Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 28 Oct 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1752152)   #1
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MY series

Yes, I'm also jumping the bandwagon and making my own series, using old tracks I've already designed (although I may have renamed them so there aren't too many from the same country)

I can promise you this will be different to the others, because it will probably be much worse

Anyway, I'll kick off with

The Famous Grouse Scottish Grand Prix

Dundee International Circuit

A new purpose-built facility for Scottish motor racing, the DIC is built on an old airfield outside the city, so it is almost completely flat (although Hellwards does drop down a bit, with In and Out Turn rising back up again - this was created to make the track a bit more interesting). However, it tries to give the track an oldy character, although this is difficult with Tilke-esque facilities, including the double-sided Ellipse Grandstand

Anyway, this is track 1 - another 14 will be coming soon
Old 28 Oct 2006, 20:37 (Ref:1752168)   #2
kivipallur92
Racer

Estonia
kivipallur92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's pretty good.

RIP Colin McRae (5 August 1968– 15 September 2007)
Old 28 Oct 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1752256)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The overall shape doesn't appeal (that's just a personal thing) though I do like the number of circuit options that you have included
Old 29 Oct 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1752615)   #4
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, the positives of this circuit are the many variations that turn this place into a good testing site, the relatively good flow, the Ellipse grandstand and your ever so imaginative corner names.
Unfortunately, there are negatives, too, which are the fact that the many parallel straights can't create an exciting blot shape, and the lack of elevation (but it's an airfield circuit, and airfields are like that).
Now that your season has started, let me wish you good TV ratings for your series
Old 29 Oct 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1752793)   #5
formula1fan
Racer

England
China Clay Country, Cornwall
formula1fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably one of the greatest fantasy tracks that I have ever seen. Well done!
Old 6 Nov 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1759299)   #6
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Next up, one of my earlier tracks, so I apologise for the poor quality - I saved it in JPEG

Leekes* Welsh GP

The Welsh National Centre of Motorsport (WNCM)

I'm not really a fan of most of my older tracks. This is a bit stop-start, but it stays. I started making it because Wales doesn't really have an international racing venue - not much at Llandow, Pembrey or the others these days (I know they're doing stuff at Anglesey but it's not bringing up to international standard, is it?). So, I took the law into my own hands, and after a number of changes, I finished with this

If I could (I don't really want to as it's a bit of an antique in my collection) I'd probably eliminate some of the hairpins and make them smoother faster corners, but I do like the Cardiff-Evolution section, if I may say so myself. It would have quite a change in elevation as well - down into a dip, and then rising a bit at Evolution

Anyway, this is my bid to bring racing back to Wales. Hope you like it more than I do

Coming up next - England, France and Egypt

* = not a pun - Leekes is a furniture/DIY-stuff manufacturer. They also have a sho in England - Melksham, I believe
Old 6 Nov 2006, 22:02 (Ref:1759458)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's way to stop start, for my taste.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 00:20 (Ref:1759549)   #8
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God that is old, I remember seeing that over on another forum about a year ago.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 12:42 (Ref:1759915)   #9
Yannick
Veteran

Help me Rhondda! This is SO not my taste. The blot shape looks like half of a square with a Mickey-Mouse section attached to it on the other side. But I guess there is a way to rescue this track from its doom.
Leave in Pryce, Llewellyn and St Davids as sort of a Tilkeesque metaphor. Then continue the bow that's coming from St Davids straight on towards Pembrey, thereby removing Pembroke and the Dragon, making this a fast right hand bow. The next breaking point would then be at Anglesey. Leave in the Cardiff - Iceland - Evolution - WDA - Laura And Ashley - S4C section, and then develop a new 3rd time sector altogether, maybe including some bowish sweepers, to get away from the angular blot shape that's been cemented by the Chepstow Straight and by help me Rhondda.
I hope you like my input.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1760135)   #10
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Thanks, Yannick - I've taken on board your comments and come up with a WNCM II (I decided to save it as a separate track so I didn't lose the original). I've made the corners longer and more flowing:

Still could be a lot more things to do there, though

BTW if you think these were bad, you don't want to see the original
Old 7 Nov 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1760322)   #11
Yannick
Veteran

No, I don't think the track was bad. There is potential in it. But regarding the length of the pitlane, and scale in general, I just thought the distance between HTV and Swansea is a bit short. So I've taken the time now to do my edit not just with words, but with my limited MS Paint skills as well. I hope it doesn't stray too far for your taste from the original blot shape.
Here it is:
Old 7 Nov 2006, 21:20 (Ref:1760334)   #12
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Hmm, my scales are normally way off, anyway. I had meant to shorten the length of the track in my edit, but forgot

I like what you've done at the top, but at the bottom, the S above the word Chepstow (the 2nd S) I'm not a fan of. Still, Newport is very nice. You could make Swansea 1 long corner without the Esses, and then making Rhondda a long right hander

BTW I live in the Rhondda. I again forgot to mention this. It's a bit of a dump
Old 9 Nov 2006, 22:51 (Ref:1762102)   #13
Yannick
Veteran

I agree that the 'Chepstow S' may have turned out a little too tight. But that's down to my limited drawing skills with the mouse, so I have to apologize.

The WCNM is not as bad as you think it is: it has elements from both the Sakhir circuit and the Albert Park Grand Prix track. I tried to add something to that with the 'Chepstow S', but if you don't like it, just leave it out. After all, it's your track.

Btw all I know about Rhondda is the song by the Beach Boys
Old 11 Nov 2006, 21:14 (Ref:1763642)   #14
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
I know - it's Help Me Rhonda, as in the name taken from the place (allegedly)
Old 15 Nov 2006, 17:24 (Ref:1767014)   #15
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
The Welsh GP will alternate every year between the WNCM and a street circuit around Cardiff in the future. I have come up with 3 designs for street circuits around Butetown:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=543696
Version 1

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=543727
Version 2

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=543759
Version 3

All 3 use the Butetown tunnel, and the long flat-out stretch from the roundabout before to the end of the road. They all also use the road above the tunnel, hence the confusing appearence at first glance. The 2nd comes onto the other side of the road from just after the tunnel (or before going in the other direction), hence creating opposite direction racing like AVUS. The 3rd is the ultimate layout, and goes into the centre of Cardiff, past the Millennium Stadium and the castle. This also crosses the River Taff 4 times, uses the other side of the carriageway to the other 2 (the right, but it could be changed to the left - I just can't be bothered since it took so long to do in the first place), and is nearly 8 1/2 miles long. It is very fast, with plenty of sweeping corners and a couple of overtaking opportunities. But it is narrow, and changes to the road would have to be made before the race
Old 20 Nov 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1770738)   #16
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Next up...

AA English GP

Devon International Circuit

Old 20 Nov 2006, 18:57 (Ref:1770830)   #17
kivipallur92
Racer

Estonia
kivipallur92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty good in both directions , but which is the right direction : clockwise or counterclockwise.

RIP Colin McRae (5 August 1968– 15 September 2007)
Old 20 Nov 2006, 20:42 (Ref:1770906)   #18
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I'd say Clockwise. 4 clear overtaking chances @ Snetterton, Mallory Park, Anglesey and Donington.
Even with those overtaking chances it would still be pretty quick and flowing, with Silverstone 1&2, Lyddon, Oulton Park and Croft being medium/High speed corners.

Would be great for racing and testing too.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 21:37 (Ref:1770949)   #19
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
I designed it originally with clockwise in mind, I believe, but I decided that it looked reasonable both ways

Devon is quite hilly as well so there'd be a bit of elevation thrown in as well

Pembrey and Brands are supposed to be quite quick as well, though I think I messed up the scale
Old 20 Nov 2006, 21:40 (Ref:1770952)   #20
formula1fan
Racer

England
China Clay Country, Cornwall
formula1fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with SBF: fast and flowing, with decent overtaking chances. Unlike some of Mr Tilke's designs (that is MY opinion!).
Old 20 Nov 2006, 21:58 (Ref:1770975)   #21
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice circuit!
Old 21 Nov 2006, 16:57 (Ref:1771560)   #22
Yannick
Veteran

It flows nicely. I can't decide if it's better clockwise or counterclockwise, but the track's elevation changes would be interesting.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 19:14 (Ref:1771655)   #23
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Either way i think the Anglesey/Pembrey/Brands Hatch esses would be great!
Old 21 Nov 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1771769)   #24
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
If it's clockwise, the esses from Lydden on get progressively tighter, although in the opposite direction, they get less tighter and faster, like Suzuka

This could be the first track to be used at high levels in both directions. Alternate years for alternate directions