Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Dec 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3787721)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
VSCC POMEROY TROPHY

The annual kick off for the season!
Old 8 Feb 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3799490)   #2
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I plan to be at the POM, anyone else going along?
Old 18 Feb 2018, 19:31 (Ref:3802208)   #3
NHSL
Rookie

NHSL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I'm car 14. I don't think I have ever seen an Austin Maxi on track before - car 51!
Old 18 Feb 2018, 22:11 (Ref:3802248)   #4
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I shall look forward to some photos . Welding up Maxi ‘s and 1100 BMC cars paid for my motor racing back in the day . As I always say “happy days “
Old 19 Feb 2018, 12:52 (Ref:3802384)   #5
boggissimo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
boggissimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep I'm competing, car 92 (Subaru Impreza). Can't wait to get out there, with the new turbo fitted since last year and newly resurfaced track, should be quick!
Old 19 Feb 2018, 12:56 (Ref:3802390)   #6
boggissimo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSL View Post
Yes, I'm car 14. I don't think I have ever seen an Austin Maxi on track before - car 51!
The Maxi has a target of 12 laps to do (1750cc), and I have 13 (1994cc + turbo)! How do they set these things?
Old 19 Feb 2018, 15:06 (Ref:3802420)   #7
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggissimo View Post
The Maxi has a target of 12 laps to do (1750cc), and I have 13 (1994cc + turbo)! How do they set these things?
Even Einstein was unable to work that out. And he tried!

Maybe the Maxi is allowed a lap for re-welding?

Last edited by bauble; 19 Feb 2018 at 15:13.
Old 19 Feb 2018, 15:12 (Ref:3802421)   #8
bauble
Veteran

England
Only two cars have only seven laps to complete - both Vauxhalls!

What does that say about VivaGT .................. and myself.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3803818)   #9
bauble
Veteran

England
A Few From The POM

_MG_0266.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0330.jpg (1.16 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg A (not so) humble Cortina.JPG (2.35 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0319.jpg (1.47 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0260.jpg (945.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0178.jpg (1.09 MB, 13 views)
Old 25 Feb 2018, 18:15 (Ref:3803840)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks Bob. Eclectic mix as usual, but Maxi my favourite! I presume the little hatch is a ‘Gazoo Racing’ Yaris GRMN....... (Engine built at Hethel by Lotus , but don’t ask what ‘GMRN’ stands for )
Old 25 Feb 2018, 20:22 (Ref:3803871)   #11
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Thanks Bob. Eclectic mix as usual, but Maxi my favourite! I presume the little hatch is a ‘Gazoo Racing’ Yaris GRMN....... (Engine built at Hethel by Lotus , but don’t ask what ‘GMRN’ stands for )
Mike it was explained at the 'Media Briefing'. now compulsory for the Media at every meeting, I did not quite catch it all but the 'G' is for garage, and I think the 'M' is Maison. It is not some reference to specification or performance, but then it is a Jap car.

I have a lot more pictures so will post a link once they are uploaded to my web site. Tortoise, and NL watch this space.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 20:32 (Ref:3803874)   #12
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I have a lot more pictures so will post a link once they are uploaded to my web site. Tortoise, and NL watch this space.
Good to have a brief catch up with you Bob in the assembly area and we should extend a welcome to Sam both to the thread and 10/10ths as a past Pom winner.....

Last edited by relativtortoise; 25 Feb 2018 at 20:37.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 21:10 (Ref:3803891)   #13
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Mike it was explained at the 'Media Briefing'. now compulsory for the Media at every meeting, I did not quite catch it all but the 'G' is for garage, and I think the 'M' is Maison. It is not some reference to specification or performance, but then it is a Jap car.

Bob,

What content at the media briefing makes attendance compulsory?

I assume there is some aspect that cannot be covered by a set of notes issued at sign on?
Old 26 Feb 2018, 08:25 (Ref:3803972)   #14
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Bob,

What content at the media briefing makes attendance compulsory?

I assume there is some aspect that cannot be covered by a set of notes issued at sign on?
The content was nothing but plain common sense, and we learnt nothing new (apart from a Yaris being a Gnm,,,), it was a formality to say we had been briefed, and therefore able to sigh-on and wear a tabard. No briefing and no trackside access, it is now mandatory under MSA rules. It follows spectators being killed at a rally in Scotland where they had posed as Media somehow.

I asked if having been 'briefed' once it would cover the season? No! Each event it seems. Apparently a pre-event on-line system is being considered.

Don't obstruct marshals posts, obey all marshal's instructions, don't photograph from a dangerous position, do not photograph (graphic) accidents, only picture children with parents permission, do not intrude on grieving people. All of this unless of 'Public interest' importance.

This is my reading not a full official account.
Old 26 Feb 2018, 06:29 (Ref:3803948)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
GRMN apparently stands for "Gazoo Racing Meisters of Nurburgring"........

Quote:
I intrigued to see how some solved the luggage carrying challenge!
Old 25 Feb 2018, 23:23 (Ref:3803916)   #16
Sam Stretton
Rookie

Sam Stretton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you relativtortoise but I never quite won, was second several times, so close and those days are gone, it’s just a great event and just so much fun.
Boggissimo I apologise, l’m sure you made it clear on your entry, the problem seems to be with the VSCC, like I said there’s no ‘T’ for turbocharged they use ‘S’ for both supercharged and turbocharged. Looking at the seeding of cars that should but don’t have the ‘S’ and equivalent cars that do have an ‘S’ suggests they haven’t applied the 1.4 equivalence. Cheers Sam
Old 26 Feb 2018, 10:21 (Ref:3803993)   #17
boggissimo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stretton View Post
Boggissimo I apologise, l’m sure you made it clear on your entry, the problem seems to be with the VSCC, like I said there’s no ‘T’ for turbocharged they use ‘S’ for both supercharged and turbocharged. Looking at the seeding of cars that should but don’t have the ‘S’ and equivalent cars that do have an ‘S’ suggests they haven’t applied the 1.4 equivalence. Cheers Sam
There is a comment on the VSCC forum that 'plans for next year are afoot' to list T as well as S for the different forced induction methods.

Are the seedings (or H values) listed somewhere? I've never seen them although I don't see why they couldn't publish them. It was good that they measured the L length during signing on/scrutineering this year, wondered how much errors/exaggerations could affect the results.

Provisional results have just been released!
Top modern was Ross Keeling, in third place overall in his Mini! Alex Ames 4th. I was 13th (although not sure why I got a 10 point penalty for test E, have queried that).

5 of the 16 1st class awards went to cars built since 2000, compared to only 2 last year.
Old 26 Feb 2018, 10:56 (Ref:3804000)   #18
bauble
Veteran

England
As a mere spectator, I can only say that having watched a very mixed field of cars vying for the honour of being the best car to use for continental cruising, I would rather have the Maserati, than any of the presumably perfect vehicles according to the VSCC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0052.jpg (1.52 MB, 9 views)
Old 26 Feb 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3804042)   #19
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
As a mere spectator, I can only say that having watched a very mixed field of cars vying for the honour of being the best car to use for continental cruising, I would rather have the Maserati, than any of the presumably perfect vehicles according to the VSCC.
No doubt - as would a Focus Diesel . But I'll take the T35 Bugatti thanks - and I'd still be talking about the trip in a decade's time .....

VSCC occupies a parallel universe - and it's one I like very much indeed ...
Old 26 Feb 2018, 14:25 (Ref:3804055)   #20
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
No doubt - as would a Focus Diesel . But I'll take the T35 Bugatti thanks - and I'd still be talking about the trip in a decade's time .....

VSCC occupies a parallel universe - and it's one I like very much indeed ...
I fully understand your choice Cop, but would the 'popsie' agree?
Old 27 Feb 2018, 08:29 (Ref:3804204)   #21
boggissimo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:

Provisional results have just been released!
Top modern was Ross Keeling, in third place overall in his Mini! Alex Ames 4th. I was 13th (although not sure why I got a 10 point penalty for test E, have queried that).
My penalty was for exceeding track limits - I caught a spin out of Copse but must have strayed across the kerb while correcting.

Interesting that more modern cars have become successful, yet still the Pom has never been won by anything more recent than 1974! I suspect a handicap tweak is imminent to prevent such a terrible outcome...
Old 27 Feb 2018, 09:58 (Ref:3804221)   #22
relativtortoise
Racer

Quote:

Interesting that more modern cars have become successful, yet still the Pom has never been won by anything more recent than 1974!
The reason for the recent swing to more modern machinery is due to a couple of changes one as subtle as the change in location of test C & D - the more powerful moderns can definitely be flat down Hanger which was rarely the case around Woodcote.

The second is less subtle in the removal of the 1950cc lower capacity limit which has brought into play a number of very well developed cars from other series using historic engines re-developed in modern times. I am thinking of the A35 and the Lotus t/c engine in it's various chassis.

The formula does get a little challenged with the smaller capacities - something I leveraged last year with using an 848 Mini.

Maybe using the GP circuit also benefits the newer machines.

To beat the winner you would need to do a faster Test C than him and he's giving you 400cc's and a turbo - that's before any age handicap.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 10:32 (Ref:3804225)   #23
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
The reason for the recent swing to more modern machinery is due to a couple of changes one as subtle as the change in location of test C & D - the more powerful moderns can definitely be flat down Hanger which was rarely the case around Woodcote.

The second is less subtle in the removal of the 1950cc lower capacity limit which has brought into play a number of very well developed cars from other series using historic engines re-developed in modern times. I am thinking of the A35 and the Lotus t/c engine in it's various chassis.

The formula does get a little challenged with the smaller capacities - something I leveraged last year with using an 848 Mini.

Maybe using the GP circuit also benefits the newer machines.

To beat the winner you would need to do a faster Test C than him and he's giving you 400cc's and a turbo - that's before any age handicap.
Exactly what AGE are you RT?
Old 26 Feb 2018, 13:21 (Ref:3804036)   #24
relativtortoise
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stretton View Post
Thank you relativtortoise but I never quite won, was second several times, so close and those days are gone, it’s just a great event and just so much fun.
Do you know I was sure that you had won it in the Lotus - second overall is good .....I did that in 2010 but I seem to be moving further away now.

Be interesting to know if the 1.4 has been applied to the Keeling Cooper S
Old 28 Feb 2018, 11:15 (Ref:3804531)   #25
boggissimo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
Do you know I was sure that you had won it in the Lotus - second overall is good .....I did that in 2010 but I seem to be moving further away now.

Be interesting to know if the 1.4 has been applied to the Keeling Cooper S
Think it just has – they've released a new set of provisional results this morning, and lots of turbo cars have now got fewer points for tests A-D. I doubt if many had failed to declare their forced induction so it seems odd that they've only just applied the change.