then, it would appear, both sides have been silent. I am sure that now the season is under way that the matter will rise to the surface once more, certainly as we near what could possibly be the final ever British GP. However, I expect sensible heads to come together before then.
in my little deluded mind, i like to think this is because they're getting together like adults and negotiating a new contract. there's no need to speak to the press to establish starting positions and so on - real businessmen do that in the meeting room.
Old 11 Apr 2018, 21:31 (Ref:3814932)   #145
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
in my little deluded mind, i like to think this is because they're getting together like adults and negotiating a new contract. there's no need to speak to the press to establish starting positions and so on - real businessmen do that in the meeting room.
I expect so - well, I really hope so.

Hopefully the days of a Mr E navigating his way through negotiations using a loud hailer and the media, and by playing one party against another, have now gone.

Hopefully cool heads will prevail.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 08:14 (Ref:3814968)   #146
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Saward
Elsewhere, I am hearing from Silverstone that this year's British GP is going to be a three-day meeting in terms of on-track action, rather than the planned four. This is interesting as it suggests to me that Liberty Media is happy to try to help the race promoter to save money, as three days is considerably cheaper than four. This suggests that there is movement of the two parties to find a solution for post 2019… when the current deal finishes. By extension, that suggests that Silverstone remains the only viable alternative, so none of the other projects is very likely - in the short term at least…
From https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00190 a couple of weeks ago.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 09:13 (Ref:3814980)   #147
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's common knowledge that BE was no fan of the BRDC and vice versa. Perpetual conflict and brinkmanship was standard practice between both parties.

With BE gone, I'm of the view that Silverstone and the British GP are probably more secure now than for decades.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 11:52 (Ref:3815006)   #148
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Hopefully they can find a deal to have a proper London street race, which would be so much better than the prisoner of war feeling one gets at Silverstone. And maybe some better planning organisation too, such as evidenced by the disastrous new pits.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 12:39 (Ref:3815011)   #149
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's a bit harsh. The new pits were only built to keep BE happy!

That despicable little man bled Silverstone dry, to such an extent that they couldn't afford to build a tunnel or a bridge.

BE couldn't care less as he was delighted the dirty, smelly public couldn't access his ultra exclusive paddock.

Scum like us should only be allowed to watch F1 on TV and pay handsomely for the privilege. Silverstone Circuit cares about the paying public, BE just saw them as mugs to exploit anyway he could.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3815017)   #150
S griffin
Veteran

Exactly, Bernie didn't care that it constantly got big crowds, unlike the new circuits he was so keen on, nor the fact it has so much history and still tests the drivers. That said the new section has increased overtaking opportunities, while keeping the flow of the circuit