Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 23 Nov 2008, 21:53 (Ref:2340406)   #1
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Hawthorn - Golden Boy

If there's one book I'd recommend you add to your xmas list this year its this title. It may be on the expensive side (£55) but it has to be the best motorsport book I've ever read!

It's truly brilliant in the way the book has managed to mix description from the authors, memories from people who knew Mike and collections of photographs and memorobilia. The Hawthorn era was long before I was born but this book has brought it to life. If anyone has read 'Mon Ami Mate' this is the perfect compagnion as it focuses on Mike the person rather more so than a recount of his racing career.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 07:56 (Ref:2340567)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Where has this been announced? I've got Mon Ami Mate and this does sound interesting.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 08:31 (Ref:2340582)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This bodes well as a book that you cannot put down, given that its launch date was last thursday (20th!), and Gaz has read it already!

A definitive book about Hawthorn is long over due and if this is it, that's great. I look forward to reading other posters comments.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2340693)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmm, wonder if I can persuade someone to buy this for me...
Old 24 Nov 2008, 17:18 (Ref:2340894)   #5
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can buy it through the Mike Hawthorn fan site which if you haven't visited it is a real treat. I had mine on pre-order and spent the whole weekend with my nose stuck in it! Its very different to Mon Ami Mate - whereas that book focuses on his racing career this book focuses more on his life away from the track. The quality of the photo's both of him at the time and of memrobilia collected are as good if not better than the words.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2357045)   #6
kitkent
Rookie

kitkent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes,I can thoroughly recommend this book.It's my xmas present so haven't read it yet. I went to the book launch which was quite a big event,this book definitely takes a different approach- it's not by any means just a racing record,it's a lot more besides. Very highly recommended by me anyway.