Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 5 Apr 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3053988)   #1
Lewjen
Rookie

Lewjen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewen's Tracks

Hello all! I'm quite keen on designing tracks (just putting ideas I have into GIMP and seeing how they turn out), but I don't think I take it as 'seriously' as many people on here would appear to. I just like to take an idea I have and draw it in GIMP (yes I know, GIMP is hardly proffessional but I did consider using Sketch-up... but it's so damn complicated). I also have a little key: the green is the background surface the track is on, yellow is the gravel traps, and red is the grand stands.
My first circuit is Sprutten Circuit. This is a fairly high speed track with a few overtaking opportunities.
T1 - Turn one is apporached at the end of the longest straight on the track, and is taken after a small dab of the brakes.
T2 - On the apporach to turn two, the track starts to climb slightly. Turn two is just about flat out, and is followed by a 'non-corner' that is easily flat out. The track continues to climb slightly.
T3 - The track climbs more steeply on the apporach to turn 3, but crests at the apex. The track falls fairly sharply at the exit. Turn 3 is the first proper overtaking spot as it is apporached at high speed, and required heavy braking to slow the car sufficiently.
T4 - The track flattens on the approach to turn 4. Turn 4 is a medium speed corner, and is apporached flat out but the driver needs to lift in order to not run wide.
T5 - Turn 5 is considerably slower and requires some sharp braking, and so is the next overtaking opportunity. It is also slightly cambered, due to a very meandering river that used to occupy that space of land.
T6 - The long apporach to turn 6 is slightly downhill, and by the time the drivers hit the braking spot the cars should be reaching a speed similar to that of the apporach to T1. This is the next overtaking spot, as it requires sharp braking and has an approach which provokes cars to slipstream.
T7 & 8 - The apporach to turn 7 is flat. Turn 7 is extremely fast, being flat out after a very long straight. However, turn 7 requires drivers to brake at the apex in order to slow the car sufficiently for turn 8. Very easy to lock a brake, and would probably see a lot of drivers chucking it off the track, especially in the wet. turn 8 is easily negotiated once braking during turn 7 is sorted.
T9 - Turn 9 is flat out and is used as an acceleration zone for turn 10.
T10 - Turn 10 is sharper than it initially looks, and presents another ovetaking spot. It requires hard braking, and is slightly cambered due to the aforementioned river.
T11 & T12 - Turn 11 requires a small lift from the front running cars, perhaps more from the other teams. A medium length straight then sets the drivers up for turn 12 which is taken flat out.
T13 - Turn 13 requires some braking, and a particularly brave driver may be able to use it as an overtaking spot.
T14 - Turn 14 is a small turn left, a kink. The drivers jump over the apex kerb in order to straight line their apporach to turn 15.
Turn 15 - A small amount of braking is required for turn 15. Very tricky to negotiate, as the corner is slightly off camber.

Wahey! I hope my first track isn't too bad! Thanks for looking! (I have attatched a coloured and non-coloured version depending on people's preference).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpruttenCircuit.jpg (140.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SpruttenCircuit2.jpg (205.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 5 Apr 2012, 23:45 (Ref:3054294)   #2
Lewjen
Rookie

This is my next design, Legg Rock. It's quite a fast track, which demands a lot of concentration in the closing section of the track.
The first sector is incredibly fast, with the cars remaining flat out after T1 for around 1 mile until they hit the brakes for T3.
Sector 2 runs from the exit of T3 to the exit of T12. The average speed of this sector is quite high despite numerous chalenging corners.
Finally, sector 3 presents one of the few overtaking spots on this track, at turn 17. The average speed of this sector is quite low, but raised slightly by the long run back to T1.
Please feel free people to feedback or whatever! Again, 2 versions are provided.

EDIT: Just want to let you know that in future track designs I will hope to include more detail, such as run offs and possibly landscape features (trees, rivers?).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LeggRock.jpg (131.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg LeggRock2.jpg (185.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Lewjen; 5 Apr 2012 at 23:51.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 08:29 (Ref:3054379)   #3
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The overall blot shapes of your tracks are nice. I also like the colour scheme of your graphics. I realize that conceptually, the first two tracks you posted are made from the same piece of cloth: it's nice to see you already have a personal style even though you are fairly new to track design.

But there is something I would like to suggest to you which could be improved: your corner shapes. So far, most of your corners seem to have a small constant radius even if they are not hairpins, or they seem to be chicanes.
This way, your road courses look like they could also be street tracks. So why not use the possibilities which a free space of land could offer to you?
Introducing some sweeping corners with a larger radius or corners with several apexes would allow you to make your circuits more interesting to drive (and to look at, too).

Welcome to the board!
Old 6 Apr 2012, 10:40 (Ref:3054428)   #4
Lewjen
Rookie

Thank you Yannick! I'lll try to take those things onboard and as a consequence improve my design.
Regarding the radius of the corners, it's so very difficult (atleast for me and my badly coordinated hands ) to create interesting corners using shift and click (individual straight lines in GIMP). So this is why I'm trying *trying* to learn to create tracks in Google Sketch-up, but jeeze. So difficult as well! haha
Old 6 Apr 2012, 12:42 (Ref:3054458)   #5
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120325

Heres a tutorial for how to create tracks in sketchup.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3054522)   #6
Lewjen
Rookie

Thanks for the link. But I have already seen that thread, but the only thing I don't think it covers is the most basic of things I'm struggling with; creating fluid shapes. But I'll keep working at it and see how I go.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 21:48 (Ref:3054644)   #7
Lewjen
Rookie

I have here my next track, Blueforest. With this one I have tried to make it a bit easier on the eye; better presented? I've tried to include my landscaping with the addition of a river/stream, and also some dark green which is meant to signify a forest area, or densely clustered trees.
All in all, this is probably my favourite so far, not just because of the extra effort put into this one with the landscaping, but also with the challenge it would present to the drivers in real life. It is a combonation of technical corners and straight line speed.
I hope people like to look at this track!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blueforest.jpg (131.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Blueforest2.jpg (192.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 16 Apr 2012, 18:46 (Ref:3060422)   #8
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those are very nice tracks IMHO, though they aren't a work of art in the "artistic" sense, I've ridden them in my mind real quick and the are quite challenging and fun, from my perspective as a racer. I would extend the escape areas in some really fast corners I saw, that's about it.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 17:26 (Ref:3062729)   #9
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for your most recent design. It feels like Buenos Aires' Autodromo Oscar Galvez were located in the forest covered hillside. That's quite a step up from your first two: you have made great progress.