Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Sep 2017, 00:05 (Ref:3766413)   #1
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
International GT classes

Can anyone explain in simple terms what the differences are between GT3, GT4 and GTE?

I am confused and can't find an explanation.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 01:41 (Ref:3766418)   #2
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Can anyone explain in simple terms what the differences are between GT3, GT4 and GTE?

I am confused and can't find an explanation.
This is probably better in the Sportscar sub form where most fans are but I'll give it a shot. The difference between the three classes are pretty much cost, speed and how modified they are. There used to be a distinct gap between laptimes in GT3 and GTE but that gap is a lot smaller thanks to the arms race in GT3.

GT4. mildly modified production cars such as Aston Martin V8 Vantage, McLaren 570s etc. Safety equipment such as a rollcage, some mild suspension and aero modification but it differs from car to car.

GT3. extensively modified production cars such as McLaren 650s, Mercedes AMG GT GT3, BMW M6 GT3. The car is extensively modified from front to back, all areas of the car changed especially in the way of aero, drivetrain etc.

GTE. very extensively modified production cars but nearly prototypes these days compared to the old days of NGT GT2 ten years ago. Porsche 911 RSR, Ferrari 488 GT etc. The cars even more modified then GT3 cars and more often run by factory teams in WEC and IMSA as opposed to GT3 cars which are built mainly to be run by customer teams with some support from the factory for national series and other series such as Blancpain etc

Last edited by rich07; 13 Sep 2017 at 01:50.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 01:51 (Ref:3766420)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
imagine this will get moved really quick

however

A Guide through the Confusing World of GT Classes
Old 13 Sep 2017, 05:30 (Ref:3766437)   #4
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason I posted under this sub form rather than Sports cars is that few Aussies read that sub form, but is important to get as wide an audience as possible for this topic.
This because one of these classes, particularly GT4, may possibly take the place of V8 Supercars when that eventually dies, and it is wise to be informed on what these classes actually are.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 10:12 (Ref:3766479)   #5
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The reason I posted under this sub form rather than Sports cars is that few Aussies read that sub form, but is important to get as wide an audience as possible for this topic.
This because one of these classes, particularly GT4, may possibly take the place of V8 Supercars when that eventually dies, and it is wise to be informed on what these classes actually are.

No worries mate just trying to help answer you questions as best as possible. There are some Aussies in the Sportscar forum but they don't post regularly
Old 15 Sep 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3767064)   #6
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
GT4? Really? I like the class, but in terms of spectacle they really aren't much to write home about. I really doubt that they'd be attractive to the average V8 fans - at least unless significantly modified.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 18:39 (Ref:3767179)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
GT4? Really? I like the class, but in terms of spectacle they really aren't much to write home about. I really doubt that they'd be attractive to the average V8 fans - at least unless significantly modified.
GT4 will replace GT3, I am sure of that. Will it be in 3 years or 6 years. I don't know.
Old 16 Sep 2017, 05:46 (Ref:3767298)   #8
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
It's a tricky one with GT4 being more or less production cars, while GT3 are overly modified with little resemblance to the original car.

For example, with the NSX GT3... it would seem only the engine and the basic floorplan and original aluminium spaceframe is stock -- everything else: not even close to stock! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du1ycKBn2cg The others like R8 etc are broadly similar in modification.