Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 May 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1298340)   #1
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ba Tyre Wear/vy Hms Fuel Usage?

Two subject i would value comments on!

Generally the BAs seem to still "use up" tyres (particularly rears) more than the VY, what do people think?

Also it seems the VY/HMS engine uses more fuel than the 18degree and BA engine, Rick Kelly mentioned this recently.

Fuel usage is a major factor at Bathurst-will this give the Falcon the edge in the enduros? HRT seem to have the best overall car speed in WA ,

could this harm the chances of the lead VY teams in the enduros?

Remember back how much importance Fred Gibson placed on the economy of his Winfield Commodores saving lengthy pitstops and time loss overall.
Old 11 May 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1298738)   #2
hrt_rulz01
Racer

Australia
Australia
hrt_rulz01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i remember the HRT engine guys saying that the HMS engines used more than the 18 degree engines. oh well. they should fix that up after more development. as for the tyre theory, i would have to agree. the holdens seem to look after their tyres easier!
Old 12 May 2005, 01:35 (Ref:1298810)   #3
stmorri
Veteran

stmorri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrt_rulz01
i remember the HRT engine guys saying that the HMS engines used more than the 18 degree engines. oh well. they should fix that up after more development. as for the tyre theory, i would have to agree. the holdens seem to look after their tyres easier!
I'll be surprised if the Holden teams improve the fuel consumption on the HMS engine, the general opinion in these matters is that the more power that is produced is equal to an equivolent amount of extra fuel usage and as for the tyre wear situation, the extra downforce from the Holden rear wing would account for that......now back to the parity debate on a new rear wing for the Ford boys.
Old 12 May 2005, 02:20 (Ref:1298822)   #4
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THE Holden boys shoud ask Brockie for a Polariser - or fit a Hi-Clone!
Old 12 May 2005, 02:23 (Ref:1298823)   #5
jaytor
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
jaytor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets keep parity out of this......I think everybody has had enough of it!
Old 12 May 2005, 03:56 (Ref:1298840)   #6
beefybloke
Rookie

beefybloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fuel economy remains an important factor. But I think if you asked a team (especially a driver) if they would prefer 5% better economy or 5% more power, the answer would be almost unanimous for the power increase.

With so many safety car periods at Bathurst these days, I don't think ultimate economy is the key aim anymore.

The older 18 degree Chev has had 10 years of development on it compared with a couple for the aurora based motor. I think in time fuel economy will improve in the newer motor, but for now, most would be chasing power. Especially HRT. Their recent engine develpoment has not had economy in the top 3 priorities.

I think it seems to be working, with Skaife's car very, very fast in WA. The Creek will show up who's got the neddies though....should be interesting.
Old 12 May 2005, 04:03 (Ref:1298843)   #7
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst is one of those circuits you can short-shift at and it wont affect your lap time too much.

Also, as eluded to in an earlier post, the amount of safety cars that bathurst has, should help Holden preserve fuel.

Besides, arent tyres more of an issue in recent years then fuel anyway
Old 12 May 2005, 09:43 (Ref:1299018)   #8
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All you have to do is look at Holden's recent history at bathurst and fuel economy does not seem to be a hindrance at all. The enduros will be good for the red army, guaranteed. As they always are (well, bathurst anyway)

As for rear tyre wear, I dont see the SBR cars suffering too much. Tyre wear is a direct effect of good car setup, a good chassis and brains used in driving. When it comes to wear, there are good holdens and good fords as well as s**thouse holdens and s**thouse fords.

Rear wing downforce might affect wear, but the real issue is balance and a good setup on a sorted chassis overcomes this with the front end sorted in harmony with the rear. Thats my opinion anyway.
Old 12 May 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1299043)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nedos, we have never seen the HMS win bathurts though last year there were six fords before the first HMS, so its still fdifficult to say
Old 12 May 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1299048)   #10
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If super cheap racing still use the older chev engine, it might be a mute point

I think the point about safety cars will ensure that most teams will tune their cars for maximum grunt so they'll all be as bad as each other.
Old 12 May 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1299162)   #11
Ozfords
Racer

Australia
Blue Mountains
Ozfords should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was convinced that the larger footprint of the Falcon was to blame for the increased rear tyre usage.

The Holden's is just that bit smaller. Heck, Ford has been making Falcons bigger for years, Holden is just playing catch up.
Old 12 May 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1299436)   #12
hrt_rulz01
Racer

Australia
Australia
hrt_rulz01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well we'll find out soon enough. by eastern creek, every holden team will have the HMS engine!
Old 12 May 2005, 22:50 (Ref:1299515)   #13
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst also isn't a hugely tyre sensitive circuit either.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 12 May 2005, 23:36 (Ref:1299531)   #14
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty05
Bathurst also isn't a hugely tyre sensitive circuit either.
True, but it's all comparitive: if a particular car uses it's tyres quicker than the one next to it, it will suffer for it... even at Bathurst, with historical examples such as #17 in 1995 (and Gardner's first stint that year), Brock's Sierras,
Old 13 May 2005, 04:55 (Ref:1299623)   #15
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfords
I was convinced that the larger footprint of the Falcon was to blame for the increased rear tyre usage.

The Holden's is just that bit smaller. Heck, Ford has been making Falcons bigger for years, Holden is just playing catch up.
IIRC, Project Blueprint stnadardised front/rear track for both cars, and I thought wheelbase was pretty much identical too.

The Falcon did have a wider front track, but Commodore where allowed to increase it to match which would suggest the bigger the footprint, the better.

The BA does have less downforce than the Commodore but i'd say tyre wear is pretty much even when comparing like teams, ie SBR to HRT etc
Old 13 May 2005, 05:00 (Ref:1299625)   #16
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfords

IIRC, Project Blueprint stnadardised front/rear track for both cars, and I thought wheelbase was pretty much identical too.

The Falcon did have a wider front track, but Commodore where allowed to increase it to match which would suggest the bigger the footprint, the better.

The BA does have less downforce than the Commodore but i'd say tyre wear is pretty much even when comparing like teams, ie SBR to HRT etc
Old 13 May 2005, 06:24 (Ref:1299652)   #17
Dobbo89
Rookie

Australia
Mayfield
Dobbo89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned pony
THE Holden boys shoud ask Brockie for a Polariser - or fit a Hi-Clone!
good to hear from you stoned pony, now that bev's gone the polariser and "herbal" tea will make a big come-back.

As for feul useage, I thought it was fantastic that Jum could do the 43 something laps doing 2:15/16's back in '97 (don't quote me i have ARBD) it would of sunk perkins bar the uni joint safety car or no safety car