Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Feb 2018, 03:30 (Ref:3797644)   #3271
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 has a real shot at the podium!TF110 has a real shot at the podium!TF110 has a real shot at the podium!TF110 has a real shot at the podium!TF110 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
put a rotary in ittttttt
Sound is amazing, not so much the fuel economy. They'll get even more bop favors if they did run one!
Old 2 Feb 2018, 13:36 (Ref:3797729)   #3272
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
I've long suspected John Doonan is locked into some sort of Brewster's Millions-style game. In order to get a racing budget in the 7-8 figure range, he has to spend 6 figures yearly for a certain number of years, but can't have anything material to show for it at the end of the year and he can't tell anyone else what he's doing.
This is brilliant!
Old 11 Feb 2018, 13:14 (Ref:3800491)   #3273
ModelT
Rookie

ModelT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
I've long suspected John Doonan is locked into some sort of Brewster's Millions-style game. In order to get a racing budget in the 7-8 figure range, he has to spend 6 figures yearly for a certain number of years, but can't have anything material to show for it at the end of the year and he can't tell anyone else what he's doing.

This is brilliant!

He can't tell tell anyone else what he is doing, as he has no idea himself of what he is doing!

A complete and utter amateur trying to play in a professional world, akin to ex Nissan, Darren Kox.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 21:02 (Ref:3800780)   #3274
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!
How fast will DPi/LMP2 be on Michelins? A control tyre developed in an open tyre category should give a useful boost.
And how close will GTD get to GTLM?

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/mi...or-imsa-teams/
Old 12 Feb 2018, 21:24 (Ref:3800787)   #3275
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I kind of wish they had just given the GTD deal back to Continental to keep them in the series. It sort of would have made sense from both a performance and financial point of view.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 00:13 (Ref:3800827)   #3276
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridseanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridseanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But not a "what the series looks like" point of view.

Cause right now it kinda looks like we're using a second rate product. I know that's not 100% due to the company that makes the product, but also the company that required that specific product.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 02:16 (Ref:3800838)   #3277
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
But not a "what the series looks like" point of view.

Cause right now it kinda looks like we're using a second rate product. I know that's not 100% due to the company that makes the product, but also the company that required that specific product.
That is fair. I do think that Conti deserve their due for how well they have marketed the sport since the merger. In saying that, I think the series bringing Michelin into the top class was a no brainer.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 03:42 (Ref:3800854)   #3278
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Woodside, CA
Mike Hedlund should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Hedlund should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Hedlund should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They're going to use the standard Michelin customer tire as far as I know, in both Prototype and GTD. And if that's the case, they won't be much quicker, if at all, than the Continental (especially the first season while everyone is trying to figure out how to make it work).

-mike
Old 13 Feb 2018, 04:48 (Ref:3800859)   #3279
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
They're going to use the standard Michelin customer tire as far as I know, in both Prototype and GTD. And if that's the case, they won't be much quicker, if at all, than the Continental (especially the first season while everyone is trying to figure out how to make it work).

-mike
I think they have a new LMP2 tire coming out this year for WEC competition and is the Michelin GT3 tire the same thing as "the standard Michelin customer tire?"

Quote:
It’s understood Michelin plans to utilize its newly developed LMP2 tire for the Prototype class, with its proven GT3-based option for GTD teams.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/mi...or-imsa-teams/
Old 13 Feb 2018, 04:50 (Ref:3800860)   #3280
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post

-mike
That was my take after the interviews with Michelin officials during the Daytona broadcast. They need to make tires for the p 2 / DPI class which they were going to use their existing P2 Tire, and for GTD they will just use their existing GT3 Tire. I think Dunlop is the tire of choice in P2 these days, but I'm just basing that on grid numbers not performance.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 08:40 (Ref:3800880)   #3281
canaglia
Racer

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunlop is the main lmp2 supplier, some team switched to michelin to soon come back to dunlop, while some team sticking with michelin didn't get any real improvement at all.
With michelin customers, guess that IMSA lmp2 will be as fast as dunlop WEC/ELMS lmp2.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 11:53 (Ref:3800919)   #3282
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridseanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridseanyb505 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think any pick up in speed won't be from simply switching from continental to Michelin, but to a tire design that is 5 years newer. Michelin has been evolving their customer tires all along. Quotes from Daytona lead me to believe that continental has been selling a formula from at least as old as 2013.

It won't be 5 seconds a lap faster, but it'll be enough to notice. I imagine race pace will stay roughly the same, but the faster qualifiers will see some improvement. In my uneducated "I've seen a stack of tires" opinion.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 14:33 (Ref:3800962)   #3283
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should we expect Michelin to try their standard tire at Daytona (and will it work?) or will they try to make a custom model and hope it works first time? They do have some data from LMGT.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 17:51 (Ref:3801041)   #3284
canaglia
Racer

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Should we expect Michelin to try their standard tire at Daytona (and will it work?) or will they try to make a custom model and hope it works first time? They do have some data from LMGT.
As far I know each manufacturer use confidential compound for their cars developed with michelin engineers; even if I recall well in 2014 during silverstone heavy rain race, ferrari complained about how michelin supplying a real ultra wet compound tires only to porsche.
Anyway, it's really unlikely that gt or gt3 tires could be used as base for lmp2/dpi.

About timelap improvements, well a direct comparison there will be during sebring 12H with IMSA michelin lmp2 and WEC mainly dunlop lmp2.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3801043)   #3285
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Woodside, CA
Mike Hedlund should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Hedlund should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Hedlund should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Michelin only puts their best tires in open tire classes (IMSA/WEC) because in WEC P2 and GTE-AM there is a "tire claim rule". They don't want Dunlop getting their hands on their confidential tires -- it's also why the tires are returned to Michelin after sessions and in the event of failures and teams can be fined for "losing" them. The "confidential" Dunlops are very good, but not as good as the Michelins so they aren't afraid of Michelin deconstructing/reverse-engineering the tires.

The Dunlop "customer" tires are better than the Michelin "customer".

However, the tires companies are always very coy when it comes to what exact specification tire they're going to supply to a spec-tire class for any series. Especially for IMSA as I can almost guarantee you that the tires used at Daytona will be different than the rest of schedule.

However, don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see them in the series. They should be a good upgrade from the Continentals once they're sorted out.

-mike

ps: a single "confidential" tire set costs around $10k USD (as of 2014, maybe more now) versus $2,500 for Continental/Pirellis. Of course, most of the big teams have marketing deals to offset these costs.