Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Apr 2013, 01:35 (Ref:3228864)   #1276
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I would dispute this fact to be honest. They have a couple - but certainly not enough to make a two-car team at Le Mans, let alone three.

If people think the likes of Bergmeister, Lieb and Long and going to be driving the P1 they are dreaming in my opinion.

They have guys on their roster who I think could make the step up (Vernay being the one that comes most to mind) but I think they will need to go out and buy some talent.
Hopefully those three (along with Lietz) do get promoted to Porsche's prototype ranks. All have proved themselves to being truly excellent, and I'd love to see them battle for outright, rather than just class, wins at Le Mans.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 01:42 (Ref:3228866)   #1277
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
I thought he went to Mercedes to get his pilot's license?
He never did get the hang of landing.

Last edited by skycafe; 4 Apr 2013 at 01:43. Reason: if I could type...
Old 4 Apr 2013, 05:27 (Ref:3228901)   #1278
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
There's no doubting the talent of Mr Webber. If Porsche were to get him, he would be an asset. He's no mug and would surely grasp the concept of endurance racing, having dabbled in it in the past. Now, there's only one problem...... that F1 attitude, but I'm sure they'd beat it out of him in no time. After all, they are Porsche!
Agreed! I for one, would love to see him at Porsche. Times have changed, and I'm curious to see this "new" Porsche (I mean the team). Will it be as effective as the Porsche of old? We will have to wait and see.

Quote:
It would be great to have another Aussie in LMP1, although by all reports on the credibility of the German rag that started this latest rumor, it looks only remotely possible.
I'm wondering if this rumor does not just stem from the fact that Webber ownes a 997GT2 (and I belive a black turbo as well) and that he apparently does some driver coaching at some Porsche events.

Quote:
I'm thinking that the 2014 LMP1 Porsche driver roster would be already in place, and am leaning more to some of the existing factory guys being in the cars. Lieb is the golden haired boy over there isn't he? I know his LMP race experience would be practically nonexistent, but surely he would be doing a lot of the testing for them.
Agreed! Lieb is the "golden haired boy" in part due to the engineering role that he also plays. He is very quick (and consistent), but Lietz is just as quick (if not quicker).
Old 4 Apr 2013, 09:40 (Ref:3228971)   #1279
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All Porsche works drivers have been trained in Porsche Driving Accademy, where they receive a full training in all the classes Porsche races in. So, Lieb & Co. have been trained to race in LMP cars, as well in GT. Ok, some of them have not a real racing experience in LMP1 class, but they know that kind of car, so they could be converted to race in that class. Webber and Heidfeld may be two interesting elements, but Endurance is not Formula 1, and Porsche may find a lot better around.
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 4 Apr 2013, 09:44 (Ref:3228975)   #1280
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I agree with a lot of what you say but motor racing is also about generating publicity and selling cars, having the likes of Mr Webber in the car would achieve that.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 13:38 (Ref:3229098)   #1281
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I'm wondering if this rumor does not just stem from the fact that Webber ownes a 997GT2 (and I belive a black turbo as well) and that he apparently does some driver coaching at some Porsche events.
I hope not, because then this rumor would be super naive.

Webber and 997 GT2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqBSQTTGn9s
Old 4 Apr 2013, 14:21 (Ref:3229132)   #1282
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed it would be naive, but then again, rumors often have some pretty silly beginnings.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 20:22 (Ref:3231120)   #1283
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmmm here is Porsche actually stepping up and making a comment. They are interested.

http://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/po...om+%3A+News%29
Old 8 Apr 2013, 21:03 (Ref:3231147)   #1284
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well that is interesting rumours on chat rooms are one thing but that looks a little more substantial
Old 9 Apr 2013, 02:52 (Ref:3231277)   #1285
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They were asked a question, they gave the obvious answer (they'd talk to him if he approaches them). I wouldn't read too much into it.

With some brands I'd agree that someone like Webber would be a major marketing boon. This is Porsche coming back with an overall contender at Le Mans. In that context, details are subservient.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 07:12 (Ref:3231315)   #1286
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
It says Bild started the rumor, but the rumor was already circulating in February.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 09:14 (Ref:3231374)   #1287
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
They were asked a question, they gave the obvious answer (they'd talk to him if he approaches them). I wouldn't read too much into it.
While I agree it's not earth-shattering news - they could have just said 'no comment' or towed out the line 'we already have the best drivers'.

It's the first time they've expressed interest in Webber publicly. How significant the news is depends on Webber.

How long can Porsche afford to wait for a decision?
Old 9 Apr 2013, 10:13 (Ref:3231411)   #1288
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I think they can wait for as long as they want. A top F1 driver like that who may not know their future in F1 until the end of the year doesnt come along all the time.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 17:13 (Ref:3231598)   #1289
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Porsche and Webber... the wedding is going to be celebrated!
http://www.auto.it/autosprint/formul...er+per+Le+Mans
Webber is a very good choice for Porsche in Le Mans. I think he'll be of the match in 2014!
Very good news!
Old 9 Apr 2013, 17:34 (Ref:3231606)   #1290
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Is it news already, or still speculation copied from other sources? My Italian is non-existant and google translate is, well, google translate....
Old 9 Apr 2013, 17:53 (Ref:3231617)   #1291
zanfo zanfagni
Racer

zanfo zanfagni has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
is just another rumor. Why bring on webber when there a lot of other expert lmp1 drivers like bleekemolen, luhr, bourdais and prost who deserves a seat in a work team? Even if webber will join porsche, i think that will be some kind of third-part time driver as heidfield for rebellion, or treluyer and lotterer for audi in 2010-2011, not much more. Bernhard, Dumas and Lieb are the work drivers that are following the development of the car.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 18:07 (Ref:3231625)   #1292
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
Very good news!
No, it's not news.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 18:42 (Ref:3231637)   #1293
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
No, it's not news.
It all depends from your point of view! Anyway, I think Webber would deserve to win a so important race. I'm bored by F1 team plays.
I don't think are just speculation... don't forget none of them has disclaimed it!
Old 9 Apr 2013, 18:51 (Ref:3231640)   #1294
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
It all depends from your point of view!
It depends whether anything has been signed surely. And it hasn't.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 18:54 (Ref:3231641)   #1295
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Point of view? There is no event or information to report, therefore it's not news. Call it news when when you can read an official announcement from Porsche.

Too often on this forum speculations transforms into rumors and rumors transforms into news.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 19:11 (Ref:3231650)   #1296
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
But that is what forums are about we all speculate and wish for things without that we would have very little to discuss
Old 9 Apr 2013, 19:21 (Ref:3231652)   #1297
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
But that is what forums are about we all speculate and wish for things without that we would have very little to discuss
Right, man! That's the point! But news are going to be clearer...
Old 9 Apr 2013, 20:05 (Ref:3231674)   #1298
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Point of view? There is no event or information to report, therefore it's not news. Call it news when when you can read an official announcement from Porsche.
Too often on this forum speculations transforms into rumors and rumors transforms into news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I agree, speculation are a majority of a Forum, and there has to be room for it.
Quote:
Right, man! That's the point! But news are going to be clearer...
But I agree with deggis! Rumors are not news, and shouldn't be described that way. News are directly fact based, rumors are speculation based on facts. So until we have a confirmation from either Mark Webber or Porsche, its rumors and not news.

So, speculate away, but don't call it news, even though the rumors comes from a "news" site.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 20:15 (Ref:3231683)   #1299
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I agree, speculation are a majority of a Forum, and there has to be room for it.

But I agree with deggis! Rumors are not news, and shouldn't be described that way. News are directly fact based, rumors are speculation based on facts. So until we have a confirmation from either Mark Webber or Porsche, its rumors and not news.

So, speculate away, but don't call it news, even though the rumors comes from a "news" site.
Do not expect any news about, until Webber will be involved in F1 races.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 01:37 (Ref:3231791)   #1300
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The rumour may not be exciting to us die hard fans but there is no doubt it helps draw attention to Porsches return and LM racing from the general F1 fan - which presumably is the point, be it true or false.