Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 5 Nov 2015, 23:30 (Ref:3588467)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Sequential gear change shift time?

Hello.

I am working on a research project which involves simulating a sequential manual shifter from about 15 years ago (super touring era).

I have tried to contact gearbox manufacturers like xtrac and hewland but sadly they weren't able or weren't willing to hand over such figures.

What I am after is approximate figures for upshift and downshift in ms. I believe a modern version of such a gearbox will do an upshift in about 50-60ms, but I have no idea about a downshift.

Can anyone offer any kind of help?

Thanks

Ben.
Old 6 Nov 2015, 07:43 (Ref:3588528)   #2
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my experience with xtrac (626b) the actual gear selection change is approx 50ms however the entire process from receiving the shift signal, blipping (downshift) etc can take up to 100ms.
Old 6 Nov 2015, 14:23 (Ref:3588575)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
From my experience with xtrac (626b) the actual gear selection change is approx 50ms however the entire process from receiving the shift signal, blipping (downshift) etc can take up to 100ms.
Many thanks for the reply.

Would there be a big difference between the 626 (which I believe is an electronic system?) and something like the older Xtrac 306 which would have been a mechanical, barrel / push-pull system?

Thanks
Old 11 Nov 2015, 22:02 (Ref:3589817)   #4
kevo02
Rookie

kevo02 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I designed a few pneumatic paddle shifters for sequential gearboxes. Unloaded gearbox times we reached were 70ms+, under load 100ms are more realistic. You can add extra 50-100ms for downshift. These are measures for complete shift cycle (Time between driver's paddle press and reached gear). With upshift there's obvious engine cut/retard & with downshift auto blip is taken into the account.
Old 13 Nov 2015, 20:11 (Ref:3590219)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo02 View Post
I designed a few pneumatic paddle shifters for sequential gearboxes. Unloaded gearbox times we reached were 70ms+, under load 100ms are more realistic. You can add extra 50-100ms for downshift. These are measures for complete shift cycle (Time between driver's paddle press and reached gear). With upshift there's obvious engine cut/retard & with downshift auto blip is taken into the account.
Many thanks for your reply, this information will be invaluable to our simulation.