Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Dec 2013, 11:55 (Ref:3341208)   #901
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
R T doing small club races?

Can't see it!

Good bloke but has had some odd cars.
Old 7 Dec 2013, 12:04 (Ref:3341210)   #902
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard tyzack View Post
Dear John
Better late than never, if you are still compiling chassis records of TVR Griffiths then here is another one you may now add to your collection.
I have chassis 200/5/058.
An early round tail 200 series that I bought from Hayes Harris in the USA in about 2001.
The car was a mess with a totally rotten chassis, this we replaced with a Schirle chassis, luckily the bodywork was excellent as was the original engine which even now is on standard bore.
The gearbox was also fine, however we did all the usual suspension mods a la Granada and with FIA papers in hand we raced the car in the FIA GTS series and rallied it with great success in the blue ribband events in Europe.
When all the hooha blew up we changed the car back on to silly herald uprights and bearings etc to comply, this was in 2008, however as no one could find any period history of a 200 series round tail car with standard bodywork my HTP application was refused - twice! at some considerable expense, and i just felt it would be wrong to hack a lovely car to bits and stick on silly modsports bodywork.
Full credit to Nigel Ruben - he has done a fantastic job on the modsports lookalikes that are now de rigeur in FIA racing, so my dilemma is to let it sit in my garage or race it in club events but not in FIA events.
There you go, my moan is over, there does seem to be a little chink of light at the end of the tunnel, as there is a school of thought that standard cars MAY be elligible some time soon, my fingers are crossed.
Do you know who owns FDU 500C ??
Regards
Richard Tyzack
Seems totally ridiculous Richard,wasn't so long ago that the reverse happened to a Grantura-for NOT having the round tail. That did get sorted,eventually though. Who knows,perhaps the powers that be will change their minds.
Old 8 Dec 2013, 00:43 (Ref:3341427)   #903
Thurner_fan
Rookie

Thurner_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the case of THAT Grantura the owner would presumably have had to establish that his car that his car had (1) the correct (narrower) track of the pre-66 Mark III; and (2) that the engine was positioned correctly (i.e. not in the further forward position found on the post-65 MkIV). The Kamm or Manx tail was used on Granturas built both before (MkIII) and after (MKIII or MkIV) the 31 Dec 1965 cut off but other measurable features determine whether a car complies with the homologated specification for Appendix K racing or not.

Having said that, whether or not a Kamm-tailed MkIII Grantura ever raced in an International meeting in period is just as much of a question mark as whether a round-tailed Griffith ever did the same. The FIA's rules on bodywork silhouette seem, on the the hand, to be perfectly clear but, on the other hand, to be rather inconsistently applied in the case of TVRs. A source of great frustration for owners of both Griffiths and Granturas. Why can the FIA gurus not just say "Look, we don't really know what was going on in period but as long as your cars meet the mechanical specs laid down in the homologation papers you can run either the round-tail OR the Kamm/Manx-tailed bodywork"?
Old 8 Dec 2013, 10:17 (Ref:3341536)   #904
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, quite right. All this debate over round tail or Kamm tail would be time better spent seeing them out on the track.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 18:33 (Ref:3342022)   #905
Thurner_fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard tyzack View Post
Thanks for the correct photos Stephan, it looks like i am sunk unless someone has a photo of the rounded tail in an International event, fingers crossed.
Richard, I cannot fathom why the FIA are taking such an inconsistent position as regards TVRs - Granturas and Griffiths. In the not so recent past they gave this Grantura an HTP even though it doesn't have the correct tail (i.e. no evidence of International competition in period) and was built in 1967 (although, of course, it may have since been 'corrected, to comply with pre-66 dimensions)

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...00S&mid=251584

and there have been other Kamm-tailed Granturas given HTPs more recently.

But, as your experience illustrates a far tougher stance is being taken on Griffiths. Could it be because Griffiths have greater embarrassment potential for the traditional front runners in the pre-66 GT field?

We must respect the FIA's prerogative to be pedantic over the shape of the tails but we should insist that they are consistent in the application if their pedantry.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 19:49 (Ref:3342049)   #906
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The two years that a Griff won the 6Hr,there wasn't a GT 40 out there.Makes me wonder why people still think that throwing buckets of cash at them will turn them into a 6hr winner again,very little chance against what Vincent and Alain allow in these days,which is a great shame.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 20:22 (Ref:3342061)   #907
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
What years did TVR win 6 hrs.

Don't think that what Alan and Vincent lets in is the difficulty it's the 16 secs a lap quicker than eight years ago with same cars.

All the able to do 2 42!
Old 9 Dec 2013, 20:53 (Ref:3342079)   #908
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurner_fan View Post
Richard, I cannot fathom why the FIA are taking such an inconsistent position as regards TVRs - Granturas and Griffiths. In the not so recent past they gave this Grantura an HTP even though it doesn't have the correct tail (i.e. no evidence of International competition in period) and was built in 1967 (although, of course, it may have since been 'corrected, to comply with pre-66 dimensions)

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...00S&mid=251584

and there have been other Kamm-tailed Granturas given HTPs more recently.

But, as your experience illustrates a far tougher stance is being taken on Griffiths. Could it be because Griffiths have greater embarrassment potential for the traditional front runners in the pre-66 GT field?

We must respect the FIA's prerogative to be pedantic over the shape of the tails but we should insist that they are consistent in the application if their pedantry.
I think there is some rule about production numbers that was invoked here. If I recall correctly once a certain number of cars have been produced with the homologated shape a subsequent body shape using the same underpinnings qualifies for the same HTP. Obviously this works for the Grantura but not for the Griffith as it doesn't apply retrospectively. Unfortunately I can't find the regs and I got bored reading AppK!

I'm sure this was covered in another thread.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3342111)   #909
Thurner_fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
I think there is some rule about production numbers that was invoked here. If I recall correctly once a certain number of cars have been produced with the homologated shape a subsequent body shape using the same underpinnings qualifies for the same HTP. Obviously this works for the Grantura but not for the Griffith as it doesn't apply retrospectively. Unfortunately I can't find the regs and I got bored reading AppK!

I'm sure this was covered in another thread.
Yes, that rule has indeed been mentioned before, and in this thread actually. See post #198 for example.

However, I am not at all sure that it is obvious that this 'works' for the Grantura as the Mk3 1800 - the homologated model that all current racers build their cars to replicate - was only built in small numbers, maybe 30 to 40 from chassis numbers 9/660-ish to 9/700-ish. Then the Kamm-tail was introduced on the production line just before the end of 1965.

As has been suggested previously, it is possible that some manufacturers may have tried to make out that they had produced more than 100 of the original body shape. But, surely the modern FIA would make appropriate enquiry now before issuing HTPs for alternate body shapes especially, in this case, when there is no photographic evidence to support the alternate body shape having competed at an International meeting?

My position remains that I would like to see either rear body shape being acceptable for both Grantura and Griffith. It might encourage more cars to be prepared appropriately and out there racing, which is surely what we all really would like to see?
Old 9 Dec 2013, 22:58 (Ref:3342137)   #910
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
What years did TVR win 6 hrs

Don't think that what Alan and Vincent lets in is the difficulty it's the 16 secs a lap quicker than eight years ago with same cars.

All the able to do 2 42!
TVR Victories

WARD (GB) / CONOLEY (GB) / WILLIAMS (GB)
TVR Griffith
WARD (GB) / CONOLEY (GB)
TVR Griffith
Old 10 Dec 2013, 04:16 (Ref:3342237)   #911
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:

All the able to do 2 42!

95/96 Joe Ward/Chris Conoley. Two different cars.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 04:21 (Ref:3342241)   #912
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Smith View Post
TVR Victories

WARD (GB) / CONOLEY (GB) / WILLIAMS (GB)
TVR Griffith
WARD (GB) / CONOLEY (GB)
TVR Griffith

Thanks Malcolm.always good to keep the education standards up.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 09:35 (Ref:3342289)   #913
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:

All the able to do 2 42!

Like I said,no GT40s/over developed Cobras etc etc,were present then. Only one Corvette out there which encountered numerous problems on both occasions. Unlike the recent events that have become a sports/racing car show. Even Mustangs were in their early redevelopment stages much the same as nearly all V8 engined stuff. E Types were still doing the kind of lap speeds they should have done but not much interest in them then.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 22:42 (Ref:3343376)   #914
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post

Like I said,no GT40s/over developed Cobras etc etc,were present then. Only one Corvette out there which encountered numerous problems on both occasions. Unlike the recent events that have become a sports/racing car show. Even Mustangs were in their early redevelopment stages much the same as nearly all V8 engined stuff. E Types were still doing the kind of lap speeds they should have done but not much interest in them then.

I don't think you can get back to the results for when Joe and Chris won any more - and Roy Stephenson's 1800 Grantura was 3rd in 2004 IIRC......but this link takes you to 2007

http://www.ris-timing.be/v2/archive/archive-2007/

In that year's Six Hours before the arms race with the V8s, there were two TVRs in the top 25, both Granturas and Nigel Reuben's fastest last lap in Johnson's car was a 3.06.9 for 8th place. There were five GTS11 cars in the top 15 and only 6 cars overall under 3 mins......this year 28 cars qualified under 3 mins and 63 were quicker than Nigel's time in the TVR in 2007

Amazing how much 'development' has made certain cars SO much faster.....or maybe it's the drivers
Old 13 Dec 2013, 06:56 (Ref:3343531)   #915
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Oddly enough,whilst clearing out the junk you seem to accumulate,I have just come across photos taken at the start of both years.If I get the time,I'll put them on here.By todays standards,the grids look quite small! I would put the lower lap times down to higher development cost's.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3343964)   #916
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

In the interests of redressing the balance. I thought I would post to let you know that after 5 innaugral sessions and my first time behind the wheel of a Griff I managed a 1.28 at Anglesey coastal circuit.

It felt very rapid inside the car and I was elated after a very long self build to have finally completed my car.. the race footage makes me look like I am reversing through the field but in my defence...

I was on M sections of 10 year vintage
The other cars had about 100hp more on average
I was short shifting whilst bedding the engine in

Not all griffs are being built with an arms race in mind Some are still faithful to the concept of what they are. even if they are not Fia Elligible.

I will learn how to drive it next year without being too much of an emmbarassment and then hopefully come out to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX71UXv5eA0

N.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 11:56 (Ref:3343968)   #917
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Its one of those cars that just looks right! Very nice.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 10:29 (Ref:3344245)   #918
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A dream realised - fantastic stuff!
Old 9 Apr 2014, 12:51 (Ref:3390516)   #919
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Last edited by jellison; 9 Apr 2014 at 13:05.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 16:32 (Ref:3390580)   #920
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Sir! Sir! Look at that air intake!
I thought it was only CMS who could get away with that Jelly? So, thats adds another two with coforming w/arches.Both very nicely done chaps.HTPs anyone?
Old 25 Dec 2016, 18:59 (Ref:3698426)   #921
Profdeuce
Rookie

Profdeuce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice looking vehicle.

John Turner Question - I submitted my Griffith 400 chassis number to you a while back. How many griffith 400 chassis numbers have you identified at this time of the 59 produced?
Mine is 400-6-055.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 06:27 (Ref:3698476)   #922
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Some people have been very diffident about disclosing that information and I have been somewhat distracted with other motor racing activities. However, I'll put together a list and see what I can come up with.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 2 Jan 2017, 08:38 (Ref:3699643)   #923
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Crikey, had to look back 4 pages to find this thread. Given that Profdeuce (Remind me who you are, by PM, if you wish Pfd) has reawakened this one and that I started it back in 2009, I guess there might be some updating to do. Anyone care to inform of changes of ownership or new cars that have appeared?
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 7 Jan 2017, 01:03 (Ref:3700714)   #924
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Sir! Sir! Look at that air intake!
I thought it was only CMS who could get away with that Jelly? So, thats adds another two with coforming w/arches.Both very nicely done chaps.HTPs anyone?
Jon's car is too mildly modified to be FIA legal
Old 11 Feb 2017, 13:08 (Ref:3711531)   #925
Racingdenmark
Rookie

Denmark
Racingdenmark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Karl Roslund 2002 European Championship winner car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maza1 View Post
Hi !
If my memory serves , The Griffith 400 driven by Karl -Eric Roslund and under Schirle's maintenace was sold to Denmark after it won the championship.. DFV567C was its Licence Plate then. Run in European Tracks , and once in Finland at Ahvenisto Track.
Story goes that Schirle, as once working for TVR Factory , could say a lot about their specifications...

I wish this helps anyone interested in !

I can add to this post, that this car is still in Denmark. Has been standing in a museum ever since. But it is going to be raced again in 2017.

It still has the UK plate DFV567C

Regards
RD
Attached Thumbnails
20170207_184834_resized.jpg