Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Apr 2017, 00:26 (Ref:3727440)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
40th Anniversary of The Classic Motorsports Mitty - Road Atlanta

Hurley Haywood will be the Grand Marshall and Porsche will be the featured marque in the 40th Mitty at Road Atlanta.

Starting this Friday April 24th with practice for all groups, there is going to be a wide variety of machines from late 50s and early 60s production cars to prototype sportscars and Formula cars from many decades to late-ish model stockcars to just about every Porsche you can think of.

Events Page

Schedule

Entry List

After skimming the entry early today, I'm most interested in checking out this rare machine, seemingly driven by the dude that put it together back in 81.

1981 Furey Mk II, campaigned by Dan Furey

Hope to have a fellow 10ther take some of his usual fabulous photos to share. Hope the weather favors us this year....
Old 18 Apr 2017, 02:13 (Ref:3727449)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having another closer look at the entry, (sadly former) AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson appears on the list in his 1970 Royale RP4. I'll certainly have to seek him out...

Also on the list, an Eagle Corvette GTP, of which I've never seen in person, to the best of my knowledge. Mr. Goodwrench #40

Can't wait.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 02:21 (Ref:3727450)   #3
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hate Porsche but that poster is badass.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 18 Apr 2017, 04:00 (Ref:3727462)   #4
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I'm planning to arrive on Friday around 8am. Hoping to get a good camping spot on the fence around turn 4. We'll have a group of a few guys there, once I get a spot I'll make sure to let you all know so you can stop by and say hello.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 05:27 (Ref:3727466)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Sounds a fantastic meeting, Guys!

Have fun, may the Weather Gods be kind to you, and look forward to any photos you are able to post afterwards.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 10:49 (Ref:3727522)   #6
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I hate Porsche but that poster is badass.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Just glad they threw a 914 on it. There's one in every group!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I'm planning to arrive on Friday around 8am. Hoping to get a good camping spot on the fence around turn 4. We'll have a group of a few guys there, once I get a spot I'll make sure to let you all know so you can stop by and say hello.
Safe travels and we'll see you there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Sounds a fantastic meeting, Guys!

Have fun, may the Weather Gods be kind to you, and look forward to any photos you are able to post afterwards.
Thanks, Mike! Looking decent for Friday and Saturday, right now. Sunday, however......
Old 18 Apr 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3727527)   #7
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
It is usually ok until early am Friday, gates open Thursday evening and there is usually a decent line 25-40 people mid afternoon. I'll be claiming a decent stretch of turn 4 street side real estate myself Thursday evening.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3727529)   #8
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Having another closer look at the entry, (sadly former) AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson appears on the list in his 1970 Royale RP4. I'll certainly have to seek him out...

Also on the list, an Eagle Corvette GTP, of which I've never seen in person, to the best of my knowledge. Mr. Goodwrench #40

Can't wait.
And new entry list is sorted by class finally: http://hsrrace.com/wp-content/upload...-List-4.17.pdf

Yeah, I had to google it and see if it was really his car for the Furey. It definitely looks old school garagista race car.

The Beans are stepping up their game with another Intrepid and a Nissan to make the GTP class more than Toby running away from everyone.

And a whole fleet of DPs and LMPC cars, think I counted 3 of each so there's that

Although Sunday does look like a terrible day for packing up and that's always fun.

Last edited by broadrun96; 18 Apr 2017 at 11:24.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 12:13 (Ref:3727541)   #9
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
It is usually ok until early am Friday, gates open Thursday evening and there is usually a decent line 25-40 people mid afternoon. I'll be claiming a decent stretch of turn 4 street side real estate myself Thursday evening.
I should be able to get there as soon as I get off of work on Friday. I have a new job about 10 minutes from the track. Not sure what time that is yet though.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 12:24 (Ref:3727544)   #10
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I should be able to get there as soon as I get off of work on Friday. I have a new job about 10 minutes from the track. Not sure what time that is yet though.
No worries, I'll stake our claim to the usual 'level' area. And if our neighbors don't show possibly their level grassy area instead.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 15:09 (Ref:3727579)   #11
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Last year someone parked their rv length wise against the track and blocked a ton of track.

I'll be around, but not camping this year. Something about work and hotels. Turn 6/7 should have some fun stuff going on.

"...just about every Porsche you can think of."

Except any modern prototype. Looks like just more 911s than normal. Very surprising considering the motorsports treasure trove at Porsche center down the road.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 16:02 (Ref:3727586)   #12
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Last year someone parked their rv length wise against the track and blocked a ton of track.

I'll be around, but not camping this year. Something about work and hotels. Turn 6/7 should have some fun stuff going on.

"...just about every Porsche you can think of."

Except any modern prototype. Looks like just more 911s than normal. Very surprising considering the motorsports treasure trove at Porsche center down the road.
Hoping they put the fencing back up trackside at the road again. Turn 4 is the only stretch that doesn't have permanent sleeves in the ground for the fencing apparently. They made the guys hurry out and install it Tuesday afternoon last year before Petit and all they had was checkered flag line left. If there's no fence I might have to be that ass and call them Friday morning about it or put out a couple canopies to take up the space. I'd come up and put in the fencing myself to keep that clear of cars and the daytrippers sitting in AC blocking the fence.

I am curious if Porsche will bring stuff up for Vendor Village this year. Last time Ferrari had a big event they brought one of my old client's cars up from Macon for the tent, F40, 308 GTS (I think it was) and something else small.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 17:15 (Ref:3727603)   #13
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I could be wrong, but thought we saw the Penske DHL Porsche one year, but certainly wouldn't expect a LMP1 there on track. Could have one in the paddock / vendor village. Highly unlikely.

And Jim Furey's Furey is nothing more than a Chevy Vega with some Dan Furey bodywork. I dig the Vega's and 358 cubic inches.

Yeah, the camping next to the fence drives me up the wall. Makes me appreciate Sebring that much more as they have the permanent separation for the freedom of movement.

Thanks for the "grouped" entry, broadrun. Sorted by actual class too! We may know what's going on this time, so we need to drink more then.

Hopefully Joe Bradley will be calling the proceedings again.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 17:43 (Ref:3727609)   #14
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Think we will see the usual show 919 like Petit and Mitty last year but think it's an older or roller only chassis.

The Penske Spyder was a few years ago for two events but think he binned it once. Might have been the same guy running the old Lotus 'F1' car.

Also haven't seen the Pescarolo for a few years now too, think he has gone over to SVRA. And SVRA has a bad taste in their mouth from the cancelled spring event 3 years ago it seems.

Office government work now so lots of day time left for me to read tenths and pretend to be working. No car so no inspections can be done but you can't go home early either so tenths and other car stuff it is. But luckily government work so get Thursday and Friday off the 3rd week I'm here.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3727628)   #15
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
thanks for the reminder about the Pescarolo. That thing was sweet!

Quote:
Office government work now so lots of day time left for me to read tenths and pretend to be working. No car so no inspections can be done but you can't go home early either so tenths and other car stuff it is. But luckily government work so get Thursday and Friday off the 3rd week I'm here.
Oh snap. AC at work for you. Well played.

And you should be able to tell the days I'm in the office.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 15:33 (Ref:3727773)   #16
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
If the forecast holds, and it looks like it's getting worse not better, I'm thinking about packing up Sat night after racing is over. 90% chance of storms and rain Sunday doesn't sound like fun, maybe I'm getting old but packing truck in the rain sucks
Old 19 Apr 2017, 21:39 (Ref:3727864)   #17
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
If the forecast holds, and it looks like it's getting worse not better, I'm thinking about packing up Sat night after racing is over. 90% chance of storms and rain Sunday doesn't sound like fun, maybe I'm getting old but packing truck in the rain sucks
Kirk Mellish is full of $hit.

Edit, in all seriousness, they've been pushing the rain further and further back from chances Saturday to none on Saturday. We could get some relief in the AM and have the storms pushed back further into the day, giving us a window of opportunity.

And after a Saturday of spring weather in the hot sun boozing, I won't have it in me to pack up....
Play
by
ear.

And before he responds, I'll do it for him:
JHamiton --- "It'll be fine."

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 19 Apr 2017 at 21:44.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 00:17 (Ref:3727892)   #18
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
It was definitely a play it by ear and see how the forecast goes, who knows another road could fail too
Old 20 Apr 2017, 00:56 (Ref:3727894)   #19
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
60% now. A front is coming through. We just gotta bail before it hits. It'll be fine.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 11:42 (Ref:3727956)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Unless Boris Said is around, Sunday is looking like a complete wash out, which stinks, but I'll have Saturday. Will be a push to try and get around the paddocks and see some motoring.

Save my spot. I'm coming in hot Friday night, probably late.
Quote:
It was definitely a play it by ear and see how the forecast goes, who knows another road could fail too
Ha! Atlanta is a complete dumpster fire ATM. Summer break can't come soon enough for some people.

Quote:
60% now. A front is coming through. We just gotta bail before it hits. It'll be fine.
Wrong! 75.

I'll be fine with whatever. Older son is camping with scouts in SC the same night. That's what I'll be concerned with. Well, more concerned that my wife will be a mess overnight. Good thing I won't be around.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3728015)   #21
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Gates opened at noon, so it's race cars and beer time. No Whistler but the Penrods Olds is making lots of noise now
Old 20 Apr 2017, 19:38 (Ref:3728018)   #22
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Gates opened at noon, so it's race cars and beer time. No Whistler but the Penrods Olds is making lots of noise now
8astard. Chelsea told me tickets are available 24/7 at the gate so I'll be buying one tomorrow evening around 9, so SHUT IT until then. Maybe I'll purchase a Saturday ONLY ticket....

I like how they have a 962 on the poster but none on the entry. Hell, there's no Porsche proto at all on the list. That's pretty lame and rather disappointing for some...
Old 20 Apr 2017, 19:42 (Ref:3728019)   #23
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
I'm might drop off the camper at lunch and head back to the office, but do you know what time the gate closes?

Edit - Or I can read Field's post.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3728020)   #24
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Unless Boris Said is around, Sunday is looking like a complete wash out, which stinks, but I'll have Saturday. Will be a push to try and get around the paddocks and see some motoring.

Save my spot. I'm coming in hot Friday night, probably late.

Ha! Atlanta is a complete dumpster fire ATM. Summer break can't come soon enough for some people.

Wrong! 75.

I'll be fine with whatever. Older son is camping with scouts in SC the same night. That's what I'll be concerned with. Well, more concerned that my wife will be a mess overnight. Good thing I won't be around.
It will rain very early Sunday morning and clear out.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 20:01 (Ref:3728027)   #25
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
It will rain very early Sunday morning and clear out.
You mean "it'll blow over."